Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Eric,

Can you please help with sizing on a P5d for my wife.. I'm a little confused as we were previously looking at a p5-6 (2nd hand) and using the size chart for that (with pad x measured to pad center) it looked like she was a 51 with low stem and perhaps 5 spacers.. Using the p5d calculator it looks like she might be a 48 - is the new p5 longer reach, or have I just mis-calculated?

Bike is predominantly for IM and she is a strong biker (front of pack AG). She packs light so storage isn't an issue (hence not considering PX series). Her current ride is a 2011 Cannondale slice, size51.

Current fit measurements (to back of pad).
Pad X: 420mm
Pad Y: 590mm
Pad Z: ~290mm to outsides (210 center to center) but she could come in a little.
saddle setback = 0, height (BB to top of saddle above clamp) = 695mm

To complicate things a little, the measurements above aren't her best fit - we put 10mm+ of spacers under the stem as she was off the TT for awhile and had some unrelated hamstring tightness that has since resolved. Her pad Y will come down over the next few months ~15mm+ ie <575mm. She was previously comfortable with the bike fit at that stack (and guidance from the fitter to lowering further over time). It would be a shame to buy a bike based on current fit and find it she becomes fit constrained as she re-adapts.. I have uploaded a couple of photos in case that helps, I do wonder whether she looks like she needs to go a tiny bit longer. Current fit (higher stack) is on road and post bike fit is on trainer - only difference in the photos is spacers under the stem.

Thanks a lot for your sizing advice...
Much Appreciated,
Alex
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [themister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First of all, well done for thinking of your/her future fit, that's the right way to do it.

When looking at the P5-6 numbers, it looks like given the pad stack and reach you gave me she'd be best on a slammed 48cm with the high-V mount, the high V being more aero IMO than the additional spacers under the stem. This computes to a 48cm P5d as well.

But when looking at the pics I can see her getting longer in the future, as well as lower like you say... I think the best solution for this is using the EX10 mono-riser with tilt, which also adds reach. You'll still be a 48cm P5d.

Make sense?

Eric

themister wrote:
Hi Eric,

Can you please help with sizing on a P5d for my wife.. I'm a little confused as we were previously looking at a p5-6 (2nd hand) and using the size chart for that (with pad x measured to pad center) it looked like she was a 51 with low stem and perhaps 5 spacers.. Using the p5d calculator it looks like she might be a 48 - is the new p5 longer reach, or have I just mis-calculated?

Bike is predominantly for IM and she is a strong biker (front of pack AG). She packs light so storage isn't an issue (hence not considering PX series). Her current ride is a 2011 Cannondale slice, size51.

Current fit measurements (to back of pad).
Pad X: 420mm
Pad Y: 590mm
Pad Z: ~290mm to outsides (210 center to center) but she could come in a little.
saddle setback = 0, height (BB to top of saddle above clamp) = 695mm

To complicate things a little, the measurements above aren't her best fit - we put 10mm+ of spacers under the stem as she was off the TT for awhile and had some unrelated hamstring tightness that has since resolved. Her pad Y will come down over the next few months ~15mm+ ie <575mm. She was previously comfortable with the bike fit at that stack (and guidance from the fitter to lowering further over time). It would be a shame to buy a bike based on current fit and find it she becomes fit constrained as she re-adapts.. I have uploaded a couple of photos in case that helps, I do wonder whether she looks like she needs to go a tiny bit longer. Current fit (higher stack) is on road and post bike fit is on trainer - only difference in the photos is spacers under the stem.

Thanks a lot for your sizing advice...
Much Appreciated,
Alex

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Eric,
Thanks for your guidance. yep that makes sense - I hadn't considered the high-v vs stem spacers.

Unfortunately we are unable to negotiate a swap of the EX10/11 so will need to buy the mono-riser with tilt aftermarket and the budget is already blown just getting onto this bike.. At least it's good to know the option is available down the track if she needs more reach. So we are constrained using the no-tilt mono riser that comes standard on P5-d but can swap out the extensions for 50deg rise for now.

Do you think she will still have enough reach available with this setup (48cm P5d, non-tilt mono riser, 50deg extension) as her position evolves longer/lower over the next year?

Thanks again,
Alex
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [themister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
An alternative way to get tilt is to insist on the 50 degree extensions and then use aftermarket tilt wedges... a cheap option.

It’ll be tight on reach and future position... but i guess when that happens you can do the EX10 then and defray the cost over time

Edit: curious, why won’t they do the EX10?

