Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The Epic gravel stage race you've been waiting for, come to Oregon
Quote | Reply

Well, I was thinking that Baker City Cycling Classic (possibly the best amateur stage race in the US) was going to be the A race for 2019, but this new event looks too hard to pass up (see what I did there)

http://www.oregontrailgravelgrinder.com/

The price tag is a little steep, but it seems like a fair value since they cover all the logistics and food, beer and entertainment.

I could probably provide logistical help (airport pickups) and some camping gear for a couple of folks, especially if you fly into Eugene.
Last edited by: tri_yoda: Dec 22, 18 18:59
Quote Reply
Re: The Epic gravel stage race you've been waiting for, come to Oregon [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Took me 20 minutes to read through everything, but that looks awesome. I would of course be a Settler, but that is no pancake ride. I love the camping aspect of the whole deal too, anyone know the temps that time of year there in Sisters??

Funny I spent a few days there last summer on a big RV trip, great little town, and a nice brewery..

Only complaint is that they need a proof reader for that site, but maybe that is part of the rawness of the whole deal..
Quote Reply
Re: The Epic gravel stage race you've been waiting for, come to Oregon [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Press 1 to hire a guide. Press 2 to ford creek on your own."
"You have lost your wagon."
"You have died of dysentery."
Quote Reply
Re: The Epic gravel stage race you've been waiting for, come to Oregon [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Monty... I'm in if you're in. Us old guys need to stick together.

M

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, that sounds pretty epic.
I'm likely doing the gravel grinder omnium in April. Depending on how that goes, I'll try this in 2020.
Quote Reply
Re: The Epic gravel stage race you've been waiting for, come to Oregon [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
"Press 1 to hire a guide. Press 2 to ford creek on your own."
"You have lost your wagon."
"You have died of dysentery."

HAHAHAHAHAHAH, you have made my day!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't even own a gravel bike but I've got a serious woody for this, looks amazing (and already put a reminder in my calendar)

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Talked to Matt Lieto about this in Kona, and was 95% in after hearing the basic details. Just have to figure how to not be blown up after DK.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That looks awesome. Glad to see some creativity after seeing amateur road stage racing slowly dying over the last decade or so.
Last edited by: trail: Dec 25, 18 10:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This looks completely awesome!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks awesome. I hope it’s offered in 2020. Look forward to reading a write up on this year’s event.
Quote Reply
Re: The Epic gravel stage race you've been waiting for, come to Oregon [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Talked to Matt Lieto about this in Kona, and was 95% in after hearing the basic details. Just have to figure how to not be blown up after DK.

DK already jumped the shark, why not get into the next Epic on the ground level? Be a true Pioneer;)

I'm hoping to drum up some interest here, because I know there is a lot of horsepower (yourself obviously included). This is 400 miles in 5 days with 30K of elevation gain, I don't think amateurs have ever been tested with this kind of parcours in a stage race. It's a rare opportunity to prove you are a real hardman. Breakway promotions put on Cascade Classic for many years, they know how to run a top notch event.

This could be Jordan's race to win, if he shows up. Is Lieto planning to race?

I'm going to Flemish week and doing the full Ronde sportif to get ready.
Last edited by: tri_yoda: Dec 24, 18 19:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AM I planning to race he says... It's my baby. Of course I'm racing!

Glad to see some excitement on here for this as it's been a long time coming. I honestly cannot wait for this week of riding, new friends, and plenty of partying. I will say, Jordan may have a chance to win, but I'm going for the "overall" victory. For that he has no chance.

Seriously though, y'all should come. It's gonna be great. Monty- I'll take a look at site for any necessary fixes. thanks. Also, it starts and finishes in Sisters, but the race is a point to point 400 mile loop, so lots of different towns each night. Pack smartly as the weather in them hills can fluctuate!

Price is the price. It certainly is alot of money but as stated it's not for what it is. It's 5 races, 5 days of meals, 5 parties everyday, and full logistic and sag support the entire day. You'd spend that much money in 5 days just eating scones and americanos in socal. If you go to the site and sign up for the newsletter you can be guaranteed entry (it's gonna sell out) and get a discount for reg.

It also has 2 route options every day so if you are haggered you can take the shorter route for "recovery". I will say, this will be a VERY hard "race". The middle stage is gonna rip some legs and derralieurs off and the other stages aren't child's play either. I do reckon for most folks it will turn into a gravel "tour" pretty quickly and with that mindset it won't be too bad. I'm bringing in some heavy hitters for it though so no question the pace up front will be pretty quick, but our post race shenanigans will make up for it.

Anyway, fire away any questions and hope to see some of y'all in June!

-Matt Lieto
Quote Reply
Re: The Epic gravel stage race you've been waiting for, come to Oregon [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you prep right for DK you'll be totally fine that's why I picked this date. 2 weeks to eat post!

Seriously though, don't get stuck into the DK overtraining train. Show up to the race FRESH if you want a good experience.

