Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The New Felt IA [tristorm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tristorm wrote:
Hey Desert dude or Super Dave or anybody!

I just got an IA10 size 54, coming from a 2013 Argon e-112 (small). Did all my due due diligence wrt sizing, at least as much as I could without having a bike available to physically try.

Now I am in the process of setting it up and it feels a bit short, specifically the aerobars and pads. I have long long arms and it feels like I need a couple more centimeters seat to pads and seat to aerobar tips reach. Unsure what to do at this point- I don't want to mess with the stem. I was wondering if a new aerobar setup with longer extensions might help. Specifically looking at the ENVE system since it has J bend extensions that are long, and bars and pads that can be tilted. What do you think?

Just loosed the 4 bolts where the extensions mount to the base bar and move the extensions forward along with the arm rests.

-Dave

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi thanks for the reply!

Its the alloy basebar (bayonet 3) on my IA10- I don't think you can move the extension mount forwards ?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, you've got about 150mm of X-axis adjustment. There is a clamp on the perch for the extensions.

Read the owners manual for the bars and let me know if that helps.

SD

Quote Reply
Post deleted by tristorm [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

The armpad brackets are as far back on the extensions as possible, and the extensions are as far forward in the extension brackets as possible. I don't see in the manual how the extension brackets can be moved forward? With everything as far forward as possible as described, my hands are almost completely past the ends of the extensions when i'm in a comfortable position on the pads. In the past with regular shifters gave a bit of extra length, but with the Di2 it seems there is a few cm's missing. So its forcing me to hunch up a bit too much. Maybe I'm just too far forward altogether?

Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I created a thread for this question, but maybe it is best answered in here.

Quote:
The only aero data I have been able to find is the data Felt provided in their white paper that shows the IA against Cervelo P5 (in two setups), Felt DA and the Specialized Shiv. Is my Google-fu weak, or is there no other public data at this moment?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tristorm wrote:
Thanks!

The armpad brackets are as far back on the extensions as possible, and the extensions are as far forward in the extension brackets as possible. I don't see in the manual how the extension brackets can be moved forward? With everything as far forward as possible as described, my hands are almost completely past the ends of the extensions when i'm in a comfortable position on the pads. In the past with regular shifters gave a bit of extra length, but with the Di2 it seems there is a few cm's missing. So its forcing me to hunch up a bit too much. Maybe I'm just too far forward altogether?

I see, then you may be looking at new uncut extensions. Perhaps your Felt dealer has some? Felt used to leave the extensions uncut which required them to be trimmed 99% of the time. They now come cut at a "reasonable" length which means 10% of the time they are too short.

-SD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This bike loves wind. Another windy, blustery day yesterday. Another great ride on the IA16. With all these big tubes, I was a little concerned about how the bike would handle in gusting winds, but it just bites into the wind and sails away. I've ridden with 32 spoke training wheels and with Hed3/disc and it has been solid as a rock.

First race is in Miami Beach, April 3; can't wait!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's been very windy here in Austin, but I've noticed I've gotten thrown around a bit on my IA10. I mean nothing crazy but I wouldn't characterize my bike as "loving the wind". I also have a 58 which has a very large surface area up front.

I'm racing Galveston April 10th which I've heard can be very, very windy. I'm actually slightly concerned that I'll get thrown around a bit on her once I put racing wheels on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave,

Before you leave Felt for 3T can you "accidently" have a 54cm Felt IA14 or IA16 shipped to me.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, you missed your chance. I left already and just threw away the dozen I was hoarding. Check the dumpster.

SD

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Killing me ;-)

Congrats on the new gig!

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats SuperDave!!

Having just bought my first Felt, I quickly realized you were the guy to pay attention to on this thread. Sad to see you go. Could you please make sure we get an equally intelligent and likeable replacement ;) Extra credit if they also champion our need for a more useable calpac!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave
Thanks for all of your valuable input and information over the years. Best of luck at the new job!

