Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Taren addresses his haters [fitzkickjr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just have one question from the video and it has nothing to do with Taren.....At that pool, the lane closest to the wall is either too wide or whatever, but what is there another lane rope that's like 1 foot from the wall?

Did someone just not measure properly when building a pool and that one lane was too wide, so they had to put in another lane divider and create an 1' lane?

I've seen it on occassion, rarely but it seems to be a thing, somehow. Or maybe it serves a purpose? Is it a divider so that all the lanes get the same splash/absorbant and the wall lanes don't get extra water movement?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s a pretty standard way to build a competition pool, the lane line is there to absorb waves that would otherwise bounce back off the wall.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: May 12, 19 7:30
Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That makes sense. Thx

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
Mehhhhh just his quarterly pitty beg video he always does. Instead of deleting all of the negative comments and playing victim if he actually listened to them he would make a huge leap forward.

People complaining for example that you're spruicking mega expensive carbon soles and claiming they give you 80 extra watts is BS isnt them being trolls or negative, it's reality and he should stop doing it.

To me he lost any credibility he had when I saw his video about ventum bike where he was spewing the ventum is ‘18 min faster’ over an Ironman than any other bike bull shit. Like, come on, taren. You don’t expect to get some ‘hate’ for spewing crap like that?!
Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [Afg53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Afg53 wrote:
dunno wrote:
Mehhhhh just his quarterly pitty beg video he always does. Instead of deleting all of the negative comments and playing victim if he actually listened to them he would make a huge leap forward.

People complaining for example that you're spruicking mega expensive carbon soles and claiming they give you 80 extra watts is BS isnt them being trolls or negative, it's reality and he should stop doing it.

To me he lost any credibility he had when I saw his video about ventum bike where he was spewing the ventum is ‘18 min faster’ over an Ironman than any other bike bull shit. Like, come on, taren. You don’t expect to get some ‘hate’ for spewing crap like that?!

I don't hate the guy, but I also dislike that sort of marketing. I think he has Joe Rogan disease. He knows a little, but then he talks to a lot of different people with differing opinions/slants on things (including marketing material) but doesn't know how to place all of that info into the proper context or how to objectively evaluate claims. That isn't something unique to him or triathlon, but triathlon does have a lot of these folks. I don't think their intent is bad, but they don't know what they don't know. I've often pointed out that it's the Dunning Kruger effect. That's not an attack on people who perpetrate it. It's an observation. Taren's response to honest critics is why he gets some of the reactions he does.
Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
turdburgler wrote:
I understand by its very nature this post is counter productive, but if we all just ignored his garbage he would go away. I understand the need of many to point out his schilling and lies, but it just would rather see him fade away in to oblivion.

If everyone on ST ignored him, his viewership numbers would be just fine.

This is true, as I watched him for a year before I knew there was a Slowtwitch.

Maybe ST should run YouTube ads on his channel...
Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
JerseyBigfoot wrote:
RowToTri wrote:
Schnellinger wrote:

Your analogy with the earth being flat isn't really accurate in this situation. To prove that the earth is flat is rather simple, hence it is not debatable. It is a fact.

Is this a misstatement or is this what you meant?

Are you saying what I think you’re saying?

Not saying anything. Just asking for clarification.

Stop debating the not debatable.
Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
Briefs look better than jammers, if you are fit with very low body fat. Otherwise jammers look better, because they’re less revealing. IMO it is taboo for a guy to wear a shirt with briefs on the pool deck. It’s just not a good look

Just to keep up the side conversation.. it doesn't matter how fit you are, if you have pale thighs briefs will always look stupid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
That makes sense. Thx

Just to add to that, at a lot of pools they’ll leave those lane lines out during regular training and lane swim times, only putting them in for competition. That’s one reason you may not have noticed them before.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spartan420 wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
turdburgler wrote:
I understand by its very nature this post is counter productive, but if we all just ignored his garbage he would go away. I understand the need of many to point out his schilling and lies, but it just would rather see him fade away in to oblivion.

If everyone on ST ignored him, his viewership numbers would be just fine.

This is true, as I watched him for a year before I knew there was a Slowtwitch.

Maybe ST should run YouTube ads on his channel...

That would ruin him. His show could not support honest facts.

Maybe he should interview kellyanne Conway and they couldn't discuss alternative facts.
Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [Bioteknik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bioteknik wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:
Briefs look better than jammers, if you are fit with very low body fat. Otherwise jammers look better, because they’re less revealing. IMO it is taboo for a guy to wear a shirt with briefs on the pool deck. It’s just not a good look

Just to keep up the side conversation.. it doesn't matter how fit you are, if you have pale thighs briefs will always look stupid.

And jammers are STILL worse than that....

