Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The scrouge thread: (making due with what ya got)
Quote | Reply
In light of the spending orgy that was (American Thanksgiving/Black Friday) and the spending orgy that is still to come (Christmas & Boxing Day) who here on Slowtwitch has not, and is not, planning to acquire any new stuff this season? Maybe you have a story of a piece of clothing or tri-quipment that you are still using. Post-away!

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: The scrouge thread: (making due with what ya got) [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm still pedaling in a pair of Sidi T1 shoes from 2004.
Last edited by: Floating Debris: Dec 3, 19 7:57
Quote Reply
Re: The scrouge thread: (making due with what ya got) [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am rocking two pairs of bike shorts that may date to the early 90s. They are falling apart with holes everywhere, but they work great and are comfortable. They mostly see trainer duty, but they have been in the wild recently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm riding a 15-year old Cannondale. I also still use the first set of bike shoes I bought when I got that bike. Contributing factor to both of these: I don't ride a ton.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My newest bike is an '04 Giant mountain bike. I'm planning on getting my '94 Serotta back on the road (just needs brakes), and that'll be my nice bike for group rides next year.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:
In light of the spending orgy that was (American Thanksgiving/Black Friday) and the spending orgy that is still to come (Christmas & Boxing Day) who here on Slowtwitch has not, and is not, planning to acquire any new stuff this season? Maybe you have a story of a piece of clothing or tri-quipment that you are still using. Post-away!

Bike shoes with 40,000 + miles

Does that count?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My trail running shoes have a hole in the top, but otherwise are fine. This is only an issue because I live in the land of snow. So far, thick socks are enough - hoping I don't have to resort to duct tape.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm racing tris on the same Cervelo Eyre frame I purchased in 1999. My 650 Reynolds tubular racing wheels are at least a decade old. I'm still driving to tris in my '97 Civic hatchback.

I am looking forward to getting $ for Christmas to buy some trekking poles for my 89K trail race in the Alps in May.

FYI, The character in A Christmas Carol is Scrooge.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Dec 3, 19 8:51
Quote Reply
Re: The scrouge thread: (making due with what ya got) [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:

Funny, I read the thread title as "The SCROUNGE thread"...now I'm curious which way the OP meant. lol
Quote Reply
Re: The scrouge thread: (making due with what ya got) [Mugen_EP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mugen_EP wrote:
Mark Lemmon wrote:

Funny, I read the thread title as "The SCROUNGE thread"...now I'm curious which way the OP meant. lol

Lol I did too
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2001 Aegis Trident. Granted, it's relegated to trainer duty, but still...I keep telling myself to sell it, but like another posters' '97 civic, it's paid for so why bother?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 1/4 zip fleece I run in from 1999. I have no idea how it doesn't have holes or how the seams have stayed together. It' gets heavy use in the fall, winter and spring.

It's a generic "Galyans" branded one. DIcks bought all the Galyans stores in Indy years ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have Desoto tri shorts (my favorite) circa early/mid 2000's that I still wear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My list of old stuff that I use all the time is way longer than the new stuff list.

Upcoming use of old stuff:

We have a Peloton stationary bike here at the fitness center where I work. I have an old set of Look Delta cleats that I can affix to a set of old cycling shoes, and then I will try this bike out.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Mark Lemmon [ In reply to ]
Re: The scrouge thread: (making due with what ya got) [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scrouge scrouge
transitive verb
scrouged, scroug′ing
DIAL.to crowd, squeeze, press, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a while back I bought an old specialized sirrus bike from a guy leaving the country for work and he gave me the bike, helmet, shoes(perfect fit) and bike pump all for $150. i wasnt even doing triathlon yet i just bought it for the occasional camping trip or cruise to the beach. It had bolted on aero bars as a bonus. Fast forward a couple years and I spied an almost brand new pair of Izumi Tri fly elites on ebay for $27.50, the only thing was one of the loops on the heal was busted. They are maybe a hair big but Im not complaining. I use the bike on my trainer now but I also put a new rear brake and changed out the chain and gears so hopefully it will still go another 20 years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scrouge? To crowd. To press.

Slowtwitch spellings do make me laugh...

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Re: The scrouge thread: (making due with what ya got) [LazyEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The title of the thread was, seemingly an unsuccessful attempt at a pun. A spin on the dictionary meaning of... to squeze, as in to get the most out of what you got , the other reference was to the Dickens, not Disney, character.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: The scrouge thread: (making due with what ya got) [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Sony Walkman 1 from early 80's still works.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still using a Garmin 910xt from 2012.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:
The title of the thread was, seemingly an unsuccessful attempt at a pun. A spin on the dictionary meaning of... to squeze, as in to get the most out of what you got , the other reference was to the Dickens, not Disney, character.

Thanks for the explanation and teaching me a new word. Happy Holidays!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I started getting off the couch about 12 years ago I bought a few pairs of Nike running shorts, followed shortly by a few pairs of REI running shorts. They are still perfectly good and I wear them regularly. In fact I think in the past 10ish years I have bought one pair of running shorts and that's only because I forgot to bring a pair with me on a trip and I needed an emergency pair of shorts to run in
Quote Reply
Re: The scrouge thread: (making due with what ya got) [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2008 Garmin xt here. Works well with my Powercal . Never mind the screen fogs up after two hours.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im still racing on an old Felt DA4 and I have resigned myself to the fact that its going to have to make due for yet another season of racing.
I doubt Id be any faster riding a new bike anyway. :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next