Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
My Shiv has been at the LBS going into the 3rd week now. I got an update from them a few days ago. They are still waiting for Spec to send the the parts.

Same for me. The shop, per a phone call today, was told that Spec has the parts and were supposedly overnighting them to the shop. They thought I might have my bike back by this weekend but I'm not holding my breath.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
kokketiel wrote:
I did use the $100 toward an Evade helmet :).

Have you tried the Evade yet? My wife needs an aero race helmet and she isn't fired up about a normal tail wing style unit. I was thinking the Evade might be a middle ground.

Nice! I got an evade just before this all went down so I used my credit on shoes.

The evade is nice. I am in Florida and I don't find my self getting any hotter that in my normal road helmet. The only down side is that if I get an itch i can no longer easily scratch it through the vents. I can deal with that though ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On Saturday (4/18) my bike store said the parts were on back order and the Evade helmet I wanted with my credit is on back order too.

Today, Tuesday (4/21), Specialized Rider Care informed by that they have parts and can over night them. Just need your dealer to contact their warranty rep. They also said they have (700+) Evade helmets in stock.

I'm having a bad experience with my shop....
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I have registered my bike, a 2013 Specialized Transition Apex but the Specialized website doesn't have the Apex, only the Comp and above. What gives?

I took it in to West End Cycles here in Houston and I would like my gift card.

I had to register the bike online as a comp hence no recall notice e-mail.

Thanks.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay this solution didn't work. Took it to the LBS and it materially changed my fit to where I couldn't ride it for too long and aero. They took pictures and are sending the specialized but I hope you guys have another plan. There were two bikes with the pad significantly behind the pivot points. There's no way they see the solution working for that. This is now at the point where not only did the solution roll out no go well but the solution isn't universal.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [Naps a lot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Naps a lot wrote:
On Saturday (4/18) my bike store said the parts were on back order and the Evade helmet I wanted with my credit is on back order too.

Today, Tuesday (4/21), Specialized Rider Care informed by that they have parts and can over night them. Just need your dealer to contact their warranty rep. They also said they have (700+) Evade helmets in stock.

I'm having a bad experience with my shop....
I just heard from my LBS. They expected the parts today, but there's a delay and now they don't know when they are getting them. Over three weeks in the shop, plus two more weeks before that of talking to the LBS before I left the bike with them. First race in 5 weeks, and I have to get a new fit between now and then, obviously closer to now so I can put a few rides in with the new fit.

I'm out of time.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [Badger2501] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My bike shop received about 40 low stack kits in two weeks ago. Dropped off bike and it was done the same day. Did not need a new fit, they simply took one aerobar off first and lined everything up with the remaining one then did the second. Fit is the same, the only issue I now have is figuring out how to get my Garmin and bottle set up to work. Bars are different enough that not everything fit as before. But the overall bike fit is the same. I have to say, the bike shop was on top of everything start to finish. Be sure to bring spare spacers if you have them as they may need them to match the fit.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wannabefaster wrote:
Dilbert wrote:
My Shiv has been at the LBS going into the 3rd week now. I got an update from them a few days ago. They are still waiting for Spec to send the the parts.

Same for me. The shop, per a phone call today, was told that Spec has the parts and were supposedly overnighting them to the shop. They thought I might have my bike back by this weekend but I'm not holding my breath.

Still no bike. No call from the shop. No follow up. No idea when it will be coming back to me. Good thing I didn't sell my old tri bike or this would have been a very long stretch of no riding.

My LBS suddenly went out of business last fall. This was my trial run at establishing a relationship with a new LBS and it is not going well. I am not sure how much of this is the fault of Specialized and how much of it is fault of the shop but the complete lack of communication is starting to (irritate me).

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was promised delivery of a new S-Works Shiv 20'th february and still have not seen it !!!
The date have been pushed back all the time, and tuesday for 3 weeks ago they said that they will send the bike without the aerobar....my shop ordered a Zipp Vuka aero for replacement at MY cost....Specialized does not want to pay for the replacement...they only reduce a VERY little amount of cash from the bike and not even close to the amount what the aerobar cost bought separately.

