Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tubeless question - air compressor?
Quote | Reply
What’s everyone using to change their tubeless tires at home? I have my gravel bike and two sets of wheels set up tubeless and I want to switch tires around but only have a standard Leyzene pump and want to be able to change the tires at home. It seems like a cheap air compressor from Harbor Freight is the most versatile because I could possibly use it for other functions. I know they now sell bike pumps with a big chamber but those are way more expensive than an air compressor. Would love to hear about people’s home setup for this purpose. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless question - air compressor? [sake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use a large air compressor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Air compressor, it pays for itself in the quarters I don’t put in the gas station machine each fall to top off the car tires. Got a cheap pancake compressor that worked fine but sounded like a mini gun in my garage so I replaced it with a California Air Supply which was much quieter. Plan on investing in some hoses and attachments (schraeder/presta/air gun/quick connects) to get the most out of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pancake compressor or you can use a charge tank that you pump up with your regular bike pump. Then you use the charge tank to release a big volume of air quickly into the tire.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless question - air compressor? [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dktxracer wrote:
Pancake compressor or you can use a charge tank that you pump up with your regular bike pump. Then you use the charge tank to release a big volume of air quickly into the tire.

I've been using this- the 1st brand to make them properly was 'Airshot' (from South Wales, UK). Schwalbe make one too under licence- they call it a 'tyre booster'.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/...amp;tag=hydrukspg-21

I've been using the Schwalbe one for a few years now. For me it's used on mtb wheels as I've not gone to Tubeless on the road bike yet (will do so when the current non-tubeless tyres are worn out).

You pressurise it to 100-150psi with a normal track pump, then attach the hose to your wheel's valve, then turn the 1/4 turn knob which discharges into your tyre on the wheel. (Its of course not 150psi in your wheel as the volume has increased).

Always worked for me well.

I can see a compressor is handy for other stuff- just needs a reservoir big enough to be give that sudden whoosh of air into the tyre to make it seat.

The other benefit of the airshot is its portable in the car eg if travelling or (more so for the mtb) on a bit of a road trip where there's always a reasonable chance of having to change tyre if say the side wall gets ripped.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A CO2 will do the job (it provides the quick rush of air needed to seat the bead). People often use this as a "hack," but at ~$1 per cartridge calculate how many times you'll need to seat a tire and it very might well be the low cost option.

Using a CO2 (in action):
https://www.youtube.com/...lexDowsett&t=510

Pros:
Low/no upfront cost
Easily transportable
Probably already have them (no waiting)

Cons:
Cost per use
Wasteful (though you don't have to buy another gadget, and the cylinders are easily recycled steel)
Don't get to buy another shop toy (compressors are handy for inflating bike/car tires and when washing your bike)

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this has been my go-to for many years. cheap. does the job. however, last month i added this to the stable. very fast, pretty quiet, and doubles the CFM. i added this one because of other jobs on the property. air tools. specifically a T post driver that required a lot more CFM. whatever you get should be a tool, not a bike tool. it should handle whatever jobs you have around the property.

one thing, if i might wax epidemiological. i bought this at lowes, but i would have bought it at home depot, even tho home depot's prices was $10 higher. alas, home depot was out and i needed it quickly for that T post project (i'm refencing the perimeter of the compound). i don't about others, but our local lowes does not take the pandemic seriously, and takes a very cavalier approach to mask wearing. me, being a science believer and all, do take this seriously and our local home depot is much more vigilant. so, if this is a corporate-wide posture, i would recommend a store other than lowes if this particular compressor that i just got is of interest.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Oct 17, 20 13:06
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless question - air compressor? [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I've been using this- the 1st brand to make them properly was 'Airshot' (from South Wales, UK). Schwalbe make one too under licence- they call it a 'tyre booster'.

I've been using the Schwalbe one for a few years now. For me it's used on mtb wheels as I've not gone to Tubeless on the road bike yet (will do so when the current non-tubeless tyres are worn out).

