Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Starting again
Quote | Reply
My last triathlon was a half ironman in November 2016. I did that in about 5:30, I had done 6-7 annually prior to that.

Since then I have swam, ran, rode and lifted weights sporadically. No structure at all.

I am not 41 and well overweight and I need a physical goal, the idea of losing weight to lose weight doesn't work. My goal would be a 70.3 in about a years time but I am not sure on the best way to get restarted.

Any thoughts on a couch to 70.3 in 1 year training plan? Blocks of sports specific work? slowly build all sports together? Build endurance first, then layer speed on top?

Logically I know I am no where near as fit as I was, but I struggle mentally too as all of my paces seem so slow....but that is my battle to deal with.
Quote Reply
Re: Starting again [Toolish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toolish wrote:
My last triathlon was a half ironman in November 2016. I did that in about 5:30, I had done 6-7 annually prior to that.

Since then I have swam, ran, rode and lifted weights sporadically. No structure at all.

I am not 41 and well overweight and I need a physical goal, the idea of losing weight to lose weight doesn't work. My goal would be a 70.3 in about a years time but I am not sure on the best way to get restarted.

Any thoughts on a couch to 70.3 in 1 year training plan? Blocks of sports specific work? slowly build all sports together? Build endurance first, then layer speed on top?

Logically I know I am no where near as fit as I was, but I struggle mentally too as all of my paces seem so slow....but that is my battle to deal with.

I would offer the simple advice:

Just start. just start with a little. Mix in SBR in a reasonable amount for both. You first need to train to train. Get frequent training back in your life. Sort out how you can fit in training every day 5, 6, even 7 days a week. Doesn't have to be a ton.

Don't worry about pace. Don't worry about distance.

But absolutely, if it helps you, fix a goal in the future.

At end of 2018, I hadn't trained for almost 3 years. I weighed 205. I just started, little by little. And just stayed at it.

I currently weigh 169. And racing Kona next week.

You can get to where you want to go, if you commit to it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First goal should be longevity; living/staying alive.
After that nothing wrong with picking a local short race to start--weight will come off as you begin a routine.
Look into a team or group with varied levels.

As someone who has seen heavier folks who have had knee & hip issues over the years through coaching--I would suggest starting with the non-pounding stuff first...swim, bike, (XC ski if you can in the winter) and use an aqua jog or two and walking or speed walking. Graduate to a jog then proceed from there. Add in a little short jog if it doesn't hurt you on walks. I was able to get them going and into running from an "unable to even walk far" state. Weight should come off somewhat before jogging--to preserve joint health--have some good shoes and run in them only long enough to the recommended mileage.

When the weight feels like it's off enough to start some shorter "run only" runs...then go for it. Get a physical too & make adjustments to lifestyle accordingly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Start with whatever gets you excited. If it's getting on your bike and going for a ride, then do that. If it's lacing up the shoes and going for a run around the block, then do that. Anything that you can find that gives you that spark to get out the door is what I would focus on. Get some consistency going with that and then start venturing into the other disciplines as you are able to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are not in a area where you can ride year round get a trainer if you don't already have one. The trainer experience has changed considerably since 2016. Its much easier to ride through the winter in your basement these days using programs like Zwift, Rouvy, etc. You just might find one of these programs is enough of a carrot to get you on the bike a few times a week through the winter. I know I don't dread trainer sessions any longer, I generally watch sports on TV while riding Zwift, mentally it hardly feels like a workout except for the hard efforts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
80/20 beginner half iron book plan. You should be able to do it if youā€™re still training some of each.

Iā€™ve used a lot of plans and the 80/20 are the best Iā€™ve used. The advanced plans took me to all new heights without injury. Good builds, good recovery weeks built in. Set all my prs on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
20minutes! It is all about 20minutes...Just get out of the door for 20minutes at a time.As the enjoyment for training slowly returns you will stay out for longer and longer without thinking about it.Start a "training program" in about 6 months,until then just enjoy being out there again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First of, let me thank you for NOT saying "loosing weight to loose weight" - some people aren't smart enough to know when auto-correct is actually wrong

Secondly, as others have said, re-start with what is fun and familiar to you; whether it's running, biking, or swimming [even lifting, if that's gonna light a spark]

Thirdly, do not expect to achieve "former glory" - I'm not saying you can't, but don't compare yourself now to your Athlinks of 6 years ago

I have a story: in 1999 I quit running and racing. That gap lasted for 7 years. I call that time "The Big Quit." When I returned to running - through the help of a forgiving coach - I called each successful result/improvement "v2.0 PR" That mindset might get you past "I'm so slow now"

YMMV

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll add that at 41, unfortunately you probably need to look at diet as well. In my 30's, I could eat whatever I wanted. After 40, nope. The pounds come on easier and come off harder.

