Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rachel Joyce and Frederik Van Lierde are both on P5 bikes in Melbourne. But the tri version with the covered brakes.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cool ... well except for the colour clashes ... my eyes, my eyes!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Veloflyte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Veloflyte wrote:
I hope you got my email explaining my extended absence. I've sent out numerous free items to help to calm any frayed nerves. If you ordered an IH Dust Shield from me, did you receive it yet...?

Yep, got your email and completely understand. I just got the dust shield today and it looks great. I will be ordering non 3k weave shortly for a different bike. I hope you're doing better. You have a satisfied customer!

Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
matto wrote:
My LBS claims I'll have mine by the end of April. I'll believe it when I see it, but that's what they're telling me.
My LBS is quoting 10-11 weeks, but we might be getting them later in the UK than the US.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Steve Irwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let me run a new product idea by all you future Cervelo P5 owners... I was noticing the angle formed at the back of the P5 frame where the rear brake would normally go on a regular road bicycle, directly above the rear wheel. The idea came to mind that a thin carbon fiber plate cut at a complimentary angle would fit very nicely into that spot. One would apply vinyl race numbers to the plate which are inexpensive and very visible.

What do you think...? douglas@veloflyte.com

p.s. a customer recently made the suggestion for Veloflyte to produce a much higher quality carbon fiber mount for the Garmin brand of cycling computers. There will be a finished item within the next 4-5 days. It will locate any of the Garmin GPS computers directly in front of the stem, set at a level equal to the highest point on the stem, meaning it will be flush with stem level. It's a very good idea and that particular customer will be receiving several free items for giving us such a good idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Veloflyte wrote:
Let me run a new product idea by all you future Cervelo P5 owners...

Something really useful to make would be an alternate top cover for the stem that is taller and allows leaving some some extra steerer tube to be uncut with spacers on top. More context here.

This would allow experimenting with bigger drops in front (whether for aero testing, or for doing a shorter than usual tri, etc) but give you the option to raise the bars back up afterward.

However, we'll need to see the bike to see whether that can even work. It's possible the cables run right over the top and routing them around/over would put them at too sharp of an angle. But it might be possible with some creativity, and if it is I'd buy it. If the routing issue works I was thinking of whether to just cover it with Saran wrap or something. Smile
Last edited by: matto: Mar 24, 12 19:24
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a great idea. And you are correct about needing to see the P5 first. Luckily I live in an area with tons of riders (San Jose, CA/ silicon valley) so hopefully I'll be able to get my calipers on a P5 pretty soon.

Thank you
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Veloflyte wrote:
p.s. a customer recently made the suggestion for Veloflyte to produce a much higher quality carbon fiber mount for the Garmin brand of cycling computers. There will be a finished item within the next 4-5 days. It will locate any of the Garmin GPS computers directly in front of the stem, set at a level equal to the highest point on the stem, meaning it will be flush with stem level. It's a very good idea and that particular customer will be receiving several free items for giving us such a good idea.

I haven a P5 51 on order and would definitely like to see pics of the mount you're talking about. I have a Garmin Edge 800 and it would be nice to have a good stable mount solution for it.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [ngl1145] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The problem is that the mount I'm working on is meant to go around a standard 31.8mm handlebar. I'm pretty sure the P5 bar has no such section. If there is enough interest I could easily manufacture a mount for the bars on the P5 for the Garmin GPS computers. I would need to take a very close look at the bars in order to reproduce a correctly shaped clamp. So just like the other P5 items I'm working on (race number mount, extended stem top cap, and a new Hydropack for the P5), I'll need to physically touch a P5. If there are any P5 owners in the San Francisco Bay Area, I would be happy to offer you free product to see and measure your bicycle once you receive it....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Veloflyte, I think a new universal computer mount adaptor that attaches to the P5's new 3T Aduro aerobar is interesting. Instead of producing brand/model-specific computer mounts, why not just design a standard 31.8mm diameter adaptor that you can mount any computer/ Smartphone/ sportscam adaptors?

Judging from the launch photos, if a water bottle is mounted between the extension bars - which is one of the highlights of the new bar's design - then the only real estate left to mount a computer is around the stem's top cap. This section may be too wide for some computer mounts - especially the non cable tie ones.

I would suggest that you incorporate this computer mount adaptor together with your new stem-top cap for the Aduro bar.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Discoverspeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interestingly enough, since the posting you responded to, there have been two other people very interested in a Garmin mount for the Cervelo P5 / 3T Aduro bar/stem unit. So I'll do exactly as you suggested.... create a carbon top cap for the P5/Aduro stem/bar with an incorporated mount for the Garmin GPS computers. I'm sure it will be at least a number of weeks before this item is ready however. The Garmin mount I'm working on for Standard round 31.8mm road bars will be done within the next 10 days,..and probably a little sooner.

Thank you for your help
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote from a European distributor: "We did just received notice from Cervelo, that they will not be able to provide us with the P5 model that is equipped with Shimano DuraAce Di2."

I wonder what this means. Production problems? Supply problems of Di2? Compatibility issues? Not be able to supply now or ever?
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [hgv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hgv wrote:
Quote from a European distributor: "We did just received notice from Cervelo, that they will not be able to provide us with the P5 model that is equipped with Shimano DuraAce Di2."

I wonder what this means. Production problems? Supply problems of Di2? Compatibility issues? Not be able to supply now or ever?

