Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [CJAC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With the Carbon Cockpit you'll be able to copy the identical position over.

Have you seen the wing that fits on the back of the sitero? it fights in between the tripod (that integration piece that holds the bottle cage) and the Cage itself. you can find it here. it can hold either a CO2 with a head, and a pit stop or it comes with a roulette that will hold two CO2 instead of the pit stop. you can also carry a small hand pump (pictured) instead of a single CO2 with a head.

If you have an S-Works frame then yes, you should have ceramic speed bearings in the BB.

You're wheelcover with a 90mm up front is fine. We did a bit of testing with a wheelcover because we were curious as well, the wheelcover tested pretty well.

Hope that helps.

Matt Elmore
Specialized Bicycle Components
Product Marketing
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [doktirbob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
im not sure this is necessary in this thread.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
have you guys tested the fuel cell in the "win tunnel"? I'm curious as to what the impact might be in cross winds (aero and stability). I did a test ride over the weekend in high winds and it seemed ok (808 rear, 404 front, fuel cell in the middle). I still got blown all over the place but not more than usual.

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark,

I got a Shiv Expert this past July, and I'm loving it. I've got the fit dialed in really well and just making some small, super incremental improvements to lower drag. I can say that I've had my own "Holy Shiv" experiences; at age 45 with the SHIV, I've gotten 4th fastest overall split at an HIM in Aug (fastest for 40 and over), 2nd place at the AZ state TT championships in 45-49 last weekend, and the fastest split in my age group (10th overall of over 500 plus ag athletes) at this weekend's Lifetime tri tempe. I'm still getting faster, hopefully.

I have some questions, if you don't mind??

1. Would using the pro stem with carbon aero bars lower drag vs. the standard set setup on the Expert?

2. I do HIM events and the Leadman 125, and an Oly per year, a few TT's (haven't graduated to IM, nor any plans at the moment), during a bike leg, I just fill the bladder with my hydration and have 1 bottle below the seat, Craig Alexander style, ziptied to the rails. I put an energy bar in my trisuit back pocket. Looking at the new fuelcel, does it make sense to use the cell from an aero standpoint, even though I may not be filling it with goodies. Does it smooth airflow over the frame or reduce drag vs. not having that area filled?

Thanks
Last edited by: tomspharmacy: Sep 24, 13 14:26
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [tomspharmacy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just picked one up last week. Simple install (however do not expect to get everything in your saddle bag in the bottom of the fuel cell. I had to put the co2 head and tire levers in the top part, where your nutrition is suppose to go). Other than that and the fact that is doesn't mate well at all with the downtube (I'd guess it's close to a full centimeter away on my large frame), I really like it.

I rode with it long Saturday and my regular 40k tt on Monday. I experienced unusually mild winds for Oklahoma on both rides, so I can't yet speak on how it handles crosswinds. But my average on my long ride (95) was higher than it's been all summer AND i pr'd on my 40k! The box claims it's saving 5w at 40k, and I'd imagine you're getting something close to that by removing the saddle bag. So..........10w for $80??? Pretty damn good deal if you ask me!

CC
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [ChiroCowboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Need some help. I have had two Shivs. Currently on the 2013 S-Works Shiv. I replaced the stock ski tip extensions with Zipp s bend extensions with the integrated R2C shifters. My issue is that the tips of the extensions are too far apart from each other. I want to get the tips of the extensions closer together. Anyone know of a way to do that? I have been told that Specialized does not make different brackets for the extensions that allow you to move them closer together. That was the option I was going to try.....other option would be some s bend extensions that come closer together at the shifter end....like the stock ski tips do. Any ideas? Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was wondering if anyone here has experience with the fit of the Shiv TT, and could recommend a size for me. My old TT bike was a Cervelo P3, and it was my first TT bike. I finally got the position figured out, and then it was destroyed after my friend crashed it. It was a 52cm P3, and I ran a lot of drop on it. I actually used a much longer seatpost off of my S2 to get the it to work with this frame. I have long legs, and arms with a short torso, and I am very flexible. It makes for a need to get the front as low as possible, so it looks like the Shiv TT is my only option. The Tri version just has too tall of head tubes. I'm assuming the geometry hasn't changed on the Shiv TT since the 2012 version. The current Shiv TT on the website doesn't show the geometry listed. So I am going off of the 2012 info listed here:

http://www.specialized.com/...hivttmodule#geometry

The only geometry info I could find for my old P3 is here:

