Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Zoomydu,

I should have been more clear on seat height measuring, I'm sorry. I nailed it though!
I think your Pad Y is gonna be somewhere around 563mm and your Pad X (to center of pad) around 435mm. And I have lots to say about all this BUT let's wait 'til after your fitting is completed and let's see if your fitter and I get in the same ballpark.

Talk here soon, Ian

Cool. This is fun...I'm really eager to see how close you got, too. Thanks for running some #s for me.

:D

"Rectum, damn near killed 'em!"
Thriving, in spite of familial metastatic colorectal cancer since 2017 (diagnosed @ 44)
Minus most of rectum/sigmoid colon and 1 lung lobe
Early screening saves lives!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [seishidar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'm 5'11" and my fit is a 680 mm stack and 540 mm reach (pad center). My saddle height is 755 mm with zero saddle setback on a 160 crank. However I will be on a 170 crank for a while as that's what the bike comes with.
Can I make a large 2018 Speedmax 9.0 CF SLX fit? Have a ridiculous deal on it if I can make it work. Can see all the fit numbers on the attached.

Dar,
The Canyon Speedmax SLX in size Large is for sure right for you. To hit those numbers (680-540) you'll use the short stem that comes stock on the bike. You'll need 50mm of pedestal plus a little aftermarket item called the "high stack flat spring", and then you'll push forward to one hole short of the max.

If you're saddle height is 755 on 160mm cranks then it'll be 745 with 170mm cranks. When you lower the saddle to 745 to work with the 170s you'll now have less arm pad drop (10mm less) but it's just short while waiting for the new 160s and you're not racing that position with the longer cranks you may just want to leave the front end where it is so it'll be right when the 160s get installed and the saddle height goes back up 10mm.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Zoomydu,

I should have been more clear on seat height measuring, I'm sorry. I nailed it though!
I think your Pad Y is gonna be somewhere around 563mm and your Pad X (to center of pad) around 435mm. And I have lots to say about all this BUT let's wait 'til after your fitting is completed and let's see if your fitter and I get in the same ballpark.

Talk here soon, Ian

OK, finally getting back to you. I have rough #s, though they will change a little, since Retul's computer dealie defaults to 172.5mm cranks, which we didn't catch and change when taking all of the motion-capture measurements -- mine are 165 on my existing bike, which we used for fitting purposes. My fitter recommended staying with 165s in the future. I already figured that if I end up with a Speedmax that those silly long cranks are going to go. My road bike cranks are not even that long.

pad stack: 624mm
pad reach: 390mm...but this is to the back of the pad. To the center adds another 50mm, so 440mm should be closer.

Not sure how much the #s would change once the proper crank length is accounted for. My saddle setback was -15mm.

The fitting was money well spent. She confirmed a suspicion that I have had since I was a teen -- that my right leg is slightly longer than my left and my hamstrings are loose, while my quads are tight. I was riding pretty "windswept," which we've kind of noticed on my road bike (though it's never really given me any real issues). My butt tends to end up off to one side and apparently my feet were sort of pointing in the same direction during the fitting. She brought my right pedal with spacers 2mm, medium arch orthotics in my shoes, and a 1.5 varus wedge in left shoe -- I'm looking forward to seeing how these adjustments affect my road bike comfort, as well. By the end of the fitting both knees were tracking appropriately. We leveled my aerobars and extended grips a little, though I will definitely want my next bike to have J-bend bars, rather than S-bend, as my current ride has. I knew that going in and she wholeheartedly agreed.

Thriving, in spite of familial metastatic colorectal cancer since 2017 (diagnosed @ 44)
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [zoomydu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I grabbed a level, yardstick, and carpenter's measuring tape and jotted-down more accurate pad measurements. Pad Y: 616, pad X: 432. Looks like I fall within Canyon's pad measurement range. I'm eyeballing the Liv Avow Advanced Pro, as well. They published pad measurements last year. I fall within their reach, but am pretty far above their stack range.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

My stack is 638mm and my reach is 445mm.

I snagged a Speedmax 8.0 LTD Medium over black friday and am generally quite happy with it when I’m in the aerobars.

When I pop up and use the handlebars, however, I feel a bit far forward, as if I want a finger’s width more space.

I feel like the Medium fits well otherwise in terms of stand over height and everything like that. The question is whether I am making a mistake by not going to Large to get a little more research on the handlebars. Or to just buy the 90mm stem. Do you have an opinion on that?

I’m within the return, so could still exchange it.