Look at a food tracking app (i use Myfitnesspal) to at least go through blocks of time to check that your diet is on track. Its a pain in the ass to log everything all the time, but I've done a couple of 14 day periods to see what my calorie balance is like.
I picked up an inexpensive smart scale as well which syncs to myfitnesspal and other apps.

otherwise, echoing what others have said, just start, don't overdo it, and gradually build. Don't look at pace, just pick a course or duration for the day and run that, or ride that.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Starting again [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ETA: If running is your thing, don't be afraid to go with a C25K program; you can start with Week 4, or wherever you think your fitness is, but DO NOT say "I should be better than running 4 minutes and walking 2 by now" - just stick to the plan, and it will work out

I'm doing that with a girl on my street who's been away from running "a couple-kids ago, now"

And yes, we had the "Can you coach me?"/"Dear God, why would you want me to do that?" conversation LOL

Quote Reply
Re: Starting again [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
20minutes! It is all about 20 minutes...Just get out of the door for 20 minutes at a time. As the enjoyment for training slowly returns you will stay out for longer and longer without thinking about it. Start a "training program" in about 6 months, until then just enjoy being out there again.

Also, if you can find yourself an "Accountabili-Buddy" that helps tremendously

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You've gotten a lot of great advice.

I'll add a few things I've seen over my 25+ yr of coaching.

Don't try to change everything at once. More often than not when people go to make drastic changes, lifestyle, diet, adding exercise etc all on day 1 they fall off the wagon. Make a change, make it consistently happen. That means the majority of time, not every day. Be cognizant of when it does not happen and do not beat yourself up about it.

Walking. people underestimate how good walking is for you (and your dog if you have one). You can start with 5 minutes, 10 minutes doesn't matter. You can add that in to whatever else you've done for the day. The recovery cost of a 10-15 min walk is nil. You can walk for an hour to hours. It's highly underrated imo as an adjunct to life. All life.

Be consistent. Day after day after day after day after week after week after week after month after month after month after year after year. Do something, every day. Walk, S,B,R, lift. I'll give my athletes a push up target for the week. Say it's 75. Bang out 5 when using the micro, bang out 10 while waiting for the shower to warm up. Can be any number. The goal is to help make being active a part of your daily life. I do anywhere from 3 to 40 pull ups per day. Everytime I walk past the pull up bar that I've set up I bang some out. There is no rhyme or reason or sets or reps. I just do it.

It's often easier to build fitness in one sport or two sports than 3 sports. Layer it on. maybe you bike 4-5x/wk and SR 1-2x/wk. Doesn't matter.

Just be active, be consistent, put one foot in front of the other, make small changes and make them an almost daily habit before the next change and don't beat yourself up.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Starting again [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some solid advice, including Desert Dude's.

My 2 cents instead of reiterating what others have said:

I'm with you on this. I've restarted. Twice.

For results, you need consistency. For consistency you need to be able to get out there and do it. When you're getting started, focus on the fun. Don't jump back into serious, heavy training or you'll get hurt. Ease back into it and do that by doing the stuff you enjoy; whatever it is. If you really like mountain biking, then do that. If you like to run, go for it (I preferred to run on trails when I was heaver as I felt like it was less punishing on my joints). Do what you enjoy and you're more likely to stick to it. Don't start too hard. You got this!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am likewise a 40-something who only recently began "training to train" because I'd like to get back up to a 70.3. For me, something that's helped tremendously is doing a couple sprints -- low stakes, very local, laid-back races that are somewhere in the .3/10/3 mile range.

It's been great for two reasons: 1) having something on the calendar keeps me consistent; I am much less likely to space out on going to Masters when I know I have a race in two weeks, for example -- and 2) getting back into the swing of racing -- remembering all little transition tricks, dialing in on paces, testing equipment -- has palpably lowered the sense of being overwhelmed with getting back into triathlon at all. I actually now have an Oly on my calendar and am eying a 70.3 this spring, mostly because just doing the sprints has given me the confidence to step up my training while still keeping the progress slow enough to not get injured.

I also got 3rd in my AG* this past weekend!

Anyway, as everyone has said: start small, be consistently consistent, and -- most of all -- make sure you're having fun, otherwise what's the point? :)

*there were only three of us in my AG

[what Yoda said about trying]
Last edited by: Bastet: Sep 28, 22 7:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just start with frequency. Make exercise a daily habit. Sign up for that race in the distance and tell your spouse/friends that is your goal. Just get into a routine of SBR for the first couple months. Easy exercise and frequent exercise. I'd start with a walk/run program rather than straight into running just to ease the body back into it, especially if you haven't been doing bone loading activities in the past few years. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hard to add anything new to what's been said, but it bears repeating. Dr. Stephen Seiler put out an article a month ago that keyed in on this recipe:

1. Consistency
2. Duration
3. Intensity

In that order, Don't skip one, or move on to the next until you've gotten what you can from the previous one.

