Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [CakeWalk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CakeWalk wrote:
Sorry for the hideous, busy here at the office.

There is indeed a difference in the frames. SW Model uses a carbon layup that is around 150g lighter than the Pro/Expert/Comp frame. Stiffness testing in the lab showed very little difference in the overall stiffness between frames. Sine there is so much carbon being used, both frames are extremely laterally rigid, absolutely no need to fret losing power from frame or BB flex.

Another very notable change in spec from the Pro to the Exper/Comp bikes is the carbon aerobar shared by the SW/Pro bike and the Alloy bar shared by the Expert/Comp bikes. Both bars offer an enormous range of adjustment allowing the fitter to raise the armpad and extension 50mm in 5mm increments. Additionally, the armpads can be placed so they are anywhere fore/aft on the extension and can be moved 9cm in width adjustment.

The Carbon bar comes with an integrated aero stem allowing for adjustment of a 60mm or 90mm stem with the adjustment of a small wedge while the allow bar uses a standard stem.

Hope that answers the question, sorry for the delay odin99!

CakeWalk wrote:

The weight savings are the biggest thing. The SW Frame is around 1/2lb lighter than the pro frame. When designing the layup (order in which the different sheets of carbon are applied) the SW frame is able to use higher modulus, stiffer fibers that tend to cost more cash. The pro frame has similar stiffness but needs to use more sheets of less stiff carbon to achieve the same ride characteristics. As a result the thin wall tubes of the SW frame tend to flex more and provide a slightly smoother ride than what you will find in the pro frame.

ha, not that anyone is saying a deep section aero tube rides smooth!!! if you really want a smooth ride go throw your leg over a Roubaix!!!

sorry if i'm misinterpreting something, but there seems to be a conflict in your statements here Chris - 1/2lb is 450g which is quite a bit more than 150g!
what is the actual typical weight difference between s-works and pro framesets - in medium size?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [pk1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1/2 pound is more like 225 grams which is closer to 150 grams.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doh, math fail! thanks, thought i must be missing something...
so really no point in going s-works other than the "prestige" of it
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Schulbub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi, I want to remove the bosses from my shiv fork! Is it possible? And how to do? I want to mount the shimano BR6810?
Thanks
Marco
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [eodeeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No one ever answered the questions about shimano Brakes... but i found french forum and a guy has found a handmade solution http://www.veloptimal.com/....php?f=2&t=53520 the pictures show that he handcrafted an insert to reduce the m8 to m6 to fit the shimano brakes. He removed the fixes for the TBR
Last edited by: ogni: Dec 15, 14 12:47
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [ogni] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Question for other Shiv owners: How afraid are you of removing your seatpost? I'm racing out of state this coming season and have started looking at options for shipping, carrying on, etc. I found a nice case that I could use to carry the bike on, but it would require me to lower/remove the seatpost. In the 12 months I've had my Shiv, I've never touched the seatpost clamp and have been afraid to because of the problems Specialized has had with the frame cracking. Just wondering if anyone else is in the same position.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [dprocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dprocket wrote:
Question for other Shiv owners: How afraid are you of removing your seatpost? I'm racing out of state this coming season and have started looking at options for shipping, carrying on, etc. I found a nice case that I could use to carry the bike on, but it would require me to lower/remove the seatpost. In the 12 months I've had my Shiv, I've never touched the seatpost clamp and have been afraid to because of the problems Specialized has had with the frame cracking. Just wondering if anyone else is in the same position.

When is your race? If not right around the corner, loosen the bolts and check it out. Make sure to tighten to specs with an accurate torque wrench. Also, don't tighten one side and then go to the next….do a little at a time. If it fails, head the LBS and let them deal with it.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NeverEnough wrote:
dprocket wrote:

When is your race? If not right around the corner, loosen the bolts and check it out. Make sure to tighten to specs with an accurate torque wrench. Also, don't tighten one side and then go to the next….do a little at a time. If it fails, head the LBS and let them deal with it.