Thanks very much for your advice!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [jhofman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,
y stack is 638mm and my reach is 445mm.
I snagged a Speedmax 8.0 LTD Medium over black friday and am generally quite happy with it when I’m in the aerobars.
When I pop up and use the handlebars, however, I feel a bit far forward, as if I want a finger’s width more space.
I feel like the Medium fits well otherwise in terms of stand over height and everything like that. The question is whether I am making a mistake by not going to Large to get a little more research on the handlebars. Or to just buy the 90mm stem. Do you have an opinion on that?
I’m within the return, so could still exchange it.
Thanks very much for your advice!

jhofman,
I've got two questions...
1) You've referenced this as an LTD and Canyon has used that in the past as a limited edition for either version of the Speedmaxs/Speedmaxes/Speedmaxi. Is your bike the CF (mortal bike, a fairly normal stem on it) or the SLX (super bike, built in front end hydration, the one that's won the last 4 of the big fall races in the Lava)?
2) Pad Y at 638 - check! Pad X at 445 - I'm guessing that's to the rear of the pad yes?

Let me know, Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Last edited by: ianpeace: Dec 22, 19 19:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian,

Thanks for the reply!

On 1), it’s a CF.

As for 2), it’s complicated!

I gave you that number from a Retul fit that I did on my retrofitted road bike with clip on aerobars. My reach was recorded as 396mm to pad rear on the fit report, so I added 45mm to it to get to center.

But I had a friend get me dialed in on the new Canyon and I just did a rough measurement myself for the reach (to pad center) it’s set for right now (which feels pretty good) and it might closer to 455mm, although I’m kind of eyeballing it with a tape measure.

Hoping that’s enough to work with.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [jhofman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ian,

Okay, quick update here. I did what I think is a better measurement of reach and it's closer to 480mm the way my Canyon is currently set up.

Apologies for the lack of a super precise measurement on this! No idea why there would be such a big difference between my Retul report on the old bike and the current setup, both feel reasonably good to ride. It's really just the handlebars over the brakes that I'm concerned about, but I think it might be just fine the way it is.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [zoomydu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zoomydu wrote:
ianpeace wrote:
Zoomydu,

Talk here soon, Ian

OK, finally getting back to you. I have rough #s, though they will change a little, since Retul's computer dealie defaults to 172.5mm cranks, which we didn't catch and change when taking all of the motion-capture measurements -- mine are 165 on my existing bike, which we used for fitting purposes. My fitter recommended staying with 165s in the future. I already figured that if I end up with a Speedmax that those silly long cranks are going to go. My road bike cranks are not even that long.

pad reach: 390mm...but this is to the back of the pad. To the center adds another 50mm, so 440mm should be closer.

Not sure how much the #s would change once the proper crank length is accounted for. My saddle setback was -15mm.

The fitting was money well spent. She confirmed a suspicion that I have had since I was a teen -- that my right leg is slightly longer than my left and my hamstrings are loose, while my quads are tight. I was riding pretty "windswept," which we've kind of noticed on my road bike (though it's never really given me any real issues). My butt tends to end up off to one side and apparently my feet were sort of pointing in the same direction during the fitting. She brought my right pedal with spacers 2mm, medium arch orthotics in my shoes, and a 1.5 varus wedge in left shoe -- I'm looking forward to seeing how these adjustments affect my road bike comfort, as well. By the end of the fitting both knees were tracking appropriately. We leveled my aerobars and extended grips a little, though I will definitely want my next bike to have J-bend bars, rather than S-bend, as my current ride has. I knew that going in and she wholeheartedly agreed.

I re-measured and came up with Pad Y of 616 and Pad X of 432, which makes sense. I feel like I could get a bit lower and longer (my lower back was on the tight side when I had my fitting and most of my recent riding pre-fitting was on my men's 48cm Cdale SuperSix -- which is fairly aggressive with a 90mm stem, but still not aero aggressive, obviously)...maybe 10-20mm. The one thing I'd really like before pulling the trigger on an XS is your crank recommendation. My 165s feel fine, but I don't have anything to compare them with. My inseam is 30". Or would shorter cranks really put the saddle back too far for a relatively short-torso'd short chick?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
See attached for my fit file. Let me know what you think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The fitting was money well spent. .

and then later...

