Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah I feel comfortable at high(ish) speed on my road bike, just not on my tri bike.
I had a quick look through some workout files
- a few weeks ago I rode the Shiv with normal training wheels and I hit 44 mph without feeling too sketchy
- at IMCH on my Felt B2 Pro (old 404 and 808) I hit 44 mph on most downhills and this was at my comfort limit (many people were a lot faster than this)
- on my road bike (normal wheels) I hit 44/45mph regularly. I'm not at all uncomfortable at those speeds, the bike just doesn't go much faster
- shiv with 404s: I chicken out at 40mph

so to answer your question - I am comfortable at speeds a little higher than 40mph but I don't seem to often hit 50 mph as you do. I would be comfortable at 50 mph on a road bike, not in aero or on my tri bike. It should be noted that I use a bottle between the bars which may add some instability...
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Shane_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shane, I think you will always descend better on a road bike than a tri bike. Have you tried a disc on he rear? Wat front wheel do you think would work better?

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have not tried a disc wheel, I just bought the 808 so no more $$ for new toys just yet. Interestingly, I descend fastest on my Tarmac SL4 with the Zipp101's. I NEVER feel unstable with that bike and wheel combo. I hit 58mph on that bike a few weeks ago on the same road I can only do about 47-48mph on the Venge with 404's. I am going to try an 808 on the front of the Shiv along with the 808 rear and and see how I like it. The Tri bike is still a steep learning curve for me so take everything I say with a pinch of salt. Its my first Tri bike. I love the thing and have set PR's on roads/segments that I have ridden and tracked on Strava almost 100 times now. The bike is very fast in my opinion and I am able to put out more power on it, I assume due to the position.

I will let you know more once I test the 808 front, but it wont be for about 2 weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
That's interesting. Anyone else having problems with handling on windy days?

Do you have a disc on the rear?

I'm a relatively new cyclist, only started a little over a year ago. I have the Expert (pics are up a couple of pages back) with 808's. I'm here in Oklahoma where the wind is anywhere from 20-40 at least two days/week. And it's not just windy here......but it's gusty wind. And those 808's are just too twitchy for me. I'm forced to come up out of aero for stability. So it's back to the training wheel in the front. I have numerous experienced riders telling me to stick with the 808. "Train on them, get use to them, race on them." "use your balance to make subtle adjustments to compensate." So to clearify.....in instabitlity is not from fast decents (again, I'm in Oklahoma. you have to search for hills) but from winds and deep front wheel. My comments in an earlier thread was directed towards the change in handling when the bladder is full. It feels to me that turning is much sharper. But then again, I've only successfully filled the damn bladder twice. And both times the water heated up very very quickly (sunny 85-90* days).

I have not yet changed up the tube to a camelbak or tried the baby powder trick yet. I will today. I'm also going into a couple of lbs's to check on 303 & 404 front wheels.

CC
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just playing with fun idea's since there is so much surface area on this frame to design with....

Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [mile2424] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yesterday I took the advice of others on here and changed out the tube and applied baby powder to my fusealge prior to insertion. The tube was replaced with a camelbak insulated tube director. I had to measure and cut the insulation off at the point it would pass through the "fuel cap" thing. Then re-apply it to the tube, sliding it back on inch by inch. First........the bladder slid right in with the combination of the powder and the tube director. Those of you that havent seen one, it has something like 12guage stainless steel wire inside of the insulating wrapper. This makes both insertion a snap, and keeping the tube and valve in place. I rode 30 miles on some pretty bumpy Oklahoma roads yesterday and not once did it fall out of place. AND no more hot sipps. The insulating material keeps even the liquid in the tube exposed to the sun nice and cool!! I also cut off a small piece of that yellow mesh from my old Profile Design aero drink bottle and placed it in the fuselage opening. Re-filling on the go was a breeze. I had most all of a 24oz bottle in, with only 4 or 5 squeezes.

Now my only gripe is these stock brake pads have absolutely NO grip on the braking surface of my new 808's. Not sure why. Is it bc they're new? Or different type of surface on the Zipps? Whatever it is, needs fixed.

Picked up some new Mavic Tri shoes last week. (love them) So I'm headed back in Friday for a re-fit. Will ask fitter to place me a little lower on the arms, reduce the wrist relief, and try to get a little more narrow up front. Overall, i'm pleased with the bike. It's done both things I've asked of it.....make me more comfortable for long rides, and speed me up!! lol Cause guys like me need to buy all the speed we can!! I'm looking forward to debuting my new rig next Sunday at KS HIM. Been telling everyone it's a "hybrid"......half missile, half bicycle!!!!

CC
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark,
Quick question on the Shiv TT hardware. Do you know what the thread size is for the bolts that hold the armrests & extensions down onto the assembly? They are the super-short flush-mounted bolts that go in right underneath the velcro for the arm-pads.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [ChiroCowboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChiroCowboy wrote:
Now my only gripe is these stock brake pads have absolutely NO grip on the braking surface of my new 808's. Not sure why. Is it bc they're new? Or different type of surface on the Zipps? Whatever it is, needs fixed.

