Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Specialized Transition mafia [mstange22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you bought directly from us, the needed Direct Mount Adapter is included with every Omega X sold. Feel free to contact support@tririg.com if you need assistance.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Transition mafia [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the response. I did just recently purchase both the Alpha X and Omega X direct. The guy at the shop even looked in the box for "an adapter" when I dropped it off and confirmed that it was there. Then I got a call on the evening I was supposed to pick it up saying that he didn't have it and it would be a few days until he could have one made. Something seems fishy.

Just today I got a call that it should be ready tomorrow, but that he ordered another front-mounted brake, just in case this one didn't work.

I think I'll go down there and talk to him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please post pictures when you get it finished up. I am anxious to how it looks and hear how you like it. I am planning to do the same thing to mine this winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are images of the DM Adapters on the site. Two different sizes are included.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Confirmed with LBS that they do in fact have the adapter. Hopefully he'll have everything done by end of day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm interested to see how you clean up the front end with TriRig. I can't stand all my cables out. I also intend to slam my stem this winter and play around with that
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, so I was hoping to post good results from my conversion to Alpha X, but there were some issues - all due to (I think) LBS mistakes.

They found the direct mount adapter after I called them on it and the brake work ended up fine, but they made a mistake and cut one of the extensions wrong - they cut one end of one bar and the other end of the other so that the extensions aren't symmetrical (and one cannot be adjusted correctly now due to the location of the bend).

Is there any chance you sell just one extension?

Also, they did not route the cabling out the back end of the extensions, instead coming down out of one of the lower sets of holes, so the shifter cables are not hidden from the wind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please email support@tririg.com for individual support. Thanks!

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Email sent!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thinking of joining the transition mafia with buying a frameset and transferring some parts from my road bike. I'd like to know of any comapitibily issues I may run into when transferring parts. The parts I wanna transfer are all shimano 105 5800: BB, crank (50/34), brakes, front and rear der, cassette 11-28, and Hed Jet6+ wheels.

Based on what I've seen in this forum, the wheels should fit fine, right? I run 23c tires. I read some business about issues with smaller chainrings? Can it take a compact crank? I'm guessing transferring normal 5800 rear brake caliper might not work? Any general quirks about the frame I should be aware of? Sorry, lots of questions...

Thanks for the help.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Transition mafia [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know that some have struggled getting them to accept a disc cover without rubbing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Transition used center pull brakes. You will not be able to transfer the brakes.

As far as I know all Transitions came with a 130 BCD crank set. If you look above you will see someone posted that he got chain rub with a 36 inner ring. I'm running a 52/38 130 BCD front end and the chain comes very close to the top of the rear arm when I'm on the 38/12 (where your aren't supposed to be anyway), so I would guess a 34 would cause even earlier rub.

As far as wheels go there should be no problem with what you have on the other bike. I have Flo Wheels running a 26c tire and although it is close and the adjuster screw is backed a long ways out it does not rub and works fine. 23c on any rim should be a walk in the park. The front brake has lots of adjustment to get out of the way. The OEM back brake has to be disassembled and washers removed to fit the wider rims. Not a big deal considering you are going to build the bike to start with.

Otherwise, there is nothing you need to be warned about for that frame, assuming its a later (newer than 2009) model.

You didn't ask, but that bike will take a standard saddle. The clamping system is standard. The post has to be cut to size and it has limited adjustability after that, so measure twice cut once. There were 3 seat posts available for the Transition - a setback, and neutral, and a set forward. Most came with the setback seat post and the other 2 posts take some work to find if you need one. The cockpit was also lacking, but since it has a standard fork and stem there are lots of reasonably priced options that fit.

Lastly, the frame run large. I'm 6ft and ride a 56 Allez that is on the edge of too small, but I ride a medium Transition and it is on the edge of too big for me.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Transition mafia [ilikepizza] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ilikepizza wrote:
I know that some have struggled getting them to accept a disc cover without rubbing.

I don't have a disc cover quite yet but good to know bc I may want one someday.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Transition mafia [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
The Transition used center pull brakes. You will not be able to transfer the brakes.

As far as I know all Transitions came with a 130 BCD crank set. If you look above you will see someone posted that he got chain rub with a 36 inner ring. I'm running a 52/38 130 BCD front end and the chain comes very close to the top of the rear arm when I'm on the 38/12 (where your aren't supposed to be anyway), so I would guess a 34 would cause even earlier rub.

As far as wheels go there should be no problem with what you have on the other bike. I have Flo Wheels running a 26c tire and although it is close and the adjuster screw is backed a long ways out it does not rub and works fine. 23c on any rim should be a walk in the park. The front brake has lots of adjustment to get out of the way. The OEM back brake has to be disassembled and washers removed to fit the wider rims. Not a big deal considering you are going to build the bike to start with.