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Last edited by: ericMPro: Feb 11, 20 5:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would like to know if there is any information on the swap for EX10. I have an athlete that wants to get the EX10 but they will not let her swap it out, want to charge over $500 and just sell her the parts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eric, another one for you please.

Looking for a P5D for my wife. Pretty sure she needs a 48, but second opinion appreciated. She's got long legs proportional to height and comfortable in a relatively aggressive position. All measurements to back of pads.
  • Reach - 420mm
  • Stack - 560mm
  • Saddle height - 680mm

Any help appreciated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eric,

im looking at either a P5Disc, PX bike, or a Shiv Disc. my coordinates...

im on a premier tactical, using their tilt kit. tilt is measured at 13 degrees on the pad per my iphone.

reach from BB to back of pad is 495
stack from BB to middle of pad is 626
BB to seat center is right at 750.

cervelos site has me in a 56 or 58 for a P5, and firmly in a L for the PX bike.

thanks in advance!

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Eric,

I am looking at getting my first triathlon bike and looking at the Cervelo P2 or P3. I got a fit test for a road bike (56 cm) with aero bars and the coordinates are below:

HX: 525
HY: 650
SX: 220
SY: 668
Stack: 600
Reach: 420
Crank Length: 172.5
Saddle Height: 763

I know it isn't a true triathlon bike fit test, but as a newbie I was just looking to make the best out of my set up. Any help for my next set up with a Cervelo would be greatly appreciate. Thanks for the time!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [trifantasy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been told that the EX10 is not a free swap but an aftermarket purchase. I’ll double check and get back to you.

Eric

trifantasy wrote:
I would like to know if there is any information on the swap for EX10. I have an athlete that wants to get the EX10 but they will not let her swap it out, want to charge over $500 and just sell her the parts.

Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [tonto1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, at a stack of 560 and reach of 420 she is definitely a 48cm P5d, with the riser in the 21mm setting and pads at +15

Eric

tonto1 wrote:
Eric, another one for you please.

Looking for a P5D for my wife. Pretty sure she needs a 48, but second opinion appreciated. She's got long legs proportional to height and comfortable in a relatively aggressive position. All measurements to back of pads.
  • Reach - 420mm
  • Stack - 560mm
  • Saddle height - 680mm

Any help appreciated.

Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hi Damon,

With a Pad Stack of 626 and a Pad Reach of 495, you'd fit either a 56cm or 58cm P5d. Ordinarily I'd say get the bigger one, ie. the one that is longest but still low enough, but if you know for sure you absolutely *won't* get any longer you could use the 56cm.

That said, you on the 56cm P5d would be maxed out for reach, and I've never met anyone that couldn't use at least a little more reach, so in that case I'd recommend the 58cm P5d.

You'd have to post a picture for us to be sure.

Make sense?

Eric

damon.lebeouf wrote:
eric,

im looking at either a P5Disc, PX bike, or a Shiv Disc. my coordinates...

im on a premier tactical, using their tilt kit. tilt is measured at 13 degrees on the pad per my iphone.

reach from BB to back of pad is 495
stack from BB to middle of pad is 626
BB to seat center is right at 750.

cervelos site has me in a 56 or 58 for a P5, and firmly in a L for the PX bike.

thanks in advance!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Eric
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [pkeys00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi, thanks for reaching out. Without seeing a picture, and ignoring what size road bike you were fitted on, your fit numbers Pad Stack of 600 and Pad Reach of 420 indicate that your position is relatively upright or "slack" and in the upper left quadrant of the fit chart. For example, with those fit coordinates, you'd be 48cm or 51cm P5d.

But, you got fit on a 56cm road bike... so there's some confounding information. Perhaps, and I'm just saying maybe, but perhaps on the road bike the saddle could only go forward so far, and when it was maxed out it was still not forward enough to mimic an orthodox time trial or triathlon position. From there, the rest of your fit would have been normalized to that saddle position, giving you the sort of upright fit coordinates you gave me which output a smaller bike.

Curious... how tall are you? What's your inseam? FWIW, I would never put anyone on 172.5mm cranks, let alone someone riding a 48cm or 51cm TT bike.

I think we need more information.... do you have a picture from your test fitting? Are you absolutely sure about the pad stack and reach numbers?

