Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [chad55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi All,

I'm a middle-of-the pack triathlete. I'm planning on using my new Shiv for Ultraman UK. I currently have training wheels on and am looking to upgrade to "aero" wheels. My current two options are. I'm trying to stay between 1k-1200 usd

1] http://www.performancebike.com/...90_-1_400931__400931

2] http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/...on_clincher_wheelset

Thoughts welcome.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [fahmyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fahmyboy wrote:
Hi All,

I'm a middle-of-the pack triathlete. I'm planning on using my new Shiv for Ultraman UK. I currently have training wheels on and am looking to upgrade to "aero" wheels. My current two options are. I'm trying to stay between 1k-1200 usd

1] http://www.performancebike.com/...90_-1_400931__400931

2] http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/...on_clincher_wheelset

Thoughts welcome.

Check eBay and local classifieds. You can get a nice used set of Zipp 404s for around that price range

Quote | Reply
Here is what i found locally. Any suggestions? Should I be sticking with the clincher over tubular?

http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/bik/3971547659.html

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/bik/3959351900.html
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [fahmyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clincher vs. Tubular is really preference, but the question would be if you get a flat during your race are you comfortable and able to change a tubular tire? If the answer is no then stick with clincher. My Tri bike is set up with tubulars (Zipp Disc and HED3c) but my road bike is set up with ENVE clinchers. I mainly focus on Olympic distance races and if I flat then basically my race is done.

Quote | Reply
I found a few similar answers, but I didn't see something this specific in the thread. I didn't read all 50+ pages so I apologize if this has already been answered. I have a 2012 Shiv that I used for tris last year but have only used for short TTs this year (less than 10 miles) that are part of weekend road race omniums. My question is where is the best place to carry a bottle on the bike? To give you background, I mainly want to be able to carry the bottle during the warmup and then in point to point TTs, it would be nice to have it when I'm done. I'm not going to be drinking from it in this short of a TT. I know the best answer is the bladder, but again with it being short and not needing to drink during the ride, I'm wanting to have an actual bottle. My initial thought is to have it tucked under the seat by zip tieing a bottle cage back there. The only other option that would work for me would be on the seat tube, but I would think this would be less aero than under the seat. What does everyone think? Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [ttusomeone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you want something for a warm up, then just use the bladder and keep a bottleat your car for qwhen you finish. If you aren't going to drink it during the race no sense in giving up the aerodynamics. If you must carry a bottle then firstoption would oprobably be between the aero bars and next would be behind the seat. There was an article written a couple months ago about this and most aero way to carry a bottle. Behind the seat makes it very hard to access if you actually do need to use it during a race plus you really open yourself up for drag. I switched mine to between aero bars in the beginning of the year and I can stay in the bars and still remove and drink the bottle.

Quote | Reply
I use the bladder for short races and bottles behind the seat for longer. For the bladder, get a CamelBak tube director so you can route the tube easily. I started using that last race so I could keep the tube in the exact place I wanted and it worked great.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [swimmer04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swimmer04 wrote:
If you want something for a warm up, then just use the bladder and keep a bottleat your car for qwhen you finish.

I think OP was saying for warm-ups and point to point TTs so keeping a bottle in the car for when you finish may not work in the P2P TTs. However, I still agree and would think that a bladder would work... not only for the warm-ups, but after you finish a P2P TT. Unless you are looking for having multiple type drinks (i.e., pre-race electrolyte/cal drink and post-race recovery drink/nice Belgium lager). Not sure how beer works in the bladder, but if someone has tried, I'd be very curious to know how it worked out.

swimmer04 wrote:
If you aren't going to drink it during the race no sense in giving up the aerodynamics. If you must carry a bottle then firstoption would oprobably be between the aero bars and next would be behind the seat. There was an article written a couple months ago about this and most aero way to carry a bottle. Behind the seat makes it very hard to access if you actually do need to use it during a race plus you really open yourself up for drag. I switched mine to between aero bars in the beginning of the year and I can stay in the bars and still remove and drink the bottle.