Otherwise, there is nothing you need to be warned about for that frame, assuming its a later (newer than 2009) model.

You didn't ask, but that bike will take a standard saddle. The clamping system is standard. The post has to be cut to size and it has limited adjustability after that, so measure twice cut once. There were 3 seat posts available for the Transition - a setback, and neutral, and a set forward. Most came with the setback seat post and the other 2 posts take some work to find if you need one. The cockpit was also lacking, but since it has a standard fork and stem there are lots of reasonably priced options that fit.

Lastly, the frame run large. I'm 6ft and ride a 56 Allez that is on the edge of too small, but I ride a medium Transition and it is on the edge of too big for me.

Thank you for all this great info! The stack/reach numbers for medium don't seem too crazy large but that's good to know and hear from someone who has one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 5ft11 and a large transition fits me fine. Fyi
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Transition mafia [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
I'm 5ft11 and a large transition fits me fine. Fyi

Hmm. Thanks. Well with the standard fork and stem combo I guess there's good range of adjustibility in the front end set up. I think I'd go medium if I got one I'm 5'9.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mstange22 wrote:
I'm also in the process of doing this right now. Although LBS says I'm missing an adapter to attach the Omega X to the front fork. Damn. I think they're trying to rig something. The TriRig compatibility chart said it worked with Transitions.

Also bought the Alpha X bar and extensions to slam the front end and internally route all cables (as you can see, the front end is a mess!).

Here is the bike with new Alpha X and Omega X. I also abandoned the FD, small chain ring & shifter. I did have a chain catch installed since I'm sticking with the original 53T chain ring:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:

Can you clarify the seatpost limitations? What type of adjustibility is avaliable after cutting the post? Any at all? If I buy a frame/fork/seatpost am I limited to the exact saddle height of that post (unless it's too tall and I can cut it down to my height)? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
anyone running one of the sram 1x chainrings with shimano components on there shiv?
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Transition mafia [lilteichmonster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lilteichmonster wrote:
Whoa I drastically misspoke. It's a 50/34 I currently have

Can you elaborate more on this situation with the 50/34? Can a compact crank work on the transition? Has anyone else made it work?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the chain was rubbing the derailleur when i was in the small ring. i brought it to a shop to have the look at it at the same time i needed a link replaced. they started googling and actually found a thread on ST saying that the bike was designed for different size chain rings. they didn't feel like adjusting the derailleur would do the trick because if they moved it so it was ok in the small ring, that it would the rub in the big ring. i didn't really explore it much after that but i'd love to get it solved. the noise drives me crazy when im on the bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have one on mine.
Seems to work fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Transition mafia [lilteichmonster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lilteichmonster wrote:
the chain was rubbing the derailleur when i was in the small ring. i brought it to a shop to have the look at it at the same time i needed a link replaced. they started googling and actually found a thread on ST saying that the bike was designed for different size chain rings. they didn't feel like adjusting the derailleur would do the trick because if they moved it so it was ok in the small ring, that it would the rub in the big ring. i didn't really explore it much after that but i'd love to get it solved. the noise drives me crazy when im on the bike

I have a bumblebee 2009 transition. I put a 50/34 for IMWI after having used a 53/39. The LBS had a heck of a time getting things to work. The regular front derailleur was not smooth shifting so we tried to switch to a new front derailleur designed for compact crank, but the derailleur hanger made this tough as no matter how we positioned it, the chain would ride the hanger in the small chain ring.

The other issue (I know you do not want to cross the chain) is that I could only use half my cassette in the small chain ring or the chain would hit the chain stay. This bike was not really designed for a compact set up. I am going to put the 53/39 back on.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Transition mafia [nickwisconsin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
interesting that you've had similar issues, but Triagain3 is all good, and i know others have mentioned a 50/34 should be ok. i don't really want to spend much money so i'll try to have a shop adjust the derailleur for me first before thinking about going to 54/39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:

As far as I know all Transitions came with a 130 BCD crank set. If you look above you will see someone posted that he got chain rub with a 36 inner ring.
Quote:
I'm running a 52/38 130 BCD front end a
nd the chain comes very close to the top of the rear arm when I'm on the 38/12 (where your aren't supposed to be anyway), so I would guess a 34 would cause even earlier rub..

Is it the BCD or the amount of teeth that causes the problem? Would a 110 bcd 52/38 work in the same way you describe your 130 BCD works? If the rub is on the mech cage the BCD wouldn't make a difference would it? ITS about the overall size if the ring, not just the BCD...right? I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around this problem but I want to avoid any hiccups with crankset buying if I go with a transition frame...thanks.
Quote Reply

Prev Next