Re: Official power2max support thread [power2max] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tell os about the new Type-S powermeter :-D

My TT bike
BMC TM01
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [Tillquist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a new Type S model for the new Campagnolo standard. One power meter for both compact and standard gearing. Exact weights and prices are still pending, as Campagnolo cranks are still forthcoming. I expect to have more information in February.

Cheers
Nicolas

---
power2max
http://www.power2max.com/northamerica
official power meter of Movistar Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nicolas

I just bought the type S with the 3D 30 cranks. I also bought the special Rotor tool. Is that necessary or was it a waste of money. If it is not needed can you cancel my purchase of that piece? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [avion2001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
avion2001 wrote:
Nicolas

I just bought the type S with the 3D 30 cranks. I also bought the special Rotor tool. Is that necessary or was it a waste of money. If it is not needed can you cancel my purchase of that piece? Thanks!

I would call your shop up and ask very specifically and explicitly if they have the tool. I lucked out as mine (a higher end one) had the tool.
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [aravilare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am installing it myself and do not have the tool. I understand the 3D plus requires it. I just want to make sure that the 3D 30 requires it as well. TIA.
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [avion2001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
avion2001 wrote:
I am installing it myself and do not have the tool. I understand the 3D plus requires it. I just want to make sure that the 3D 30 requires it as well. TIA.

You need this tool if you want to install it and can not borrow tools somewhere else.

Cranks and power unit comes separately

My TT bike
BMC TM01
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [Tillquist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's right - in North America we send installed, though.

Best
Nicolas

---
power2max
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I tried to search for an answer, but did not find anything that would suite this. I have found on recent trainer training sessions, that the power fluctuates quite a bit during the ride. If I ride a constant aerobic (Zone 2) training, it is nice and even but the game changes when I do more intense intervals. Today for example I did 10x30seconds intervals with 3:30 rest in between, and I rode them all with the same settings (same gear, same trainer resistance, aero position etc.). When I look at the power file, the average power rises from 315w to 381w, and the average cadence for these intervals was 99-102. The 3:30 recovery in between was the thing that caught my eye, because there I also held the same settings through the whole training and there the power changed from 106w to 122w, steadily increasing. There the average cadence actually dropped from 93 to 90, and it actually felt that at the end of the ride watts were more easy to produce.

Can this have anything to do with auto-zero or temperature correction? I have bought my meter in 2013, so it should be the version that has these features. Has somebody else had similar issues, and should you during trainer rides also stop pedaling at some points to auto zero, or?

-Christopher
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [blackbird84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Christopher,

I recommend doing one zero offset by coasting at the beginning of your session, e.g., after warm up.

Regarding what you experience: it's consistent with what I see on an Elite fluid trainer. As my trainer warms up over the course over the session the resistance rises and the power values rise. As far as I understand it's related to the viscosity of the fluid at different temperatures.

Best
Nicolas

---
power2max
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The change in the ratio of power to speed/cadence could be caused by your trainer. The Cycleops Fluid2 is well known to fluctuate quite a bit as the unit warms up. Just guessing
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

thanks for the answers, I actually did not think of the possibility of the trainer "warming up". I actually have a 3-4 year old Tacx Elite, and it is a magnetic trainer so I don't know if they have the same problems as fluid trainers. I will however try to auto zero after warming up next time I do a trainer ride and see how that affects.

-Christoffer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
blackbird84 wrote:
Can this have anything to do with auto-zero or temperature correction? I have bought my meter in 2013, so it should be the version that has these features. Has somebody else had similar issues, and should you during trainer rides also stop pedaling at some points to auto zero, or?
I find this happens with all 3 of the P2Maxs I have, regardless of whether it has the temperature correction feature or not. For example, the graph below shows what happens when I use a Type S P2Max in parallel with a Lemond / Wattbox, and when I use an SRM with the same Lemond / Wattbox. The issue is clearly the P2Max's offset drifting because each time the P2Max is zeroed, it returns to the same power relative to the Lemond / Wattbox. If the issue were the characteristics of the Lemond changing over time, then zeroing the P2Max wouldn't cause this shift in the relative power readings.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always been told to put a fan on the fluid unit (assuming it's fluid) to keep the temperature regulated to avoid peaks and valleys in your session. This will likely be a method to keep things more stable from session to session.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [Steve Irwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

thanks for the answer! Quite interesting results, and clearly zeroing is a good thing to do between intervals. I need to retest my FTP, I have a feeling that the current level is affected by this
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is interesting as I had the same issue on my ride yesterday when I took my bike out from a warm kitchen to 5c outside. After 15 mins I was apparently pushing 280w with ease. I tried coasting a couple of times, but this didn't seem to correct it and so I stopped and did a calibrate. The readings then dropped back to around 220w as I'd expect. My unit has the temp compensation, so wondered if the temp sensor could have failed?

Heard nothing about the unit I sent back to the European service centre before Xmas for recal, any ideas how long this should take?
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [Nobbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

thanks for the feedback. I have my trainer in a spot where I have the opportunity to open an window/door if needed, and actually when reading your post I realized that everythime the fluctuations have been big has been when I have opened the window/balcony door during the training. In Finland the temperature is sometimes -20 to -30 degrees celsius, so during aerobic rides I prefer keeping the door closed so that the whole apartement is not an ice cube after the training. However, the times I ride a bit harder and I want to have more cooling, I usually open the door and the cold air hits the bike quite straight. If there would be a problem with temperature correction, how would it affect? Does cooler air generate higher power? This could also explain the difference, hence my ride yesterday that I wrote about went like this. First 20 minutes I had the door closed, until my girlfriend opened it and the temperature around my trainer must have went down at least 5 degrees celcius. Should the temperature correction be automatic, or do I need to auto-zero in order for it to correct such things?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://connect.garmin.com/...n/activity/672706805

Here's my trace from yesterday, I try coasting at 18:40 to reset it, but had to stop at 22:00 to do a manual calibration which seems to sort it out. At the start of the trace you can see the temperature dropping as the power increases, although the temperature is as measured by the garmin 500, so will be a bit different to the P2max. Not sure why the temperature compensation isn't kicking in?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

can you comment on how temperature affects power if fore some reason temperature correction does not work? Colder weather higher power or other way around? Does temperature correction need a pause in pedaling as auto zero, or does it require some other action to take place. Often on trainer rides there is no pause in pedaling during the whole session.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

the temperature compensation works on the temperature difference between the last time an auto zero or manual zero was done and the current temperature.

In the case of a big temperature shock like winter riding I would do a manual zero once. The reason is that there are safeguards against false zeros that could kick in with big temperature differences.

Regarding the "curve" - that's individual to a power meter (that's why each one undergoes temperature compensation calibration in the climate chamber).

Best
Nicolas

---
power2max
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the clarification, but what does 'manual zeroing' mean? Is that using the 'calibrate' function or just coasting for 5 seconds?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Nicolas

What is the story about power2max on Kwiatkowskis 2015 bike.

Is that some teams have bought or sponsors Power2max the team in 2015?

My TT bike
BMC TM01
Quote Reply

Prev Next