Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Rohan Dennis beaten in a time trial
Quote | Reply
So Rohan Dennis was beaten yesterday in the Australian National Championships by Luke Durbridge. Turbo Durbo is an excellent rider and has won the tt crown before, but you would not generally put him in the category of the ultra elite tt riders such as Dennis, Domoulin, Froome, Martin and so on.
It was Dennis' first race in the rainbow tt jersey, and with his new team and with new equipment and a new bike.
I was among the six or so people watching the race, and from the patchy coverage he was basically behind from the first split and lost in the end by 21 seconds.
In terms of equipment he was riding the Merida Time Warp 2, Fulcrum Rear Disc, some kind of deep front (no stickers), the Rudy Project Wingspan helmet and a skinsuit by Sportful. After the race, after noting he was beaten by the better man, he noted:
“Look, the legs are there. the power was good. As good as any other year, if not just a little bit better,” explained Dennis. “So, it’s just about finding out why I didn’t go as quick now and fixing it for the next race. It’s all about trying to figure out how to go a little bit quicker with the equipment that I’ve got.”
Quote Reply
Re: Rohan Dennis beaten in a time trial [toecutter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It will certainly be interesting to follow how he finds 30 (ore 60) seconds he had with his old equipment ..

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rudy strikes again!

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Rohan Dennis beaten in a time trial [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
Rudy strikes again!

I was about to say. I bet the helmet counted for most of the difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting. Sponsored pros can definitely pay a penalty. Hopefully he can get in the tunnel and figure something out. I think it would be worth it for Rudy to come out with a helmet that works for him.

Plus, I suspect the ugly looking helmet that Durbridge was wearing is very good....

Quote Reply
Re: Rohan Dennis beaten in a time trial [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting result all round.
I have always really rated Luke Durbridge, he has had a bad run with injuries etc but has been previous National Champion and shown before what he is capable of. Could be an interesting year ahead again for the MS pro team.
Great racing ahead. Bring on the TDU!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And poor Meyer predictably gets third.
Quote Reply
Re: Rohan Dennis beaten in a time trial [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How are you guys watching?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the pictures

Looks like upper half of arms and top of torso show some different texture.... boundary layer management ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also see a McLaren logo

Apparantly McLaren will give some hand (probably wind tunnel) and the team will become Barhain McLaren in 2020.

What the fuck McLaren doing in cycling and TdF. I understand Motorsport (evident reasons) or Polo or Golf (money, money....). But cycling ?

Are they going to engineer and sell bikes ?
Excessively expensive and very aero bikes ?
With ceramic disk brakes ?
And a new version of F-Duct to stall the boundary layer near your ass ?
Quote Reply
Re: Rohan Dennis beaten in a time trial [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
Also see a McLaren logo

Apparantly McLaren will give some hand (probably wind tunnel) and the team will become Barhain McLaren in 2020.

What the fuck McLaren doing in cycling and TdF. I understand Motorsport (evident reasons) or Polo or Golf (money, money....). But cycling ?

McLaren are a UK based team (just outside London.)
Do you know how many investment bankers spend their free time riding $10,000 bikes in the UK

(answer, a lot.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
Also see a McLaren logo

You're a few years behind the times. The McLaren Venge was out-of-this-world expensive when launched. Except not that aero compared to the competition.

I hope the McLaren partnership will allow them to dump that Rudy helmet. Going from the Giro Aerohead, where Dennis was the test-mule during development, to the Rudy must be insulting. The Merida Warp doesn't seem to be on the same level as the BMC, either.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
Also see a McLaren logo

Have a look at McLaren Applied Technology, their mission is basically applying cutting edge technology in a number of areas including sport. They've previously worked with Britain's summer and winter Olympic teams in sports like rowing, sailing and bobsled, and they've been involved in cycling for quite a few years. They've already helped to engineer and sell bikes - they partnered with Specialized to develop the Venge back in 2011 and there was a McLaren Venge edition. There's a lot of crossover with the automotive division if you think about it - they've got a lot of expertise on wind tunnels, advanced composites, CAD, etc.

There's also quite a cycling culture at the company. A friend of mine cycles to work very near their UK headquarters. He regularly bumps into groups of McLaren employees out on their bikes (typically very high end bikes, certainly a few years ago they were nearly all on Venges).
Quote Reply
Re: Rohan Dennis beaten in a time trial [tuckandgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tuckandgo wrote:
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
Also see a McLaren logo

Do you know how many investment bankers spend their free time riding $10,000 bikes in the UK

(answer, a lot.)

I know McLaren, their site, and most of the other F1 outfits near London / Swindon / Birmingham

I know bankers (and other rich peoples) like McLaren (mostly cars, however). And I drove several McLaren (road cars / GT cars) on track, so I know them a bit too.

I know many peoples (not only triathletes, and not only investment bankers) can spend 12000€ / 14000USD in bikes... Pinnarello, Colnago, Cippolini, Time, Look, Cervelo, S-Works Spe, .... and other cheapest brand going occasionally pricey :-)

But McLaren is not selling bikes, yet. Just getting marginal partnerships...

There were a series of investments, many brands bought recently, the more significant probably being Pinarello bought by LVMH (Louis Vuitton Moet Hennessy - Luxury & Luxury, in short).

So.... I was wandering if appart putting a small sticker on some pricey bikes.... McLaren will also invest REALLY in bike production, as, yes, they could make money from it. Most rich / semi-rich / not rich but with ego issues / people getting desperate to put big money on something flashy....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
tuckandgo wrote:
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
Also see a McLaren logo

(answer, a lot.)

I know McLaren, their site, and most of the other F1 outfits near London / Swindon / Birmingham

I know bankers (and other rich peoples) like McLaren (mostly cars, however). And I drove several McLaren (road cars / GT cars) on track, so I know them a bit too.