Alcatraz...so...I have time to tinker with it. I'll check it out. I guess if there is a time to be without my bike, it would be now...
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [dprocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW Ive made several adjustments on mine but I only do increments of 1/2 turn with the allen wrench at a time and alternate from bolt to bolt. This was before I read of the problems people were having. I probably would have been more hesitant had I known. I used a small hand allen wrench so it probably helped prevent me from over torqueing it. Make sure you know the specs.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [der.kommissar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have used the bubble wrap method as well for over 12 months without any issue at all. It works fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Mark,

Is it possible to mount stock 2013 SHIV brakes on a 2014 SHIV pro?
The 2014 SHIV pro does not have the brake mounts (bolts) in the fork because it comes with Magura's.

I have tried removing the mounts from the 2013 SHIV pro but not sure if these should come off, they are not looseing easy and I dont want to force it.
So, stock brakes from a 2013 SHIV pro, on a 2014 SHIV pro that came with magura's and without the mounts on the fork.

Thanks in advance.

Daniel.

-----------------------------------
Swim with swimmers, bike with cyclists, run with runners. Train with those who are hard to keep up with. Soon you will be hard to keep up with.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Tri297] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes these can be removed and replaced. Canti studs and the accompanying brakes are all that's needed. The frames are the same.

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Specialized Bicycle Components
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MITaerobike wrote:
Yes these can be removed and replaced. Canti studs and the accompanying brakes are all that's needed. The frames are the same.
Mark

Thanks for the quick response Mark. I will have my dealer transfer the studs from the 2013 frame to the 2014. Daniel.

-----------------------------------
Swim with swimmers, bike with cyclists, run with runners. Train with those who are hard to keep up with. Soon you will be hard to keep up with.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [justablur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justablur wrote:
Anyone know what to do when the Allen head screw that holds the cover to the water fuselage just spins. It won't loosen up at all. LBS said that I have to strip frame and send it back to specialized to repair.

Okay I'm just bumping this spinning fuelselage nut issue again. I took it to the LBS and they got it open so I can use the bladder again. Apparently to replace the nut it has to go back to specialized. I only use the top/screw when I travel so it's not an immediate issue. But I'm wondering has anybody gone this route with success?

Thanks - Amy
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Miamiamy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi All, Just bought my first shiv (and first tri bike) and super excited.
I will be competing in 1/2 and full ironman events.
It is a new 2014 frame with older used components.

Was planning on changing the bars
The Aerobars and extensions are currently
  • Base bars - used Profile Design T2 Wing
  • Bar Extension - used Profile Design T4

Are the original specialized bars a good way to go?
I have found a set for $350 instead of $575

If you were new to tri bikes and shivs, what aerobars (under $450) would you use?

Thanks! -- Steven

Last edited by: intown: Jan 9, 15 10:24
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [intown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I need to replace the bar tape on my 14 Shiv Expert. What would the closest replacement be?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [loutriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Literally anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mark et al,

Where is everyone putting the Di2 Junction box on their Shiv? Running Shimano Pro Missile stem and bars. Adding the brake shifters so just checking.

Mark, for the windtunnel, you seeing any major diffences putting the junction box over or under the stem? I see Crowie had it above on his stem.

Thanks
Thanks all.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Tony5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriRig stem looks like a great solution...
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [BocaIvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BocaIvan wrote:

Yeah.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [BocaIvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BocaIvan wrote:

Does the 3 or 5 port junction fit in the TriRig stem?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [intown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would have liked to find the original for 350.- bought it new and for me it was important that it fits best with the shiv and its so versatile to adjust... i liked that most that i can mount the bars in small increments and also the widths of the armpads
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [IronSnowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IronSnowman wrote:
BocaIvan wrote:

Yes, either can fit, but you need to file down the tabs on the bottom where the stock rubber strap attaches. Otherwise they're just slightly too tall to fit under the Sigma's stem cover. And of course, the two port '67 junction fits no problem.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriRig wrote:
IronSnowman wrote:
BocaIvan wrote:

Yes, either can fit, but you need to file down the tabs on the bottom where the stock rubber strap attaches. Otherwise they're just slightly too tall to fit under the Sigma's stem cover. And of course, the two port '67 junction fits no problem.

Thanks Nick.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Nick. I guess I'll finally be placing that order for the Alpha/Gamma/Sigma/BTA mount combo I've been wanting.
Quote Reply

Prev Next