Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why so many Posers in triathlons??? [rock59] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uhh, no envy here, I ride a $3000 Felt thanks to Tom D, he needed to make his house payment so I bought the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Why so many Posers in triathlons??? [Archer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Why so many A-holes in triathlon?"
- - Because we're obsessive/compulsive; we cain't he'p it...

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Last edited by: Cousin Elwood: Jul 1, 04 18:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri36 Wow. Why would you even have age groups or mens/womens divisions? Flat out, the three best from a total field of, let's say ten. Of course, your entry fees might be on the high side, and don't expect me to let anybody close the roads in my town for ten spoiled brats. Maybe you should be in the Olympics, or maybe you aren't THAT good.
Quote Reply
Re: Why so many Posers in triathlons??? [gcpicken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never said I was that good, plus they draft in the olympics.
Quote Reply
Re: Why so many Posers in triathlons??? [Cousin Elwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NICE! Especially Bart. I just hate it when people criticize without knowing anything about the other person. I guess some people need that to make them feel better about themselves. Nuff said.
Quote Reply
Re: Why so many Posers in triathlons??? [danielito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Why are so many people bothered by this?
Right. Who the hell cares what I do with my money?
Quote Reply
Re: Why so many Posers in triathlons??? [triathlete36] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"this is my 20th year"

One would think that after twenty years this shouldn't bother you. Who cares how people spend their money - it's their money ain't it. Besides, it's good for the economy.

Are you saying that if you're not a top AG'er then you're unworthy of riding a nice bike.

Now that would be a good rule - all participants are required to ride old 12 sp clunkers until they start to place high in AG and then they'll be allowed to ride a nice bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We need to close down this board, no more observations (might hurt peoples feelings) I have an idea, lets do like NASCAR, make everybody ride the exact same bike.. Before the race bikes are issued like timing chips then you give the bike back after the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As long as they (said "Posers") are not McDonald's drive-thru clerks maxing out their Discover Cards for all that stuff, I say GOOD FOR THEM! If you love the sport & lifestyle, go ahead and spend a lot, if it's within your budget.... my first Tri, I barely placed in the top 1/2 of my age group, but I had a nice carbon fiber bike... (but wore a $10 swimsuit all 3 legs)... if all these toys encourage people to stick to the sport, what harm?

My second race a while back, I did a 2:30 ID Tri, with same carbon fiber bike and a wetsuit this time (USED!), placing much closer to the top (4th out of 20 in my age group)... so have I earned the right to ride my carbon fiber bike yet? Or should I wait till I get 7.432 minutes faster or move up one age group spot?

Actually, all the "Posers" SHOULD be appreciated. If they were not posing behind the Top 3, then there would be no race, and you would feel less accomplishment when you lap them. Reminds me of my glory days of HS track, when I actually lapped one poor guy in the 1600 meter run (on a 4 lap track).. and he had the NERVE to wear spikes!

Lighten up. We do this for fun. If people have the $$, enjoy spending it. It's the engine that counts, anyway. A back-of-pack poser might save 2 minutes on the swim, 3 on the bike, and 1 on the run with the fanciest of high-tech equipment (vs. a swimsuit, huffy bike, and basic Kmart trainers). But maybe it makes them feel more confident/better competing with The Gear on, so go for it.

I still like my carbon fiber bike (road frame geometry). And if I keep improving at this rate, my poser ass is gonna pass YOU my next race! :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Why so many Posers in triathlons??? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My original quote was "I'm not saying you have to place so high to buy expensive stuff but it's like playing golf a few times a year and buying a $2000 set of clubs..."

I never said it bothered me, just making an observation. I love how everybody jumps to conclusions and changes the original message

In Reply To:
"this is my 20th year"

One would think that after twenty years this shouldn't bother you. Who cares how people spend their money - it's their money ain't it. Besides, it's good for the economy.

Are you saying that if you're not a top AG'er then you're unworthy of riding a nice bike.