Quote:
I grabbed a level, yardstick, and carpenter's measuring tape and jotted-down more accurate pad measurements. Pad Y: 616, pad X: 432. Looks like I fall within Canyon's pad measurement range.

zoomydu,

Yeah, 624... c'mon, 616 sounds much more logical to me. The 440 number (Pad X to center) that makes sense - I guessed 435. So here we go for a Canyon Speedmax CF: you should get an XS. The 70mm stem comes on that bike will work well for you. The tallest the bike goes is 620 so you're near the top of it and that's okay, because I think with shorter cranks you'll ride lower. The Pad X number of 440 is right in the center of the range so you can go up or down quite a bit.

PS. they are having a sale right now where the 105 build of this bike with sexy wheels is only $3,300. https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road-bikes/triathlon-bikes/speedmax/

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
The fitting was money well spent. .

and then later...

Quote:
I grabbed a level, yardstick, and carpenter's measuring tape and jotted-down more accurate pad measurements. Pad Y: 616, pad X: 432. Looks like I fall within Canyon's pad measurement range.

zoomydu,

Yeah, 624... c'mon, 616 sounds much more logical to me. The 440 number (Pad X to center) that makes sense - I guessed 435. So here we go for a Canyon Speedmax CF: you should get an XS. The 70mm stem comes on that bike will work well for you. The tallest the bike goes is 620 so you're near the top of it and that's okay, because I think with shorter cranks you'll ride lower. The Pad X number of 440 is right in the center of the range so you can go up or down quite a bit.

PS. they are having a sale right now where the 105 build of this bike with sexy wheels is only $3,300. https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road-bikes/triathlon-bikes/speedmax/

Ian

Even better is this deal on Ultegra in the outlet! https://www.canyon.com/..._pv_rahmengroesse=XS
Recommendation on crank length?

Thanks for all of your help. Happy Holidays to you and yours! :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Even better is this deal on Ultegra in the outlet! https://www.canyon.com/..._pv_rahmengroesse=XS

zoomydu,
Ultegra and wheels at $3,300 - what a buy!!! That bike's gonna come with 172.5s and you and I both know that's not right. 165s would be an easy choice because the big players (Shimano and SRAM) make lots of 'em. My guess is that you'd do well with 155s and then you'd probably choose Rotor or Speed 'n Comfort. If you're gonna make the leap and get power WITH your new cranks then Rotor can work but also consider Verve Infocrank. My advice is...when the bike arrives pull the cranks immediately and sell them as "never ridden".

Excited for you, Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:

zoomydu,
Ultegra and wheels at $3,300 - what a buy!!! That bike's gonna come with 172.5s and you and I both know that's not right. 165s would be an easy choice because the big players (Shimano and SRAM) make lots of 'em. My guess is that you'd do well with 155s and then you'd probably choose Rotor or Speed 'n Comfort. If you're gonna make the leap and get power WITH your new cranks then Rotor can work but also consider Verve Infocrank. My advice is...when the bike arrives pull the cranks immediately and sell them as "never ridden".

Excited for you, Ian

Thanks -- I'm excited for me, too! :D

We're definitely going to remove the cranks before doing any other assembly. I think in the short term I'll probably swap them with Ultegra 165s...see how that goes. It sounds like going shorter usually means replacing the bottom bracket (I think...?), which adds a bit more work and investment. I may save that as an upgrade in the near-ish future.

Thanks again for all of your help!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace,

just a ping on my earlier reply to your questions. curious if you have any thoughts. thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
It’s a CF.
I gave you that number from a Retul fit that I did on my retrofitted road bike with clip on aerobars. My reach was recorded as 396mm to pad rear on the fit report, so I added 45mm to it to get to center.
But I had a friend get me dialed in on the new Canyon and I just did a rough measurement myself for the reach (to pad center) it’s set for right now (which feels pretty good) and it might closer to 455mm, although I’m kind of eyeballing it with a tape measure.
Hoping that’s enough to work with.

Quote:
Okay, quick update here. I did what I think is a better measurement of reach and it's closer to 480mm the way my Canyon is currently set up.
Apologies for the lack of a super precise measurement on this! No idea why there would be such a big difference between my Retul report on the old bike and the current setup, both feel reasonably good to ride. It's really just the handlebars over the brakes that I'm concerned about, but I think it might be just fine the way it is.

jhofman,
This is interesting.... to pad center you have three progressively longer positions: 441mm (Rd bike w/ clip ons), 455mm after friend's fit on new Canyon CF, and then 480mm after a more accurate measurement. Here are my thoughts. The most important part of the fit is where your hips are over the bottom bracket. This is spoken of with the terms seat height and set back. That's the primary way you make the power that sends the bike forward so it gets dealt with first. To some extent the location of the bars (in this case the pads) speaks more to comfort and a bit aero-ness. You kinda have to think of the saddle as the first step and then the pads end up where they are because of where the saddle is.... the saddle informs the pads.

