Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Polar V800 vs Garmin 910xt
Quote | Reply
Lots of talk on the matter and my 910xt went caput so here are some thoughts I have based on my experiences. Any questions, let me know.

Watch General – appears to be built better than the 910xt…had strap issues with the Garmin, and we have all had issues with barometer on the stupid thing. Great looking watch and find the display easier to read, however, the 910xt screen may be a tad larger (wider) which can make it easier to read multiple displays. Miolink works for run and bike, but not for recovery testing. You can also touch the screen to give you recovery status and daily cals burned and it will return to watch view.
Saving Data - Once you end a workout, on the Polar you have the choice to save or delete right away. With the Garmin I had to go into settings, history, etc, etc. Also, easy to sync with app. Goes to Polar for those with mobile devices. With BT, don’t need my wahoo tool to sync them.
Swim Metrics – More curious than anything with the HR metrics with Polar. Miolink won’t provide HR data. You can turn on the GPS for the Polar right now, but nothing inside. Currently, this win goes to the Garmin…waiting to see the swim metrics for Polar.
Cycling – Currently Garmin all the way. Polar is really behind on this. Can’t sync with Kickr and I have a Quarq, so no luck there either. Update scheduled in June so we will see. It won’t help my Quarq, but if it picks up power from Kickr, I’d be happy.
Run – Very similar to the Garmin 910xt. Race pace is nice; it has some route options that you can program and send to the watch. At the end of lap on a run, like the Garmin it will auto lap and show you distance/pace, but it then gives you HR avg and max pace, nice touch. Miolink works on the run. The GPS is fast. I give the edge here to Polar, but not by much. I don’t have the foot pod but would be curious on trying it down the road. The pod size would be a draw back to Polar.
Uploading Software/Charging – Both work in similar fashion. I use my Ipad so not needing any extra pieces (wahoo key) with the Polar, win goes to Polar.
Customer Service – This goes to Polar. It’s great they have some reps on ST. Wayne gave me a call in a reply to an email and we had a good honest discussion on a couple of fronts. If I was at a 50-50 draw on deciding, the service would push me over. Tks Wayne.
App – like it much better than Garmin Connect even though it is still developing. Also, some nice features with Polar Flow Web. I’m really curious where they go with the App and Web. I haven’t found a way to compare workouts with Polar where you can in Garmin. This all being said, I give the edge to Garmin at this time because you can transfer data to TP, Strava, etc. Once this update comes to Polar, it will be Polar win.
Activity Tracker/Recovery – Well Garmin doesn’t have it, makes it easy. It is interesting data to see (sleep time/restless sleep/sit/stand/walk/active). Didn’t appeal to me, but now that I have it, kind of neat. Also, if you are a data geek, the orthostatic test can be quite interesting along with Polar recommendations for Training Load and time to recover.
BT/Ant – No point beating a dead horse. I don’t lay blame on Polar for this. It can just as easily be laid on Quarq and other devices for not being dual. If you didn’t have power meter, you wouldn’t be complaining that it was BT since pretty well everything is heading this way. I will need to do a work around (upload from Edge or use 4iiii product).
Cost – Garmin wins hear…huge difference.
Other – There are some nice/neat functions within the watch (tap screen), and programmable displays, map/race functions, customizable sport functions. Releasing a product not quite ready is a risk. Well, we can use Recon Jet as an example. They are now waiting till at least September and that is the end of our season (for most), not much good to anyone. It is clearly a solid enough product now with open swim metrics that I’d rather start the season with it, than end with it. Hopefully the firmware updates come quickly. At the end of the day, there is a bit of trust at play that Polar will follow through with firmware updates and they have come out and said as such, you either believe them or don’t, I do. This will be my first Polar product as well, so can’t compare to any others. Sorry. I’ve used it for a couple of training runs/swims/bike. Not quite DC Rainmaker (thanks for answering my questions DC) quality, but my first thoughts.
As I keep playing with it, I may add a few more comments as I learn.
Last edited by: Tony5: May 29, 14 5:26
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 vs Garmin 910xt [Tony5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks
nice to see an objective view on it. DC is great. A second opinion is always appreciated.
My 910xt just got back from barometer repair and within 3 days the vibrate mode is broken. I have completely given up on Garmin.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 vs Garmin 910xt [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is exactly the point I reached with Garmin. It's a bit of a tough pill to swallow to make the switch, but I am giving some trust to Polar and hoping for the best. If the power meter wasn't a concern, it would be a easier decision for anyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am leaning toward just using my Garmin 800 on the bike.
I don't understand the value of the whole recovery measurement thing. Is it just a gimmick ? is there value ?I don't know. If there is value, then how important is it to capture biking workouts, even if just HR data. So is it important to capture HR data on the polar while capture power data on the Garmin ?
I need an everyday watch, father's day is coming, my Garmin is failing once again.....hmmmmmm.
I have always liked Polar as a company. They were a customer of ours and always a great company to deal with.
Last edited by: marcag: May 29, 14 5:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think there is value on the recovery options. The logic/science is there on the testing, however, will you use it consistently to benefit? Also, it may come as part of the firmware upgrades, but I'd bet if you could program the notification on Flow to take these tests every X days, it may help...Also, if Flow then could anlayze and maybe if the numbers were x% above your mean numbers, give you a overtraining notification, that would be really neat function.

