Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Taren addresses his haters [Schnellinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Schnellinger wrote:
I'm probably the only one here finding him funny. But all the little things he does make me smile. Like the way he was smacking his hand repeatedly in his latest video while emphasising a point and then stopping, saying "I don't know why I am doing that".

I find him funny and quite like the guy. This doesn't mean I nor anyone else can't take issue with some of the terribly inaccurate things he says, or that he deletes every single comment that isn't a nut hug.

Like I've said, if he actually listened to some of the feedback he would make a huge leap. Instead he prefers to stick his head in the sand of a pity beg echo chamber where he knows no matter what people like you will tell him he is doing great...
Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You’re right. In full honestly, I find the guy annoying. I stoped watching his videos when he started pushing that uber expensive frozen spirolina. Beginner triathletes don’t need this guy. Just grab a bike and some running shoes and have fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
Schnellinger wrote:
I'm probably the only one here finding him funny. But all the little things he does make me smile. Like the way he was smacking his hand repeatedly in his latest video while emphasising a point and then stopping, saying "I don't know why I am doing that".

I find him funny and quite like the guy. This doesn't mean I nor anyone else can't take issue with some of the terribly inaccurate things he says, or that he deletes every single comment that isn't a nut hug.

Like I've said, if he actually listened to some of the feedback he would make a huge leap. Instead he prefers to stick his head in the sand of a pity beg echo chamber where he knows no matter what people like you will tell him he is doing great...

Seems like this video is the result of him listening to feedback. .... Shrug...

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
dunno wrote:
Schnellinger wrote:

Seems like this video is the result of him listening to feedback. .... Shrug...

Which part of the video was him listening to the feedback? For the millionth time for those who seem to have a little trouble grasping what the issue is-people have a problem with him spruicking false information and products in a shonky way-saying carbon in soles give you another 80 wats or that the Ventum is 18 mins faster. He can get away with this rubbish with newbs who don't know any better, but not the more experienced athletes who are the ones calling out the issue.

They DONT have a problem with him having ads or trying to make a living.
Last edited by: dunno: May 12, 19 15:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A). He’s under no obligation to take action on every piece of advice.

B) the video was only a couple of days ago. Let’s wait and see what future content actually looks like.

C) one of the criticisms that he is addressing is that there are a bunch of things that he is in over his head on, this video is his attempt to communicate where his target audience is, and bring the content back into his wheelhouse.

I have no idea why people keep bringing up ads and promotional content on these threads. No one is arguing that point.

The constant criticism of taren has gone well beyond the point of criticizing his content and into the territory of criticizing him because he’s taren.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When people say that don't have a problem with something repeatedly. . .
Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're on the wrong social networks, man! :)

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
I just have one question from the video and it has nothing to do with Taren.....At that pool, the lane closest to the wall is either too wide or whatever, but what is there another lane rope that's like 1 foot from the wall?

Did someone just not measure properly when building a pool and that one lane was too wide, so they had to put in another lane divider and create an 1' lane?

I've seen it on occassion, rarely but it seems to be a thing, somehow. Or maybe it serves a purpose? Is it a divider so that all the lanes get the same splash/absorbant and the wall lanes don't get extra water movement?

That’s how legit competition pools are setup. Though that extra lane line 1 ft from the wall is usually only setup for competitions. It just adds 1 more lane line for the pool lifeguards/management to put in/take out.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, do I shave my beard or get carbon insoles?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
So, do I shave my beard or get carbon insoles?

#wearaspeedoallthetime

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
I understand by its very nature this post is counter productive, but if we all just ignored his garbage he would go away. I understand the need of many to point out his schilling and lies, but it just would rather see him fade away in to oblivion.

Do you mean Bolivian?
Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [Animalmom2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Animalmom2 wrote:
turdburgler wrote:
I understand by its very nature this post is counter productive, but if we all just ignored his garbage he would go away. I understand the need of many to point out his schilling and lies, but it just would rather see him fade away in to oblivion.

Do you mean Bolivian?

Taren doesn’t drink coffee, just that mushroom crap. ;-)

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [ask77nl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ask77nl wrote:
I disagree with concept of 'Taren haters'. There is nothing awful about the guy personally and I seriously doubt anybody hates him personally. There is something wrong with what he's doing conceptually and this concept is a valid reason for negative emotions. Some people might mix those things up.

What's wrong with him is Marketing. American Marketing, however it's pretty much the same across the world, it's just US is the most successful it it. The goal is to make money, but deliver the best product to improve people's life is not the only acceptable way to do it. Other ways, like lie, bite-and-switch, hiding truth, etc. are perfectly acceptable as long as you don't get sued. As long as 'guy has to make a living', it's all fine.

Well, I say it's not. It's not fine to make living by lying. Put me in the list of 'Taren haters, who's gonna hate' if it's what it takes, but I just hate Marketing.

Oh so wrong. It’s most effective in Asia. Specifically China. I was in a restaurant where Black Angus pork chops were being devoured in Shanghai last week, if you doubt me
Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:
I just have one question from the video and it has nothing to do with Taren.....At that pool, the lane closest to the wall is either too wide or whatever, but what is there another lane rope that's like 1 foot from the wall?

Did someone just not measure properly when building a pool and that one lane was too wide, so they had to put in another lane divider and create an 1' lane?

I've seen it on occassion, rarely but it seems to be a thing, somehow. Or maybe it serves a purpose? Is it a divider so that all the lanes get the same splash/absorbant and the wall lanes don't get extra water movement?

