Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart
Quote | Reply
Friends - I have been asked by Dan to re-start this topic. There is a similar thread below from last year where I described encouraging athletes to abstain from alcohol during January 2018 knowing for some it would be easy but others a significant challenge. A challenge that could be made easier in a group setting of likeminded athletes. Basically I'm asking you to take control of your alcohol consumption for the month. Show yourself that you can do it. And we'll help you! As one who has wine every day, and some Jack Daniels now and then, I am fully aware that this is not simple.

However, I learned a new word (which many of you might already know) last year. Micro-aggression. Or something close to that. It occurs, I'm told, when a speaker/author/poster makes some kind of statement with a positive intent, but that the listener hears it in a way that they could interpret as racist, sexist, etc. The listener disregards the intent of the speaker, using only their own filter, and calls out the speaker for what is perceived as an infraction, regardless of how pure the speaker's intent. There is no quarter given for possible variations or misuses or subtleties of the English language.

I have 20+ years of triathlon experience including 6 Kona finishes, and 20+ years at the bedside as an orthopedic surgeon. I have helped many ST athletes over the years. But have done very little here recently. I had not intended to bring this year's alcohol challenge to the ST audience for the reasons above, but I was contacted by an athlete wondering if we were doing it again. We are.

In reading the more recent posts on the 2018 thread, they seems to illustrate the above personal choices. I do not know Devashish Paul but my impression from this site is that he's one of the good guys. Wears a white hat and posts here for the good of the sport. I hope I'm not wrong. But even he is given no slack for word choices or perceived differences in approach to the issue under consideration.

Friends - I'd like to help ST athletes in the future with their musculoskeletal issues and would simply request that as our 2019 New Year's resolution, that when we see an attitude, an approach, a statement which we might feel differently, that we might pause before responding and consider the intent of the speaker. When I was an undergraduate at the Naval Academy, our calculus book used a certain phrase when illustrating the evident. The text read something like, "It's intuitively obvious to the most casual observer......"

So my New Year's request of all of us would be, "If it's intuitively obvious to the most casual observer..." that the poster's intent is honorable, but perhaps they didn't phrase something the way another might, we just let it rest. And finally, on this last day of 2018, also from the boat school, here's wishing each of you "fair winds and following seas" in your training and racing efforts in the year ahead. Oh, and that you join us in our January Challenge.

John Post

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Last edited by: Slowman: Dec 31, 18 13:27
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [johnpostmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I m in.
This is what i do every year.
Also never through the week. Only friday or saturday.
Never crazy. But 1 for the taste

Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [johnpostmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in. Last year I did "Dry" December, which was challenging with all the parties and get-togethers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m all in.

Thanks for doing this again, Dr. John. Let’s all help each other succeed in January.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll try.
Living in a tropical country, with a summer house by the beach and the sun shining bright, It wont be easy.
Buuuuuuuuuuut I have a bone bruise on my left tibia that is taking too long to heal.
I think a non alcohol month wont hurt.

OP, do you mind if I PM you with some MRI images?
Last edited by: binhopires: Dec 31, 18 12:45
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [binhopires] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Re: MRI images. Thanks for the confidence but I'm not a radiologist and really doubt that I could add much to MRI interpretation.

Good luck in your healing as I'm guessing you water run in the pool and/or have access to an Alter G machine.

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Count me in! Thanks for doing this. Please don't ask me to give up caffeine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Count me in again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm totally on board with the latter majority of the request, and it's something that I've been trying to foster in other areas of my life. But what does alcohol abstinence have to do with any of that? And aside from alcohol's dose-dependent relation to cancer (and likely other morbidities), why would anyone care how much alcohol I drink if I do it responsibly? Genuinely curious.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm in too, but that's pretty easy for me because i gave up drinking. you'll see that i edited your OP, only to properly cast Dev Paul's name (everybody butchers it here).

to be clear. alexandra paul (The Virgin Connie Swail) is an Ironman finisher. devashish paul is an Ironman finisher. some people have the last name of "paul". i do not think the two are related.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah people could get less macro-annoyed over microagressions