The Zipp Vuka was inn store 2 days after but the Shiv.....still no sign of it.

When placing an order of a new bike in the middle of November and Specialized still cant delivery it I must say it's kinda disappointing from a firm like Specialized.....and the 100$ that we get to spend on Specialized stuff....is NOTHING.

Waiting for a call from my LBS today that is trying as hard as they can to find me a Shiv but Specialized is doing the job very hard for them.

My first race is in 40 days....

Cae.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wannabefaster wrote:
wannabefaster wrote:
Dilbert wrote:

Still no bike. No call from the shop. No follow up. No idea when it will be coming back to me. Good thing I didn't sell my old tri bike or this would have been a very long stretch of no riding.

My LBS suddenly went out of business last fall. This was my trial run at establishing a relationship with a new LBS and it is not going well. I am not sure how much of this is the fault of Specialized and how much of it is fault of the shop but the complete lack of communication is starting to (irritate me).

My LBS has been good with update emails. It's been a bit over 3 weeks, and Specialized just shipped the parts today (from Salt Lake). YMMV.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My LBS took my measurements about 3 weeks ago. I got call yesterday that Specialized shipped the first batch of parts last week to my LBS and mine was in there.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [loutriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My bike is at the shop, I figured I'd wait for it figuring it was a simple swap. 1 bolt attachment swapped for 2 bolt setup. Not the case
I was surprised how much of a change is involved with the fix.
The owner of my LBS was also surprised how much work was involved, and how much he was going to be reimbursed.

I also happened to talk to a friend who has a shiv, and he had no idea about the recall, made me wonder how many people are unaware?
Last edited by: tomaco1: May 2, 15 4:41
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [tomaco1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tomaco1 wrote:
My bike is at the shop, I figured I'd wait for it figuring it was a simple swap. 1 bolt attachment swapped for 2 bolt setup. Not the case
I was surprised how much of a change is involved with the fix.
The owner of my LBS was also surprised how much work was involved, and how much he was going to be reimbursed.

I also happened to talk to a friend who has a shiv, and he had no idea about the recall, made me wonder how many people are unaware?

I never received a notice of the recall from Specialized or the LBS where I originally purchased. Granted, I've moved since then but my phone number and email are the same that the shop has on record. I found out on Slowtwitch. Mine has been repaired but I raced a 70.3 a couple weeks ago. It was a small race but I saw 4-5 other Shivs in transition on race morning. All of them still had the original parts and none had the low-stack replacement kit.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [Jkintn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got my bike back with the fix. However, absolutely no attention was paid to the position of the previous aerobars. I'll have to go through a refit which is annoying. I also never received a notice from the lbs where I bought the bike or specialized even though my bike is dutifully registered. What's more the specialized sales rep was in the store while I was there and when I asked about the $100 credit toward specialized products he had no idea what I was talking about. He asked where I had seen that so using the store's computer I showed him the information on the specialized.com website. He said he'd get back to me but I'm not holding my breath.
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv carbon aerobar - Sop Sale Notice [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm negotiating to buy a used S-works shiv frame with the bars. The price is really good. I have a couple of questions; How can I tell if the aerobars have been fixed as part of the recall or not? Does anyone have before and after pics?

Also I'm a bit paranoid is there a way to tell an S-works frame from another aside from the giant stickers? what if someone just switched stickers? Are they stickers or painted on? It is the black on black one so it looks a lot like the other one where you put your own stickers on it. Are there fake knock off frames floating around? And last will I need any paperwork from the seller to get it fixed as part of the recall? Ok so that was a few more than a couple of questions. Appreciate any insight people can share before I slap down my cash.
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv carbon aerobar - Sop Sale Notice [mmmike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As far as authenticity, you could check the serial # (under the BB) and confirm w/Specialized.

The setup on the left is the "repaired" version using the low-stack kit (note: your bar will have have a flat clamping section in the middle...and of course it's carbon).

Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Last edited by: Titanflexr: May 2, 15 11:17
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv carbon aerobar - Sop Sale Notice [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
As far as authenticity, you could check the serial # (under the BB) and confirm w/Specialized.

