Just base bars is about 100g I believe.

Matt Elmore
Specialized Bicycle Components
Product Marketing
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [MattyElmore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Matt. I´ll go for the M one.
Did a convert from cm (185) to foot and copied it that is why I looks to funny.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [pdais97] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ohh got ya.

Pretty familiar with metric system, you can use that next time. haha, enjoy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Matt, Thanks for that info. One last question. I am changing out the stock FSA Gossamer crank on my 2013 shiv to a SRAM Red BB30 crankset. Will I need any special spacers or washers for the crankset to fit in the OSBB bottom bracket? I don't think the stock FSA crank is using any spacers, but i'd have to double check.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [hayai_240] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I put a SRAM Red Exogram on mine and used none of the big spacers but may have used 1 or 2 of the thin ones but honestly i think i didn't need any.
Last edited by: dannyh: Sep 19, 13 16:34
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [dannyh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So all you used was the wavy washer on the non-drive side correct? If you could double check that would be really helpful. I'm buying the crankset used and all it includes is the wavy washer and nothing else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry but i took it off a couple of months ago and put on a Quarq Riken. Yes i only used the wavy washer on the non drive side and think i did not use any on the drive side. If i did it was maybe 1 or 2 of the really thin ones and I have to think any LBS would have some to give you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got the Shiv Expert. Have a set of 90 MM Chinese carbon rims, what else would you replace from stock, to gain a little on the competition.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [CJAC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CJAC wrote:
Just got the Shiv Expert. Have a set of 90 MM Chinese carbon rims, what else would you replace from stock, to gain a little on the competition.

From a high level perspective some good info from Jim @ ERO Sports here

Bike setup stuff could include

GP4000s tires / latex tubes
Hydration setup to meet your needs
Nutrition / Computer / equipment cleanly setup
Saddle to keep you aero and comfortable
Fit to keep you aero and comfortable

Longer Term - Power Meter & Training with Power
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yoo hayai_240,

Hey, so i think you need just one 1mm washer to make those cranks fit.

I'm out of the office today, but when i get back in on Monday i'll double check for you.

Matt Elmore
Product Marketing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yoo CJAC,

What distances are you racing? That'll give me a better idea of what you'll be carrying and then we can go over specifics.

Matt Elmore
Product Marketing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dannyh wrote:
CJAC wrote:

From a high level perspective some good info from Jim @ ERO Sports here

Bike setup stuff could include

GP4000s tires / latex tubes
Hydration setup to meet your needs
Nutrition / Computer / equipment cleanly setup
Saddle to keep you aero and comfortable
Fit to keep you aero and comfortable

Longer Term - Power Meter & Training with Power

Never thought about latex tubes, have to do that, already run that tire.
trying to use the system on the bike not totally sold, felt like I had to suck hard, use BTA for my Infinit nutrition. Garmin mount hidden by BTA. nothing else on bike, used to have bottle behind sitero for tools, going to pick up fuelcell today.
Saddle is ok, have to get used to it.
Think fit is good.

Hopefully I have a wheel with power coming.

Thanks for the feed back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MattyElmore wrote:
Yoo CJAC,

What distances are you racing? That'll give me a better idea of what you'll be carrying and then we can go over specifics.

Matt Elmore
Product Marketing

Just commented on my set up in the post above.

My A race next year is IM Copenhagen, for that distance on a fairly easy course in the right conditions based on previous races, I should be 21.5+.

Re ally just looking for the cheapest improvements I can make to bike, as far as weight and aero.

FYI, I'm working hard on the machine as well. At 6'8", I'm pretty lean at 220, but plan to get down to 200 for the race.

Thanks for the feed back.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For 2014 Shiv with Electronic and Magnura Brakes. Does the brake lever (on the bullhorn) come with the electronic shift buttons or not? I can't tell by picks. Not sure by online description.

THanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Tell3131] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It does not come with shifters on the brake levers. The 2 I have seen at expos have a satellite shifter for the rear cassette only. Not sure if that is a standard setup or an option the did. I have one on order, so I'll find out when I get it (mid Oct my bike shop says)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [godekjames] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
godekjames wrote:
It does not come with shifters on the brake levers. The 2 I have seen at expos have a satellite shifter for the rear cassette only. Not sure if that is a standard setup or an option the did. I have one on order, so I'll find out when I get it (mid Oct my bike shop says)

Thanks. In my opinion, this is a big problem. I mean, we are spending $11,000 on a bike and the basic function of shifting on the horns (which, let's be honest, is the biggest advantage to electronic shifting) isn't even a factor.

Cervelo P5 has the same problem. I know there is a hack to it, but just be nice to have it all functional from the factory, especially when we are dropping $11,000 or whatever on these super bikes. Magnura brakes are awesome and I like it they went that route, but come on. . give us electronic shifting on the horns too.

Or maybe that will come when these bikes are $15,000. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yoo CJAC,

You got some good advice to start with from dannyh above.

In terms of weight, start with the cockpit. We make an all carbon base bar with carbon extensions, and the adjustability for dialing in your position is bar none.

For aero, there are lots of things you can do. In addition to fit and things like that, i would start with making sure your bike/frame are completely clean of any nutrition or tools. Our SWAT line for tri ensures you have a place for everything without comprosmise. check it out here. I would also suggest looking at aero helmets. Remember not all significant gains come from the bike, the rider is a pretty big factor as well.