http://crxbart.com/cycling/p3geometry

This lists using the forward position on the seatpost, and according to Cervelo's specs on the P3 SL using the rearward position adds about 20mm to the top tube length. According to that, the numbers just don't seem to jive. I had to use the rearward position, which seems close to the Shiv anyway. I have knee problems if I position myself too far forward. I am 5'10", and by going off of some pro rider's heights. I am thinking a size small, or medium would be best. I know Ablerto Contador is 5'9", and rides a XS, and Vino was the same height, and used one of the larger sizes. The only way I can tell is that Alberto clearly uses the XS with the dropped top tube. I don't want my knees any closer to the bars, it was kind of a liability as is with the setup I had if I got out of the saddle to climb. The shorter head tube of the XS would be nice, but I think I can do the S, or M with the pads mounted the lowest, and under mount the aero extensions. Any help you Shiv fit gurus can give me would be great. I plan to use this bike for TT's, and I am planning to do a few Tris, as well, and potentially an IM. Thanks in advance. Here is a pic of my old bike fit for reference:

edit: I was also using a 90mm -17deg stem, if that helps. I realize the Shiv stem is only 75mm.
Last edited by: Professor Chaos: Sep 25, 13 10:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChiroCowboy wrote:
I just picked one up last week. Simple install (however do not expect to get everything in your saddle bag in the bottom of the fuel cell. I had to put the co2 head and tire levers in the top part, where your nutrition is suppose to go). Other than that and the fact that is doesn't mate well at all with the downtube (I'd guess it's close to a full centimeter away on my large frame), I really like it.

I rode with it long Saturday and my regular 40k tt on Monday. I experienced unusually mild winds for Oklahoma on both rides, so I can't yet speak on how it handles crosswinds. But my average on my long ride (95) was higher than it's been all summer AND i pr'd on my 40k! The box claims it's saving 5w at 40k, and I'd imagine you're getting something close to that by removing the saddle bag. So..........10w for $80??? Pretty damn good deal if you ask me!

CC

Send me a picture of how it fit on your frame. There's a spacer included (looks like an alloy barbell) that's made to space the mount off so the Fuelcell sits directly on the DT. This is needed on M, L, & XL Shiv frames.

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

And that IS with the spacer installed.

CC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine is the exact same and every picture I have seen with the pro's that have them is the same as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Professor Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am 5'11 with a long torso and I fit a Medium perfectly so I would think a Small might fit you best.

The base bar sweeps forward to there is plenty of room for your knees. I don't find it a problem. If you can get it so the pads are on the base bar I would be impressed! I can't physically cycle it with the pads that low, my knees hit my chest. For reference the base bar is the same level as my road bike's drops (a Tarmac with no spacers under the stem) so pretty low.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Professor Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yoo Professor Chaos,

The GEO hasn't changed on the Shiv TT.

I'm 5'10 as well, with a saddle height of 77cm (middle of bottom bracket to middle of seat) with fairly long arms and a shorter torso. I was on a MED Shiv for a while completely slammed, and have recently sized down to a SMALL slammed and my position is better and the set up actually feels more comfortable. i haven't had any problems hitting the knees with climbing either and i run the 90mm stem, but we do have an after market stem for the Shiv that is 110mm or 80mm stem.

I would suggest going to you LBS and trying a SMALL Shiv before going the Shiv TT route.

let me know if you have anymore questions.

Matt Elmore
Product Marketing
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey robgray,

We have tested the fuelcell in the wind tunnel.

In terms of stability in cross winds it was unaffected, since there is already a lot of movement going on in that area the sail affect was non exsistent.

In terms of aero in cross winds, the total savings at a high YAW angel was no more than 1 watt. at most other angels it was like using the bare frame (no affect).

i'll try to grab a graph and throw it up on here.

Matt Elmore
Product Marketing
Last edited by: MattyElmore: Sep 26, 13 9:41
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [MattyElmore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
About 1 month until my IM. I NEED the reserve rack!! Any idea when I can get my hands on one? Does it matter what cage you use with it....do you have to use the Specialized cage? Also....is the wing that is referenced on the site (but pic looks the same) the piece that comes with the Sitero for hanging on the transition rail? Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MattyElmore wrote:
Hey robgray,

We have tested the fuelcell in the wind tunnel.

In terms of stability in cross winds it was unaffected, since there is already a lot of movement going on in that area the sail affect was non exsistent.

