Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tacx Neo - Ask me anything [BergHügi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BergHügi wrote:
Maybe I am just lucky, but my Kickr (got one of the first in Europe I guess) after a warm-up of 20 minutes is also quite consistent with our SRMs. I have no significant drift after 20 min war-up. In principle I like the Kickr, but we cannot use it in our flat, only in my office at the university.

That must be the key. It seems like most that report good comparison between the Kickr and power meter were some of the first released units. Something must have happened a bit later in production. Whatever they were doing at first they should try to figure out and go back to that in production. I bought mine in August 2014 and noticed something was amiss after my CTL started rising rather fast in just a couple of weeks and L5 intervals felt more like L3 (because they were). :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Neo - Ask me anything [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Felt_Rider wrote:
Thanks for sharing

IMO - If my Kickr had been as close in relation with my power meter as your SRM and Neo I probably would have been content with using the Kickr's power. My Kickr is not quite as bad as Donzo's, but still over 15 watts off and sometimes worse. Plus there is a bit of a drift. Now that I have the Kickr being controlled by a Quarq ELSA I am pretty content.

I could probably mentally deal with about > 5 watts difference. Even now with the Quarq in control there is about that much still because the Kickr has a hard time adjusting resistance based on the continual variability of the Quarq. If I were like a machine with my pace that wouldn't happen :-)

Are your longer intervals off by 5 watts average power??

My TARGET POWER and SRM POWER are generally the same with my intervals 1 minute and over.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Neo - Ask me anything [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Donzo98 wrote:

My TARGET POWER and SRM POWER are generally the same with my intervals 1 minute and over.

My last post wasn't clear and you have a good question.
My average power for intervals are typically within a watt or match exactly from the interval target in TR or PerfPro.

What I really intended was the following comparison. I thought I had a screenshot available and it would tell the story.
Using WKO 3.0 Multi File Range Analysis comparing workout sessions using Quarq / Kickr / PP or TR
Quarq recorded with Garmin Edge - the wattage line is very variable bouncing from 5+/- watts above or below the target.
Quarq recorded with TR or PP - the wattage line is somewhat smoothed. This line is just about down the middle of the Quarq / Edge recording.

However both end up showing almost the exact same interval AP and total workout AP.

The only time my legs can tell the difference is when the Kickr is trying to adjust quickly to an intensity change. It is at random times it may spike 20 to 30 watts higher than the target for a second or two before it settles into the interval target (those are discomforting). My remedy for those spikes has been to go back and add in a bit of a ramp between interval intensity changes in the workout. If the Kickr has a little more time to adjust with a ramp I've noticed a sharp reduction in those spikes. Otherwise, having the Kickr controlled by the power meter has worked out well.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Neo - Ask me anything [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Felt_Rider wrote:
Donzo98 wrote:

My last post wasn't clear and you have a good question.
My average power for intervals are typically within a watt or match exactly from the interval target in TR or PerfPro.

What I really intended was the following comparison. I thought I had a screenshot available and it would tell the story.
Using WKO 3.0 Multi File Range Analysis comparing workout sessions using Quarq / Kickr / PP or TR
Quarq recorded with Garmin Edge - the wattage line is very variable bouncing from 5+/- watts above or below the target.
Quarq recorded with TR or PP - the wattage line is somewhat smoothed. This line is just about down the middle of the Quarq / Edge recording.

However both end up showing almost the exact same interval AP and total workout AP.

The only time my legs can tell the difference is when the Kickr is trying to adjust quickly to an intensity change. It is at random times it may spike 20 to 30 watts higher than the target for a second or two before it settles into the interval target (those are discomforting). My remedy for those spikes has been to go back and add in a bit of a ramp between interval intensity changes in the workout. If the Kickr has a little more time to adjust with a ramp I've noticed a sharp reduction in those spikes. Otherwise, having the Kickr controlled by the power meter has worked out well.

That is exactly my experience as well... but I didn't bother to build in a ramp. As long as my AVG POWER is what it should be I don't stress about it any more.

I accept the fact that the shorter intervals won't be exactly right.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Neo - Ask me anything [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nightfend wrote:
My Powertap wheel always reads 5 to 10 watts higher than my Quarq. So I think you are asking too much from the Neo. Besides, the last powermeter I would base accuracy off of would be a Stages powermeter.

+1 to all that. Stages...lol...
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Neo - Ask me anything [BergHügi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BergHügi wrote:
By the way, I got the SRM trainer for 2000$ with a wireless SRM from ebay. Use the wireless SRM now on my road bike and bought a wired SRM for the trainer from ebay for 400$. And the "proprietary" trainer was cheap not accounting for the hours to design and construct it.