And as someone else said, hope your replacement at Felt keeps up the involvement here!
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [clydecat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I finally broke down and went for the IA16. Got it from The Bike & Trip Shop here in MI. Tom Demerly did my fit and did a great job and Scott Parr tweaked a few things for me on it. I had them install my TriRig Omega brake on the front and my Rotor Flow crank. Here is a picture of it that the shop posted on their FB page.

We got close to 12" of snow the other day, so haven't had a chance to take it outside yet. Hopefully this weekend as it is supposedly going to get up to the 50s.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [burninglegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bike looks great. I hope you get to ride it soon. Where does your front brake cable go? It doesn't look like it goes straight up to the base bar.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah that picture is a little weird. Not sure if it is the angle or what. Honestly, I probably need to trim a few mm of housing and cable off to clean things up. The shop installed an in-line barrel adjuster for the front brake. I'll see how I like it and if I feel I need it.

Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
smt wrote:

Just curious what the TriRig AlphaX has advantage wise over the Felt Bayonet 3 basebar that comes on the IAx bikes? I assume more aero with a little more adjustability for fit?

Probably not more than 30 grams of drag and extension tilt could make up for more than that. See results for the classic alpha:

The Felt Bayonet 3 is a nice stock aerobar. Sure, it isn't the sexiest looking thing compared to something like a TriRig Alpha X or something similar. But it is pretty aero and has a lot of fit adjustments. Aerobar upgrade is not the place to look imo for more speed on the IA. I think after one gets a great fit, wheels and some wind tunnel time are better bets than a +$1000 aerobar upgrade. Could get a set of new Flo wheels for the $1000 or if one already has nice wheels, that could be put towards some time in a wind tunnel.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not leaving slowtwitch, just Felt. I would not expect there to be a replacement but I'm happy to answer your Felt questions. After 14+ years and having just completed the product design for the 2017 models I'll still likely have the answers.

Calpac V2.0 is coming.

-SD

Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [burninglegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burninglegs wrote:

The Felt Bayonet 3 is a nice stock aerobar. Sure, it isn't the sexiest looking thing compared to something like a TriRig Alpha X or something similar. But it is pretty aero and has a lot of fit adjustments. Aerobar upgrade is not the place to look imo for more speed on the IA. I think after one gets a great fit, wheels and some wind tunnel time are better bets than a +$1000 aerobar upgrade. Could get a set of new Flo wheels for the $1000 or if one already has nice wheels, that could be put towards some time in a wind tunnel.

The surprising thing is just how much better it is than the Zipp Vuke alumina. Although less suprising when you look at it from the front and see how much more of it is aero profile instead of the round section.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim,

Have you found any stems that work on the IA10 to get lower than the stock stem?

Thanks,
Gareth
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Gjadams] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gjadams wrote:
Jim,

Have you found any stems that work on the IA10 to get lower than the stock stem?

Thanks,
Gareth

Only the TriRig and the Felt work due to the short clamping area of the fork. Unless you buy the IA10 frameset where you would get a longer steer tube and could use whatever stem you want.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gjadams wrote:
Jim,

Thanks,
Gareth

I just got the Felt IA Dagger stem (adapter). It is -16 degrees and 110mm. So, I little bit lower and longer which is exactly what I need.
I'll install it as soon as have some time to work on my IA10 and I can let you know how it goes. Just remind me...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gjadams wrote:
Jim,

Thanks,
Gareth

Have you tried running the extensions under the base bar?

-SD
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
burninglegs wrote:

The surprising thing is just how much better it is than the Zipp Vuke alumina. Although less suprising when you look at it from the front and see how much more of it is aero profile instead of the round section.

What about weight? Seems like the bars are heavier than Zipp Alumina. Perhaps someone from Felt can chime in on the weight of the bars. But I guess aero probably trumps weight. There are two things I don't like about the bars: 1. The arm cups could be a little bigger, similar to zipps; 2. The arm pads are pretty thin and uncomfortable. I have been debating switching out just the arm cups, or just swiping the handlebars for my zipp carbon vuka bars.
Quote Reply

Prev Next