Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mitch - is this for retrofit only? Will a 2020 SC frameset come with these electronic install bits?

EDIT: One more question :)
Do new framesets come with BB bearings already pressed in?
Last edited by: Hit_Apex: Mar 6, 20 8:38
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Hit_Apex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hit_Apex wrote:
Mitch - is this for retrofit only? Will a 2020 SC frameset come with these electronic install bits?

EDIT: One more question :)
Do new framesets come with BB bearings already pressed in?

The framesets would be without the Di2 bits and the BB bearings. It would come with the headset bearings though!

Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bikes | @mitchmathewz
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anybody know if its possible to swap out the cockpit on a 2012 9.8 speed concept? Without the handling debate, I want to try and get road drop bars on it. A quick peak today showed me that it might not be possible.

Thanks
Brent
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [bsherman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bsherman wrote:
Anybody know if its possible to swap out the cockpit on a 2012 9.8 speed concept? Without the handling debate, I want to try and get road drop bars on it. A quick peak today showed me that it might not be possible.

Thanks
Brent

You can change the cockpit using the steer stub (p/n 420549) which creates a standard 1-1/8" steer tube for your choice of stem and handlebar. You would also need the bolts which are 1x W308011, 1x W308012, and 2x W309908. This is what we ran on the 2012 SC 7.0 for example.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Mitch. Do you know if the bolts that come off are the same as the ones needed by the extender? Or do I really need those bolts you listed?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [bsherman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bsherman wrote:
Thanks Mitch. Do you know if the bolts that come off are the same as the ones needed by the extender? Or do I really need those bolts you listed?

You'd need the ones I listed

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just purchased a 2016 Speed Concept that is being shipped to me in the next few days. I am hoping when I get the bike to take it to my local Trek shop to have them assemble it, but it seems that each day business' are being closed due to COVID. I am worried that they may be closed either before I get it to them or worse they close when they have my bike. This is my first triathlon bike so would it be better to just wait it out and have a pro put it together or would I be able to put it together myself? What kind of tools do I need to put it the bike together? Are there instructions for later models to look at or YouTube videos to watch? Any other info would be greatly appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I might be interested in a local bike for sale, it's a 2014 SC seven series (I assume it's a 7.5). However, I'm not sure if it's a gen1 or gen2, could anyone tell me how to spot the differences using the photos listed?
Last edited by: Mitchel1: Mar 22, 20 18:45
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [pkeys00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where are you located, good chance someone on here will be close enough to give you a hand.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Mitchel1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really easy to tell. The triangle shape where the top tube meets the seat tube. No
Triangle G1. Triangle G2

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome, that helps! Thank you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pkeys00 wrote:
I just purchased a 2016 Speed Concept that is being shipped to me in the next few days. I am hoping when I get the bike to take it to my local Trek shop to have them assemble it, but it seems that each day business' are being closed due to COVID. I am worried that they may be closed either before I get it to them or worse they close when they have my bike. This is my first triathlon bike so would it be better to just wait it out and have a pro put it together or would I be able to put it together myself? What kind of tools do I need to put it the bike together? Are there instructions for later models to look at or YouTube videos to watch? Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

If your shop is unavailable (most are still operational and offering curbside service), let me know and maybe I can jump on a video call with you for 30 mins. But check with your shop as they definitely need the support right now!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone know where I can get my hands on a mono plug-in for a Gen2 SC? Anyone have one for sale? Trek is telling me it’s back ordered until July...
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [AndrewHood23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndrewHood23 wrote:
Anyone know where I can get my hands on a mono plug-in for a Gen2 SC? Anyone have one for sale? Trek is telling me it’s back ordered until July...

Back ordered until June 22nd for part number W582446 - hopefully one pops up on the used market!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have one, in the UK. Never used, in original packaging.

It's the 2014-2019 version which mounts using the existing bolts on your bike. (2020 SC onwards has different mounting hardware).

DM me if interested.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [marting] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Everyone,
I have a 2017 SC with the XLab torpedo. Just bought a Garmin 1030 and looking for ideas on where to mount it and/or which mount to buy.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [marting] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So will the "new" 2020 mono plug fit on a 2019 SC or just a 2020 SC since the hardware is different?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I received a used 2016 Speed Concept last week and was able to assemble all of the pieces, components, etc by following the User Manual on the Trek website. After all said and done I had these two bolts laying around. I have looked over the manual several times and can't seem to spot where they go. I have also ridden it on my trainer with no wheels falling off, nor bike collapsing on me. I was also missing two screws and sent a broken aero front brake cover (so if anyone knows where I can find one please let me know), but maybe the were sent on accident. Any suggestions/ideas where they belong?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those look like brake pad spacers; for use with narrower wheels.

pkeys00 wrote:
I received a used 2016 Speed Concept last week and was able to assemble all of the pieces, components, etc by following the User Manual on the Trek website. After all said and done I had these two bolts laying around. I have looked over the manual several times and can't seem to spot where they go. I have also ridden it on my trainer with no wheels falling off, nor bike collapsing on me. I was also missing two screws and sent a broken aero front brake cover (so if anyone knows where I can find one please let me know), but maybe the were sent on accident. Any suggestions/ideas where they belong?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can confirm that those are indeed some brake pad spacers. Keep them in the spare parts drawer.

For a new brake cover though, we have those in stock but you would need to reach out to your local Trek dealer to get it ordered. These do vary by frame size so we have a few different part numbers. I know not all dealers are open these days, so if you are having trouble getting it, just let me know.

Last edited by: Mitch@Trek: Apr 1, 20 8:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I have a really stupid Di2 question. so with all this extra time right now I have decided to transfer the di2 for my other TT bike to the speed concept.
My question is when it comes to The junction B box under the bottom bracket what prevents it from getting wrapped up in the axle of the crank. I used an aftermarket bottom brackets so mine does not have the sleeve that others do when using the one from Trek. I don't know if I'm just being paranoid or if any of the extra wire and the B box could potentially actually get spun up in there.

Recommendations?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would buy a sleeve. I did this when I bought a set of BB Infinite bearings for my new SC. The BB Infinites didn't come with a sleeve, so I had to buy a set of bearings from trek, about $50 I think, to get a sleeve since they didn't offer it separately. Not the end of the world, I now have a spare set of trek bearings for when the Infinites wear out. The sleeve should pretty much last forever.
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Apr 3, 20 6:50
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey

after the first ride on a new speed concept, I noticed damage on the fork where it touches the frame when turning the front wheel.
I complained to the store where I bought a new bike - Trek's official store in Poland.
The owner told me that this is typical damage to this model.
The reason is too much turning radius of the front wheel and at the moment of maximum turn the fork hits the frame causing the paint to spatter.
I have made an official complaint but in his opinion Trek will not accept it.
I am surprised and worried because this class of bicycle should not have any hidden factory defects.
The pictures show that the loss of varnish is quite deep.
In my opinion, a carbon crack is also visible.
What are your suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you can get the sleeve, worth it as it also helps prolong the BB life. But your wires won't get hung up or twisted since it is a smooth cylinder and a wire that has secured ends. If you had an abundance of wires there, of course there would be more concern.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I definitely have long wires.
Quote Reply

Prev Next