You pressurise it to 100-150psi with a normal track pump, then attach the hose to your wheel's valve, then turn the 1/4 turn knob which discharges into your tyre on the wheel. (Its of course not 150psi in your wheel as the volume has increased).

Always worked for me well.

I can see a compressor is handy for other stuff- just needs a reservoir big enough to be give that sudden whoosh of air into the tyre to make it seat.

The other benefit of the airshot is its portable in the car eg if travelling or (more so for the mtb) on a bit of a road trip where there's always a reasonable chance of having to change tyre if say the side wall gets ripped.[/quote]
I use the airshot and it works fine for me, mtb and road. As you say it's the portability I like. I also have one of these from Milkit . I've never actually needed to use it for air but sometimes I just do an all day ride on the mtb and because I can use it as a water bottle it's not too much wasted space to carry it just in case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wait another month until the sales at Lowes start rolling around and get a small compressor kit. keep the nail gun and other items it will come with for various projects, or sell them and pay for half of the purchase. everyone should have a compressor around, throw in tubeless and its a no brainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just use an airshot. It’s worked fine. I’d better an air compressor is a bit simpler but I rarely change my tires so the airshot is fine. I have thought about an air compressor as I co uld use it both for tubeless tires and to blast water from chain and cassette when cleaning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This one is quieter than most, which I appreciate. You certainly don't need to pair it with the Enve Pressure Station, but together they are about as good as it gets.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless question - air compressor? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
A CO2 will do the job (it provides the quick rush of air needed to seat the bead). People often use this as a "hack," but at ~$1 per cartridge calculate how many times you'll need to seat a tire and it very might well be the low cost option.

Using a CO2 (in action):

Pros:
Low/no upfront cost
Easily transportable

Cons:
Cost per use
Wasteful (though you don't have to buy another gadget, and the cylinders are easily recycled steel)
Don't get to buy another shop toy (compressors are handy for inflating bike/car tires and when washing your bike)

I go the CO2 route for tubeless (if a normal floor pump won't work). I live in a one bedroom apartment and don't have a garage, so a compressor isn't going to work. I've looked at the pumps that have the tubeless 'charge canister'... but have enough CO2s left that I haven't yet needed to buy a new pump. Plus my main setup right now is with tubes, so my cheap Topeak pump does the job.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sake wrote:
What’s everyone using to change their tubeless tires at home? I have my gravel bike and two sets of wheels set up tubeless and I want to switch tires around but only have a standard Leyzene pump and want to be able to change the tires at home. It seems like a cheap air compressor from Harbor Freight is the most versatile because I could possibly use it for other functions. I know they now sell bike pumps with a big chamber but those are way more expensive than an air compressor. Would love to hear about people’s home setup for this purpose. Thanks

I own 5 air compressors, unless I lost count. 2 big ones at work and 3 at home. Everyone needs at least one air compressor. Go get one today! Tons of uses. I wouldn’t get Harbor a freight. Get a Stanley Bostitch, Dewalt, Porter Cable, DeVilbiss, or other name brand so you can order parts if you need to fix it someday.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless question - air compressor? [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
sake wrote:

I own 5 air compressors, unless I lost count. 2 big ones at work and 3 at home. Everyone needs at least one air compressor. Go get one today! Tons of uses. I wouldn’t get Harbor a freight. Get a Stanley Bostitch, Dewalt, Porter Cable, DeVilbiss, or other name brand so you can order parts if you need to fix it someday.