If they're Firecrest 808s then you should have been using carbon-specific pads instead of the Shiv's stock pads. The Shiv's stock pads aren't meant for carbon and won't stop as well (which you experienced I suppose) but also you void Zipp's warranty on the wheels if you use pads not on their list of recommended pads.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [CAnderson_SBC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone ordered the Dark Speed Works Speedpack 483 yet? I just ordered and hopefully will get it this week. Would have been nice if Specialized had put on some top tube bosses ala SC/P5, but it looks like the 483 is the next best solution. I'm really happy with my Speedpack 480 on my road bike, so hopefully this one serves me equally well.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [art] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Be sure to provide feedback after your order comes in and you have had a chance to go out on a few rides.

Thanks in advance.

art wrote:
Has anyone ordered the Dark Speed Works Speedpack 483 yet? I just ordered and hopefully will get it this week. Would have been nice if Specialized had put on some top tube bosses ala SC/P5, but it looks like the 483 is the next best solution. I'm really happy with my Speedpack 480 on my road bike, so hopefully this one serves me equally well.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [art] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
art wrote:

So are you planning on using this instead of the bladder or are you going to mount it over the top of the bladder and be unable to refill the bladder or are you going to leave a gigantic gap on your top tube between the "speedpack" and the fairing behind the stem?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Philosoraptor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The latter, latter. Not giving up the bladder, planning on mounting just behind the bladder I guess. I think I'm going to grab one of those smallest possible bags for behind the seat for a tube/co2 and then use the DSW for gels or something. It's basically dead air behind the stem is my understanding, so even with a gap between the stem and the DSW, hopefully it won't affect anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [CAnderson_SBC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could you highlight some of the differences between the frame models of the Shiv Tri?

I'm Interested in the Comp, Expert, and Pro but would like to have a little knowledge about the differences in frame design, weight, material before I make a choice as to which is worth more to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Cyronman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is the same fame/carbon layup with all three. The main difference is paint job and components. The lighter/stiffer frame is with the S-Works model.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [kello711] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone have anymore specific information?

It doesn't seem that you can have the same material/carbon layup between the three and make one or the other lighter/stiffer. But what do I know?

Just trying to get some more info as I'll probably have the bike for quite some time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From the Shiv site:

Quote:
FRAME
Specialized FACT 10r carbon, crosswind-optimized airfoils, FACT IS construction, OSBB, Control Tower fit system and Fuelselage integrated hydration system

Same frame on all three models. Between the three there is no difference lighter/stiffer. The Pro does have the integrated aero bars.

The S-Works model has the FACT 11r carbon layup which makes it lighter/stiffer with the same frame design.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/road/shiv
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [kello711] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I saw that on their site but it didn't seem quite sufficient enough to make a decision on I guess. Mainly because I wouldn't think that such slight differences would make such major differences in price.

Thanks for replying Kello, makes choosing fairly easy :)
Last edited by: Cyronman: Jun 5, 12 6:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The price differences come from the components. The fact (no pun intended) that the frames are the same is the reason why the Comp is such an awesome value bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

I'm wondering if any current shiv owners can clarify if the Specialized stack in their shiv fit guide is the absolute lowest possible?

I'm not sure if the s works stem can be angled lower to give more?

The Small seems to fit me, but lowest stack appears to be 600mm.
I'm currently 590mm to top of pads and curious if standard s works set up allows for a lower drop or if the guide is bang on?

I know there is an option of lower aftermarket aerobars if needed but just wondering if downward angle on stem is possible in standard form?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Philosoraptor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Philosoraptor wrote:
So are you planning on using this instead of the bladder or are you going to mount (the Speedpack 483) over the top of the bladder and be unable to refill the bladder or are you going to leave a gigantic gap on your top tube between the "speedpack" and the fairing behind the stem?

Fyi, the Speedpack 483 is able to mount just behind the Shiv bladder opening, or it can actually mount over the bladder opening if the Speedpack straps are able to wrap around your top tube. If you want to mount it over all or some of the bladder opening, the Speedpack 483 won't permanently block your bladder access, as it is easily removable (well, not while riding, but while you're prepping or filling your bike).

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ordered the 483 and got tracking info, so I suspect I'll receive it soon, I'll get some pics of it on the Shiv and post.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [concededpenguin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

is of my Shiv with the 483 bento and bladder installed.

I also have removed the bladder and moved the 483 all the way forward. No pics right now but in that case, I just used the rear two velcro straps and tucked the front velcro underneath. I fixed the zipper pulls too, they are now form-fitting.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [concededpenguin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
concededpenguin wrote:
I ordered the 483 and got tracking info, so I suspect I'll receive it soon, I'll get some pics of it on the Shiv and post.

Hey, I'd welcome a nice pic of race-ready Shiv! And hope the Speedpack works great for you. We've already gotten some very positive feedback from our first athletes.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [tetonrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reverse question, can you somehow use the SHIV stem and cockpit on another frame? For example a transition?
If so, do they sell them separately?

-----------------------------------
Swim with swimmers, bike with cyclists, run with runners. Train with those who are hard to keep up with. Soon you will be hard to keep up with.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Tri297] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Got mine today! Wanted the tri version but, couldnt justify paying double the price!
Got this one cheap from someone that just switched sponsor!
Quote Reply

Prev Next