Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Sad day for France...
Quote | Reply
http://www.msnbc.com/news/883853.asp?cp1=1

french fries are now called freedom fries
french toasts are now called freedom toasts...

I guess no french really care: french fries are from Belgium and french toasts are called "pain perdu"
(lost bread literally) in France...
Quote Reply
Re: Sad day for France... [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was a great commentary on NPR last night about this. The gist of it was that this absurd gesture is probably doing the French a favor and that by an large would be a welcome renaming. If the goal were to piss off the French people, that would most likely be better accomplished by naming "French" as much crap frozen and fast food as possible. Funny thing though, I didn't know the term "hot dog" was born the same way as a political renaming of a frankfurter.
Quote Reply
what about freedom kiss?.... nm [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually I assumed that neither of those actually came from France. You French are thought to have better culinary tastes than that.

Renaming the fries and toast is no big deal. Pouring French wine down the sewer in political protest is a terrible waste. If they don't want the wine just send it to me.
Quote Reply
Re: what about freedom kiss?.... nm [richard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha! That's a good one. Thanks for my morning chuckle.
Quote Reply
Re: Sad day for France... [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure if it was the same commentary but there is a similar one on slate.com. I'm especially fond of "freedom tickler".

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
like calling cheezwiz french cheese...that would piss me off considering I am sure CW is not even made with milk :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Sad day for France... [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am half french half aussie and like neither wine nor beer...I guess that is why neither France or Oz wanted to keep me and they send me to the US with all my bad tastes :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
France has always been, and as far as this man is concerned, will always be a trusted friend and honored, valuable allie. They gave us the Statue of Liberty, IMHO our most beautiful national monument that truly typifies the American dream and spirit. To me, French Fries are still French Fries. Jacques Chirac is a brave man and I salute his honor and integrity and conviction to his beliefs. "I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it..." Who knows, four weeks from now history may remember Chirac as a great peacemaker, or a fool. He takes great risks. Admire his spirit. Admire his love of peace. Whatever the outcome of this affair, hope to your core it is the just one for humanity.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Sad day for France... [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And remember, without France, we are all going to be soooooo bored during july :-))
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
French Cheese it is!!

I do enjoy a platter of French Rinds, smothered in French Cheese served with a tall glass of French-Dog 20/20 wine.

Mmmmm thats living! The French do know the finer things! ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK Pooks, WE are at War now!@!! :-)))
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
freedom kissing

sounds like a very liberating exercise.
Maybe I'll try that instead of my weekly yoga class.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
May I suggest Freedom Menage for menage-a-trois?

-
[pink]I don’t use pink font[/pink]
Quote Reply
Re: what about freedom kiss?.... nm [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
manage freedom, isn't that what they are doing in the white house all week long?
A recent study showed that the french where the sexually most active country in the world. The US doesn't show up on that list untill about 15th or something like that.
So they should take frances advises seriously in Washington.
Quote Reply
Re: what about freedom kiss?.... nm [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
actually, this one is quite adequate :-)

hey freedom instead of et voila!
freedom wine instead of champagne wine

now the problem is for: Baton-rouge, Detroit, Paris, etc...
if Mexico follows France then we'll have to change all the hispanic names too...

The anges, Saint Frank, The Pass, The Crosses...
Quote Reply
and thanks to the French even... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
artistic ice skating was fun during the Olympic games!!
Quote Reply
Re: Sad day for France... [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Research the statue and see who really paid for it!
Quote Reply
See who is responsible for the 50 states not just [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
being a big extension of Quebec...........if memory serves me right if it were for the Gaules, you'd all have a monarch :)

Ok, a little extreme but none the less sort of ironic that there is a need to put as much distance between the "Americans" and the "French" and yet historically the French are probably the US's oldest allies.........
Quote Reply
Re: Sad day for France... [denewone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok, americans have done lots of things, but they didn't pay for the statue.
it was sculpted by Frederic Auguste Barholdi in Isere, then finished in the US (inauguration around 1896 I believe).
the French paid for the statue itself (fund raising)
and the Americans paid for the granit it stands on.
Total cost was $800,000 of the time (including shipping :-) ) of which $600,000 was from France and the rest from the US.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm from French ancestry. Spell my daughters name with a french spelling . I didn't mean anything neg. I have just read several places a different account . Can't remember where. I do remember what but will not say since I can't name the source. I have always wanted to go to France and I'm getting coached but this very generous guy with a French name!
I do have some French Army jokes!!!!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: See who is responsible for the 50 states not just [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good point: without us, you'd all be Pohms like the Aussies :-)

(for the non aussies pohm is what the aussies call the brits and it stands for prisoner of her majesty)
Quote Reply
Re: Sad day for France... [denewone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please no french army jokes...I was among the last generation to go to the compulsory military service...
I have seen enough there...
We had a lieutenant who kept telling that our room of 8 should be symmetric...he was screaming that all the time...one day, I asked: symmetric with respect to what (too much math I guess)...that was the start of my troubles...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
148,000 Americans died on French soil during WWI and WWII. The debt has been paid.
Quote Reply
Re: Sad day for France... [alan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that was not the point actually...the statue was something to celebrate friendship between our two countries.
besides, that puts one life at $4...that's not much.
Quote Reply

Prev Next