Now that would be a good rule - all participants are required to ride old 12 sp clunkers until they start to place high in AG and then they'll be allowed to ride a nice bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"it's like playing golf a few times a year and buying a $2000 set of clubs..."

And......? I've got a friend just like that. His golf sucks but he's got nice clubs. Could also be because he's in sales and golfs with a lot of clients and wants to present an image of financial success.

But whatever the reason, who cares. Like I said, it's their money.
Quote Reply
Re: Why so many Posers in triathlons??? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, money makes the economy work. I wonder how many bike reps are at triathlons?? Except Tom D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everyone's allowed their opinions and "observations", but when it comes across as an attack this is the reaction you'll get. Didn't hurt my feelings, I just don't understand the mindset.
Quote Reply
Re: Why so many Posers in triathlons??? [gj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Seeing these fat dudes with their USPS jerseys with a Zipp disc on the back while posting a 7 hour bike split is sad..."

I disagree with you.. I have a lot of respect for those people, at least they are out there trying.. Maybe one day that 7 hrs bike will become 6hrs.. Geez I did 6:51 the first time, should I bother going back this year???? I had tears in my eyes being a "catcher" at the finish line in Hawaii last year.. What it meant for those people that finished in 16-17hrs, was incredible.. between the guy that was a coach potato, the girl that had cancer, the guy with one leg, I had a lot of admiration for their courage and perseverence and took a life lesson out of it.. I can't even begin to tell you how much of an inspiration it was to talk to them... If you want to qualify for a race, that is what Kona is for...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who made you the arbiter of what placing "so high" means? Your so-called "observations" are put-downs that probably hurt the feelings of a lot of slower slowtwitchers (I would have felt bad reading your posts around the time of my 1st tri last year).

By the way, since you are so big on standards and placings, you cannot escape from this thread without posting your EXACT PRs for sprint, OD, 1/2 IM, and IM. I'm just curious to know how fast you really are. Because I'm sure there are some former "posers" following this thread that are now faster than you (or at least comparable...)...

Now, your idea on everyone competing on the same bike, that's the kind of comment/idea that belongs on this Board in my opinion (as opposed to bashing folks slower than you). :-) For Olympic events, TDF, etc., I think this is an idea that should be considered. As I mentioned on an earlier post, it's ridiculous in track cycling/bobsled/Tri/whatever that how much money a country/sponsoring corporation spends on R&D counts almost as much as the athlete (when the difference between 1st and 14th may be less than a few seconds). And poorer nations certainly can't compete. Why not require everyone to use the same bike, or bikes built to the same standard specs? Worth considering... we "posers" could still download our bulging wallets for tri suits, carbon fiber spikes, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many people do triathlons without any desire to finish in their top AG, or desire to finish in the top half overall and just merely enjoy the excitement of the equipment and healthy exercise it brings.

I ride a piece of shit Raleigh 700, wear a pair of worn out Cannondale shorts, but I do have a pair of Oakley half jackets. I don't feel too guilty about the 119 dollar sunglasses, but I do also fish in them, and play tennis and golf.
Quote Reply
Re: Why so many Posers in triathlons??? [Marisol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
     Actually I totally agree with you, my post was intended to be sarcasm. Finishing in 8 or 17 hours for an IM or for that matter taking 5 hours to finish a sprint on a beater or a $5000 ride isn't my concern, I think that its important that someone is out there in the first place.
Quote Reply
Re: Why so many Posers in triathlons??? [Marisol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone and I mean anyone that completes an IM, be in in 8 hours or 17,has done more than 99.9999% of the population and that is HUGE, BIG, MONUMENTAL! Get off your high horse and join the rest of us mortals!
Quote Reply
So many Arseholes, so few bullets. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was summed up previously. There are many Arseholes in this sport.
Quote Reply
Re: So many Arseholes, so few bullets. [plazbot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and i believe that you'll find a lot more assholes at the front of the pack who aren't quite winning bitching about guys at the back of the pack on nicer bikes than them...

as noted in many other threads, the ones who actually win at the humble ones, the ones who just miss winning are usually the envious assholes.

oh well.