Eric

pkeys00 wrote:
Hey Eric,

I am looking at getting my first triathlon bike and looking at the Cervelo P2 or P3. I got a fit test for a road bike (56 cm) with aero bars and the coordinates are below:

HX: 525
HY: 650
SX: 220
SY: 668
Stack: 600
Reach: 420
Crank Length: 172.5
Saddle Height: 763

I know it isn't a true triathlon bike fit test, but as a newbie I was just looking to make the best out of my setup. Any help for my next set up with a Cervelo would be greatly appreciate. Thanks for the time!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
hi Damon,

With a Pad Stack of 626 and a Pad Reach of 495, you'd fit either a 56cm or 58cm P5d. Ordinarily I'd say get the bigger one, ie. the one that is longest but still low enough, but if you know for sure you absolutely *won't* get any longer you could use the 56cm.

That said, you on the 56cm P5d would be maxed out for reach, and I've never met anyone that couldn't use at least a little more reach, so in that case I'd recommend the 58cm P5d.

You'd have to post a picture for us to be sure.

Make sense?

Eric

absolutely. thanks a lot for the feedback eric. :)

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eric,
Thanks for getting back to me and sorry for delay, been busy with a new job.

I am 5'11" and my inseam is 32-33 in/81-83 cm.

Yes you are correct I can only move my seat so far forward since it is a road bike. I am on a 172.5 mm crank because that is what the bike came with and I didn't want to switch out the crank length if I was going to be buying a new bike. I did try 165 mm and seemed to like that as well. The pad stack and reach were what were given to me on her sheet that she sent me. Again though that was as good as the fit would get me with my current road bike/clip on aero bars set up would allow me. I could probably get lower and not so upright with no problem.

I attached two pics from my current set up for you to look at.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Eric.
Looking around at a new bike
Shortlisted is the p5d

Pad X 483 (528 for centre pad, so - 45mm to the back of the pad, the reference I have here is 90mm long pad)
Pad Y 622mm
Pad Z 180mm (c-c)
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [pkeys00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wrote you a long reply that for some reason didn't post...

the gist was that now that I've seen your picture I can see you being much further forward on a proper tri bike than where you are now which would definitely put you out of range of a 48cm or 51cm P5d. You'd be well into the range of a 54cm or 56cm P5d. The last bit of my post talked about how just based on looking at your picture and extrapolating to a new bike you could definitely get yourself into a situation where you're choosing between a bike that might not be long enough (54cm) or a bike that might not be low enough (56cm), depending on the evolution of your future fit.

I think your "new" fit coordinates would be a pad stack of 600mm still, but a pad reach of 475mm. Here a 54 or 56 would fit.

Finally I commented that 172.5 cranks are way too long for you :)

does this make sense?

Eric

pkeys00 wrote:
Eric,
Thanks for getting back to me and sorry for delay, been busy with a new job.

I am 5'11" and my inseam is 32-33 in/81-83 cm.

Yes you are correct I can only move my seat so far forward since it is a road bike. I am on a 172.5 mm crank because that is what the bike came with and I didn't want to switch out the crank length if I was going to be buying a new bike. I did try 165 mm and seemed to like that as well. The pad stack and reach were what were given to me on her sheet that she sent me. Again though that was as good as the fit would get me with my current road bike/clip on aero bars set up would allow me. I could probably get lower and not so upright with no problem.

I attached two pics from my current set up for you to look at.

Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [Cape_Horn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hi, thanks for reaching out.

With a pad stack of 622mm and a pad reach of 483mm to back of pad, you're in the md-lower right quadrant of a 56cm or lower left of a 58cm P5d. In other words, if you added more reach at some point you'd be too long for a 56 but if you ever got lower at some point you'd be too low for a 58. Currently both of them fit you fine.

Make sense?

Eric

Cape_Horn wrote:
Hi Eric.
Looking around at a new bike
Shortlisted is the p5d

Pad X 483 (528 for centre pad, so - 45mm to the back of the pad, the reference I have here is 90mm long pad)
Pad Y 622mm
Pad Z 180mm (c-c)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Eric,

I'm interested in the P5d but i'm a little unsure of the size. here are my numbers:

stack: 665mm
reach 470mm
pad Z: 160mm (center-to-center)
saddle: 770mm
bar tilt = 10 degree

I'm currently on a QR PRsix 54. Using the cervelo fit calculator it puts me in the far corner of a 56. Would there be any concern with running the monoriser that high? Or would i be better off looking at a 58? I just feel like the 58 is a "big" bike, and would be a little concerned with the seat tube length and stand over height. I'm going to head out today and try to see them in person to get a better idea.

And if i keep the flat bars that come on it (no tilt), would that change my coordinates at all?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [mynameiskory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hi Kory, thanks for reaching out.

yeah that's an interesting one... you're in the upper right of a 56 or mid left of a 58. Not knowing anything about you I'd go with the 58cm P5d. I don't think standover will be an issue, especially with the stack you have which indicates you're at least a little bit tall.