Where did you hear that? I just ordered an P5 here in switzerland and hope, that I will have it until the first races in may....
Last edited by: hunki: Mar 26, 12 21:57
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [hunki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hunki wrote:
Where did you hear that? I just ordered an P5 here in switzerland and hope, that I will have it until the first races in may....

Like I said, I got the info from an authorized Cervelo dealer who received the message (direct quote) from their distributor.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [hgv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hgv wrote:
hunki wrote:

Like I said, I got the info from an authorized Cervelo dealer who received the message (direct quote) from their distributor.

Very interessting... here in Switzerland nobody knows about this delay... not even the official importer.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [hunki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been checking in at p5simplyfaster or whatever the launch site was to see if the tunnel data would be posted there because well... not everything happens on ST.

However, today for the first time instead of saying "wind tunnel: coming soon" at the bottom it has "in competition: coming soon." Maybe tunnel data won't be coming?
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runless wrote:
I've been checking in at p5simplyfaster or whatever the launch site was to see if the tunnel data would be posted there because well... not everything happens on ST.

However, today for the first time instead of saying "wind tunnel: coming soon" at the bottom it has "in competition: coming soon." Maybe tunnel data won't be coming?

According to my local Cervelo dealer, the P5 isn't a whole lot faster than the P4. This is hardly because the P5 is slow, but because the P4 is really, really fast. Of course, how this plays our at different yaw angles and with different aerobars (like the Aduro, Aura, and Ventus), forks (like P5-3, P5-6, and FK26), and different bottles (round, aero, and P4) is something else. It has often been said on this forum that a test can be constructed to make any bike test "fastest" under a certain set of conditions.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No data would be a bit of a let down. And a bit of a jump backwards from the s5 launch.
Maybe Damon can chime in.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [rickn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rickn wrote:
No data would be a bit of a let down.

EDIT: Damon just confirmed in the "white paper" thread that the data is coming. Yay!
Last edited by: matto: Apr 2, 12 11:47
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Damon,

I have read all the thread on this forum but still have a question re fit and hope you could help me as I'd like to put a deposit on a P5 asap but need to make sure on the size. I have measured my current 51cm 2010 P3 frame and arm pad stack is: 625mm and arm pad reach is:465mm. Based the stackreach pdf file on cervelo's website I get two options: 1) 51cm frame with High V aerobar or 2) 54cm frame with Low aerobar.

My question what would you recommend?

I have compared geometries of P3 vs P5 and noticed that:

1. P5 top tube is shorter and considering that the seat tube angle is 79 degrees instead of 78 in the P3 makes the reach even shorter right? This means that P5 54cm has theoretically a higher reach than the P3 51cm for only 6mm but if you consider the angel of 79 instead of 78 the reach of the P5 54cm should be a shorter reach than the P3 51cm, correct?
2. Stack on the P5 is much higher specially if I get a 54cm the difference with the P3 51cm a 40mm which means I can get rid of most of the spacers I currently have on the P3 the only problem I see here is the stand over height of the P5 54cm which is 784m and my inseam is around

My My height is 1.76 mts and my inseam is 795mm.

Finally, what the max width from arm pad to arm pad (center to center) of the Aduro aerobar?

Thanks,
Rick

Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [RP29] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Rick,

You are normal :-), in that most everyone will find they can fit more than one size. You've nailed your two best options:

1) 51cm frame with High V aerobar and 15mm of aeromatched fork spacers or
2) 54cm frame with Low aerobar and 45mm of aeromatched fork spacers

I've added the number of fork spacers each set up requires (in bold), as some people have strong feelings about them.

Also consider that, for the same arm pad stack, the basebar will be relatively higher on the "Low" aerobar and relatively lower on the "High-V." (Low and high describe the elevation of the arm pads above the base bar.) Technically this shouldn't matter much since you should be in aero most of the time but again some folks feel strongly about it.

If you can accept 5mm more arm pad reach there is a third option:
3) 54cm frame with High-V aerobar and 0mm of aeromatched fork spacers

By the way: some measure arm pad reach to the back edge, we measure it to the center of the pad, so double check that we're using the same protocol. The Aduro arm pad is about 9cm front to back so use 4.5cm to convert if you've measured to the back edge.

Regarding comparing the geometry of the P3: We started the P5 with P3/P4 frame stack and reach, then added 25mm of head tube. This change (together with the larger bottom bracket drop) accounts for all the "apparent" differences in top tube length, stand over and frame stack and reach. To answer your specific questions:

1. The P5 top tube length is only shorter because of the added frame stack; the head tube axis is no closer than the P4 or P3. The change in seat tube angle isn't in the frame; we've designed the P5 seat post with a little more adjustability so the forward position gained us the 1 degree. Basically you can ignore top tube and seat tube angle and refer to arm pad stack and reach instead (as you've correctly done already).

2. Exactly right: the P5's added frame stack (and decreased frame reach) is precisely equal to replacing fork spacers with frame head tube. In your case the ~10mm of standover clearance might be a good reason to chose the smaller frame.

Max width of the Aduro arm pads is 205mm c-c. Some prefer wider arms, so 3T will be making extender plates. That said, the two M5 arm pad bolts are 25mm apart (c-c) and arranged front and back (not side by side), same as some other aero bars, so it may be that some existing extender plates from other brands could work as well.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any news about the white paper?

http://cds-0.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Epic-o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...post=3861016#3861016

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply

Prev Next