Hey JG,

These are the bolts you need to use.

Matt Elmore
Specialized Bicycle Components
Product Marketing
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [MattyElmore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have stock 2013 shiv comp small, which I believe comes with FSA Gossamer BB30. Anyway at a recent race the dust cover fell off and I couldn't find it. My LBS can't seem to get a replacement from specialized (they sent one but it was too big) and the FSA rep says that losing it is pretty common and also can't come up a replacement. I understand it's more than just a dust cover, so I would like to try track one down. Can anyone help?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [shep_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i think i know what you are talking about.

Can you snap a shot just so i'm sure.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [MattyElmore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Matty,

why are parts like the Shiv 37.5mm setback seatpost, the carbon aerobar or the Aerostem only sold in the USA?

Here in Germany, it's extremely difficult to get a hold of those. E.g., I would probably benefit from the 37.5mm setback seatpost, as I can't get the Sitero far enough forward on the 12.5mm setback seatpost. But no German Specialized dealer can order it and Specialized USA won't ship internationally.

It's somewhat hard to understand that I can buy a Shiv here, but will then be deprived of some after market components by the same company.

Greetings from the German Wine Route,
Roland
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [RolandG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know this isn't the first time it has been an issue, but I have a 2012 Shiv Com Rival the has developed some serious demons in the BB. What is the best solution? My LBS (doest carry Shivs) say that replacing the press fit BB bearings is the only solution. Thoughts? Preferably from the Specialized crew on here for feed back
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [changums] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know if the "fuelcell" that Jordan rapp used in Hawaii will be available for sale and if so when?
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [changums] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The clicking conversation was a few pages back. http://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

I just used loctite which was recommended for the same problem but I cant remember which kind it was. I let it cure for 24 hours and no issues but it was a new build for me so i dont know if there were any issues before i get it. In any event you might try that first and go onto the more extreme method mentioned in the hyperlink.
Last edited by: dannyh: Jun 20, 13 7:42
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [dannyh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also has the same peoblem with my Shiv and its a brand new comp rival got in Febuary. The click noise is awful and lasted the whole time during IMTX last month, and started to hear it a month before that every so often, now its every ride. I keep waiting for something to break. I have talked to the shop I work with a specialized dealer and they have no idea. Its pretty annoying because you hear it now ever time you ride, and want to get it fixed. Can someone from Specialized let us know whats going on here. Seems to be a common trend on the tread and let us know what they say to do to fix. Hate thinking something might break one of these times while I am out riding or that I might do some damage to the bike because it isnt fixed. Thanks and looking to hear back from you guys at Specialized.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Jack French] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a recommendation to validate it's not a different issue: I had what I believed was the same problem, but what I noticed when I was out of saddle no more clicking. Mine turned out to be the seat post rubbing carbon on carbon. I now apply "Finish Line Fiber Grip" monthly to seat post clamp area...no more problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it’s interesting your LBS does not know anything about it… Did they actually call Specialized support? The reason I ask is that my LBS (Richardson Bike Mart) offered this up on my 1st conversation with them. Now mind you RBS is a huge and BUSY shop but the 1st mechanic I talked to showed me the specific brand and model "3M Scotch Weld - Epoxy Adhesive DP-420" and indicated it was recommended by Specialized. Now that guy could have been wrong or made it up but he was adamant that it was the solution Specialized recommended for addressing the Shiv creaking problem.
My attempt at avoiding this was using Loctite (which was not done at a Specialized dealer). It was applied right before the bearings were pressed in and added 90 seconds to the standard install time. I was told not to ride it for 24 hour so it could cure and have had no issues. You might want to consider giving that a shot before even considering the 3M Scotch Weld - Epoxy Adhesive DP-420 solution which seems much more permanent.

Also good point on the carbon paste!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jack French wrote:
I also has the same peoblem with my Shiv and its a brand new comp rival got in Febuary. The click noise is awful and lasted the whole time during IMTX last month, and started to hear it a month before that every so often, now its every ride. I keep waiting for something to break. I have talked to the shop I work with a specialized dealer and they have no idea. Its pretty annoying because you hear it now ever time you ride, and want to get it fixed. Can someone from Specialized let us know whats going on here. Seems to be a common trend on the tread and let us know what they say to do to fix. Hate thinking something might break one of these times while I am out riding or that I might do some damage to the bike because it isnt fixed. Thanks and looking to hear back from you guys at Specialized.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but, in my case, a mechanic at my LBS (Mike's Bikes in San Jose, CA) was able to determine that two of three "balls" in the FSA cranks were missing. He said it must've been an oversight during factory assembly. He installed the missing balls and the knocking sound disappeared. You might call Mike's Bikes at 408-295-2453 and ask to speak to the mechanic. His name is Tri.
Last edited by: K_Man: Jun 21, 13 13:49
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Racing Yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Racing Yoda wrote:
I had a weird issue today getting my Shiv ready to race. I had not been using the bladder so I had the cover with screw in. I was prepping the bladder and tried to remove the screw to put the bladder in and the screw turns but does not come out, i.e. stripped. In the past, I have only removed the screw once for the bladder and put it in a few months back but nothing since then. Anyone have any suggestions on how to remove it? I am sure I can gorilla my way through it but I would like to avoid that so I can have future use. I still have the second screw which came with the bike so I can use that after. Anyone with any thoughts?

