Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [johnpostmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really enjoyed reading everyone's feedback as the month comes to a close.

Personally, although I decided to drink on my birthday, it has been a real success and eyeopener.

To think I have disregarded DJan previously as it is the month my birthday falls. It has taught me a huge amount. One example is my new appreciation for calisthenics and body movement based on changing my weekend habits. It has given me yet another example how to physically go outside my comfort zone for another many years. At 46 years old, I really appreciate that.

Chapeau everyone.

And here's to a DFeb - ha ha....once I have enjoyed a couple of beers this weekend : )
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, everyone?

WE MADE IT!!!!

Great job to all partaking this month. I hope today was easier than yesterday, and way easier than the first of the year.

My takeaways have been mostly physical, which is fine because I’d much rather be rational about my choice to drink or not. I killed it this month with training. I think the true recovery and the absence of “recovering from recovery” helped a lot in that respect. So moving forward, I’m going to give myself the choice to drink the night before a rest day, and at least for now have one “floater” day during the week to have that option. IM training is getting harder so that choice will hopefully be naturally easier.

Huge thanks to everyone for humoring my daily check-ins, I hope they helped you as much as they helped me.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You've been an awesome accountabilibuddy!
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scheherazade wrote:
I quit facebook back in 2012, way before it was cool to quit facebook. Haven't looked back since.

I've never tried quitting chocolate or sweets but I think I'd have to be tactical about choosing when to quit that to avoid birthdays etc

Good on you. In the past years I have let it go from January to April but opened it up in early May in order to respond to birthday messages (don't want to appear rude). Maybe this will be the year that I give up for good.

I could eat chocolate 24/7, so I do this to rid myself of sugar cravings. Let's see how long I can continue this year.

My race site: https://racesandplaces.wixsite.com/racesandplaces
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, everyone?

WE MADE IT!!!!

Great job to all partaking this month. I hope today was easier than yesterday, and way easier than the first of the year.

My takeaways have been mostly physical, which is fine because I’d much rather be rational about my choice to drink or not. I killed it this month with training. I think the true recovery and the absence of “recovering from recovery” helped a lot in that respect. So moving forward, I’m going to give myself the choice to drink the night before a rest day, and at least for now have one “floater” day during the week to have that option. IM training is getting harder so that choice will hopefully be naturally easier.

Huge thanks to everyone for humoring my daily check-ins, I hope they helped you as much as they helped me.

Thank you for your encouragement and support!
Yes we did make it (even with my birthday on the 9th)

CJ
2x Old Slow IM
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [HeyCJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
as previously posted this was not a "no-alcohol" month for me, but ultra-low, about 2-3 oz total.

I had a thought -- what will/do I pay for to improve the quality of life. I'll spend money on supplements (D and calcium), all sorts of gym gizmos and kit (bands, balls, ankle weights, etc etc) and, in recent years, natural sleep aids like melatonin, passionflower, magnesium, etc. If I could afford it and believed in it, I would spend more.

What I realised this month is that you don't have to buy it, you just have to not drink for a couple weeks. Sleep has been incredible -- luxuriant even. What's interesting is it was a build like anything else -- the longer I didn't drink, the better it got.

Anyway I'm in for Lent. Thanks for all the encouragement, very fun reading.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've seen this thread pop up over the past couple of years. And I remember thinking "this is absolutely the stupidest thing ever. WHY? What is the purpose? Dumb!" So I've never joined in, and didn't really care to.

This year, however I still didn't join...but I did do it. I told myself to see if I can give up alcohol for 4 months leading up to my May race (st.g). I'm injury prone (missed the last couple of years because i'm falling apart slowly), and I thought maybe this would help me shed a few pounds and to just try it. I don't drink much. One glass of good scotch 2-3 a week, and an occasional beer. So I didn't think this would really be that hard, and MAYBE it would be beneficial (though I highly doubted it).

Summary: The first week was a sonofabitch!!!!! All I wanted was a drink. Not much, just something. Then toss in all the NFL playoff crap happening and all the beer and brats that were being served, and F-------------CK!!!!! But I did it. After the first couple of weeks it wasn't hard at all. Didn't even think about it. No clue if it had ANY health impacts other than I was finally able to drop 7 lbs that I couldn't, no matter what training I did. Do I feel better: no clue. Training is still painful and long, and I rarely look forward to them. But nothing hurts on me...so that's nice.

So yeah. This really isn't that bad of an idea and I take back all the bad things I said about all of you (while reading the thread prior). Here's to the next 3 months and what they hold.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [HeyCJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I made it! It was pretty fun. I agree with others. I took 2 inches off my waistline since November. Though that was my primary goal and I was doing all sorts of other things at the same time, I'm pretty sure that this thread as a secondary goal were a part of that.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just wanted to add my support from the sidelines. It is great when a community can come together and help each other achieve mutual goals. I agree with Kiki, about things being like a "build" and things getting better as the body and mind adjust to a new norm.

