Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Rappstar's viewpoint on Lance in IM? [triDVM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some folks have chimed in:

“Lance's involvement at perhaps the toughest one-day event in all of sport sheds light on what surviving cancer can mean to millions around the world,” said Scott Tinley, two-time Ironman World Champion and Ironman Hall of Fame Inductee. “I remember Lance as a determined kid who channeled that competitive spirit into an amazing career as a cyclist, survivor and advocate for survivors of a horrible disease. A partnership between LIVESTRONG and Ironman will further improve the lives of people affected by cancer. People need to realize that Lance’s foundation represents the use of sport to improve our world. There are only positive things that can come from having Lance join the Ironman family.”

"It is exciting to see Lance Armstrong, one of the greatest-ever endurance athletes, coming back to race triathlons in 2012," said Craig Alexander, three-time Ironman World Champion and two-time Ironman 70.3 World Champion.

“Lance is an exceptional athlete; he’s the type of person who wants to excel and be the best at whatever he puts his mind to,” said Chris Lieto, multiple Ironman and Ironman 70.3 champion. “I’m excited to see how his participation in our sport will draw attention to what it takes to be a triathlete and how challenging it can be. It will definitely bring triathlon more into the mainstream and I know pro athletes, including myself, will look forward to racing with him at future events.”
Originally from: http://ironman.com/...-affec#ixzz1lvMaW2g9

triDVM wrote:
Well, I'd love to hear from Chris Lieto, Craig Alexander, Chrissie Wellington, Chris McCormick, Mark Allen, Dave Scott and a host of others but none seem to post on ST as frequently as Ironman Champion Jordan Rapp. What say we start with whom we have access/a shot at getting some thoughts from? I'm sure Dan and Jordan will weigh in on this at some time.
Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar's viewpoint on Lance in IM? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"...The suck of that armada will be worth 10 minutes, and my advice to anyone around at that critical moment, is you better go with it. Otherwise you will be doing your 10 meter dance behind Faris the entire day without so much as an iphone watching you. "

Thanks Monty....best analysis yet!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar's viewpoint on Lance in IM? [CSU_Prof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Notice Lieto is no longer talking smack on LA like he was last year at the Texas 70.3 pro forum.... Come to Texas and talk smack on LA? Better get ready to go sub 2hrs on that bike split Chris....
Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar's viewpoint on Lance in IM? [good4nuthin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good4nuthin wrote:
Notice Lieto is no longer talking smack on LA like he was last year at the Texas 70.3 pro forum.... Come to Texas and talk smack on LA? Better get ready to go sub 2hrs on that bike split Chris....

Actually this is THE BEST THING that ever happened to Lieto.

Look at Monty's analysis. He does not talk about the group 10m behind Lieto following nothing but an iPhone...Lieto will be in the Lance Vortex group. He may be the only other guy in the Lance group. Lance is Lieto's biggest ally now. Crowie and crew should be worried.

Sorry if I did not read the other 10,000 Lance posts on ST as I have not been on here much in the last 3 days and if this was already mentioned 9999 times.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
John Howard is his race strategist.
Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar's viewpoint on Lance in IM? [Sasquatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe 30 years later we'll have a repeat of the John Howard miracle bike split (was it 4:28 with no aero doo dads other than the biggest aero doo dad you could get outside of your bike?)
Quote Reply
Post deleted by good4nuthin [ In reply to ]
Re: Rappstar's viewpoint on Lance in IM? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
good4nuthin wrote:

Actually this is THE BEST THING that ever happened to Lieto.

Look at Monty's analysis. He does not talk about the group 10m behind Lieto following nothing but an iPhone...Lieto will be in the Lance Vortex group. He may be the only other guy in the Lance group. Lance is Lieto's biggest ally now. Crowie and crew should be worried.

Sorry if I did not read the other 10,000 Lance posts on ST as I have not been on here much in the last 3 days and if this was already mentioned 9999 times.