The saddle on your road bike was prolly way back behind the bottom bracket and that informed the pads location as farther back too. Your new Canyon CF has a steeper seat angle, the saddle has the ability to move forward over the bottom bracket and as it moves forward the pads move forward too. This is good, you want that.

So let's now circle back to the original question which is, essentially, Pad Y is 638 and Pad X is now 480 - is the medium CF right for you? My answer is yes, you're in a pretty good place on the range of that bike. And just so you know, the large is too long for you; the minimum Pad X is 488 and that's almost a centimeter longer than where you are. The small is too short for you; max Pad X is 472.

You're initial complaint was "When I pop up and use the handlebars, however, I feel a bit far forward" This makes sense to me - you're not on your road bike any more. Your hips are over the BB (as noted above), your upper body is over the front wheel, and you're lower (read: out of the wind) from the road bike with clip-ons. This is the triathlon/time trail position. This is how it's supposed to be. All tri bikes are designed to be ridden in aero and fit to be ridden in aero. That said, we still have to come up to the base bar often for safety: braking, a more stable grip for sharp turns, descending, etc. - that's fine, but once past the techy bit we're back in aero where we are faster. This works because the vast majority of triathlon bike courses are pretty flat and straight - we're not allowed to draft (in the typical age group format) so the priority is to be comfortable in aero so we can make good power and slip through the wind with a smaller frontal area than if we were upright on higher bars.

Now... I'm leaving the bike fitter zone for a sec and putting on my coaches hat. Being a technically good bike rider matters. I've seen hundreds of fit athletes with big engines who are slow on the bike because they haven't taken the time to learn bike skills. If you invest in learning to ride the position of this new bike you'll be faster through corners, in cross winds, around u-turns, on descents, while drinking, while eating, etc. Take that time.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [Jason AZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

JasonAZ,
My first though is... nice drawing.

I can easily identify Pad X at 500 and it looks like that's to the center of the pad, great! Pad Y is not noted. Stack is there at 565, but no Pad Y. I'm willing to bet your Pad Y is 670-675, in that range.

Okay, if you were to get a Canyon Speedmax SLX you'd be a size Large with the short stem that comes stock on the bike and the pads would either need to be all the way back (Pad X 498) or one hole forward of that (Pad X 510) depending on preference. You'd also need 40mm of pedestal to get your Pad Y.

And if you were to get a Canyon Speedmax CF you'd be a Large and you'd be nicely situated in the middle of the range with lots of room to move up/down/fwd/back with the stock, 90mm stem that comes on the bike.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace,

This is awesome. Thanks so much for all of the information. This all makes sense and sounds like I just need to get used to the new fit.

And noted on technical skills.

Btw, if you have any favorite references for improving technique (videos, books, coaches in NYC, etc.) happy to take some pointers.

Thank you again for all of the help!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:

JasonAZ,
My first though is... nice drawing.

I can easily identify Pad X at 500 and it looks like that's to the center of the pad, great! Pad Y is not noted. Stack is there at 565, but no Pad Y. I'm willing to bet your Pad Y is 670-675, in that range.

Okay, if you were to get a Canyon Speedmax SLX you'd be a size Large with the short stem that comes stock on the bike and the pads would either need to be all the way back (Pad X 498) or one hole forward of that (Pad X 510) depending on preference. You'd also need 40mm of pedestal to get your Pad Y.

And if you were to get a Canyon Speedmax CF you'd be a Large and you'd be nicely situated in the middle of the range with lots of room to move up/down/fwd/back with the stock, 90mm stem that comes on the bike.

Ian

Thanks Ian. It's pretty cool that you are doing this! The pricing on the Speedmax SLX is in my range but I'm concerned that I'm in between sizes the way you described. Is it possible that this bike might not be a good fit for me?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Ian. I just purchased a Medium because according to Canyon, it should fit my physic (5'11"). Long legs and arms / short torso. Unfortunately the base bar feel extremely low and I am maxed out on the Pad stack height and still 30mm short of where my old Tri Bike is at. I believe I need a large, but maybe there are some alternatives to consider.

My Pad X: 426; Pad Y: 691
Saddle height: 720
Crank Arm: 170

Thoughts......?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Ian! Im doing an guru fit in a week but wanted to see what you thought. I’m on the edge between a speedmax slx medium and small.

