Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: QFT: Paulo Sousa on Swimming [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kdw wrote:
anyone that has been reading smartasscoach for years, you do not sound like Paulo.....So I believes you

No way Paulo would have taken 2 tries to spell Authority properly.

Love him or hate him at least Paulo actually didn't make his comments anonymously. But he's the Authority, so we just have to take his word for it........

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: QFT: Paulo Sousa on Swimming [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kdw wrote:

Oops. Sorry Paulo - my bad. I just never saw them post to the same thread at precisely the same time.

r.b.

Bringing you Tweets @ http://twitter.com/findfreestyle and Not just a bunch of drills - A Process.
Quote Reply
Re: QFT: Paulo Sousa on Swimming [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
STP wrote:
I don't have a dog in this fight but it is more than a little unfair to suggest that the ONLY criteria for judging how successful a coach or trainer is by how many elite athletes they coach and how successfull those elite athletes are. That criteria is only relevant if you are an elite athlete shopping for a coach.

I've spent alot of time around swimming and swim coaches and have even done some coaching myself. I will say that the elite coaches I know are rightly quite proud of what their elite swimmers have done, championships they've won, etc. But, to a man and woman, they also our quite proud of the lesser mortals they have somehow gotten to shine under their tutalage.

Plus, any decent coach would probably admit it is harder to get someone to drop from a 2:00 to 1:15 100 yd free than it is to get a highly talented but not fullly developed guy to drop from :47 to :45. The guy who goes :45 started out at 1:15 the first time he swam a 100 yd race at 9 years old, he shows up to train 11 times a week 45-50 weeks a year, goes years between missed practices and generally does exactly what you tell him to do pretty close to perfectly the first or second time you tell him. Coaching at that level is pretty easy in many respects. Its much more about being a counsolor, guide and phsycologist than a physio trainer.

Now, take the overweight lady who signs up for a 3 days a week program, misses practice occassionaly and generally has no clue how to swim or even what it really means to train, and eeking any improvement out of that is an accomplishment.

Are you really contending that it is easier to get from a 47 to a 45 in the 100yd free than it is to go from a 2:00 to a 1:15?

Not to be insulting, (but I will be anyway), but that is effing retarded.

Sorry to tell you this, but in most cases, when you first get started in a sport and "take it seriously" you see your biggest gains in the first few years. It is exponentially harder to get from fast (:47) to really fast (:45) to world class (:40-:43). Those are really big jumps and many people who had no problem dropping from a 2:00 to a :50 100yd free will NEVER even sniff at a :45. 2s doesn't sound like much, but when you're already swimming a 100yd free in 47, 2 seconds is a BIG freakind difference.

Do you also think it is easier to go from a 54 to a 53min 40k TT vs going from a 1:30 to a 1:20? How about a 17min to a 16min 5k vs a 30min to a 25min.

Jeesh...I started swimming in HS and granted I was a distance guy...but in my very first season I dropped from a 2:00 to at least a 1:15 in my 100yd free...7 years later of hard competitive swimming I wouldn't have even sniffed at a 45. But I wasn't a sprinter...sprinters are pansies. They prance around the pool deck all practice afraid to get wet. Then maybe they swim a couple 50's and go shower. Total wimps.

Quote | Reply
No. You missed all my qualifiers. I know exactly what it takes to get from 47 to 45. (Frankly, I know alot more about that than I do about how to get from 2:00 to 1:15)

What I said was that if you take a kid who is already going 47 and is not fully developed swimmingwise, it may very well be easier to get that kid to go 45. More importantly, getting those last 2 seconds is in many ways a different kind of coaching than getting from 2:00 to 1:15.
Quote Reply
Re: QFT: Paulo Sousa on Swimming [BeachboyWI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BeachboyWI wrote:
STP wrote:
I don't have a dog in this fight but it is more than a little unfair to suggest that the ONLY criteria for judging how successful a coach or trainer is by how many elite athletes they coach and how successfull those elite athletes are. That criteria is only relevant if you are an elite athlete shopping for a coach.

I've spent alot of time around swimming and swim coaches and have even done some coaching myself. I will say that the elite coaches I know are rightly quite proud of what their elite swimmers have done, championships they've won, etc. But, to a man and woman, they also our quite proud of the lesser mortals they have somehow gotten to shine under their tutalage.

Plus, any decent coach would probably admit it is harder to get someone to drop from a 2:00 to 1:15 100 yd free than it is to get a highly talented but not fullly developed guy to drop from :47 to :45. The guy who goes :45 started out at 1:15 the first time he swam a 100 yd race at 9 years old, he shows up to train 11 times a week 45-50 weeks a year, goes years between missed practices and generally does exactly what you tell him to do pretty close to perfectly the first or second time you tell him. Coaching at that level is pretty easy in many respects. Its much more about being a counsolor, guide and phsycologist than a physio trainer.

Now, take the overweight lady who signs up for a 3 days a week program, misses practice occassionaly and generally has no clue how to swim or even what it really means to train, and eeking any improvement out of that is an accomplishment.

Are you really contending that it is easier to get from a 47 to a 45 in the 100yd free than it is to go from a 2:00 to a 1:15?

Not to be insulting, (but I will be anyway), but that is effing retarded.

Thank you!!!
Quote Reply
Re: QFT: Paulo Sousa on Swimming [robertwb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robertwb wrote:
kdw wrote:

Oops. Sorry Paulo - my bad. I just never saw them post to the same thread at precisely the same time.

r.b.

Einstein showed that instantaneous events are not possible.
Quote Reply
Re: QFT: Paulo Sousa on Swimming [robertwb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robertwb wrote:

So, since you want to compare resumes, and you're NOT Paulo, then, who pray tell are you sir?