Dev
True, but that "bike domination" ego from which he has built his career has to feel the challenge coming....no one would want to be demoted to the second best cyclist in triathlon...

I personally cannot wait to see them come by on the way back... I think that was by far (TX 70.3) Lieto's best race last year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I was talking to dan the other day, and i proposed that in hawaii it would be a great stragedy for lance to just go off the front..Now this has not been a great help to most who have tried it, but every once in awhile it works.."

Great analysis Monty! I mean just think of the value to Trek, Oakley, Giro ,etc of all that camera time on Lance as he breaks from the field on the bike. Go for a bike split record? Unbelieveable PR move.

--------------------------------------------------------
John Behme
Charlotte, NC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What happens if with all this excitement on this site about Lance..."IF" USADA continues its case and finds Lance did dope or other things implied in NPR"s report of a lot of evidence.? ..Will evryone jump off the bandwagon? Will it matter? If Lance is implicated officially will the Tri Pro's not want him around? . Think this would be a legitamate concern since wada and usada are continuing an investigation.
Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar's viewpoint on Lance in IM? [jbnc77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
will Panama 70.3 be online streaming or available anywhere else online?

http://www.ironmanglib.com
Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar's viewpoint on Lance in IM? [tri dpt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Every pro triathlete is thanking their lucky stars and calling their financial planner now that Armstrong is racing triathlon. It doesn't matter if he wins or not, as long as he is competitive the money will be flowing into the sport.

The easy money would be for Armstrong to consistently have the fastest bike splits. He won 7 Tours. His ego won't allow him to not finish on top on the bike. He may blow himself up for the run but if he sets a blistering pace, that pressure is also being applied to his competitors.
Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar's viewpoint on Lance in IM? [Sasquatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) Great For the sport, the sport will explode 10 fold
2) suck to be a pro, the Cameras will all be on Lance, so no chance for the pro's to promote their sponsors,
3) it will bring drug and a dark cloud on our sport,
4) Michael Phelp will pace Lance in the water, Alberto Salazar will be the run pacers,
5) NBC 2 hour show will be about Lance Life before and after cancer, 10 minutes about IM,
6) Zack, and Hellrigell make a come back, Contador is there nutritionist.

and the world will end after IM Hawaii when the volcano explode, based on the Mayan calendar
Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar's viewpoint on Lance in IM? [jbnc77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great analysis Monty! I mean just think of the value to Trek, Oakley, Giro ,etc of all that camera time on Lance as he breaks from the field on the bike. Go for a bike split record? Unbelieveable PR move. //

Lance is not going to do anything just as a PR move, at least not on the race course. However if his race plan just happens to be the same thing, then why the hell not. He is a very competitive guy and is not going to race just to be 1st to T2 and then blow. IT may be what happens, pretty much has happened to every pro that has ever raced at one time or another, but make no mistake, he will race to have his best race..I just pointed out that it may be in his best interest to hammer the 1st 20 of the bike, so as to make sure any 2nd pack swimmers do not glom on, and thus he takes his photog armada out of their reach. Everyone talks about Leito going with, but his biggest challenge will be to swim with Lance. Barring that, he pulls the peleton once again, taking turns with Faris now and then. THat is what i would advise him to do, then once clear you can settle in for your normal pace, He is quite used to speed changes in a race situation, and this should not hinder him too much.

The only wild card i see with this stragedy is how does he handle the heat for a long triathlon? He does pretty good in bike races, but once you start running, i don't believe it is the same thing. Only doing hawaii tells you about that too, a long history of great triathletes found that out the hard way..
Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar's viewpoint on Lance in IM? [CSU_Prof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find this thread amusing as where are on page 2 and yet no "Rappstar's viewpoint"
Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar's viewpoint on Lance in IM? [Runguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He is out working on his swim so that he can hang with the lead group in hawaii..(-;
Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar's viewpoint on Lance in IM? [BBB1975] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
he won 7 tours with 8 others guy's pulling him, 99% of the time, yes he is a great cyclist, but can he time trial 112 miles, then run a 2:45 marathon, at the age of 40+ only Dave scott can answer that question
Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar's viewpoint on Lance in IM? [ian moone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
he won 7 tours with 8 others guy's pulling him, 99% of the time,//