I came from riding a used felt b14 that never felt comfortable, size 56, 170mm cranks.

When I took the stack and reach measurements this is what I got.

Stack (middle of pad) 641mm
Reach (back of pad) 438mm

Height 176 cm

Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [Bikernutz77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hello Ian. I just purchased a Medium because according to Canyon, it should fit my physic (5'11"). Long legs and arms / short torso. Unfortunately the base bar feel extremely low and I am maxed out on the Pad stack height and still 30mm short of where my old Tri Bike is at. I believe I need a large, but maybe there are some alternatives to consider.
My Pad X: 426; Pad Y: 691
Saddle height: 720
Crank Arm: 170
Thoughts......?

Bikernutz77, I really appreciate you attaching that pic otherwise I would not have known it was a 2018 Speedmax SLX and the front end of that bike is very different from the 2019 version. To your question: a Pad Y of 691 cannot be achieved on a size medium. The best you can do with that flat base bar that's on there now is Pad Y of 650mm and that's a single 60mm spacer + a single 20mm spacer. All of this is suspicious to me because a) I can't be 100% sure of the spacers that are pedestaled under there now and b) 691-650 is ~40mm shy of where you need to be not 30.

Here's something that could help... if you got the "rise bar" as the base bar it would give you another 25mm of Pad Y. The rise base bar + the max spacer of 80 (1x60mm + 1x20mm) would get you to 675mm in Pad Y. You've eked out a bit more withe ceegee pads that are on there so then we might call it 682ish.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [titan4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hey Ian! Im doing an guru fit in a week but wanted to see what you thought. I’m on the edge between a speedmax slx medium and small.
I came from riding a used felt b14 that never felt comfortable, size 56, 170mm cranks.
Height 176 cm
Thank you.

titan4,
I'm glad you wrote. You and I would foolish to use the Pad Stack (641) and Pad Reach (488 - Canyon goes to center of pad) from a bike "that never felt comfortable". If we did that by-the-way you'd be medium on the SLX and could even fit on a large.

The hope is that your fit next week will result in numbers that you can really believe in. When you go into that fit there are a couple of things that must happen - 1) you've got to be on a saddle that is comfortable and sitting on that saddle how/where it's intended to be used. The Speedmax SLX comes Fizik Mistica so if you're fitter's got one of those start with. If you don't like it then try all he has 'til you find one you like. 2) You've got to test different positions: saddle back a bit bars up and back...then saddle forward a bit with bars forward and lower....saddle forward again w/ bars fwd and lower again...etc. etc. The Guru DFU bike makes this process easier than any other dynamic fit bike so you've got that going for you. 3) Once you find that position that is comfortable and powerful while in aero then be sure to leave there with both your Pad X and Pad Y....and... all your fit coordinates. Read this: https://www.slowtwitch.com/...pectations_3595.html

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
Height 176 cm
Thank you.

titan4,
I'm glad you wrote. You and I would foolish to use the Pad Stack (641) and Pad Reach (488 - Canyon goes to center of pad) from a bike "that never felt comfortable". If we did that by-the-way you'd be medium on the SLX and could even fit on a large.

The hope is that your fit next week will result in numbers that you can really believe in. When you go into that fit there are a couple of things that must happen - 1) you've got to be on a saddle that is comfortable and sitting on that saddle how/where it's intended to be used. The Speedmax SLX comes Fizik Mistica so if you're fitter's got one of those start with. If you don't like it then try all he has 'til you find one you like. 2) You've got to test different positions: saddle back a bit bars up and back...then saddle forward a bit with bars forward and lower....saddle forward again w/ bars fwd and lower again...etc. etc. The Guru DFU bike makes this process easier than any other dynamic fit bike so you've got that going for you. 3) Once you find that position that is comfortable and powerful while in aero then be sure to leave there with both your Pad X and Pad Y....and... all your fit coordinates. Read this: https://www.slowtwitch.com/...pectations_3595.html

Ian

titan4: If you end up going with a Medium and want to get a really nice 2018, let me know. It looks like I'm going to have to find a Large to get into.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
Height 176 cm
Thank you.

titan4,

Ian

Thanks Ian. I was afraid of this. I talked to Canyon today, but all they wanted to do was sell me 3 set of aero bar products that might work. Even after explaining what I had (which was two of what they wanted me to buy), they still suggested I do and return what is not needed. I think I will resolved to the fact that I need to find a size Large. BTW - Greg Pelican is who fitted me. Perhaps you know of him?
Quote Reply

Prev Next