Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [powertap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
powertap wrote:
Would you be willing to post a screen shot or email me directly at jbartholomew@powertap.com

Thanks

Jamaican wrote:
Jesse,

I'm having an issue with the heart rate zones in Power Agent. I did a 20 minute interval where my HR went from 145 to 175 increasing steadily. The information is shown correctly on the graphs. However, the HR Zone Tab does not display the data properly. It reads 93.7% (18:44) at 174-250 bpm. Is there a fix for this?

Any luck?

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [paull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply. spoke to Paligap UK, and they said it would need to go back to be recalibrated again.
They mentioned that it seems to be an issue between the Garmin 800 and Powertap when calibrating. And suggested not calibrating before each ride as I have being doing and making sure the auto zero setting is on.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [alwynj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alwynj wrote:
Thanks for the reply. spoke to Paligap UK, and they said it would need to go back to be recalibrated again.
They mentioned that it seems to be an issue between the Garmin 800 and Powertap when calibrating. And suggested not calibrating before each ride as I have being doing and making sure the auto zero setting is on.

I'm gonna pm you but basically I don't think there's anything wrong with your Garmin !
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone switch between a Shimano and Campy freehub on your PowerTap? If so, how difficult/bothersome/etc. is it to switch? I would be switching over and back maybe six to ten times a year if I went this route.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently purchased a G3 through WheelBuilder and am using it with my FR310XT. Is there some sort of Getting Started documentation? Specifically, I'd like to know:
1) Should I update the firmware or should it be good to go out of the box.
2) Do I need to run through the calibrate step before every ride?

A lot of the posts in this thread make sense but I feel like I'm missing the first basic steps. I've tried to google this subject as well as search the forum but I'm coming up empty.

One thing that has me puzzled is that I compared two rides over the same 46 mi route, one week apart. My avg power onthis week's ride was 27 watts higher but I was only 2 minutes faster. There was more wind which could have accounted for this but I'm not sure.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Jesse,

I am happy to say that I went ahead and purchased the newer g3, I also purchased the Joule-non-GPS and some sensors and a powercal, The powercal is working great, one of the sensors is working-the other one is not. The hub is working great, however, the Joule started acting up. I cam home from my first ride with it, and as I was coming in the door ot showed the low battery symbol, I said fine, I'll put in a new battery, I did that-it was still having the same issue, I pressed AC, i tried reset a/l bootloader, but it could not find the device. To top that off, it is now showing Memory full, I have it cleared, there are no rides on it. it is showing up in poweragent as having 25.5 hrs of rides, when I go in to download-there is nothing there, I thought maybe if I went in there it would give me the option to clear it that way, no ride showing up.

I cleared it from the Joule itself, but it still shows up on the screen as memory full.

I am very frustrated, I do appreciate the customer service ye offer, but to ring from Ireland, costs a lot and I was on to Jamie in Tech support for nearly 2 hours trying to locate files that were not importing into the new version of poweragent, he was able to get me sorted, but what am I gonna do about this Joule now? I have a race tomorrow and was hoping to use it.....I see there were a few other people with similar issues, were they able to sort it? I really don't want to be without a computer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello,

I would need a replacement for the battery holder of my wired PT.
From the website it looks like I cannot use one of the newest one (for SL+ etc).
Could you please let me know what is the model and where I can find it?
Thanks in advance
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Joe Public] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Joe Public wrote:
Does anyone switch between a Shimano and Campy freehub on your PowerTap? If so, how difficult/bothersome/etc. is it to switch? I would be switching over and back maybe six to ten times a year if I went this route.

I have the generation before the current G3 generation and I do it all the time. It's much easier than taking a cassette on and off. Just remove the end cap, slide the cassette+freehub off, slide the new one on, and pop the end cap back on. Rock and roll.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 2 month old G3 hub that I've been riding paired to a Garmin 910. It had been working without issues. This morning, I attempted to ride and the calibration screen came on like usual, and the calibration was around 506 like usual. However, no power was ever displayed or recorded when I attempted to ride. I tried again at re-calibrating, and no change. I also moved the Garmin around just to make sure it was close enough to the hub. I still could not see power on the Garmin. I've attempted hard resetting the Garmin, but that did not resolve the issue. Is there another step that might fix this problem?

I've searched the thread & the web, but I haven't seen an answer to this.... If i missed it, just point me to the right post. thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [krull_etc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New battery for the hub.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Joe Public] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Joe Public wrote:

Very easy, 20 seconds! Pull out the freehub and replace the other.

Walter
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [cjbruin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cjbruin wrote:
I recently purchased a G3 through WheelBuilder and am using it with my FR310XT. Is there some sort of Getting Started documentation? Specifically, I'd like to know:
1) Should I update the firmware or should it be good to go out of the box.
2) Do I need to run through the calibrate step before every ride?

A lot of the posts in this thread make sense but I feel like I'm missing the first basic steps. I've tried to google this subject as well as search the forum but I'm coming up empty.

One thing that has me puzzled is that I compared two rides over the same 46 mi route, one week apart. My avg power onthis week's ride was 27 watts higher but I was only 2 minutes faster. There was more wind which could have accounted for this but I'm not sure.

Thanks!