First of all no one is pulling anyone, they are breaking wind. And it was not 8 other guys, but 188 other guys..And everyone sits on for most of the race, but for that 1% of the time they don't, no one was faster than Lance, that is why he won. Go to the ITT's or the finish of the mountain top climbs, that is where the tough guys earn their pay. Do you think doing the tour is easy because of drafting?? Winning it 7 times even easier??
Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar's viewpoint on Lance in IM? [ian moone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes he is a great cyclist

People forget, or weren't born yet, that back in the day LA was a world class triathlete. Granted, the "world" was a bit smaller then in terms of tri, but he raced with and was capable of beating Allen/Scott/Tinley/Molina/Pigg at the shorter distances at the age of 16 and 17...

How will he do now? Probably very damn well, thank you. In spite of all of the allegations and accusations surrounding him, one has to admit he has one huge aerobic engine. Monty's analysis of what an Armstrong IM might look like is very much spot on...we know he can swim, and yes he can bike...he's also a decent enough runner, but the question will be decent enough to win, or at least compete admirably, against today's best?

Not too sure I would be the farm against him, however...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i never said riding was easy, i never said Lance wasn't the best, relax it is just a forum, that you manage, don't want people opinion dont have the forum
112 miles at IM is not the same has been in the Peloton, and you don't have to run after,
yes i have ridden around France, including all the TDF stages, solo, i also crossed Asia solo with 40 pounds of luggage on my MTB, and yes i have done ironman including Hawaii

please explain the difference between Pulling Drafting and Breaking wind
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think this is disappointing. Lance could have had his own Half and Long Course races without WTC. IMHO he was the only one that could have made this happen and it would have allowed the costs to maybe level off for this sport. But now the cost will continue to go up. Shameful.....he sold out.
Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar's viewpoint on Lance in IM? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
"...The suck of that armada will be worth 10 minutes, and my advice to anyone around at that critical moment, is you better go with it. Otherwise you will be doing your 10 meter dance behind Faris the entire day without so much as an iphone watching you. "

______

sorry, I'm still with MACCA; if Chrissie was racing, he's chicked.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar's viewpoint on Lance in IM? [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

______

sorry, I'm still with MACCA; if Chrissie was racing, he's chicked.[/quote

Holy crap. What if LA paid Chrissie a ton of $ and THAT'S why she's not racing!!!!!!!!

Rather than look back and say "why?", look forward and say "why not?!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
he won 7 tours with 8 others guy's pulling him, 99% of the time,//

no one was faster than Lance, that is why he won.

No, doping is why he won, the same reason all of the other top finishers won and are now on the way down. Assuming USADA drops a drug suspension on him, I hope WTC complies.

For the sake of argument he doesnt get a ban, when I talked to Crowie about this topic at CES he already knew Lance was coming, or at least was 99% convinced because Lance's team had reached out to Crowie's for advice. Crowie didn't give him any, but it did seem like while he was talking up what Lance would do for the sport, he really didn't seem particularly thrilled to race him. I mean, who wants another top level competitor to steal you spotlight, and potentially take money out of your pocket?

Oh, and I don't think this means more money for the pro's I think it means less, unless they can beat Lance. Everyone behind Lance is going to be an also ran for sponsorships for the next couple years. They should all be glad he's back at 40 instead of coming back when he first thought about it right after retiring from biking. I think he does 2 maybe 3 years max at pro and then Comeback 3.0 is done.

-------------------------------------
You don't have to like what I say but you should respect my right to say them and I'll do the same to you.
Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar's viewpoint on Lance in IM? [camaleon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
camaleon wrote:
Rapp is going to get LANCED soon...

Or is Lance going to get---

Nevermind. Not gonna finish that one.

#cureMS
Quote Reply

Prev Next