Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Secondhand Dimond [Justlevy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Justlevy wrote:
Thanks for sharing. After learning of their customer service practices I wouldn't buy new or used after reading that. I prefer working with companies that have excellent customer service policies like Zappos, Amazon, Nordstrom, etc..

-j

That's unfair to Dimond. I've had nothing but excellent customer service from them.

I think the issue is probably going to boil down to Brad misunderstanding the OP from their first communication and thinking the OP was the original owner and not the second owner. The price is different depending. It is what it is. I have dealt with Brad on a few occasions and found him to be a straight up guy.

If I bought a pair of shoes from Zappos or a TV from Amazon or a dress shirt from Nordstrom and then sold the shoes/TV/shirt to you and you encountered either A) a problem or B) wanted to upgrade the shoe/TV/shirt... would you expect to be treated the same as me, the original owner? I doubt it. You don't often see any transferability from original owner to subsequent owners for any products for things like warranties or upgrades. Especially for a small time operation like Dimond. Dimond is fiercely loyal to its existing customers.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
That's unfair to Dimond. I've had nothing but excellent customer service from them.

A bike accident, 5 weeks prior to Kona, destroyed my bike. All Brad said was "What do you need form us?" and then shipped me a demo bike with components matching my previous bike to train on for the final few weeks and to use for the race. No charge.

As appreciative as I was it was highly UNsurprising. That sums up Dimond, and Brad.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [getbarreled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should look into using a TriRig XF stem. The clamp area is much smaller than any other stem.

getbarreled wrote:
This is really just to serve as a warning. After buying a Dimond Brilliant through Pros Closet, it became clear that the previous owner cut the steerer tube too short. I contacted Brad Bach at Dimond via telephone and told him the situation. He he told me that a replacement Superfork sold for $600. Expensive but understandable. Upon following up with him via email about lead time and to start the ordering process. He informed me that it would be $1200 for the superfork. When I called later to question the change, he told me that $600 is how much they charged people who had bought full priced bikes from them (he knew from the first minute we spoke, that I had purchased secondhand), and that $1200 would be my price. I pressed further, he said he would sell one to me for $600, only if I made referral that resulted in the purchase of a full price bike. When I pressed him on the matter of questionable customer service in quoting a price, then doubling it (which he does not deny doing), he told me what I suspected all along. They doubled the price, just for me!
"Nate, we have never sold a superfork to a non-customer before, and I don't plan to start doing that anytime soon. The $600 price is for Dimond customers. I'm sorry the exception I was going to give to you isn't enough."
They should just say it from the start. "If you didn't buy it from us, then fuck off."
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [JayPeeWhy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JayPeeWhy wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

A bike accident, 5 weeks prior to Kona, destroyed my bike. All Brad said was "What do you need form us?" and then shipped me a demo bike with components matching my previous bike to train on for the final few weeks and to use for the race. No charge.

As appreciative as I was it was highly UNsurprising. That sums up Dimond, and Brad.

Same here.

I've been worked with the folks at Dimond and Brad since 2014, and have always had excellent customer service from the group - timely and straight forward.

Great company/great guy.

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow I have nothing but good things to say about Dimond and Brad. I ordered a bike last year with custom paint. Bike came it was a stock paint job. Called Brad he just said something happened in the pipe line and they would take care of it. Sent the bike back told him I would be Ironman Wisconsin in 5 weeks just bring the bike there in there demo van that would be fine. Came home 2 weeks later there was a box from Dimond sitting on my porch. The bike was beautiful raced it at Wisconsin. Dimond is top rate to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a second hand dimond too recently. It came with the regular fork. I had a friend (who is a Dimond bike owner) ask Dimond for me if I could purchase a superfork. Basically, I was told by my friend that Dimond cannot keep up with their orders so they cant sell me a fork.

I dont blame Dimond for not selling me a fork. If they wanted $1200, I would have paid for it.

So I just got a new p5-six fork off ebay for $300. Got the magura brake fairings from excel sports for $30. Then a buddy of mine painted the fork for $70. With a little elbow grease and a fiberglass repair kit. I got something that looks stock.