Tires are also pretty key as mentioned, you want to look for something with less rolling resistence.

One other thing i'd look at is ceramic speed bearings, we offer these in all our S-Works bikes. This reduces fricition when pedaling.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have anything else, we're always happy to chat.

Thanks,

Matt Elmore
Product Marketing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Matt,

I happen to be currently in the market for a carbon base bar for my Shiv. I've looked at many, but never even thought about checking out yours! I just viewed it over on the Specialized site http://www.specialized.com/...h-aero-stem#features it sure looks like a sweet deal! About half price of the others I've been considering.

But as you can see............it doesn't list a weight or pics from various angles. Could you provide such info please?

Thanks!!

CC

MattyElmore wrote:
Yoo CJAC,

In terms of weight, start with the cockpit. We make an all carbon base bar with carbon extensions, and the adjustability for dialing in your position is bar none.

For aero, there are lots of things you can do. In addition to fit and things like that, i would start with making sure your bike/frame are completely clean of any nutrition or tools. Our SWAT line for tri ensures you have a place for everything without comprosmise. check it out here. I would also suggest looking at aero helmets. Remember not all significant gains come from the bike, the rider is a pretty big factor as well.

Tires are also pretty key as mentioned, you want to look for something with less rolling resistence.

One other thing i'd look at is ceramic speed bearings, we offer these in all our S-Works bikes. This reduces fricition when pedaling.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have anything else, we're always happy to chat.

Thanks,

Matt Elmore
Product Marketing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That would great if you could let me know requiring that 1mm washer
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [ChiroCowboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChiroCowboy wrote:
Hey Matt,

I happen to be currently in the market for a carbon base bar for my Shiv. I've looked at many, but never even thought about checking out yours! I just viewed it over on the Specialized site http://www.specialized.com/...h-aero-stem#features it sure looks like a sweet deal! About half price of the others I've been considering.

But as you can see............it doesn't list a weight or pics from various angles. Could you provide such info please?

Thanks!!

CC

Here you go http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...v%20aerobar;#4685393

-----------------------------------
Swim with swimmers, bike with cyclists, run with runners. Train with those who are hard to keep up with. Soon you will be hard to keep up with.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Tri297] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh sweet!!! Not to hijack the thread..............but are you pleased with it? Looks like an unbelievable price for a unit 100g LESS than the Vuka Stealth!!!

CC

Tri297 wrote:
ChiroCowboy wrote:
Hey Matt,

Thanks!!

CC

Here you go http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...v%20aerobar;#4685393
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [ChiroCowboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like it. I was in doubt about the ski bars as I usually have S bars, but they are very ergo, as in they fit great and are comfy on long rides and I can really pull on them when needed.
My motivation for getting these was that they were made for my bike and they were cheaper than the vuka stealth (which by the way, looks pretty sweet as well) and other models.
I did like the Tri Alpha and off course Craig's pro missile. But yea, money was tight so I got this one, which resulted to be tight as well. xD

-----------------------------------
Swim with swimmers, bike with cyclists, run with runners. Train with those who are hard to keep up with. Soon you will be hard to keep up with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MattyElmore wrote:
Matt Elmore
Product Marketing

Hi everyone - I just wanted you to know that Friction-Facts.com is supposed to release a report soon that details the impact of various bearings types and brands. Their work is independent, exhaustive and referenced by some fairly prominent members of ST.

Be on the lookout!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Tell3131] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in/was in a similar situation and REALLY wanted to get a Shiv w/ electronic shifting (including on the cow horns). I wasn't in the position to drop $10-12k for an S-works and really was hoping to get a Pro with the Ui2 setup ($4,700-7k) on the aerobars and ADD cowhorn/brake lever shifting. I asked my LBS/Specialized dealer and after a few months without success, another LBS called me suggesting the Felt line...2012 B12 w/ DA2 (old) shifters for about $3,700 or 2013 w/ Ui2 (shifters at both locations) for $4k, OR a 2013 DA4 (which kept the bayonet front end) and convert it to Ui2 for a little under $4k.

I went with the DA4 and the shifting is great. I'm still dialing in the fit, but love it overall. One snaffu is my battery is running down quickly (2-3 days) but dealer found out from Shimano today that some of the 5 port modules (necessary for 2 location shifting) were doing this.

I'm due to christen the rig officially on a HIM this weekend, a 200k the following weekend and IM Arizona in November....yee haa!!!

I hated to give up on the Shiv, but was ready to give my 07 Transition a break and got tired of waiting.

http://www.doktirbob.blogspot.com
New Orleans 70.3 2012
AtomicMan 70.3 2013
IM Arizona 2013
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Appreciate the response.

With the carbon cockpit, I can copy the identical position I have with the aluminum cockpit correct?

Bike is completely clean, just need to figure out how to fit all that stuff in fuelcell, do you have a video showing how to pack. I do plan to use the fuselage for water, but planned to carry a bottle of nutrition in BTA, then this will also hide my garmin from the air.

I ride with a Rudy Project helmet.

I actually got upgraded to a S-works frame, but with expert components, so do I already have those bearings? So S works 2013 frame, but with components from 2013 expert, added fuelcell and sitero.

Is there an special type of rim that is optimal for this frame, or is wheelcover on carbon 90 MM with 90 MM deep front fine?

MattyElmore wrote:
Yoo CJAC,

Thanks,

Matt Elmore
Product Marketing
Quote Reply

Prev Next