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In. Not that I'm a heavy drinker as I type this with a 7% local IPA in front of me, but I figure with the 100/100 challenge, this will give me another good 'retirement' goal.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would like to wish everyone who wants to reduce alcohol consumption my best. It is a complicated topic given its major role in society related to positive celebrations and peer pressure associated with consuming it, which can make it difficult if one wants to cut back. Thanks John for enabling people to embark on this path if that is what they want to. I am one of the fortunate ones who never had any physical connection to the substance and was mainly consuming it from the peer pressure associated with my early career military service. When i decided that I did not want it in my body, it was mainly the peer pressure that got in the way, and I really just had to be "that loser" drinking Perrier. But I pulled through because I wanted to.

And in fairness to others, in the other thread, my choice of wording in reference to alcohol was "putting it down" as a substance (I called it crap). I just used my value set and I know in society it is seen in most contexts as a positive thing (even though it has many many negative down sides). We're on Dec 31st and its central to this day. That is the pedestal that society puts alcohol on. That's the context people are fighting when they choose to pull it out of their lives.

On my side, my only regret is how much beer and other alcohol was pushed on us (and we gladly took in) as young servicemen. My marks in university would have been way higher if I had spent less time in bars and mindless parties and less time hung over and more time doing academics and not impairing my sport performance. But I can't change the past.

PS. I see you undergrad is from the Naval Academy. Mine is from Royal Military College of Canada. Not sure if you guys had the same pro alcohol culture, but I imagine you may have.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Dec 31, 18 16:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll give it a go. Normally it'd be pretty easy for me as I'm not much of a drinker anymore. However, I've come to enjoy a cold beer hanging out after a gravel ride. I'm sure I can find a suitable substitute though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. Definitely needed after this holiday season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All in..thanks mucho!
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan - first, Happy New Year. Second, thanks for correcting me. Third, Alexandra Paul and I both did IM Kona in 1997, and to say that she was a hit in the transition area would be an understatement. While I can not speak for Devanish Paul, I can say with certainty that AP was incredibly patient with each and every athlete who wanted their picture - pre-selfie/cell phone - with her. I no longer remember the results but she likely beat me. Regardless, her brief foray into the world of Iron distance racing left the sport, and many athlete's photo albums, better for it.

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good post John. I am in as well. Like many others hind sight can be insightful. Always makes me wonder what I was thinking. As a good friend says, to be younger and know what I know now.

What can you do for an older slightly worn triathlete?

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Count me in too. This, coupled with the 100 runs in 100 days, should get me to a good fighting weight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr John, thank you for starting this 'challenge' again this year. While I do not consume much, I understand that the 'abstinence' will do me good. I Guess one more sip of the Adictivo Tequila, for New Year's, and it goes back in the closet for a while !

And BTW, since you went to the Academy, I have to tell you, that the Shields they had were beautiful !

Happy and Safe New Year to everyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in, with as much effort as Slowman and Devashish.

I worked in the entertainment industry for a dozen or so years, and having seen the wreckage alcohol causes there alone, man, if I were more idealistic and less realistic I'd argue for the return of prohibition.
I chose not to drink alcohol, and it's good. I don't see why we should change our 'self' by using mind-altering substances. I do understand that people feel a want, need, urge, but I think there could be a solution that is not to drown your sorrows.

Anyway, I hope there's a few that stick to not drinking alcohol permanently. It may be a bit tough, but so is your first 5K that will lead to an Ironman finish. Good luck.

NO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. Did 2 months last year. I think I'll likely do that again. I enjoy drinking, but it's probably a good thing that the 4-5 am workouts force me to limit it.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
domingjm wrote:
I'm totally on board with the latter majority of the request, and it's something that I've been trying to foster in other areas of my life. But what does alcohol abstinence have to do with any of that? And aside from alcohol's dose-dependent relation to cancer (and likely other morbidities), why would anyone care how much alcohol I drink if I do it responsibly? Genuinely curious.

Agreed.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next