Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [zamm0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't seem to have any of the slippage issues that you have.I did have to retighten my post after the first ride I did,but It was fine after that.IMO you could fix it with a shim or the duct tape,BUT it is not the correct fix to the problem.Get a new post or bolt/clamp & get it corrected the right way.Hope you can figure this out.The bike is waaaayyyyy too good to let this small issue bring it down!Cam.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [zamm0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow...you got almost halfway back through this thread to find my response to motobob and missed #843 along the way? I JEST!! No doubt that one popped up first in a search.

Undersized post, which our tech services gang has ready-to-go remedies for when you or your LBS gives them a shout. Curious though: which model SC do you have?

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The Transition seat post works the same way, only has friction at the very front and back. I used hairspray both on the post and the other parts that clamp against it. It dries to leave a much more matt finish on the surface and completely solved the problem for me with the Transition. I sprayed several coatings on, leaving it to dry in between each one.

My SC9 frameset has apparently arrived in the shop, so I'll soon be finding out for myself if the same technique works with the SC.

Cheers Steve, thanks for the contribution. When I examined the SC's clamp the area of contact did strike me as small and, like you say, smooth, and likely not the best for creating friction. Hopefully I won't have to resort to such a method or using duct tape. Shouldn't have to really with a bike costing £2.5K.

Quote:
Undersized post, which our tech services gang has ready-to-go remedies for when you or your LBS gives them a shout. Curious though: which model SC do you have?

Carl Matson
Trek Bicycles
Design Engineer - Speed

Hi Carl, firstly, it's great you take the trouble to answer stuff on ST. I have a SC7.2 and luckily I bought my SC from my LBS rather than mail-order so its easy for me to get in touch in person. I had no idea there were undersized posts. I just hope the "tech services gang" expertise extends to the UK. Many thanks for your time.
Last edited by: zamm0: Dec 8, 10 11:17
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finally confirmed my order with LBS for the SC 9.9 Frameset through P1, Di2 TT, Zipp 808 Tubs, expecting mid Jan 2011 delivery. Any suggestions on best crank/chainset compatible with BB90/Di2 if not 7900 and anyone using Quarq PM? I was looking at PMs and they seem to be the best for price locally.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Grim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good news today,

So I just stopped by the LBS to graze like a lost farm animal and discovered that my SC 7 was on the rack being expertly assembled. It will take a little longer than normal to finish, because they are changing the aero bar extensions to Bontrager X lites. Several years ago I broke both wrists and ended up with a totally fused right wrist and screws in my left wrist that limit my ability to hang onto straight or S bend bars. The J bend style X lites are perfect replacements. I am also having the draft box and duo-trap sensor installed since I already use a Node 2 on my Trek 1500SLR. For the time being we have yanked the SSR wheels and will run Bontrager X lite Aero's until I can get some 80MM carbon wheels on board (probably Sram S80 because thats what I can afford). Since I have invested in new bike, I am changing from my mountain bike SPD pedals to SPD SL Ultegra's, but I have not purchased them yet. Although I already have the Bontrager Hilo Tri shoes in house and ready to go.

My biggest problem now, is that I have not been riding much since my training has been solely dedicated toward a Marathon this coming January 11th. In a few months, I should be riding reasonbly fast again and maybe a month or two after that, I will be exceeding my previous PB's on my trusty Trek 1500SLR... I hope. Just in time for the Triathlon season.

I will provide some pictures as soon as possible.

Mark
Northern California
Trek 1500 SLR Road
Trek SC7 Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [MKAH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Good news today,

So I just stopped by the LBS to graze like a lost farm animal and discovered that my SC 7 was on the rack being expertly assembled. It will take a little longer than normal to finish, because they are changing the aero bar extensions to Bontrager X lites. Several years ago I broke both wrists and ended up with a totally fused right wrist and screws in my left wrist that limit my ability to hang onto straight or S bend bars. The J bend style X lites are perfect replacements. I am also having the draft box and duo-trap sensor installed since I already use a Node 2 on my Trek 1500SLR. For the time being we have yanked the SSR wheels and will run Bontrager X lite Aero's until I can get some 80MM carbon wheels on board (probably Sram S80 because thats what I can afford). Since I have invested in new bike, I am changing from my mountain bike SPD pedals to SPD SL Ultegra's, but I have not purchased them yet. Although I already have the Bontrager Hilo Tri shoes in house and ready to go.