i agree. where harbor freight has gotten really good are generators. but compressors, yes, mine are dewalt and bostich. harbor freight, you have to pick your spots.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I’m just super cheap, but I got an old 2L fizzy drinks bottle, wrapped it in duck tape to prevent it exploding when I pump
It to 60psi, and drilled two holes in the cap to put cut off valve stems in. Took the core out of one of the stems, and attached a piece of tubing to it. Put a kink in the tubing to stop the air escaping, pump the bottle to 60 psi, attach the tubing to your valve, and unkink the hose. I’ve been using the same bottle to seat mountain bike tyres, probably on average one every couple of months for the last 7 years. Never failed!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Compressor is the way to go. Mine gets more use than seating tubeless tires. I use to fill car and motorcycle tires, to drive my nail gun recently to install a wood floor in my loft and put in a oak stairway. For my impact and air ratchet when I was building my Harley engine. I use an air sprayer when I wash my Harley to blow off the water then chamois in to dry it. Once you have a compressor you wonder how you ever lived with out one.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless question - air compressor? [gregk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregk wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

Using a CO2 (in action):

Pros:
Low/no upfront cost
Easily transportable

Cons:
Cost per use

I go the CO2 route for tubeless (if a normal floor pump won't work). I live in a one bedroom apartment and don't have a garage, so a compressor isn't going to work. I've looked at the pumps that have the tubeless 'charge canister'... but have enough CO2s left that I haven't yet needed to buy a new pump. Plus my main setup right now is with tubes, so my cheap Topeak pump does the job.

The only problem with this method is if you need to use C02 to reseat the tube after putting sealant in. I've been told that the C02 will ruin the sealant.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless question - air compressor? [jhammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jhammond wrote:
gregk wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

Using a CO2 (in action):

Pros:
Low/no upfront cost
Easily transportable

Cons:
Cost per use

The only problem with this method is if you need to use C02 to reseat the tube after putting sealant in. I've been told that the C02 will ruin the sealant.

Seat tyre with co2 cylinder, let co2 out, pump up with normal air.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
to add to this thread i splurged and got a park tool bike shop tire inflator.

https://www.parktool.com/.../shop-inflator-inf-2

i cringed when i saw the price and i really went back on forth on it, but once ive used it and my air compressor over my floor pump i really, REALLY like it. i wish the gauge was as accurate as my silca digital pump, but just for daily workouts and rides its not that big a deal.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless question - air compressor? [jhammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jhammond wrote:
gregk wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

Using a CO2 (in action):

Pros:
Low/no upfront cost
Easily transportable

Cons:
Cost per use

Yes, this can happen. It's not really a problem for me, however. I normally only need to use a CO2 on the first inflation (which I do without any sealant, just to pop the beads in to place... then let the CO2 out and install the sealant). If the tire/wheel fit is so loose that it is always needing reseating, I will install additional layers of tubeless tape to build up the diameter of the rim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've nothing to add with respect to your question.

But most of these tubeless threads dealing with the effort involved in using them don't make me want to rush out and buy the hardware (new wheels, tires, tape, sealant, (air compressor?), etc.) and then deal with the labor involved in going tubeless. Granted, I only do road riding and flats haven't been a big issue for me. I'm happy changing a tube every now and then on my existing wheels using my current skill set. If I still did MTB or CX I'd probably have a different outlook.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.harborfreight.com/2-gallon-135-psi-ultra-quiet-hand-carry-jobsite-air-compressor-64596.html

I have the Harbor Freight Fortress. It's about double the price of a similar sized (volume and CFM) cheap pancake compressor, but it's a lot more quiet. I've been happy with it. I think I've had it for a little over a year now. I don't have any faith in the gauges that are on it, but i really just use it to seat the tires on, and then i switch to a silca digital pump to dial in the pressures.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My tubeless setup. I'm relatively new to the tubeless game, but I had a compressor already. So I rigged up a system for inflating tubeless tires. Works like a charm.

Mike Sparks

I have competed well, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an airshot canister and it works great when I need it, but more often than not I'm able to seat my tubeless tires, both road and gravel, with just a normal floor pump.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a harbor fright air compressor. Believe I have gotten 4 sets of tires done with it so far. Don't forget the 25% off coupon!

The bike pumps with the big chamber make me laugh. That is a huge marketing hype.
Quote Reply

Prev Next