-Matt Lieto
Quote Reply
Re: The Epic gravel stage race you've been waiting for, come to Oregon [justhavefun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like a lot of fun although I’d definitely be doing it as a tour and not a race. This is definitely going on my wish list for 2020 if it happens again. Unfortunately I’ve already got a bike tour on the books for late May 2019 (Spain) and won’t be able to get away with another one.
Quote Reply
Re: The Epic gravel stage race you've been waiting for, come to Oregon [justhavefun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The price is a bargain.

Other events like Haute Route are priced for dentists. I can actually afford this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, this looks amazing! I’d love to try and pull this off - though travelling from Quebec definitely increases the time and expense.

It really does look rad though.

Don’t you worry about me. But I am a little concerned about you bonking and “getting a little emotional” or something...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, I’m planning on it. Have unfinished business at DK, then will start some new biz in OR. Cascade Cycling Classic and Baker City were two of my fav stage races, so it didn’t take much convincing (negotiations with my wife were another matter).

I did two editions of Haute Route Rockies, which were just shy of 500 miles and 50k feet of climbing, and betting this will be more taxing. Agree it’ll be a different kind of test than most anyone is used to. Glad I’ll just be there crusing and not competing.

Josh Berry will be tough to beat on that course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the best racing experiences I ever did was Columbia Plateau Stage Race, point to point Heppner-Ione-Fossil, Oregon, with gear transfer and camping on the HS football field. I am very intrigued by this.

Here’s a silly concern - it’s 2019. Will there be a gadget charging station or do I need a SON hub?
Quote Reply
Re: The Epic gravel stage race you've been waiting for, come to Oregon [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes on the proof reader & locally it stirred up thoughtful discussion regarding the use of the words settlers, pioneers & natives , oversight by the promoter anxious to get out the announcement & which the promoter has responded with an effort to do better in the future.
Some of the comments on the thread from the event promo announcement.

"Oregon Gravel Grinder Promo (Please Do Better)
With categories like "settler" and "pioneer" and phrases like "hostile natives" it's no wonder bike racing in Oregon is disproportionately white. This wording is a reflection of the mindset of the people involved.
Does OBRA want to be a welcoming organization for everyone? If yes, then please change this asap.
In the future, OBRA needs to
1) put things in place that prevent this from happening again
2) get some deep anti-bias training in place for OBRA associates
3) do better"

I had intended to write the promoter offline. I love the event idea although the framing terms made me uneasy."

"Ummmm I’m like pretty sure the reason bike racing in Oregon in “disproportionally” white is because Oregon is 87% white people. You think bands like dandy Warhols and the Decemberists come from areas of color? And I say this In the kindest most respectful way possible."

"To say that having a "settlers" category and talking about pioneers being ok is well, not ok. These people came here and enacted violence on the folks that had been living here for centuries because they felt entitled to this land. It is celebrating white supremacy and violence."

"As a non white first time participant in the gorge gravel grinder 2019, thanks to L___ and others for speaking up!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may already be aware of this, but if not, you might want to check in with the hoopla some of the wording of the website has created on the OBRA chat page. Perhaps some innocent intended phrasing - is not going over well.

knowing many of the people involved, I certainly don't think the intent was to be exclusive (other than to those that want to suffer through what looks to be an amazing course!), but maybe this is a great opportunity to work on inclusivity for sport.

Quote | Reply
Hey Matt, thanks for chiming in here, so I take it this is your race, or you are internally associated with it? So I have some questions, perhaps this thread will be a nice reference for ST'ers once it becomes time to enter.

1. I love the idea of stage races point to point, but will this be family friendly? What I mean is, what if we have the whole crew up there, is there access each night for the family to come say hi, maybe eat dinner with us? Or are the campsites that are set up not accommodating for extra folks?

2. Did the race get special rates for any hotels? I love that RV park in sisters, would love to see some of those sites blocked off. This of course is for all the travelers that come from out of town, which I think might be a big part of the field from the looks of this thread.

3. How much of a disadvantage would a MTB be? I mean are the dirt sections mostly roads and unrutted single tracks? Or are they bike breaker sections? I love the idea of the act of thinking about what to ride and where. But since most of us will not see any of the course beforehand, we will have to rely on others who have..

4. Besides family, what about crew, is that frowned on, or will that be ok to have tag alongs for the entire race?

5. Lastly, are there going to be categories, maybe 40+/50+/60+?? Is this a chip timed event so that everyone whatever course they choose, will get recored each day?? Seems like a lot of confusion could happen with folks jumping courses day to day, at least for the competitive types.
Quote Reply
Re: The Epic gravel stage race you've been waiting for, come to Oregon [tridana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The OBRA message boards have long ago been taken over by extreme liberals.

This would be a great year to bring back the Tour de Trump and offer a woman’s race with equal prize money just to see how the OBRA liberals would still find a way to criticize it;)
Last edited by: tri_yoda: Dec 26, 18 20:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not on the message boards. I am not an OBRA member, but I know people in the group.

My simple point...people who would like to make money (most capitalists) would do well to know what other people are thinking. Crafting your messaging to be inclusive (while it may raise bile in your throat) will likely improve your bottom line. Seems like the perfect win-win.

just my .02.

Prev Next