I'm with you right now on using just the Edge on the bike, but will probably use v800 for speed and HR and see how it goes...I'm still figuring things out and as the firmware upgrades, i'm sure there will be more things to play with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Additions:

Had a couple of messages that reminded me of some things I missed:

Alarm - There is an alarm function with sound and vibrate (alarm clock style) so the last little bit to a fully functioning watch. Not sure if there is a way yet but if you can choose vibrate only for the 430am wake up to hop on the trainer and not wake the wife, that would be great. If I figure it out, let you know.

Daily activity - I commented on its functions briefly that I found more useful than I expected, but one of the measurements was sleep. I enjoyed the difference between deep sleep and restless sleep. We can debate the accuracy of it I'm sure, but after a couple of nights, it seemed accurate for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How long does the battery last between charges ?
If you wear this as an everyday watch when do you charge it ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It says it last 30 days in watch mode. I will run it dry without charging using it approximately 8-10hrs a week for training (even in the pool). It comes with a USB for the computer to charge so I would probably just charge it at work.

You can also use it with the plug adapters if the specs are right. It says what they are in the manual, I'm assuming it is the same as your typical smart phone/tablet, but I will sure that up tonight. It's been 4 to 5 days now and the battery icon shows full.

The tap function on screen is a nice add on, but there is a bit of trick to it. You can't be gentle with it. I have found that at the bottom of the watch where it says V800 if you hit there, it is the most effective location. I give it a double tap with two fingers and hit has worked flawlessly so far using this method. I have a run this afternoon and will play with it a bit more on the run.

Also, finally an app that lets you sync your workout without being on wifi or data. It won't sync with Flow on the internet, but you can immediately sync with your ipad app and not be online. FINALLY!
Last edited by: Tony5: May 29, 14 9:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So charging with certain wall adapters will work. Similar specs to mobile device adapters. You will need to confirm with wall adapter but specs are in manual (LPS and output upto 2A max).

Had a chance to test multi-sport mode, works flawlessly. The nice feature is that when it uploads, the online Polar Flow shows it as a single event with included transition times. The fast GPS made a big difference as it allowed me to put bike in house, come out and get pace right away. 910xt after running about 500meters, was still searching so I had to stop and let it find a satellite.

Also with a couple of easy runs in, i had a chance to compare the Running Index with my known times. Each one was within 10 secs of may open race times.

Another nice feature, while on a run, you can hold down the start button to lock you into whatever HR zone you are in. Then, the watch will display a spectrum on the HR zone with an arrow letting you know where you are on the graph.

Finally, I haven't noticed any significant difference on calorie calculation or distance between the 910xt and V800 during exercise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I want to go out at lunch and run between 3:45 and 4:15 pace.

I can set that up in my garmin to have pace (and cadence) based limits
Polar v800 doesn't support that.

Win garmin(sunnuto/garmin/timex/everyone else)

Game set and match anything thats not Polar.

Stillborn unit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks

Can you export workouts to training peaks ?
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 vs Garmin 910xt [ddave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ddave wrote:
I want to go out at lunch and run between 3:45 and 4:15 pace.

I can set that up in my garmin to have pace (and cadence) based limits
Polar v800 doesn't support that.

Win garmin(sunnuto/garmin/timex/everyone else)

Game set and match anything thats not Polar.

