Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official power2max support thread [power2max] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
power2max wrote:
Hi Nobbie,

ok, sounds like we have a way to resolve your question.

Some points of clarification: our power meters are designed to keep their calibration for a long time. When power2max came to market our power meters offered a new set of features that were previously thought not to be possible:
- Ability to change chain rings without affecting calibration
- Precise cadence without a magnet
- Temperature compensated
- Stable calibration

We regularly test units at the factory and are able to review calibration. The testing procedure has been qualified and provides repeatable results. Home testing the power meter whilst installed in a bottom bracket introduces a bias of unknown magnitude, which makes the comparison unreliable. Change your bottom bracket or change the lateral play on your cranks and you might change the measurement by a percent or two (I am just guessing here at the magnitude). If you take a reading you may think the calibration of your power meter has changed, but it hasn't.

This is at the heart of why we don't recommend it. Testing against a Cyclus2 or doing a steep long climbing test are easier to do well, in our experience.

Best
Nicolas

I have a couple of different SRM's, but the one I've had the longest is 5 years old, a Hollowgram spider SRM. During that time I've checked the calibration 11 times-3 different sets of chainrings, 2 sets of crank arms and 4 battery changes (I swapped the battery myself). The slope always tested within 1.5%. This includes moving the unit between multiple frames with different BB's. The other SRM's I've checked have all exhibited similar behavior except for one unit. So, I'm sorry to belabor this point but the repeatability is well within the precision of a Cyclus2 and certainly more precise than a field test back calculation.

Keep in mind, I think that's a good reality check--it was the W/speed relationship on a known climb where I realized that the one SRM had a badly-drifting slope. But guess what? I static calibration quickly confirmed that it was drifting...
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
No it doesn't. There is more to the process than hanging weights. The timing and algorithm can change the final output. I've been in calibration for 16 years and know what he's talking about.
I've strain gauged hundreds of shafts to do things close to what a power meter does.

What does timing and an algorithm have to do with performing a static torque test to see if the power meter can accurately measure torque when crank velocity is absolutely known with the highest precision, i.e. it is zero?

jaretj wrote:
sampling torque data and angular velocity at different rates poses a few challenges. Getting an energy balance is not as easy as you think it is

Using an inferred virtual cadence rather than actually measuring the timing of when a crank passes a fixed point probably isn't helping either. Especially when the torque sample rate is only 50Hz.

Can someone post some data from full gas standing starts recorded by a P2M? Chart pedal velocity v pedal force.
Last edited by: Watt Matters: Dec 24, 14 14:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Random question: Who makes the socks that came with my Power2Max power meter? I really like them. The power meter is great too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Boxing Day sale?
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [arca_tern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wonderful fiance got me a power2max for Christmas and I'm trying to figure out if it fits with my BB. Does the FSA Gossamer crank work with the external Shimano BB?
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [ds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@ds: We got them made directly at a factory. Glad you like them :-).

@jl2732: The FSA Gossamer Classic doesn't fit perfectly into a Shimano external BB, the fit is pretty tight. The best is to use a FSA Megaexo bottom bracket, but some people use a Shimano bottom bracket.

Best
Nicolas

---
power2max
http://www.power2max.com/northamerica
official power meter of Movistar Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Nicholas

Looking to order soon and need some advice. I want a PM that can do all 3 of my bikes. I have a BSA threaded bike. A Shiv Tri with the metal Specialized BB which i believe is identical to BB30 running the Fact cranks, and finally an S-Works Tarmac with the carbon OSBB which is different and narrower. I currently run this with adapters and GXP cranks but have the original Pf30 cups and bearings stored somewhere. Can PF30 be used easily with your cranks?

I believe based on all the above I need a Rotor 3d+ crank. Will I need to order 3 bb's from your site (cant see how to do this?) or will just a BSA adapter be required. Are plenty of washers and spacers to fit all 3 types included?