The setup on the left is the "repaired" version using the low-stack kit (note: your bar will have have a flat clamping section in the middle...and of course it's carbon).

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv carbon aerobar - Sop Sale Notice [mmmike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So exactly what BTA hydration and computer setups are compatible with the low stack mount? Looking at the pictures and doing a couple of measurements it looks like next to none. Forget anything that uses two straps (e.g. X-Lab Torpedo which I currently have). But even solutions that use one strap e.g. Profile Design Aero Bracket look like they might not have enough space left to fit a bottle (let apart computer in front of the bottle) without getting in the way of the hand grips.

Thoughts? Pictures?

Now, not only we lose adjustability (and with it bike resale value), but also more limited hydration/computer options. Is Specialized willing to replace the bars with comparable ones (Zipp Alumina, Profile Design Aeria T2 alloy) because of these issues (i.e. not due to fit issues)?

Less power, more aero.
Quote Reply
Difference between Specialized and S-Works [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i can offer an alternative way of identifying an S-Works but you need to have a look at a few Shivs ( possibly at your LBS)

I own a 2012 Specialized Shiv and my wife has had 2 S-Works.

Remove the bladder and shine a torch into the frame. There is a marked difference in the workmanship and finish. My frame was quite rough, which tiny bits of the moulding bladder still evident. It also looked like the weave was not completely impregnated with resin.

My wife's S-Works was much better finished with a smoother surface.

If necessary, I could post photos if required.
Quote Reply
Re: Difference between Specialized and S-Works [coxy_in_nz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you could posts pics it would be appreciated. I'm supposed to check out the bike tomorrow morning, I won't have a chance to see others before then.
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv carbon aerobar - Sop Sale Notice [captainfranz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a TorHans aero bottle between the low stack bars and a sram attachment on the cross bar for the garmin. There is just enough room near the stem for the Garmin bracket. At a glance you wouldn't think so but it is a perfect fit. The aero bottle bracket needs to set forward a little more, zip ties keep the bracket in place. I've added some sticky velcro then velcro straps around the bars. Found the velcro straps at home depot, used for keeping electrical cables neat and tidy. My specialized set up is on a Trek so it may or may not work on a different model. The Garmin bracket did fit when we tried it on the shivs at my lbs.
Last edited by: madonebug: May 2, 15 19:19
Quote Reply
Re: Difference between Specialized and S-Works [mmmike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried to photograph the difference and the photo really don't show it well, the S-Works side wall was definitely darker and more consistent in colour however I noticed that on the top tube near the seat post my bike has FACT 10R Carbon in very fine lettering, whereas the S-Works has FACT 11R Carbon on it.

This is quite obvious and looks like it's under the clear coat.

Sorry I could deliver on the photos.

Coxy
Quote Reply
Re: Difference between Specialized and S-Works [coxy_in_nz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no worries. Thanks for trying and that info helps a lot.
Quote Reply
Re: Difference between Specialized and S-Works [mmmike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do any of the official fixes not include the low stack kit? I don't want to loose my XLabb Torpedo.
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv carbon aerobar - Sop Sale Notice [captainfranz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
captainfranz wrote:
So exactly what BTA hydration and computer setups are compatible with the low stack mount? Looking at the pictures and doing a couple of measurements it looks like next to none. Forget anything that uses two straps (e.g. X-Lab Torpedo which I currently have). But even solutions that use one strap e.g. Profile Design Aero Bracket look like they might not have enough space left to fit a bottle (let apart computer in front of the bottle) without getting in the way of the hand grips.

Thoughts? Pictures?

Now, not only we lose adjustability (and with it bike resale value), but also more limited hydration/computer options. Is Specialized willing to replace the bars with comparable ones (Zipp Alumina, Profile Design Aeria T2 alloy) because of these issues (i.e. not due to fit issues)?

Here's Ben Hoffman's shiv with the low-stack kit and a zip-tied bta cage.

I'm thinking the X-lab with the velcro straps might work (as long as the straps are long enough).

Quote Reply

Prev Next