My biggest problem now, is that I have not been riding much since my training has been solely dedicated toward a Marathon this coming January 11th. In a few months, I should be riding reasonbly fast again and maybe a month or two after that, I will be exceeding my previous PB's on my trusty Trek 1500SLR... I hope. Just in time for the Triathlon season.

dont feel bad,, i bought a 9.9 w di2 5 weeks ago and have only seen it twice in the basement since them..26inches of snow
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [swaco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Good news today,

dont feel bad,, i bought a 9.9 w di2 5 weeks ago and have only seen it twice in the basement since them..26inches of snow

That sucks man, we will have decent weather this weekend so I will get to ride around little.

BTW, when I was at the LBS checking out my new bike, I actually rubbed my face on the fork. It was indeed a quiet moment in the shop while this happened, but it was just something that needed to be done.

Mark
Northern California
Trek 1500 SLR Road
Trek SC7 Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [MKAH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, gratz mate, the 7 is still one nice piece of kit, looking forward to the pics, seems like Trek SC good news day today, got a call from the LBS and 9.9 is due in 2 weeks and not mid Jan 2011. Although I fully understand the face/bike moment thing, I think I will refrain as my wife will probably divorce me if she saw me doing that....8)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's a pic of mine, Medium 9.8 Project One... so far I'm loving it! I've since installed Sram Red derailleurs and a Sram S975 Quarq. An amazing bike in every way! Still not sure if I'll race with the Aeolus 9.0 (carbon clinchers) or use my Zipp Sub9/808 tubular combo. Also have Aeolus 6.5's for some versatility.

http://www.flickr.com/...ncpretty/5213241882/
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [JP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fantastic looking bike! but, small ring *and* a a pie plate on the rear?

Shame, shame...
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [bpq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ha ha I didn't think that was the purpose of this thread... but anyway, I took the pic when I brought the bike home without any staging. Many changes made to the bike since then!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl, do you know if the 3T aero brake levers fit on the SC9 bars? I quite like the idea of having the cable internally routed all the way from the lever.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Steve Irwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Howdy-

Assuming you mean these? Yes, they'll fit.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, those are the ones. Thanks for your answer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl and others,

I have a SC 7 on order that should be here in a few weeks. How do you put it in a stand? I used to work at a Trek shop and worked on some of the Madones that came with the custom clamp thing that held the seat post and then clamped into the stand. Does the SC come with a similar device to allow you to clamp it in a stand? (The stand I have is like the standard Park tool stands that every bike shop uses, with a clamp like this:

How can I hold my soon-to-arrive SC in it?
Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [nilloc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The SC won't fit in a standard Park repair stand. You have two options: Get a Park stand that holds the bike by the BB and fork, or you can buy the SC adapter pad for your work stand. Second option is obviously cheaper. Your local Trek dealer can get you the piece that fits into the Park stand. It's a universal piece for the Trek bikes and then you can get different pads to fit the Madone, SC, etc. So have your dealer order you one of the adapter clamps with the SC pads.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what drewmc said...

or, get the version of this which fits your model of Park stand. clamp down on the long axis of the SC post and get your wrenching on.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your response Carl and drewmc. Carl, I actually don't have the Park stand, but one made by Bontrager a few years ago that think has been discontinued. It is almost identical to this one from Park:

Do you know if Trek/Bontrager has replacement clamps for it like Park offers?
Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing like what Park offers. Your best bet is probably to go the universal adapter route with our SC-specific inserts.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had some issues with my seatpost slipping while on the trainer. I had the same issue with the seat post sliding down on my equinox 9 series so it may be operator error. I'm tightening the bolt to the required torque, so I'm not sure what the issue is. Any help would be much appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [michaelgasser17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had some issues with my seatpost slipping while on the trainer. I had the same issue with the seat post sliding down on my equinox 9 series so it may be operator error. I'm tightening the bolt to the required torque, so I'm not sure what the issue is. Any help would be much appreciated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To clarify the model of SC, I have a 9.9
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey there-

Sorry to hear about the slipping...but want to make sure I understand correctly: this is happening on an Equinox TTX 9.x, or a Speed Concept 9.x?

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is currently happening on my Speed Concept 9.9. I have only ever ridden the bike on the trainer due to weather, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Undersized post, which our tech services gang has ready-to-go remedies for when you or your LBS gives them a shout.

Is there any way to tell if a SC seatpost is one of the non-slipping ones? Other than go for a ride and see if you end up sitting on the top tube after about half an hour ;-)
Last edited by: zamm0: Dec 13, 10 9:23
Quote Reply

Prev Next