That is the deal of the century on the SRM. I've never even seen one or known anyone IRL who owns one. Anyways, thanks for updating the info!
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Neo - Ask me anything [julesg88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@julesg88, can you share the dimensions of the Neo when folded out? Also, if not too much trouble, the length to the front of your front tire (and your bike size)? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Neo - Ask me anything [Sam Apoc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sam Apoc wrote:
BergHügi wrote:
By the way, I got the SRM trainer for 2000$ with a wireless SRM from ebay. Use the wireless SRM now on my road bike and bought a wired SRM for the trainer from ebay for 400$. And the "proprietary" trainer was cheap not accounting for the hours to design and construct it.

That is the deal of the century on the SRM. I've never even seen one or known anyone IRL who owns one. Anyways, thanks for updating the info!

Yup... agree. That trainer has to be quite expensive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like the trainer itself goes for 3,500 EUR, then you have to add your own SRM to the mix. So probably about 6,000 EUR for the complete system.

Would love to give one a ride to see what that kind of cash really gets you versus the more mass produced options. Same goes for a Velotron.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Neo - Ask me anything [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tgarson wrote:
Looks like the trainer itself goes for 3,500 EUR, then you have to add your own SRM to the mix. So probably about 6,000 EUR for the complete system.

Would love to give one a ride to see what that kind of cash really gets you versus the more mass produced options. Same goes for a Velotron.

I would like to try a Velotron too... I would be more enthusiastic if it was ANT/ BT compatible... and I could use Perf Pro control it.
Last edited by: Donzo98: Oct 22, 15 20:41
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Neo - Ask me anything [bmcguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bmcguy wrote:
@julesg88, can you share the dimensions of the Neo when folded out? Also, if not too much trouble, the length to the front of your front tire (and your bike size)? Thanks.

Also, your social security number and inseam length.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sam Apoc wrote:
bmcguy wrote:

... and a naked pic of your wife/girlfriend :)
Last edited by: Donzo98: Oct 23, 15 13:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Donzo98 wrote:
Sam Apoc wrote:
bmcguy wrote:

... and a naked pic of your wife/girlfriend :)

Well he did say "anything".. :D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anybody put a 51cm Cervelo p5 in one of these yet? The printed out template on tacxs site make it look like it isn't going to fit or would clear the stays by less than a mm which I'm not going to live with
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any further updates on accuracy??

What software are you using to control it??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
from my limited (aka n=5) usage neo vs quarq i see around 5% difference consistently

please note that i use q-rings; which wd affect quarq reading but not tacx
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Neo - Ask me anything [R2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When and where did you get your NEO?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
got my unit (no 618) two weeks ago - got it from a german online store
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
whereas erg mode is oki must say that the slope/ course mode is much more difficult than reality on the road
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
R2 wrote:
from my limited (aka n=5) usage neo vs quarq i see around 5% difference consistently

please note that i use q-rings; which wd affect quarq reading but not tacx

I'm guessing the Quarq is 5% higher than the neo?

That could very well be 100% accurate as the Quarq is measuring at the chainrings and the Neo at the hub. I would expect at least a 3% difference and up to 5% is reasonable for drivetrain loss.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Received an email from Clever Training stating my Neo Smart has shipped. Should have it Thursday.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Neo - Ask me anything [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
Received an email from Clever Training stating my Neo Smart has shipped. Should have it Thursday.

Very much looking forward to hearing your review...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Donzo98 wrote:
GMAN19030 wrote:

Very much looking forward to hearing your review...

I actually got it today. Went to set it up and found out I needed a Campy lockring tool to put on the f'n Shimano cassette because the Neo uses an Edco Campy hub. Damn Europeans!!! So make sure you got that tool. $10 for the Park Tool BBT-5/FR-11 tool. Thankfully my LBS had one (and just one) in stock.

EDIT: I see the Campy tool thing was mentioned in an early post on this thread. Obviously, I missed it. :-)
Last edited by: GMAN19030: Nov 11, 15 13:04
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Neo - Ask me anything [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i think tacx will sorely regret going with edco - already freehub problems being reported and we are only in what 3rd month of usage at the most!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
R2 wrote:
i think tacx will sorely regret going with edco - already freehub problems being reported and we are only in what 3rd month of usage at the most!

What problems?
Quote Reply

Prev Next