Maybe you can sell the fork to someone with a smaller size frame (shorter head tube) to offset your cost. Just an idea.
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [astig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guys, my post was pretty clear I thought. I don't question their customer service to customers who have dropped $6k+ on a bike frame. I own a service business. It's easy to give great service to people who blow fat stacks at your business.
It's the fact that they (Brad Bach) straight up quoted a price with no stupulations, knowing full well the secondhand pretense (over the phone so no email record but in follow up emails Mr Bach does not in any way deny that he personally quote said price), then after the fact, decided to double the price.
Couple that with his exact words... "I've never sold a superfork to a non customer, and I don't plan to start."
How is that anything other than someone saying "I quote you that price so you would go away." ?

Salton Sea Triathlon Club
“I swim to get to the bike. I run because nobody gives a shit about aquabike.â€
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've thought through all the possibilities and frankly, I have the parts to put the bike on the road tomorrow with the 3T fork. I love everything about the Dimond as a bike and it sucks to have to go this way, but it would take a serious gesture on their part to make me ever put that brand out on the road. We live in a time when information is too easily spread and customer service is king. If they made a mistake in quoting me a low price, own that shit and learn from it on the next one. If you're willing to lose a customer and a promoter of your product and service over $600 dollars from your own fuck up that you don't deny, you aren't someone I'm interested in promoting. Maybe TJ reads this and pumps the brakes over there, but I doubt it. Really a shame. It's a damn pretty bike!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
getbarreled wrote:
Guys, my post was pretty clear I thought. I don't question their customer service to customers who have dropped $6k+ on a bike frame. I own a service business. It's easy to give great service to people who blow fat stacks at your business.
It's the fact that they (Brad Bach) straight up quoted a price with no stupulations, knowing full well the secondhand pretense (over the phone so no email record but in follow up emails Mr Bach does not in any way deny that he personally quote said price), then after the fact, decided to double the price.
Couple that with his exact words... "I've never sold a superfork to a non customer, and I don't plan to start."
How is that anything other than someone saying "I quote you that price so you would go away." ?
Great way for Dimond to kill the resale value of their bikes. As much as it may seem its a way to get people to buy a new bike Dimond, it will also make people think twice if the bike depreciates like crazy because theres no support for anyone but the initial owner.
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [test] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are putting to much on the manufacturer. Their primary interest is selling new bikes and I get that. You can ask any primary Dimond owner and they will ALL say that the customer service is second to none!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like that exactly what he was intending to do; he made it clear he doesn't want to take his business in that direction so he disincentivized (is that even a word?) you to pay that amount of money but probably figures if you were willing to pay that much he was okay with doing so. Sounds fair to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
getbarreled wrote:
but it would take a serious gesture on their part to make me ever put that brand out on the road!

So . . .

1. Brad makes a mistake on a quote for a superfork for you, later realizes the mistake, and changes the price.

2. You feel entitled to get the fork at the misquoted price. Can you elaborate on why you feel Dimond should 'own [their] fuck up' for your benefit?

3. You come here to throw a tantrum and do as much damage to the company as possible because you are angry that you didn't get what you feel entitled to.

4. Not being a Dimond customer and given #3, you think the owner of the company should make some kind of gesture to you so that you will ride the bike you didn't buy from them, presumably because you would be a 'promoter of [their] product'. Funny.

I think that perhaps you should do some introspection. What I gather from this thread isn't that there is a major deficit in Dimond customer service, but that you are an entitled self-important jerk. You need to take this matter up with the Pro's Closet.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
2. You feel entitled to get the fork at the misquoted price. Can you elaborate on why you feel Dimond should 'own [their] fuck up' for your benefit?

Customers think along those lines quite frequently actually.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If someone wants to buy a fork from Dimond that makes him a customer too.

I found this tread helpful because it shows the business strategy a company makes and how your own purchase decisions and preferences may or may not fit with the company's strategy. It seems clear that the service is great when getting a new bike. It also seems clear that one should be very careful when getting a second hand bike to make sure there are no replacement parts needed because Dimond does not want to be in the business of doing that. So if you buy a used bike, make sure the fork has the right length and that you're not expecting to upgrade. I think all of this is good to share on this forum - no need to call the topic starter names.
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [test] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
test wrote:
Great way for Dimond to kill the resale value of their bikes. As much as it may seem its a way to get people to buy a new bike Dimond, it will also make people think twice if the bike depreciates like crazy because theres no support for anyone but the initial owner.