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The original question was something to the effect of: "Why do people try to replace training with a bunch of high end gear?" On a little more constructive note, I'd like to hear what people think causes this tendency. Is it a consumer culture that tells us we can buy happiness? Is it lazyness?

Also, what causes a certain group of triathletes (myself included) to at least chuckle at someone who is way overgeared? My experience with this group is they tend to be pretty fast, and have often payed their dues in the sport. Few ran an Ironman their first year. Most have defined a "right" way to be a triathlete and try to live it out. Most are not poor. Why?

Discuss.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You ask the question - Why is it people insist on buying expensive stuff when they can't finish in the top 50% of their age group? (paraphrased) They do because they can. Because this is a free country. Because there are no rules in triathlon that forbid it.

Here is my question - Why did you ask such a rhetorical question? You later stated that it was merely an observation, but the negative tone was there and thus the negative replies to your post. It's the same as if I asked "Why is it that black people wear expensive jewlery and listen to annoying rap music?" How do you think people would react to that question? But then I could say that it is merely an observation and the negative people were getting all bent out of shape for nothing.

Ed

LLLEEEEEEEEEEEERRRROOOYYY JEEENNNNNKKKIIINNNNNS!!!
Quote Reply
Re: So many Arseholes, so few bullets. [plazbot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still, t36 is a good poster, and a funny one. This thread is going to really attract some wrath. I winced when I saw it and foresaw he would get "the run" on it.

However, his underlying criticism about "over spending" is true, a bit, it is. This thread is going to be a electronic pinyatta for the many thousands who probably spend too much money to satisfy "cravings" for some bike, running, or swimming equipment, not suitable or commissurate to their talents. They feel attacked by this. I am guilty of this. "I just need to get that." A pair of Kayano's. Or "that bike," or "new wheels." Or that pair of new $35 goggles.

However, having said that, I see no ability to progress in this sport without also moving forward gradually into better, more expensive equipment. The progressive advances in performance which someone makes from better training sessions can also be said to occur in that athletes understanding of what is or is not better equipment, which comes from research, and general discussion in the community: not vaingloriousness.

I think if T36 had to say it again, maybe, we should say that the progression into expensive equipment should match the results, progressively, not all at once.

Its not vaingloriousness, in as much as its practically better in the long run to go with better quality. It is not vanity for me to want Kayano's, over cheaper $35 Nike running shoes, nor want poor, cheap goggles over Barracuda goggles, for example. However, if I were just to begin swimming, maybe going out and buying a $55 pair of Barracuda's isn't a good idea, or to begin running, with a pair of $140 shoes.

The progression into better more expensive equipment should be gradual, commissurate with performance. I think this is what he is trying to say.

About bike spending. I posted a few weeks back about some of my friends who I do triathlons with, who place way up in their AG, who scoffed at my desire to buy a "fast aero bike." They jokingly said they wouldn't haul it up there until I did better than what I did. I do this with much less seriousness than them.

However, interestingly on the way back from the race, they made fun of my Raleigh "beater", in a nice way. And one of them has commenced to find me a better bike, its his mission, and he will call me at work, with some 1500-2000 bike, he found, saying, "the difference between what you ride, and this is NIGHT AND DAY."

So, you know, that's a mixed signal. I'm not worthy of a better bike, but the one I have sucks. Sift through that one.
Quote Reply
Re: Why so many Posers in triathlons??? [edwinj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What bugs me is this guy is surely not alone with this off the wall attitude and nobody has the guts to ask this question at a race. They'd likely get their face smacked after trying to put down the guy with the nice gear.
Quote Reply
Re: So many Arseholes, so few bullets. [boothrand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd like to know what level is commensurate with what bike?

When I have an IM bike split of X, do I get to buy my P3, or do I have to settle for the Dual or the P2K? Who gives a rat's ass whether the 300 lb guy who finishes last in the local sprint is riding a Blade with Zip 909's?

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply

Prev Next