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [Schnellinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Schnellinger wrote:
Tempting, but I am not going to bite (again)

The double entendre in strong with this one. Rrroowrrr

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [ask77nl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ask77nl wrote:
What's wrong with him is Marketing. American Marketing, however it's pretty much the same across the world, it's just US is the most successful it it. The goal is to make money, but deliver the best product to improve people's life is not the only acceptable way to do it. Other ways, like lie, bite-and-switch, hiding truth, etc. are perfectly acceptable as long as you don't get sued. As long as 'guy has to make a living', it's all fine.

Well, I say it's not. It's not fine to make living by lying. Put me in the list of 'Taren haters, who's gonna hate' if it's what it takes, but I just hate Marketing.

Agree with the American marketing reference. Hell keep it in the world of triathlon and look at how many bike companies claim they have the "fastest bike in the world" and then skew the wind tunnel data, keep other bikes out, etc to make that claim.

People cannot say Taren is a liar or that he isn't honest and then say most triathlon advertising is. It's pure BS.

I think after he declared his true audience the part he could improve upon is making the information a bit more simply and not as overwhelming as it is. If I were a beginner those videos would be a lot of digest.

Then again he produces content. every. single. day. So that might be part of the issue.

He's good for the sport and no worse than other companies and what they do.
Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [907Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There’s a big difference between a corporation marketing their product and an individual presenting himself as an unbiased reviewer.
Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course this is what I meant. Pull out your binoculars and look have far you are able to see. Clearly this shows that the earth is flat. It has nothing to do with the local flatness property of a sphere...

No, it was a misstatement. I wanted to write "To prove that the earth is NOT flat is rather simple"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My complaint with his specific content, and this came only from 1 podcast. I'm all for having sponsors. Go ahead and add those 2 min informercials so you can get paid. But dont then tell me in a "trial" that you do and put up that said product is the best. Hell don't even give me a trial comparison cus I'm not even going to be bothered by looking at your results of the "test". I'm going to call biased bullshit.

I don't know if that's how every sponsored product is on his podcasts. And I'm totally fine with "hustling" and getting sponsors. I'm totally fine with you telling me in a 2 min informercial that Gu is better than Heed or that Ventum is better than Cervelo, blah blah blah. Every pro and AG "sponsored" athlete does that on IG every single day....# this # that. That's the sponsor game that everyone has to play, I'm fine with that "bullshit".

So I guess I lose more respect when you then take that sponsor bullshit and do a "trial" to try and prove said product is truly better. Everyone talks up the sponsor ads, but just dont then try and "prove" that it's correct. You want to try and prove it, go enlist 10 of your followers or 10 random people and get back to me with the results. But dont tell me you got a new sponsor and then spend a podcast showcasing that sponsor's results in a "trial".

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
I just have one question from the video and it has nothing to do with Taren.....At that pool, the lane closest to the wall is either too wide or whatever, but what is there another lane rope that's like 1 foot from the wall?

Did someone just not measure properly when building a pool and that one lane was too wide, so they had to put in another lane divider and create an 1' lane?

I've seen it on occassion, rarely but it seems to be a thing, somehow. Or maybe it serves a purpose? Is it a divider so that all the lanes get the same splash/absorbant and the wall lanes don't get extra water movement?

If you've ever had to circle swim in an outside line when everyone's doing breaststroke, and you come across a pool like this, you want to kiss the person or persons who agreed to the extra expense of making the pool ~3' wider so the outside lanes weren't right up against the wall.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a beginning triathlete, more like a pre-beginning aspiring triathlete and his videos popped up when googling around. I've tried watching, but I just can't take him for some undefinable reason. It's like fingernails on the blackboard. Maybe I should give it another try.
Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you've ever had to circle swim in an outside line when everyone's doing breaststroke,

-----

what the hell stroke is that? #freestyleonly #triathlete

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [HardlyTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You and me both.

The outrageous mugging to the camera, all of it.
Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [HardlyTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HardlyTrying wrote:
I'm a beginning triathlete, more like a pre-beginning aspiring triathlete and his videos popped up when googling around. I've tried watching, but I just can't take him for some undefinable reason. It's like fingernails on the blackboard. Maybe I should give it another try.

Same for me. I think it's a combination of the corny dad jokes, little annoying sayings, cringeworthy thumbnails etc etc etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’d never even heard of Taren until the recent spate of threads.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [bretzky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm probably the only one here finding him funny. But all the little things he does make me smile. Like the way he was smacking his hand repeatedly in his latest video while emphasising a point and then stopping, saying "I don't know why I am doing that".
Quote Reply
Re: Taren addresses his haters [Schnellinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He also addresses the haters by deleting any negative commeny about him on social media and youtube. Sounds similar to restaurants paying off yelp to do the same giving them 5 star ratings. Personally I look at negative comments to guage expectations / second opinions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have never seen nor heard anything of Taren.
Quote Reply

Prev Next