I am The Authority. Melting Pot and I have a lot in common.
Quote Reply
Re: QFT: Paulo Sousa on Swimming [The Authority] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Authority wrote:
The difference between you and coaches like Brett Sutton or Joel Filliol is that those guys work is evaluated solely on results. If their athletes don't get results at the highest level, they don't put food on the table. As for coaches like you (are you even a coach?) is that you have your philosophical views of what is swim coaching, but the bottom line is that if your clients don't get results, it's all the same to you, they already bought your snake oil. Look at that guy that posts here, caf0. He bought the oil and improved from 2:00/100 to 1:52/100. That isridculous!!! So... between listening to what Sutton or Flliol say or what you're saying, excuse me when I go with the opinion of people that actually know what they're talking about because they're out there doing it... everyday.

Let me get this straight. You think robertwb is selling snake oil (at the huge cost of $70)
because one example athlete he coached didn't get spectacular gains? I think you need to take
a second look. There are lots of happy FF customers (such as myself) who think this is one of
the best deals they've ever had. I can't speak to whether his opinion is better than some other
coach(s), but it isn't the uninformed shitty opinion that your implying.
Quote Reply
Re: QFT: Paulo Sousa on Swimming [noahman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noahman wrote:
Making an obvious point here but it's taken me a while to get it. Coming from a running background, the amount of over-distance training for swimming has astounded me. To use the quote above, if I swim 40K per week to race an oly 1.5K, then I'd be running 267K per week to race a 10K. Of course that's nuts, and training times & distances don't scale across sports like that. But since I only started swimming a year ago I fell for similar logic. As in, "I'm only swimming ~2100yd in a 70.3 so swimming 2500yd three times per week is more than enough..."

Except there are guys running more than 267k per week for the 10k. Cam Levins the Canadian xc champ and 4th at NCAA said in an interview here http://runnersfeed.com/...champion-cam-levins/. He said he would run 250+ miles a week to get ready for xc which is 10k
Quote Reply
Re: QFT: Paulo Sousa on Swimming [doTheRunningMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doTheRunningMan wrote:
Except there are guys running more than 267k per week for the 10k. Cam Levins the Canadian xc champ and 4th at NCAA said in an interview here http://runnersfeed.com/...champion-cam-levins/. He said he would run 250+ miles a week to get ready for xc which is 10k
Nothing like mentioning something COMPLETELY outside the norm (even by elite running standards) to prove your point. I mean seriously, running >150mpw at the elite level is outside the norm, 250? Come on now.

This whole thread is such an effing joke. The post that said something about If someone asks what ST is all about, they would point them to this thread, nailed it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is an angry thread. Is it even about swimming anymore?
Quote Reply
Re: QFT: Paulo Sousa on Swimming [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
STP wrote:
No. You missed all my qualifiers. I know exactly what it takes to get from 47 to 45. (Frankly, I know alot more about that than I do about how to get from 2:00 to 1:15)

What I said was that if you take a kid who is already going 47 and is not fully developed swimmingwise, it may very well be easier to get that kid to go 45. More importantly, getting those last 2 seconds is in many ways a different kind of coaching than getting from 2:00 to 1:15.

What exactly is a "fully developed" swimmer? And how many are swimming a :47. A few state records in HS are only in the mid :45s.

If they are going a 47 I'd say they are pretty developed. 47 isn't world class, but that's still pretty fast. If you are coming out of highschool swimming a low 47, I'm pretty sure they are going D1. To me, that's pretty developed. Granted they have not met their FULL potential, but I really doubt they have any kind of major stroke flaws slowing them down.

As for a different kind of coaching, absolutely.

Quote | Reply
Chuck Finley wrote:

If people thought you were Paulo, I bet you'd be angry too!!!
Quote Reply
Re: QFT: Paulo Sousa on Swimming [doTheRunningMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would if he could................................35 miles a day....sure,got crack?
Quote Reply
Re: QFT: Paulo Sousa on Swimming [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Surprised no one has posted this gem yet.... It might deserve it's own thread..

http://blog.trainingpeaks.com/...dy-swim-workout.html

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: QFT: Paulo Sousa on Swimming [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"TrainingPeaks contributor Ben Greenfield, M.S. PE, NSCA-CPT, CSCS, is recognized as one of the top fitness, triathlon, nutrition and metabolism experts in the nation."

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
he's dreamy.... and smoldering.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, that could be an amazing Strange Denizens of the Pool post. Especially after the hypoxic repeats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was looking for "April 1st" date at the top
Quote Reply
Re: QFT: Paulo Sousa on Swimming [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kenney wrote:
Was looking for "April 1st" date at the top

Nope it was tweeted by Training Peaks today...

Heath Dotson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bet it was tagged with #deltabravo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I get my 910 I was going to look at what training peaks offered......................................No more
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Authority wrote:
Chuck Finley wrote:

If people thought you were Paulo, I bet you'd be angry too!!!

That would be the worst thing ever.
Quote Reply
Re: QFT: Paulo Sousa on Swimming [BeachboyWI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BeachboyWI wrote:
What exactly is a "fully developed" swimmer? And how many are swimming a :47. A few state records in HS are only in the mid :45s.

The description made me think of the athletes who are mad talents and show some brilliance in the sport with somewhat limited training. Think Ed Moses, who effectively swam like two summer leagues before college and ended up setting a few world records in breaststroke before retiring to try to make it on the PGA Tour. Or more recently, Dax Hill (basketball) and Breeja Larson (softball/track & field) who were both runners up at NCAAs last year as underclassmen after being multisport athletes in high school and not swimming year-round until they hit campus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll summarize this thread with a Haiku:

beckoning street cred

authority looms dark

where's my snorkel

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply

Prev Next