Not sure if you ever heard back on this but you should be good to go out of the box. People can get a little crazy with the firmware updates. I mean, it won't hurt anything if you do it but I've had mine for well over a year now and haven't updated it yet. Should I? Maybe. But if it ain't broke. I also have a PT Pro that I can not update myself. It is working fine too.

Regarding calibration, I calibrate mine before every ride. Why not? It takes 30 seconds and you can make sure everything is working.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Mr. October] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zeroing, which makes sure only that 0 torque is 0 torque. That isn't everything. =)

Updating your firmware would help make sure more things are working though!

Mr. October wrote:
Regarding calibration, I calibrate mine before every ride. Why not? It takes 30 seconds and you can make sure everything is working.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Burnt Toast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thank you. that was it. With it being so new and still alive enough for the Garmin to see it, I didn't even think of a battery being the issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [krull_etc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been having trouble with my g3 readings on my joule, today I did a race and the average wattage was 233 on one joule and 212 on my joule GPS, that's quite a difference...... anyone know why this would be occurring? I was wearing a powercal HR strap, and the HR readings were fine, I checked that the power averaging is every 5 seconds on both joules....... anyone? thanks......
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [irishpat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you upload both rides and look at them closely?

Without doing so myself, I'd guess that the lower wattage unit has some missing data points and more zero readings, probably an interference issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah it has some missing data Alrite- good thinking, thanks. Any idea what would cause it to miss from one computer and not another?
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [irishpat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm only guessing here but it may have to do with where its mounted on the bike. Some guys say that a 910xt has problems receiving data when its worn on the wrist and not mounted to the bars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine was in my rear pocket..... I'll try again tomorrow, may have been overhead lines....???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Jesse,

I changed my batteries in my PT Elite + because my Garmin wouldn't pick it up when I went to calibrate it. After changing the batteries the first time I calibrated it my PT read 490, thought I was okay. As I was riding the power #'s didn't correlate with my ride. At the top of the first hill I recalibrated it and it then read 390, at this point I new something was wrong. Any ideas? Do I have to send it in for service?

Thanks,
Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We are currently testing this, should be out in a week or two at most....

PeteDin206 wrote:
Jesse-

Is there any plan to allow the G3 firmware to be updated by a Mac? It seems pretty ridiculous that the feature is there in the software, but doesn't work.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [xthulu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you haven't already, you should arrange a return.

xthulu wrote:
Hi Jessie, I've got a Powertap Elite+ that seems to be working OK, but when I calibrate it from a Garmin Edge 800, it returns -2563. Is that OK or do I need to take it in somewhere?

Thanks!
Harry

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Mdfletcher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're not already aware we have some new hub firmware for the G3 and GS that should solve this:

http://www.powertap.com/pages/firmware-release-history#g3

Mdfletcher wrote:
Today my Garmin would find the powertap, but would not report any wattage, cadence or speed, I pulled the battery, put it back in and now it is at least showing power and cadence. I am still having issues getting my Powertap to send the calibration value back to my Garmin 510. I have all the latest FW 56 on the powertap 2.8 Garmin, and it just sits there and eventually fails. None of my other G3 devices seem to have this issue. Any other advice? Pulled battery, put it back in, put in a new battery.

thanks

Martin

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [allenpg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're not already aware, we have new hub firmware for the G3 and GS that should address this:

allenpg wrote:
My wife's PowerTap Pro (G3 internals) was getting frequent low battery warnings on her Garmin. I would replace the new battery. I took had to resync my Garmin to another one of my PTs last night and got multiple power meters found. I was shocked, since non of my neighbors have one. I put things together tonight when my wife said she got another low battery warning. It upgraded it a few weeks ago to the newest firmware (056). Any ideas on why the PowerTap might be continuously "on". I've had PTs since 2006, and never had an issue like this. Thanks for the help!

-Pete

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [paull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're not already aware, we have new hub firmware for the G3 and GS that should address this:

paull wrote:
alwynj wrote:
Hi I think I have a faulty Powertap G3 which I have had a couple of months.

I have just received my wheel back after sending in my Powertap G3 under Warranty to Paligap in UK. It took over 4 weeks to return my wheel !!

On it's return I am starting to get the same symptoms as before. Mainly on calibration with Garmin 800 the readings are starting to get lower with each day/ride, which eventually ended up in very erratic power readings then no power readings and a return under warranty.
Paligap stated that "We have found the issue to be the torque offset is out of the acceptable 500-524 range and the hub is registering the power output incorrectly." They recalibrated.

On return G3 calibration was 510 on the Garmin 800
Next ride 510
Next ride 506
Next ride 406
Next ride 330
Next ride 284

I am never sure if the Power readings are correct as I don't think the G3 has worked correctly since the start.
What I have noticed with the reduction in calibration is that the G3 is transmitting a cadence when the wheel is not spinning. This shows up on Garmin 800 head unit and via USB Ant+ dongle to Trainerroad.
Incidentally Trainerroad has a manual zero option which calibrates to the same values as the Garmin 800.

It already has latest firmware and I have changed battery with no difference.
Any suggestions ?

Its got to go back again. If a torque tube is not holding its calibration there's nothing you can do and I'm sure it would be the same whatever computer you plugged it into.

You can test its current accuracy with a 10kg or ideally 20kg weight as documented here:http://www.cyclepowermeters.com/...ation-check-76-c.asp

But if the offset is varying that much, then there's a good chance the accuracy will change each ride.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply

Prev Next