Stillborn unit

That would work quite well for me if

a) instantaneous pace actually worked. The 910xt really struggled with this. Not sure they ever got it right.
b) my Garmin actually vibrated when I was out of range. My unit, a few days old, back from it's nth trip under warranty decided it didn't want to alert anymore

Garmin is far from perfect. I have one, I have paid for it, and it's crap quality is what has me looking at Polar, which seems to have it's own set of challenges.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Battery only lasts 8-10h between charges? So no good for IM racing then.

Quote | Reply
Cobble wrote:
Battery only lasts 8-10h between charges? So no good for IM racing then.

Unless you are Van Lierde :-)

I hope (for them) that is wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't export or share anywhere...a definite drawback right now agreed...I believe it's coming with firmware upgrades as they have stated.

You can set up the watch for pace workouts and distance as well as 'phase' workouts (ex. 5 mins at x pace, 30mins y pace, 5mins z pace). I don't see cadence alerts as an option, but for those types of training days, it would be nice. Not sure if it is in the works as option either. Can't see why they can't with a firmware updates.
Last edited by: Tony5: May 30, 14 6:27
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 vs Garmin 910xt [Cobble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think they have the battery time last at 13hrs. For the fun of it, after my swim, i will hit start in run mode and see exactly how long it goes with GPS on. So, check back tonight to see if it last 10hrs. I will charge up the Miolink so it will get HR data as well for the 10hrs.

If you want something else tested, let me know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running yesterday with both, the Polar picked up the pace faster than the 910xt. I feel your pain there. I'll do some pickups to see how much, if any, a difference there is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tony5 wrote:
Can't export or share anywhere...a definite drawback right now agreed...I believe it's coming with firmware upgrades as they have stated.

To me this is crazy. No export to training peaks ? Strava ? To your coach ?
Not even once you've sent it to the web tool ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope, not yet. This is certainly an issue for the here and now...At the end of this week, I may type up a bit more on final thoughts with more details as I have got a nice grasp on the functions and what people are curious about and some key differences (good and bad) with the 910xt. I'm sure Wayne or Chris from Polar may shed a bit of light on expected firmware update for sharing data.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tony5 wrote:
Also, finally an app that lets you sync your workout without being on wifi or data. It won't sync with Flow on the internet, but you can immediately sync with your ipad app and not be online. FINALLY!

Great info, I was a bit concerned about this since the V800 only has 60 hrs of storage @ 1 s interval and that isn't enough on trips I make (and I don't want to be dependent on working internet connection abroad).

DCRainmaker's full review is scheduled for next week, I believe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tony5 wrote:
Nope, not yet. This is certainly an issue for the here and now...At the end of this week, I may type up a bit more on final thoughts with more details as I have got a nice grasp on the functions and what people are curious about and some key differences (good and bad) with the 910xt. I'm sure Wayne or Chris from Polar may shed a bit of light on expected firmware update for sharing data.

It is currently planned for September 2014 (export out of Polar Flow, where the V800 uploads to).

(As of two nights ago, from Chris and the V800 product lead)

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 vs Garmin 910xt [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks DC,

For those of you having a hard time keeping HR strap on in the pool during the swim, got a great tip from Polar when I hit them up to explain the problem I was having. Wear it on your back! It will stay on during the wall push off. Go figure.
For those of us who are not 'natural swimmers', I am really enjoying the HR ability as unlike running./biking where I can pace, I find it harder in the pool but HR keeps me in cheque nicely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tony5 wrote:
Thanks DC,

For those of you having a hard time keeping HR strap on in the pool during the swim, got a great tip from Polar when I hit them up to explain the problem I was having. Wear it on your back! It will stay on during the wall push off. Go figure.
For those of us who are not 'natural swimmers', I am really enjoying the HR ability as unlike running./biking where I can pace, I find it harder in the pool but HR keeps me in cheque nicely.

Wait, wah? It works by wearing on your back? I never woulda thought that...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FYI, I had a chance to do 10s sprints wearing the V800 and 910xt. The V800 was much faster to pick up pace and much faster to show as 0 pace when I stopped.

The GPS will beep on the v800 when out of range and it shows in percentage when it's connecting. For comparison purposes on picking up satellites, I can walk out of my office doors and take 2 steps and it picks up the satellites. Since you have the 910xt, I don't think I need to elaborate how painful it can be waiting for it to find satellites.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just grab a Garmin Fenix2. With the latest software patch it kicks my old 910xts butt and has all the run metrics of the 600 series if you get it with the upgraded heart rate strap including cadence etc.
According to DC there is a different team behind the Fenix2 vs 310 -910 and they have been very responsive to all requests
Quote Reply

Prev Next