Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: ST 100/100 Run Challenge 2020 edition = 200/200? [TriStart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriStart wrote:
I continued running after 100/100 with the goal being a runstreak, so at least 1 mile a day

I'm not a fan of the one-mile-per-day minimum for run streaks ... you just barely get through the part that sucks when you can say that you're done for the day, and don't get to experience that magic that comes further down the road

https://vitals.lifehacker.com/...it-go-1752457839/amp

That's why I prefer the 3 miles/30 minutes that the 100/100 requires, and use that as my benchmark as well

YMMV - literally

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: ST 100/100 Run Challenge 2020 edition = 200/200? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Jgill wrote:
That was my point. My training schedule has me do a few long runs and I only get one run each time. So to do my training schedule and the run challenge, I would have to do more runs with the 1 hour separations.

You're still not getting it

3 miles is the minimum distance to count as a run, but not the ONLY distance you may run

Did the rules change? I always thought the minimum was 30 minutes?

I'd be in for 3 miles. Not in for 30 minutes.
Quote Reply
Re: ST 100/100 Run Challenge 2020 edition = 200/200? [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:

It was changed to 3 miles OR 30 minutes with the 2019-2020 edition

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...nge_Thread_P7087515/

It also started/finished 2 weeks earlier than previous editions

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
B.McMaster wrote:

It was changed to 3 miles OR 30 minutes with the 2019-2020 edition

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...nge_Thread_P7087515/

It also started/finished 2 weeks earlier than previous editions

I read that to mean over 2 days you had to total an hour so you couldn’t do 3 miles every day.
Quote Reply
Re: ST 100/100 Run Challenge 2020 edition = 200/200? [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
I read that to mean over 2 days you had to total an hour so you couldn’t do 3 miles every day.

That probably could have been worded a little clearer. But, the intent of rule 1 is that 3 miles is equivalent to 30 minutes. So, if you run 3 miles it counts as "a run"....regardless of the time. You can do that multiple times a day with a 60min break, and you can do that every day.

Rules 11 and 12 only apply if your run pace is slower than 10mpm such that you haven't run 3 miles in 30minutes. In that case you revert to the time based formula that you reference. There is no similar distance based exception....eg, 2 miles + 1 mile doesn't count. So, if you run 2mi in 15 minutes, you still need to makeup 15 minutes...not just the 1 mile.
Quote Reply
Re: ST 100/100 Run Challenge 2020 edition = 200/200? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ST 100/100...Confusion over the rules....detailed responses....asking for modifications...complaints about the effort...Dev exasperated at us for not understanding the philosophy...WOW, are things really getting back to normal in 2020!!!
Quote Reply
Re: ST 100/100 Run Challenge 2020 edition = 200/200? [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vonschnapps wrote:
ST 100/100...Confusion over the rules....detailed responses....asking for modifications...complaints about the effort...Dev exasperated at us for not understanding the philosophy...WOW, are things really getting back to normal in 2020!!!

lmao. Yeah..I suppose.
Quote Reply
Re: ST 100/100 Run Challenge 2020 edition = 200/200? [Jgill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Several of us had this exact conversation at the start of last year's challenge.

I think you can make the 100/100 be whatever you want it to be---if your goal is a run focus. If someone's goal is a swim or bike focus....then the 100/100 is probably not a good idea. Sure the big K is another framework---that is somewhat similar. But, its not limited to running, and it runs all year....not, just 100 days.

Sure, there's the rulz....which is fine. But, its just a framework to encourage frequency---because, frequency is a safer way to add run volume vs. just running longer. I've only done the 100/100 twice, but I got wrapped up in the number of runs the first year. That was ok, because that's what I needed that first year. I came out of that challenge as a changed runner. I was (and am) bullet-proof on the run---I have two decades of prior run-injury proneness.

I proved that bullet-proof-ness over the last 3 months ramping from 30mpw to 90mpw in a matter of 4 weeks and holding that volume for the last two months. That was risky, and it was not without some need for planning, and management. But, man...I can just run and run and run....without much regard for anything.

Last year, my plan was to use it as a framework to fit my training plan into without compromising the plan---ie, splitting runs just for "credit". I was using it to get "extra" doubles in...but, only after doing the planned run for the day. I didn't split a 10 miler into 2 or 3 runs...as I don't think 3+3+4 is the same stimulus as 10. But, 10+4 is better than 10 (assuming you can recover and do the plan tomorrow). Sure you won't "win" the challenge that way (not as long as Bluestacks keeps playing). But, its a challenge, not a competition...anyway.

My goal for last year was to make doubles a regular part of my training, and get to an average of 60mpw. I didn't get there in the formal challenge for reasons discussed elsewhere. But, I did this summer....averaging 12 runs (2x M-F, 1x Sa and Su) and 90mpw.

So....do what you want....but, there's more than one way to approach the 100/100. As I said before, I'm as guilty as anyone of chasing the carrot. But, you can decide to chase a radish, if you choose.