I have the same problem now. In Mont Tremblant and I'm prepping for tomorrow's full course ride. Went to put the bladder in but the screw in the current bladder cover is stripped. Any work around?..
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Mvitale24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
None. I had to very delicately remove that cover. In the process I destroyed it but I can now put in the bladder. The screw needs to be in for the bladder so no performance loss. To get fixed you have to send to Specialized. I will send mine in after the season. Once I got over that there was no real issue or performance loss I have been fine with it. If you want ideas to remove the cap let me know.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [campled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks@

Just did the same.. I'm going to test the setup tomorrow :)

Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Racing Yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Racing Yoda wrote:
None. I had to very delicately remove that cover. In the process I destroyed it but I can now put in the bladder. The screw needs to be in for the bladder so no performance loss. To get fixed you have to send to Specialized. I will send mine in after the season. Once I got over that there was no real issue or performance loss I have been fine with it. If you want ideas to remove the cap let me know.

Ugh. I like everything to work perfectly...always.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Mvitale24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm definitely the same. I came to terms with it eventually. No use worrying about it since it will not hurt performance.

Good luck with your race.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the problem is that the bolt they use needs to be mild steel because the bladder is held in place by a magnet (stainless is less magnetic). Obviously we all need to keep an eye on this.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [coxy_in_nz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speaking of bladder caps, does anyone not sue theirs and wants to give/sell it to me?? I don't use the bladder often and lost my cap. LBS said Specialized doesn't have any spare caps so they'd have to take it off a bike, which means that bike would be cap-less. Seems odd that there isn't a spare one laying around their HQ/warehouse, but who am I to say otherwise. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [jamlo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Noob here with a quick question. I just bought a new Shiv Expert but want to upgrade the wheels - I'm running 404's on my S-Works Venge but those are a little too expensive to get past my wife twice in one year....any thoughts on the Zipp 60 Clinchers? Other recommendations? As I am new to triathlons, there is going to be a whole mess of stuff to buy (different pedals, different shoes, different clothes, etc.) so I'm trying to be reasonable. The Venge was a custom build...so you can imagine how reasonable I must be...

Off to Colorado on Monday to acclimate for the Triple By Pass on the 13th. World of pain with wonderful views.

2013 Shiv Expert/Dura Ace, 2013 S-Works Venge/Red, Zipp 404 FC's, 2008 S-Works Stumpjumper/XO, CB Cobalt, 2006 Scott Ransom10/XO.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Singletrack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
why don't you use the 404s you already have?
you can only ride one bike at a time
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Redog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thought of that....but not sure it will work...the Venge has a full SRAM Red set up including the cassette (11-28). Replacing the brake pads on the Shiv to Zipp Tangente Platinums would be easy enough, but I'm not sure the SRAM cassette will work with the Dura Ace 7900 rear derailleur. If it does, might be wise to upgrade the Shimano 105 chain to a SRAM chain.

Anyone here using a mixed SRAM/Shimano set up? Just wondering if it affects the shifting at all.

2013 Shiv Expert/Dura Ace, 2013 S-Works Venge/Red, Zipp 404 FC's, 2008 S-Works Stumpjumper/XO, CB Cobalt, 2006 Scott Ransom10/XO.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [CAnderson_SBC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey everyone! Does anyone know what aftermarket brakeset I could use for my 2012 Expert? I hear Shimano BR-9010
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Singletrack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cassette change takes 2min and the pads have to be done only once. no need to get a different chain. get a disc with the $$$ you save
i switch from campii record to red on my tri bike all the time. takes 5 min as i have to change the free hub body as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Redog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Redog wrote:
why don't you use the 404s you already have?
you can only ride one bike at a time

+1... I have two sets of different wheels because you can exchange them between your road and Tri bikes.. why get two sets of the same wheels lol.

Get a deeper rim for your second set.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [125mph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, my thought was to get Zipp 60 Clinchers for the Shiv....I don't see myself going for the 808's....of the two bikes, the Venge is the lighter, quicker one - it would keep it's 404's....arguably, I'm an endurance and crit rider first....the whole triathlon thing is just a new challenge for a challenge junkie... ;-)

But...if the SRAM cassette that is on the rear 404 will work with the Dura Ace mech, them I'd be happy with that. I could use the DT swiss wheel set for regular training ride on the Shiv and use the 404's when I compete.

Quote Reply

Prev Next