Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Texas 70.3 Ask Me Anything
Quote | Reply
Hey everyone! Last year I did a few AMAs and decided to do one for Texas 70.3. It was a great day for me overall executing my race plan right on. For a bit more in depth analysis, look to the front page for an article. I am happy to fill in the gaps and answer any questions you might have!
Quote Reply
Re: Texas 70.3 Ask Me Anything [BenKanute] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BenKanute wrote:
Hey everyone! Last year I did a few AMAs and decided to do one for Texas 70.3. It was a great day for me overall executing my race plan right on. For a bit more in depth analysis, look to the front page for an article. I am happy to fill in the gaps and answer any questions you might have!

Thanks for doing this, and congrats again on the win. It was great to meet you Sunday afternoon.

What was your nutrition plan during bike and run?

What other 70.3s do you have planned for 2018?
Last edited by: mbwallis: Apr 12, 18 14:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
did you push that one guy down on the bike

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What was your pre-race plan of if/when Starky catches you on the bike? Go with him or let him ride away?

In race, what did you actually do when Starky caught up to you?

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Texas 70.3 Ask Me Anything [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is long term out look, back on ITU circuit to shoot for Tokyo 2020?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What does a typical swim set look like right now in full triathlon training? Lets say 20X100's or 10x200's(pace and interval). And something a lot of the folks here are gossiping about right now, do you do any pulling?? (-;

Nice job too, I used to love to race in the weather you had that day, seems to suit you too it looks like?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is your nutrition for a 70.3? Wake-Up, In-Race, and Victory Meal!

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What was your watts/kilo? (If you divulge that kind of information).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When is the Kanute-Lagerstrom 70.3 smack down going down?
Last edited by: GreatScott: Apr 12, 18 15:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What was your average power on the run and did you have a wattage range? How much higher is your power on the run than the bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How long between crossing the line and having your first beer, and what was it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How did the colder weather affect your race, if at all?
Quote Reply
Re: Texas 70.3 Ask Me Anything [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mbwallis wrote:
BenKanute wrote:

Thanks for doing this, and congrats again on the win. It was great to meet you Sunday afternoon.

What was your nutrition plan during bike and run?

What other 70.3s do you have planned for 2018?

Thanks! Great to meet you too!

I used 2 bottles of Precision Hydration on the bike and about 5 gels split between the bike and run. I have a fairly fluid nutrition plan based on the temperature and effort.

At this time the next 70.3 I am doing is the World champs in Port Elizabeth.
Quote Reply
Re: Texas 70.3 Ask Me Anything [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:
What was your pre-race plan of if/when Starky catches you on the bike? Go with him or let him ride away?

In race, what did you actually do when Starky caught up to you?

I try not to base my pre race plan off of other people too much. I am much more inwardly focused on my process goals and watt zone. However, I am a racer, so my thoughts were to just limit any damage Starky might do on the bike so I could run up to him, while at the same time keeping an eye on the gap I had on the runners behind me. The best thing to do is keep your efforts relatively steady and not overdo anything and put yourself in a hole just to keep up (depending how late you are into the race). So that is what I try to keep in mind.
Quote Reply
Re: Texas 70.3 Ask Me Anything [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
What is long term out look, back on ITU circuit to shoot for Tokyo 2020?

I am enjoying racing everything from super sprint to half ironman races. A major goal is to race in Tokyo on the relay and win a medal, but I also want to win the half ironman championships as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Texas 70.3 Ask Me Anything [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
What does a typical swim set look like right now in full triathlon training? Lets say 20X100's or 10x200's(pace and interval). And something a lot of the folks here are gossiping about right now, do you do any pulling?? (-;

Nice job too, I used to love to race in the weather you had that day, seems to suit you too it looks like?

I do a variety of swim workouts, but haven't done 20x100 or 10x200 in awhile. Pace for those all depends on rest interval. I have really worked on top end speed this year and have seen my 100 all out consistently 50-52 and 200s in 1:50 give or take. That is with a lot of rest. Threshold is probably 00 and can roll a 1:05 base.

I do a lot of pulling. I like it though and have never had shoulder issues from it.
Quote Reply
Re: Texas 70.3 Ask Me Anything [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:

I just now gave a race nutrition post, so pre race is 1 to 1.5 cups applesauce, some toast, a banana, and a bottle of sports drink. Post race is always local. In Texas it was BBQ!
Quote Reply
Re: Texas 70.3 Ask Me Anything [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:
What was your watts/kilo? (If you divulge that kind of information).

I think in a coming article we will discuss that. I am not sure it has my weight. I was 154 and np was 325ish.
Quote Reply
Re: Texas 70.3 Ask Me Anything [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
When is the Kanute-Lagerstrom 70.3 smack down going down?

I'm hoping 70.3 worlds!
Quote Reply
Re: Texas 70.3 Ask Me Anything [muohio2004] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
muohio2004 wrote:
What was your average power on the run and did you have a wattage range? How much higher is your power on the run than the bike?

This will be covered in depth in an article hopefully posted by tonight! Stay tuned! The analysis is spot on!
Quote Reply
Re: Texas 70.3 Ask Me Anything [kiwi.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiwi. wrote:
How long between crossing the line and having your first beer, and what was it?

A few hours haha. I went to the Galveston island brewery which was great! Had a bit of everything (got a flight).
Quote Reply
Re: Texas 70.3 Ask Me Anything [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dktxracer wrote:
How did the colder weather affect your race, if at all?

It was just a bit different than expected. Mainly it was running off the bike and having numb feet. I tried not to think too much about it though since it wasn't too brutal. Just a bit chilly by the finish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BenKanute wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

I just now gave a race nutrition post, so pre race is 1 to 1.5 cups applesauce, some toast, a banana, and a bottle of sports drink. Post race is always local. In Texas it was BBQ!

Color me square, but where do I find that?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What’s the post Tokyo view on 140.6 racing?

Any interesting modifications to your SC?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BenKanute wrote:
I am happy to fill in the gaps and answer any questions you might have!

What was the pass like on the bike by Starky. Did you feel like he really surged to make the pass and keep the lead? Did you attempt to go with him? Have you visited the wind tunnel and done any testing on that sleeved kit? I know you are one of the best swimmers in long-course but what did you do with the sleeved suit (ie roll it down or keep it up) for the swim. If you kept it up, did you have any restriction at all during the swim? Back to the wind tunnel, let's talk helmet selection. Is that a borrowed Wing 57? I can't imagine you would have selected to use that helmet as a well-supported Trek athlete unless you actually tested it and it was fast on you.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply

Prev Next