Also +1 here. If you aren't going to drink during the race AND don't want to use the bladder, then I'd probably go BTA and/or behind the seat. BTA would be nice if you needed a sip just in case vs. BTS. Also, BTA setups are nice for longer races so you might want to consider just going that route in general for future uses.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [ajminn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the information. It seems like the best bet for the shorter ones is to just use the bladder since I'm only using water for those anyway. Thanks for the replies!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [ttusomeone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oh yeah... definitely. I mean if it's just water, i'd even load up the bladder with more ice cubes than water and fill her up. not only do you get cold water at the end of the TT, but....

i'd hypothesize that the thermal transfer cooling the air around the bladder and the frame surrounding the bladder may provide for greater aerodynamics. Even though the colder denser air would cause an increase in drag, the pressure difference with the colder air may provide for increased forward thrust do to pressure differences created by the "cold air spot". But then again, it's been ages since I've taken fluid and thermo.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone have a thought as to whether I'd be a small or med?
Via retul:

Frame stack: 535
Frame reach: 369

Arm pad stack: 628
Arm pad reach: 390 (BB to back of pad)
Arm pad reach: 435 (tip of saddle to back of arm pad)
Saddle Setback: -44

I would like to minimize spacers, if possible. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Trisumai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone seen, received, or been informed about the Fuel Cell's availability? I'd really like to have one before the Augusta 70.3 at the end of September.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [dyarab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been looking like mad too. Also looking for omega SV if any one has the inside scoop on a new shipment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really need one as well. One month ago I was told by my LBS it would be shipped the 3rd week of August. I just called them again to ask if they had a ship date. I'll let you know what they say IF they call me back.
Last edited by: dannyh: Aug 14, 13 12:26
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [dannyh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Sitero Carbon saddle turned up last week and is very comfy, even for a big guy. Used it for a 10m TT over the weekend for the first time and no complaints after changing over from a Adamo Prologue.

The Fuel Cell is ordered and expected this / next week, so something to look forward to soon.

I know it is similar to everyone else's, but here is my bike (without the new saddle):

Sitero Carbon with carbon Zipp bottle cage:

http://www.gsterb.wordpress.com
Last edited by: GsterB: Aug 14, 13 12:38
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [GsterB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where were you able to order the Fuel Cell?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [jbolles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am based in the UK.
My LBS is Noah's Bikes http://www.noahsark.co.uk/bike-shop-c1
They ordered directly through Specialized UK

http://www.gsterb.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [dannyh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dannyh wrote:
I really need one as well. One month ago I was told by my LBS it would be shipped the 3rd week of August. I just called them again to ask if they had a ship date. I'll let you know what they say IF they call me back.

Thanks. I like to support the LBSs in my area but sometimes they are so freaking clueless it makes me wanna hurt them and then myself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same here, I have called multiple bike stores and no one has a clue. Web searches haven't turned up much either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In fairness to the LBS stores, they are typically given a "Early/Mid/Late Month" not anything more specific and Specialized is not the most reliable at shipping by those guidelines. It could ship well before or well after the date available on their dealer site.

Right now what your dealer can see says "Early September"

Some large dealers may get a priority shipment of the Fuelcell (just like some already got the Sitero Carbon)
Last edited by: Bobber: Aug 14, 13 17:26
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Boooo!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an S-Works Shiv and the seat post clamp anchors have dislodged on my bike multiple times. Each time I sent the bike back to Specialized and they fixed the issue, only to have it dislodge again. Here's what I have learned; 1) don't let your bike shop attempt to fix it, as it will void the warranty, and God forbid, don't try to do it yourself; 2) spend the money to have your bike professionally broken down, packed and rebuilt. Let the bike shop send it for you. You don't want that liability with such an expensive bike. 3) When you get the bike back, make sure that it's not built back up with lock tight, as that will really make it hard to break down to travel, etc....Lock tight is the default from the manufacturer. Make sure they grease over all of the parts. (Sports drink spillage does wonders on the bolts).

After being really down on Specialized for this issue, they sent me a new frame - no questions asked with an apology. It was the new frame with new colors. No cost. I love companies that stand behind their products and do what is right for the consumer.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Bobber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the behind the scenes look.

I guess the best was to go is to form a good relationship wit the LBS so they will go the extra mile for you. I live in Dallas and unfortunately have not found the secret formula for getting my local Specialized dealers to do much for me (a >$1000 parts & accessories customer this year alone) than a someone bringing in a Huffy for flat repair..

That makes me appreciate this tread all the more,,, so Thanks ST!

Danny
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Trisumai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you would be a road bike...
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can anyone tell me what type of cadence they used to mount to the bolts in the shiv frame on the rear arm?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [bujayman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's for a di2 battery.
Quote Reply

Prev Next