I know many peoples (not only triathletes, and not only investment bankers) can spend 12000€ / 14000USD in bikes... Pinnarello, Colnago, Cippolini, Time, Look, Cervelo, S-Works Spe, .... and other cheapest brand going occasionally pricey :-)

But McLaren is not selling bikes, yet. Just getting marginal partnerships...

There were a series of investments, many brands bought recently, the more significant probably being Pinarello bought by LVMH (Louis Vuitton Moet Hennessy - Luxury & Luxury, in short).

So.... I was wandering if appart putting a small sticker on some pricey bikes.... McLaren will also invest REALLY in bike production, as, yes, they could make money from it. Most rich / semi-rich / not rich but with ego issues / people getting desperate to put big money on something flashy....

Possibly they will.

I'm just round the corner from them and have a few friends that work there. They do quite a lot of stuff leveraging their F1 engineering knowledge and commensurate experience (data science etc) in other areas that isn't widely publicised. e.g. https://www.mclaren.com/...dy-mclaren-deloitte/
Quote Reply
Re: Rohan Dennis beaten in a time trial [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tessar wrote:
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
Also see a McLaren logo

You're a few years behind the times. The McLaren Venge was out-of-this-world expensive when launched. Except not that aero compared to the competition.

I hope the McLaren partnership will allow them to dump that Rudy helmet. Going from the Giro Aerohead, where Dennis was the test-mule during development, to the Rudy must be insulting. The Merida Warp doesn't seem to be on the same level as the BMC, either.

I'm well aware of the old McLaren Venge, for years...
And I know McLaren is partnering (on aero / carbon mostly) with different brand for years...

So I'm not surprised they partner again....

The INTERESTING point you are apparantly missing : apparently the team will be called "Barhain - McLaren" in 2020
Wich is very different level of investment than their usual "aero / carbon bullshit usual partnerships" such as the McLaren Venge.

It could "possibly" mean they are going farther than their usual branding partnership, putting a sticker on a high end bike, or whatever stupid carbon device.

Willing to get their own bike (like the Lotus 108 or 110) ?
Partnership with British Cycling for 2020 olympics ? (like Lotus in 1995 for track)
Get a full luxury range of bike ? (not a sticker on pricey useless Specialized or Merida bike)
Last edited by: Pyrenean Wolf: Jan 9, 19 2:15
Quote Reply
Re: Rohan Dennis beaten in a time trial [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello,

yes, I'm aware of this quite prolific side of their business.

But I was wandering if becoming title sponsor in 2020 was the sign of more.
More than their usual partnership, technology (aero, carbon, ...) and marketing (putting a sticker and showing some nice pictures of the "co-engineered product" aside a very phallic McLaren F1 - preferably not one with a Honda engine :-)

Are they planning a real shot to the bike industry ? Creating a bike brand, or buying and re-naming an existing brand ?

OK.... probably no one is going to answer "Yes, this is secret, but here are the first pictures in wind tunnel of some bike..."

This is not business rocket science however. If LVMH is buying Pinarello, as they only purchase luxury brand to make them more profitable, it is because there is potential to sell extra pricey bikes in good numbers. At least it was the plan. LVMH business model is simple (same for Kering) : you buy a luxury brand, a bit down the slope, or "under used" and move up the hype and visibility to sell products at 90% gross margin. And.... it works.

Is the bike market identified as getting a growing "Luxury high-end" segment, with potential to sell gobs of super pricey bullshit bikes to mostly ignoring customers ?
Was the chinese market the target... you know, lot of peoples there with big (or not) money willing to be nice consumer and get luxury product... ? And this vision disappearing with bad economic news in China ?
Was Pinarello under-performing ?
Where are the plans and only carbon pieces made of the Lotus 112 ?
Last edited by: Pyrenean Wolf: Jan 9, 19 2:59
Quote Reply
Re: Rohan Dennis beaten in a time trial [tuckandgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Cool, you can be our insider :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Other thing to bear in mind is that the sovereign wealth fund of Bahrain has a majority shareholding in McLaren. I imagine that's a pretty significant reason behind the decision to sponsor a Bahrain-based team...
Quote Reply
Re: Rohan Dennis beaten in a time trial [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
And poor Meyer predictably gets third.
That road race result was the lol of the year so far.
Quote Reply
Re: Rohan Dennis beaten in a time trial [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep
If it is the only reason, I hope (for other shareholders) they get a good discount to move title sponsor in 2020
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
Also see a McLaren logo

McLaren is majority owned by Mumtalakat - the sovereign wealth fund of the Kingdom of Bahrain. The Bahrain-Merida team is owned by... Bahrain. It's not McLaren investing in cycling so much as it is the Bahrainis spreading their money around and co-mingling their brands.
Quote Reply
Re: Rohan Dennis beaten in a time trial [Bdaghisallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, very much possible (as said above)
and

"If it is the only reason, I hope (for other shareholders) they get a good discount to move title sponsor in 2020"
Quote Reply
Re: Rohan Dennis beaten in a time trial [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
hadukla wrote:
Rudy strikes again!

I was about to say. I bet the helmet counted for most of the difference.

Heath and I were talking about that yesterday.

I sure hope the sponsorship dollars offset the benefits of winning and that Rudy offsets the prize money difference between 1st & 2nd.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Rohan Dennis beaten in a time trial [Bdaghisallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McLaren is now a 50% partner within the team. I read that in an article talking about Nibali's contract for 2020, and how since McLaren is a 50% stakeholder/partner (I can't recall the term the used), they would now be at the table for the negotiations.
Quote Reply

Prev Next