Well done to everyone. Also there are threads on the go for those who want to throw the same mentality into swimming or running. Tigerchik posts the monthly swim thread where you'll get the same supportive peer group trying to improve there swimming and you're just on time for the back half of the 100/100 for running, where likewise there is a peer group encouraging each other to get out there!!!!

Now if I can use the mentality on all these threads to get my caffeine down. I used to have a system where I am not allowed to have ANY caffeine after 12 pm no matter what time zone i am in, so the caffeine gets 11 hours to clear my system (half life is around 6 hours) and not interfere with my sleep/recovery. Since I started my tech startup, I find myself cheating and going into the late afternoon with too much caffeine......less alcohol + less caffeine = better recovery = better fitness.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

Now if I can use the mentality on all these threads to get my caffeine down.

Now THAT is batshit crazy talk.

I could give up alcohol, if I wanted. /pink But caffeine? Cold dead hands, man... Cold dead hands.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [SBR0510] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was wondering what you landed up buying in the end, and was there a discernible difference to your enjoyment?
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So yeah. This really isn't that bad of an idea and I take back all the bad things I said about all of you (while reading the thread prior). Here's to the next 3 months and what they hold.
Its called empathy. If we all had that in mind when going through threads that make us wince, then I think this would be a lot better, and nicer place. Its an old saying, but putting yourself in someones else shoes's is a very good phrase that we all should live by. Good job there for you, it seems like you have struggled a bit, so that makes the end result sweeter.
So how was everyone's come off the month party?? I have drank one whole beer since, and that was at a lunch in the middle of the day!! Have a cold now, but I plan to have a few this week at out camp up here, but the necessity is pretty much gone, just like the taste..
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [Coffeeaddict87] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a quick note as a lurker to say thanks for starting this again for 2019 and congrats to all who took the plunge, including myself. This was my second year doing this and it's a great way to start the year!

For me, it's weekends - esp Friday evenings. Normal to down a six pack at least... and maybe a few less on Saturday.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been caffeine-free for the past decade after being a hospital-grade sludgy java coffee pot hugger for several years. If you need any advice or encouragement, let me know :)

Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

So how was everyone's come off the month party?? I have drank one whole beer since, and that was at a lunch in the middle of the day!! Have a cold now, but I plan to have a few this week at out camp up here, but the necessity is pretty much gone, just like the taste..

Alcohol and I are no longer BFFs. The older I get the harder the re-entry becomes. I had one glass of wine last Saturday evening and I couldn't finish dinner, I was too tired to eat. Super Bowl Sunday, I started and then didn't finish like three different beers. WHO AM I ANYMORE.

It's a recovery week in my IM plan, so I'm being a bit more lax (I've had two whole beers this week), but once build starts up again I'll be in dry dock. I loved how I felt during this last build and I absolutely attribute the lack of booze to that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in the same boat as Dr_C - hubby and I split a bottle of wine on Feb 01; I tossed and turned all night and felt like poop the next day. Last year I fell back into regular drinking pretty easily, not this year.

That said, the plan is to have burgers for supper tomorrow and all through January I was thinking a burger and a beer would be nice. So I kind of want a beer tomorrow; or maybe I only think I do.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow, me too. Two glasses of wine on the 2nd and felt like I had been hit by a truck on the 3rd. Nothing since.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Its called empathy. If we all had that in mind when going through threads that make us wince, then I think this would be a lot better, and nicer place. Its an old saying, but putting yourself in someones else shoes's is a very good phrase that we all should live by. Good job there for you, it seems like you have struggled a bit, so that makes the end result sweeter.

I still haven't had a drink, so today being the 8th that would be 39 days straight. I plan on riding it out as long as I can, so likely till the 16th when my wife takes me out to dinner for my birthday.

I'm only a couple beers a week on the weekend type of drinker so it's not like I was cutting back from multiple drinks daily.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My third time around for this and i finally figured out i'd rather wake up early with a clear head and do some yoga vs tired and groggy.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [Trick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went as far as putting three beers in the fridge last Thursday (7th), but there they still sit. I have a race on 24th, so I may as well just keep going.

My race site: https://racesandplaces.wixsite.com/racesandplaces
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [Jigsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've found some alcohol free IPA and APA in local store. They taste like alcoholic beer but without hangover.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [johnpostmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Enjoying my last beer of the year. And last beer (hopefully) until February 2020, or longer.

I’ve failed the last two years in making it through January without a drink, here’s to this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [AB2914] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am 50/50 the last 2 years. Looking forward to No-Alcohol January. Feeling ready for it.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [sfdhoseman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did this two years ago, succeeded, and am going to have another go at it. I've fallen back into some bad habits between Bloody's and craft beers and want to clean my act up. The imperial stout I'm sipping now will, hopefully, be my last drink of alcohol for at least a month.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [AB2914] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for reviving this as I was hoping the good doctor would and I wouldn't have done it myself.
Quote Reply

Prev Next