As others have said, get out there and be consistent. Just easy, but consistent. That daily (or maybe every other day to start) bout of exercise will help ramp up your metabolism to help create a calorie deficit. As a bigger guy myself (working on it also) I'd probably stay away from running at the beginning. I don't think it's possible for someone with a high amount of body fat to "run easy" and stay at a low enough intensity. So i'd build that initial fitness with non-weight bearing stuff. Then as the pounds come off, and the fitness goes up, start introducing running, but not think of it as an additional training stress, but rather as a strength component. Whenever I've had to come back from an injury, or time off, or whatever with running, I have to tell myself that I can't look at a 15 minute run as a fitness building part of my plan, but rather, I'm strengthening my tendons and ligaments, working on mobility and form, etc. Because otherwise I say "how can I get improvement from 15 minutes" and that leads me to ramping up too quickly.

Take it slow, take it easy, but get started.

USAT Level 1 Coach
Team Next Level
http://goteamnltri.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my 50's now and have come to terms with the fact that I will never be as fast as I was (not that I was fast in the first place:) As most have said, try and just be consistent. Additionally, I often put away the watch and headphones. I live in a beautiful place with lots of options and i try and appreciate the fact that I am still getting out and doing something I enjoy and just go on feel.

If its fun and enjoyable it makes it easier to get your ass out the door!
Quote Reply
Re: Starting again [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
I have a story: in 1999 I quit running and racing. That gap lasted for 7 years. I call that time "The Big Quit."

It occurred to me just now that when I joined ST in 2004, I was 5 years into "The Big Quit," with no real thoughts of coming back

But, through this community, I got back into it [although I met my coach on another online forum, to be honest], and not long after I was pinning on a bib again

That's all; just thought I'd share
Randy

Quote Reply
Re: Starting again [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is a nice progression. Can't see Kona in my future but it would be nice!

All the best out there!
Quote Reply
Re: Starting again [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the do it all at once mentality has been a big part of my problem.

Need to focus on diet and the bike I think. Running at 100+kg (220 lb) just beats me up too much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toolish wrote:
I think the do it all at once mentality has been a big part of my problem.

Need to focus on diet and the bike I think. Running at 100+kg (220 lb) just beats me up too much.

Don't forget walking. Diet, biking and walking.

Best of luck to you, hope you crush it!

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would consider focusing on recomposition of your physique before too much endurance training.

Endurance training can really stress your body.

My suggestion would be weight training, a strict diet high in protein and leafy greens, low fat, no sugar, walking an hour daily, and begin swimming.
Quote Reply
Re: Starting again [Matt J] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Matt J wrote:
I would consider focusing on recomposition of your physique before too much endurance training.

Endurance training can really stress your body.

My suggestion would be weight training, a strict diet high in protein and leafy greens, low fat, no sugar, walking an hour daily, and begin swimming.

What part of ā€˜strict dietā€™ will ensure that OP want to continue his journey in many years to come. He will eventually burn out if he has to live strict.

Morten Falk StĆørling
Blog l Instagram l Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Starting again [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
best reply on this thread. the easiest reply on this thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toolish wrote:

I was in your shoes last year. I was 41 and I had done my last tri in 2013, and last run in 2015-16. Except I quit working out all together. I was also on the road a lot for work and eating horribly. Add to that during COVID I started drinking way more than I should have and I found myself at 6ā€™4ā€ ~260 lbs.

Well, over a year after quitting drinking and changing my eating habits, and after about 9 months of slow rolling back into training (many setbacks in the running) I end my first season back at 173 lbs and a 5:13 in my first 70.3, actually it was my first race back.

I started by just losing some of the weight, then added in swimming and easy cycling. It was difficult coming from once having an FTP of just over 300 to not being able to hold 150 watts. Eventually I started adding in some jogging (I believe it has a soft J ;-). It was also difficult coming from having done long runs in the 7ā€™s to struggling to hold 10ā€™s for a mile or two. I tried to add a bit too much once the feel started coming back and ended up dealing with micro tears in the soleus of both legs. It would feel like they would cramp, but it would last 1-2 weeks before it went away completely. I ended up pausing running for a month or two and focusing on strength workouts until they could handle the mileage. I have yet to do anything speed wise beyond a few tempo runs though.

Iā€™m finally back to an FTP of ~270, and zone 2 runs in low 8ā€™s. It has been a long journey but it feels really good coming out the other side. And Iā€™m really excited for the off-season and next year. If I could give any advice, it would be to take things slow and do an early focus on strength workoutsā€¦my wife tells me Iā€™m not in my 20ā€™s anymore.

--------------------------------------------------------

It seemed like a good idea at the time. . .
Last edited by: type-B: Sep 30, 22 14:24
Quote Reply

Prev Next