If you've ever had to circle swim in an outside line when everyone's doing breaststroke, and you come across a pool like this, you want to kiss the person or persons who agreed to the extra expense of making the pool ~3' wider so the outside lanes weren't right up against the wall.

Or back. Or fly, especially if the deck hardware (like ladder grab bars) are installed.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
gary p wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:

If you've ever had to circle swim in an outside line when everyone's doing breaststroke, and you come across a pool like this, you want to kiss the person or persons who agreed to the extra expense of making the pool ~3' wider so the outside lanes weren't right up against the wall.

Or back. Or fly, especially if the deck hardware (like ladder grab bars) are installed.

Any pool designer that builds the rails of the ladder into the pool lane should be jailed....
Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [fitzkickjr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fitzkickjr wrote:
Beginner triathletes don’t need this guy. Just grab a bike and some running shoes and have fun.

That's what I thought, but then I found slowtwitch and found out I need to spend $250 for more aerodynamic brake levers that will save me 0.017 watts and I need to pay someone $300 to tell me how high my seatpost should be.
Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [HardlyTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HardlyTrying wrote:
fitzkickjr wrote:
Beginner triathletes don’t need this guy. Just grab a bike and some running shoes and have fun.

That's what I thought, but then I found slowtwitch and found out I need to spend $250 for more aerodynamic brake levers that will save me 0.017 watts and I need to pay someone $300 to tell me how high my seatpost should be.

You’re seat’s too high

Invoice is in the mail

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HardlyTrying wrote:
fitzkickjr wrote:

No, no, you need to pay $300 to for someone to tell you how high your seatpost should be, then post a video on here for everyone to tear it apart so that you'll spend another $400 plus travel and hotel costs on a better fitter, only to be told that is crap too. So now you need to spend $2000 on a trip to a wind tunnel....

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
gary p wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:

Any pool designer that builds the rails of the ladder into the pool lane should be jailed....

Wish the one who did my old one had been. Put rectangular cutouts in the walls for ladders, with a big freeboard for good measure. Ladders which were removed when the club were swimming so you could smash a nice hard corner of wall when doing fly. Three people including myself broke hands on one of them...

Says a lot that the pool was still the best local one, ahead of the pool whose walls and floors were indistinguishable from one another and the pool that sank.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HardlyTrying wrote:
fitzkickjr wrote:

Out of interest who do you feel makes you spend more tarren or slowtwitch? What helps you more? Y
Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [907Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think he's all that bad - you don't need to be a dedicated triathlete to see through the rubbish.

I find it way better than the multitude of "pro athlete running/swimming/biking slow-mo to dance music" videos we are plagued with - they offer nothing at all. Unless you like drone shots.

He at least produces content, like it or not.

He should, however, learn that criticism is good - it helps give him points to improve. In many ways it's the "haters" that are offering to help him improve.

He takes it badly, though, which is a shame., in a similar way to other tri video makers posting on this site.
Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never felt the urge to buy anything after watching a Taren video.

I have bought stuff after reading the ST forums. (latex tubes, trainerroad, aero helmet. although the only one that is directly attributable to ST is trainerroad) Incidentally, I just cancelled my subscription to TR, and looking back, I was never able to actually follow the plans all that well and my FTP didn't increase. So I've spent more based on ST for zero ROI...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [bluefever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I first started tri back in 2010, Ben Greenfield (this was his pre magnetic bracelet phase) was big and I would say was very similar to Taren as far as giving "information" (one could argue more like opinions) to beginner triathletes like myself at the time. Being a complete naive noob, I soaked up everything that he said products, fad diets, and all. I feel like trying all his snake oils and "training methods" set me back a few years in my training until I finally wised up and began to think for myself realize keto/low carb/fasting was not for me, my training, or my racing.

All of this is on me of course because I didn't do my own research, question, or critically analyze. While I understand the need for some triathlon outlets to cater to beginners to get them in the sport, it can easily send them down the wrong track.
Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [karmatraining] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
karmatraining wrote:
When I first started tri back in 2010, Ben Greenfield (this was his pre magnetic bracelet phase)

Also followed him for a bit, but he's all-in on every pseudoscience fad and is pushing anti-vaxx now.
Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [907Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not a fan of him but I think lately he has been learning about triathlon by connecting with pros and the right people. Except for the last few months most of his advice and comments in his show were a total joke. Now here are my comments:
-It is OK to get some critics. Do not take it personal and take only the critics that can help you learn and keep growing
-I do not think he is qualified to coach. Anybody can help somebody train for their first few triathlons. You do not need a rocket scientist. It is simple SBR repeat. Then to actually improve you will need a more specific plan.
-Coaching should never be free. People have jobs and they get paid for it. Independent from whether they are good or bad at their job. If people want to paid him for bad advice great. I agree with him his time worth something and there are a lot of costs for having training peaks , talking to athletes on the phone, etc.
-He should advertise all he wants. It is his channel and he needs to make something. Some of the things he advertise are not the best but it is a free world. Also, in the last few months he has been sharing the real secrets of high performance.
-For the the people who actually think he is a god here is a word for you. Do not be CHEAP. Support him and perhaps pay him a little monthly fee for his work. The work you guys value because it makes your training so much better. Skip a latte & donut here and there and maybe pay $10 monthly fee for watching his channel and listening to his podcast.

Again, I am not a fan but he is has the right to do whatever he likes. No need to cry and justify on youtube why he is trying to make money out of our sport.
Quote Reply

Prev Next