In terms of aero in cross winds, the total savings at a high YAW angel was no more than 1 watt. at most other angels it was like using the bare frame (no affect).

i'll try to grab a graph and throw it up on here.

Matt Elmore
Product Marketing

Thanks Matt - that's great!

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey NeverEnough,

The reserve rack is the piece that clamps onto the back of any saddle to hold a cage or the wing and a cage.[/img]

The Wing is the piece that holds either a CO2 w/ head and pit stop, or pump with pit stop, OR it has a roulette that the threaded ends of CO2 screw into.[/img]

The Tripod is the integrated piece that screws into the bottom of the Sitero.[/img]

Lot's going on here, so i'll post some pictures in a minute.

Matt Elmore
Product Marketing
Last edited by: MattyElmore: Sep 26, 13 10:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MattyElmore wrote:
Hey NeverEnough,

The reserve rack is the piece that clamps onto the back of any saddle to hold a cage or the wing and a cage.[/img]

The Wing is the piece that holds either a CO2 w/ head and pit stop, or pump with pit stop, OR it has a roulette that the threaded ends of CO2 screw into.[/img]

The Tripod is the integrated piece that screws into the bottom of the Sitero.[/img]

Lot's going on here, so i'll post some pictures in a minute.

Matt Elmore
Product Marketing

Thanks Matt!! Very helpful. Just to be clear...if I have a Sitero, I do not need the reserve rack, I just need the wing...correct? btw...the one on your desk looks bored. It would probably have more fun on the back of my S-Works Shiv!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No Worries.

If you have the Sitero, you DO NOT need the reserve rack, just the wing.

Haha, it probably looks bored because my awesome S-Works Turbo Tires never flat (insert awesome product push here)...

Enjoy

-Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [hayai_240] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey hayai_240,

So, if you read the instructions that came with the crank this might be a bit more clear, but i'll try to hit on what you need to do for this.

You basically just need to put enough of those plastic rings in so that wavey spacer is almost flat and not wavey anymore. If you flatten the wavey washer you have too many ring spacers in there. each frame is different because of the tolerance, this is the case with ANY COMPANIES carbon frames. so you might only need to use one or you might need to use 3.

Does that make sense at all?

Thanks,

-Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Matt,
I'm on a Shiv Comp and am breaking the pivot bolts where the extensions mount to the base bar. You had posted a couple weeks ago there was a kit to get rid of the pivot and mount directly to the base bar. Do you have the patt number and can you show me a pic how it installs?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [fasth2o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Images attached below.

i sent you a PM with Part number[/img][/img]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good Info Matt. I like that direct mount for the aerobars too. Good info about the stem too. I didn't know they were available in different sizes. Those both might help with my low position I like to run. Even with the Shiv TT in any size except XS the frame stack is still 12mm higher than my old P3. From looking at the numbers it looks like the TT is going to be the way to go for me. I may have to see if anyone has one in stock locally I can try. I definitely need to figure things out before making the purchase. I just started my first day at the distribution center in Groveport, Ohio today, and I found a bunch of Shivs on the shelves, and we have a few demos sitting around, but the demos all look to be larger sizes. I definitely need to get a Shiv though. It seems a bit off color to be riding bikes with é's on the head tubes nowadays.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well that answers one of my questions before I asked it. Would you pm me that part number too? I assume the back end still allows internal routing?

Also, one of the seat tube cage bolts won't screw in all the way anymore, just noticed it when I was putting everything in race mode. Gets almost all the way down but stops tightening; is there an easy fix for that?

Abell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Matt. I've been waiting for a response and never got one to the part number for these. Was wondering if you could help?

Quote:
these are the low stack clamps for the Shiv. They work on the alloy and carbon Shiv bars (not Shiv TT). They've been available for about 1 year as an aftermarket and service item though of course many shops don't stock them.
The reduce the stack of the extensions by 19mm so it's almost like going to a smaller sized bike with the same stack. The only downside is that you lose the ability to do angle adjust on the extensions.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [tenzo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Tenzo,

Here you go! You'll have to hit up your LBS for these, as these are the service part numbers.

S140800002
BAR MY11-14 SHIV LOW STACK AEROBAR CLAMP LEFT
S140800003
BAR MY11-14 SHIV LOW STACK AEROBAR CLAMP RIGHT

Cheers bud,

-Matt
Quote Reply

Prev Next