:-)
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Aug 25, 20 15:44
Quote Reply
Re: ST 100/100 Run Challenge 2020 edition = 200/200? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
vonschnapps wrote:

lmao. Yeah..I suppose.

hahahaha

I love normalcy-even if only in bits and pieces.....

carry on
Last edited by: dtoce: Aug 25, 20 15:54
Quote Reply
Re: ST 100/100 Run Challenge 2020 edition = 200/200? [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dtoce wrote:

hahahaha

I love normalcy-even if only in bits and pieces.....

carry on

Only in small doses. And I'm sure we will have more relapses than Liz Taylor had husbands.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
TriStart wrote:
I continued running after 100/100 with the goal being a runstreak, so at least 1 mile a day

I'm not a fan of the one-mile-per-day minimum for run streaks ... you just barely get through the part that sucks when you can say that you're done for the day, and don't get to experience that magic that comes further down the road

https://vitals.lifehacker.com/...it-go-1752457839/amp

That's why I prefer the 3 miles/30 minutes that the 100/100 requires, and use that as my benchmark as well

That's what I always did before, but this covid/year I've been doing a runstreak with my 9 year old son (today was 93!), and that 1 mile is great to keep him (and me) active and doing at least a little something every day. We'll usually work in a couple of 3 milers during the week and then a 5-6 on Saurday.

I've gained new respect for the 1-mile minimum.
Quote Reply
Re: ST 100/100 Run Challenge 2020 edition = 200/200? [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vonschnapps wrote:

Haha....now we need a discussion on what the bare minimum run is if you use Alpha Fly's and if Kipchoge has to do at least 2.5 x 3 miles in 30 minutes (roughly his half marathon pace) to qualify as a single run, or if we let him off the hook with a 12.5 minute 3 mile minimum run.

The even crazier thing in terms of getting back to normal is the Esprit Full and Half IM on the Formula 1 track in Montreal is on in 2.5 weeks. It's almost feeling "like normal" haha.
Quote Reply
Re: ST 100/100 Run Challenge 2020 edition = 200/200? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev, is there a targeted start date set for 100/100 2020? This way those of us ST'ers who want to do a 200/200 can start exactly 100 Days prior.
Quote Reply
Re: ST 100/100 Run Challenge 2020 edition = 200/200? [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
Dev, is there a targeted start date set for 100/100 2020? This way those of us ST'ers who want to do a 200/200 can start exactly 100 Days prior.

Is there going to be a separate "Airing of Grievances" for the 200/200? Or does this thread count as one?

Gotta follow protocol and everything, right?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
BT_DreamChaser wrote:

Is there going to be a separate "Airing of Grievances" for the 200/200? Or does this thread count as one?

My feet are already tired from running all damn summer....WAAAAAAAAaaaaaa!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I said "Airing of Grievances" not "Cry Like a Little Biatch"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
BT_DreamChaser wrote:

Well, apparently this thread has turned into grievances for the 100/100 in general. Surprise/ Surprise. But once we get a start date on the 2020 100/100 and choose an appropriate start date for the 200/200 ... yeah, then we can whine, cry, air grievances, and maybe try to say some positive things and motivate one another. The goal is to end this diarrhea blizzard shit-storm of a year on a positive note and go into 2021 stronger/ faster/ leaner than ever!! :-) Hence, the 200/200.
Quote Reply
Re: ST 100/100 Run Challenge 2020 edition = 200/200? [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
Surprise/ Surprise

Good form, there

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
potato potahtoe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good point

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
potato potahtoe

edited for you:

potato/potahtoe
Quote Reply
Re: ST 100/100 Run Challenge 2020 edition = 200/200? [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dtoce wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:
potato potahtoe

edited for you:

po-tay-to/po-tah-to

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only on ST, do you get multiple layers of FIFY on a smart-assed remark.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My grievance is that I can barely get a 1 hrs swim slot for the next 100 days of wanting to do an Ironman length swim per day due to pool time limitation. So I have to settle for roughly 2500-3000m per day depending on what time out of my 1 hrs slot I actually get into the water after the convoluted check in process. I am kind of hoping to swim 400km more before end of year before getting too focused on running again. My grievance is that my training log almost looks like a triathlete again....my annual hours of run and bike are identical and swimming is barely 60% of those two!!! OK a real triathlete's training log would be 80% biking indoors to ensure bike handling is as bad as possible coming out ot T1 on race day, 25% running on spring board shoes on Woodway treadmill with every electronic gadget and internet connection possible wearing compression shorts and obligatory Mdot clothing and taking selfies to put on instagram after leaving treadmill running at 9 mph for 30 min before they get on it so the numbers look better, and 5% swim with floaty shorts a pull buoy and paddles and a snorkel wearing electronics on the wrist the size of an iPad and spending more time pressing buttons at the end of each length than actually swimming (did I cover it all off yet????) !
Quote Reply
Re: ST 100/100 Run Challenge 2020 edition = 200/200? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HEY! You leave floatie pants out of this!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next