Sorry for the long winded nature but need to get my facts straight

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [chrispee44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi chrispee44,

Three models fit your requirements: the Rotor 3D+ and the two FSA BB386evo models. For all of them you'll need the BSA specific bottom bracket and they all fit in a BB30 or PF30 bottom bracket without adapters. It comes down to crank length, cost and weight preferences

Best
Nicolas

---
power2max
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Nicholas

Will enough spacers be included with the cranks/BB to ensure that all 3 are compatible or will I need to order more via rotor. Will go with 3d+ out of the options i think.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's been some debate and I'm trying to figure something out with my cadence.
I've been having random cadence drop outs and use both a Power2Max power meter and a Garmin GSC 10 Speed / Cadence sensor.
Should / can using both the GSC 10 and Power2Max cause any sort of drop out issues?
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [Y-Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

your computer either reads the cadence from the power2max or from the GSC10. It can't switch back and forth if it loses the GSC10 signal.

If you have a power reading >0 then cadence transmitted by your power2max is >0 by definition. As it's transmitted in the same data packet you won't get a cadence drop out with a power reading.

So what you are seeing sounds like the GSC10 cutting out from time to time, probably due to magnet placement or a weak battery.

Best
Nicolas

---
power2max
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are there good reasons to keep the magnet on the crank arm?
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [Y-Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

not really, since you get cadence from your power2max in any case.

Best
Nicolas

---
power2max
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nicholas, does p2m have any sort of Trade-In program in the works? I'd love to trade my classic p2m on Rotor 3D cranks in plus cash for a new type S rotor 3d+ combo
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [kppolich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kppolich wrote:
Nicholas, does p2m have any sort of Trade-In program in the works? I'd love to trade my classic p2m on Rotor 3D cranks in plus cash for a new type S rotor 3d+ combo

That's an idea. Then they could sell the refurbished units. The "+ Cash" component would be subject to the condition of the returning unit. I wonder if it would be worth it for them?

Or you could just sell your Classic P2M & put that to a new Type S :)

Last edited by: Jamaican: Jan 1, 15 11:15
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [Jamaican] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi there,

we haven't got such a program - thanks for your understanding.

Cheers
Nicolas

---
power2max
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Nicolas,

I have the FSA Gossamer with the P2M classic. Apparently I forgot to tighten my pedal on the drive side crank and it came lose to the point that it stripped the pedal socket. I can't seem to find a replacement crank on the website since it seems like I need the OEM crank. Is there anywhere I can get a new drive side crank that is compatible with the P2M classic? Or is there a standard crank I can buy that will work?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [FlannyOH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi FlannyOH,

we can provide a replacement crankset - no problem there. Please email us via the support address and we'll sort it out.

Cheers
Nicolas

---
power2max
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Nicolas for the quick response. I sent you the details via email.

Great support and great product!
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [FlannyOH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi there, I'm looking into buying a P2Max and I have a question or two (apologies if they've been asked numerous times or if they're daft questions).

Ideally I'm looking at the cheapest entry point right now, which seems to be the FSA Gossamer on the Classic version. If I decide to go this way, what are my options to upgrade cranks in the future? I've seen that you can buy alternate spiders, so can one purchase an alternate brand of cranks, a new spider and install them on to the PM down the line?

If this isn't possible, what are my other options? My bike runs a BSA 68mm bottom bracket, currently with Ultegra 6700 cranks (semi-compact on a Hollowtech II BB). Is there anything that my frame rues out?

Thanks, Tom
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [ttm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi ttm,

the power meters are specific to crank models. If you choose the FSA Gossamer Classic the only other crank arms that are compatible with the power meter are the FSA K-Force Light Megaexo.

As to the frame: many models are compatible with a BSA frame. If you want model that fits a Shimano bottom bracket directly the Rotor 3D24 is your first choice: http://www.power2max.com/...r-meter-with-cranks/

Best
Nicolas

---
power2max
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are the shipping lead times? Ordered a P2M meter the day before Christmas and still hasn't shipped. I understand holidays and all but I didn't think it would take two solid weeks.
Last edited by: fredclausen: Jan 4, 15 16:54
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [fredclausen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Fred,

edit - found your order and am in touch via email.

Best
Nicolas

---
power2max
Last edited by: power2max: Jan 4, 15 23:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone have any luck pairing their P2M Type S with the Zwift Beta? I've tried everything and can't get the P2M to appear when Zwift searches for a power meter to pair with. Had no trouble pairing with Golden Cheetah, Trainer Road or my 910XT.
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [zakakatz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi there,

unfortunately haven't had the opportunity to try it yet.

Best
Nicolas

---
power2max
Quote Reply

Prev Next