It's no different than Trek, Cervelo, Specialized, Felt, and probably every other bike manufacturer on the planet. The support is for the initial owner. The initial owner is Trek's customer or Cervelo's customer or Dimond's customer. Yes, we can look at it as everyone is a potential customer but for this one specific bike, getbarreled is not Dimond's customer. He's Pro's Closet's customer. Therefore, not entitled to the advantages of being Dimond's customer in this instance.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
getbarreled wrote:

Couple that with his exact words... "I've never sold a superfork to a non customer, and I don't plan to start." (1)
How is that anything other than someone saying "I quote you that price so you would go away." ? (2)

Again, you are entirely wrong and it actually contradicts what you said before. Which doubles down on my view that you are not being entirely honest about the whole conversation.

Your statement above implies two things.

1 - That he was refusing to sell you a fork at all
2 - That the price was made up in order to get rid of you.

But

1 - You clearly stated in your original post that he would sell you the fork albeit for the correct price of $1200 and you even added his comment that ".. I'm sorry the exception I was going to give to you isn't enough .." the exception being that he appreciated that there had been a miscommunication about being the previous owner and was willing to sell you the fork in order to accommodate that issue despite the fact that normally they do not sell that fork.

2 - We have already established that the price was actually not made up to get rid of you but was the price stipulated before the fork even went into production, was the price that was given to existing owners, was the price outlined in press releases and was the price indicated in reviews of the fork.

Here's how I see it.

Situation:
Either you have the original smaller fork and don't like it and / or it has been cut short (a question that remains unanswered from my previous post). Or you have the Superfork and it has been cut too short. Neither of which are Dimond issues. You phone Dimond and either do not initially convey, or they do not hear, that you are a second owner. In the belief that you are an original owner they quote you the price for existing customer to upgrade their forks. Either way it is irrelevant. The cost of the fork to non owners would be $1200 if they were able to produce enough to sell. Fact. Always has been, always will be. Then special deal upgrade price for existing original owners is $600. You are not one of those.

End Result: You are not being charged more for no reason, you are being asked for the correct amount and, despite being non Dimond customer, they are actually offering you and you alone the chance to purchase the Superfork at the correct price because you purchased a bike that was defective and for some reason are not inclined to take it up with Pro Locker. You are not a 'used Dimond rider' being left out in the cold. They are willing to sort you out. You just, unfairly, want to pay 50% off retail and are still trying to make that happen.

This thread is just a bogus attempt to pile some shit on a company unfairly because you purchased a defective product, want the bike, and are trying to strong-arm Dimond into providing the fork you want rather than send the defective frame back to the company that sold you the defective bike in the first place.

Great service is not cowing down to people just because they skew a dealing with the company, demand to pay half price and then go onto social media to try and force the deal through. Great customer service is dealing with people like you in the correct manner to avoid driving up costs for their customers.

The sentence in your first post where you intimated they should have told you to 'fuck off' from the start is bang on though. I would have as soon as you started trying to rip me off.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Last edited by: JayPeeWhy: Apr 8, 17 7:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to pile on too much here but I've had. I've had only great experience when dealing with Dimond (and Brad). I've always found him, and the whole team, to be upfront and professional.

Regarding the specific nature of how this all began it would seem that the OP/pro closet didn't properly research/disclose the bike fit needed or that could be provided with the bike and now throwing a bit of a tantrum.

As others have stated your beef should be with procloset. Or just pony up the 1200 and ride the bike like a big boy. You'll go fast and love the bike!!

2024: IM Hamburg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
getbarreled wrote:
but it would take a serious gesture on their part to make me ever put that brand out on the road!

I had to reply to this one because it's so surprising to me.
Ericlambi, it's pretty much an all industries standard practice and basic customer service 101. When you make a mistake, you own it and do your best to favor the customer in the mistake, in order to keep customer relations strong. This is a really basic concept.[/reply]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll just say this because holy crap I don't have the free time that some of you do to hammer away on this stuff.

Pro's Closet has been exceptionally helpful in this process and patiently allowing me to try to work something out with Dimond. They have also offered some cash back to help offset the cost of the fork if we went that route. Ultimately it looks like the bike is getting packed up and sent back to them. Good news for Brad, he gets to deal with this all over again with somebody else.