FWIW, don't get wrapped up on bike sizing nomenclature... a 54cm QR is the same as a 56cm in most other brands. You should get the longest bike that is still low enough. 58cm can work. That said, a 56cm P5d will absolutely work and you might even have some weight and aero savings. Just know that with your current numbers you are just 12mm from running out of reach on the 56cm, and from what I know of most upper-left quadrant riders, you might need some tweaking to get more orthodox.

Tilt would change stack slightly... with native tilt if you tilt the pads up the back of the pads drop down. Depending on where you contact the pad you might need to adjust up or down to find the sweet spot. With aftermarket tilt you'll add stack, so you'll have to drop the mono-riser down to compensate.

Make sense?

thanks,
Eric

mynameiskory wrote:
Hi Eric,

I'm interested in the P5d but i'm a little unsure of the size. here are my numbers:

stack: 665mm
reach 470mm
pad Z: 160mm (center-to-center)
saddle: 770mm
bar tilt = 10 degree

I'm currently on a QR PRsix 54. Using the cervelo fit calculator it puts me in the far corner of a 56. Would there be any concern with running the monoriser that high? Or would i be better off looking at a 58? I just feel like the 58 is a "big" bike, and would be a little concerned with the seat tube length and stand over height. I'm going to head out today and try to see them in person to get a better idea.

And if i keep the flat bars that come on it (no tilt), would that change my coordinates at all?

Thanks!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Eric, thanks for the reply!

I was able to at least see the 56 and 58 in person (both bikes were already spoken for, so i wasn't able to actually ride them). The stand over height on the 58 was... a little tight. With cleats on, it would probably get a little extra clearance. I'm 6'0" but i think i have short legs (shopping for pants that aren't too long is a little bit of a trick).

The QR definitely had a lot more frame stack, and then a little extra with the stem, so i only need 45mm of risers. I was initially concerned with running now 70mm+ riser and the pad/brake differential. But it person it didn't seem that bad.

My fit has stabilized over the last couple years. That doesn't mean that there still isn't improvements/tweaks to be made, but i'm pretty comfortable with where it is right now. I'm not really sure how much longer/lower i can go. I've attached a picture from a race back in October for reference. It's not the best side shot. If it helps at all, i can grab a pic on the trainer.

Currently I'm leaning towards the 56, but i still have a little reservations about not really having any potential room to grow if i need to. I don't want to make a very expensive mistake...

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes that does all make sense.

Although I am a bit confused looking at many other sites and bikes my Stack (600mm) and Reach (475mm) seem to not be on the fit charts? On the Slowtwitch webpage "Stack/Reach Database" I would be an XXL for Cervelo, but you recommended a 54 (522/411) or 56 (540/425). Am I missing something or not subtracting something from my Stack and Reach to get those numbers?

What is more beneficial then a 54 cm where I won't be long enough or 56 cm where I would be more upright? With the 54 cm any way I could swap out a stem for a longer one to give me more of a reach? Would you then recommend going down to 165 cranks? I tried them before and didn't mind them.
Last edited by: pkeys00: Mar 15, 20 6:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dear Eric

I am a bit in the same situation (and sizing!) than pkeys: owner of a road bike (Canyon Endurace CF 54) with aero bars, looking for a first triathlon bike.

I would have the opportunity to buy a friend’s P5D size 54. I made a bike fit last week and have following measurements:

Height 1m84 (6’00)
Inseam 84cm (33 inches)
Saddle height 76.5cm (79.6 before fit)
Saddle setback 8.3cm (9.6 before fit)
Saddle to base bar distance 53.5cm
Saddle to hoods distance 68.7cm
Drop (height between saddle and base bar) 5cm
Stem 100mm, 6 degrees
Cranks 172.5mm

For what it is worth, it measured current stack and reach (approximatively), but as mentioned they make no sense due to the fact that they are measured on an endurance road bike…

Pad X 37,5cm
Pad Y 68,5cm

I have rather short legs and a long torso, I am afraid that the 54 will be low but might be not long enough, what do you think?

Many thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Eric,

I am considering to go for a PX. My latest fit gives me the following numbers:
Pad X: 452mm
Pad Y: 715mm (also tried 700mm but 715mm feels better)
Saddle height 807mm
My height is 188cm.

I am not superflexible (especially neck). I am being told that I should go for XL due to relatively high saddle height.

I am also attaching a pic from that fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the longer bike makes more sense.

Quote Reply

Prev Next