Ultimately it seems pretty clear that different people are going to have different feelings about this so fine. It seems to go over the head though of everybody that wants to pipe in here about how wonderful the customer service at Dimond is, that providing great customer service only AFTER someone spends tons of money is not anything to write home about. It's how you treat the people who are interested in your brand and trying to find a way to be involved with it and support it. I don't think I would have the successful business that I do if I took their approach. Regardless of who on Slowtwitch thinks I'm a "self entitled jerk", looking to "rip people off", I can say that in my own life and business, I practice what I preach. Not much I can do beyond that. I appreciate that some of you have engaged this discussion without attacking from behind a keyboard.

Last edited by: getbarreled: Apr 8, 17 8:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think if I buy a new fork or any other part for my used Specialized it's going to cost about the same as if I would have bought it new, and the same holds true for my new Giant. This is not a warranty/support issue, it's a simple parts transaction that has many levels of problems.
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [New3901] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New3901 wrote:
I think if I buy a new fork or any other part for my used Specialized it's going to cost about the same as if I would have bought it new, and the same holds true for my new Giant. This is not a warranty/support issue, it's a simple parts transaction that has many levels of problems.

I agree. Other posters in the thread brought up warranty. To me it was never a warranty issue because warranty has nothing to do with it. My post was only ever about me trying to purchase new product, Brad reneging on the price he quoted, then flatly telling me I'm not a customer when I was trying to buy product from him. And for whatever it's worth, (I'm sure I'll catch grief for not mentioning this in the beginning), I had already made purchases from them for necessary items to build up the bike e.g. seat post, bottom bracket, upper and lower cable guide doors, etc.
Again, there's no business model in the world that says it is a good approach to treat people who have already given you money like they are not your customers regardless of whether it's $300 or $30,000.

Last edited by: getbarreled: Apr 8, 17 8:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Totally with you. Plus, $1200 for a fork? Give me a f**ing break. It just boggles my mind that people are willing to pay 10k for a mickey mouse engineered overpriced POS and they will then also charge you $140 for that plastic crap which is covering their failure to design proper cable routing.

getbarreled wrote:
New3901 wrote:

I agree. Other posters in the thread brought up warranty. To me it was never a warranty issue because warranty has nothing to do with it. My post was only ever about me trying to purchase new product, and Brad flatly telling me I'm not a customer when I was trying to buy product from him. And for whatever it's worth, (I'm sure I'll catch grief for not mentioning this in the beginning), I had already made purchases from them for necessary items to build up the bike e.g. seat post, bottom bracket, upper and lower cable guide doors, etc.
Again, there's no business model in the world that says it is a good approach to treat people who have already given you money like they are not your customers regardless of whether it's $300 or $30,000.
Quote Reply
Re: Secondhand Dimond [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Make that two, I would never buy from them ever. I like to buy new bikes a lot mostly used and I would never deal with a company that has such a backwards view of customer service.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

It's no different than Trek, Cervelo, Specialized, Felt, and probably every other bike manufacturer on the planet. The support is for the initial owner.

Uhh, you know that is not true, right? You are almost completely wrong, in fact.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Somebody previously said it, if you are trying to buy the fork you are a potential customer. I have heard so many great things about Dimond customer service and you can see their impressive showmanship at races. It is wonderful how they take care of their customers, but it is dangerous to treat secondhand owners as thought they aren't owners. If this guy bought his Dimond secondhand and everything was fine, then he's out there riding a billboard for the company. Not everyone has the disposable income to buy bikes,, new, but that doesn't mean that their riding doesn't serve as the same product endorsement. When a guy passes you on a Felt IA in a race, you don't ask him whether he bought it new or not. As foolish as it sounds, when that IA passes you'll be questioning whether or not you would be faster on an IA. Assuming that Dimond doesn't lose money on the $600 price tag for the fork, then they should honor that price that was given. I've always seen Dimond's service in a positive light, but just this little complaint makes me second guess them. Get the guy out on the road and have him ride your billboard. He's not asking for VIP access at races or a race kit, he's just asking for a piece to make his bike rideable. Selling a fork for $600 is much easier than dealing with the PR nightmare of having someone killing themselves riding one of your bikes with a shit fork.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply

Prev Next