Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi there,
Pad X - 478
Pad Y - 610

Thank you!

IG -frebay | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [Nicotriman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nico, did I cover this request. I'm not sure I did. Can you confirm for me?

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [frebay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi there,
Pad X - 478
Pad Y - 610
Thank you!

frebay,

You can go one of two ways...
1) A size small, short stem,either bar (flat or rise), pads nearly in the middle of the stock arm pad mounts, and 45mm of arm pad pedestal.
---or---
2) A size medium, short stem, either bar, pads back to the next to last hole in the stock arm pad mounts, and 15mm of arm pad pedestal.

Both of those set ups are really nice, and it's good to have two options with availability being limited as it's been recently (at least in the U.S.). Just so you have all the info to help make the most informed decision...You have lots of room to move in terms of Pad X on both bikes. The Y number is a bit more restricted: the max pedestal on the small is 55mm (so, up only 10 more mm) and the minimum of pedestal is, of course, zero (so, down only 15 more mm).

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, Ian
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [Nicotriman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hi Ian
Thank you for doing this

saddle high 741 mm
saddle set back 3 mm
Pad reach to back of pad 474 mm
stack 640 mm
Height 181 cm
Cranks 172.5
Thanks

Nico,

Mortified! I'm so sorry. Here we go.

I'm going to add 50mm to your Pad X to assume the center of the pad. That's a pretty standard and accurate way to get to the numbers that Canyon uses: 524. And Pad Y of 640. There are two ways you could go for the 2019 Speedmax SLX

1) The medium, with a short stem, either bar (flat or rise), pads in the stock mounts and pushed forward one hole from the maximum, and 45mm of pedestal.
---or---
2) The large, short stem, either bar, pads dead center in stock mounts, and 10mm of pedestal.

I like both of these set-ups, and it's nice to have two bikes from which to choose as availability can be limited. Often times we speak of how a fit could, possibly, maybe evolve - and - is there room to roam on a certain size. Both of these options offer lots of Pad X movement, both fore and aft. The Pad Y is the limiter here: the small maxes out at 55mm of spacer so that's 10 up. The large maxes out at zero so that's 10mm down.

Get back to me if you have questions, and I'll be timely.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you very much Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

I was hoping to get a fit done in a few weeks before posting here, but a new 2018 Speedmax CF in what I think my size and preferred color has just become available, and I was wondering if you could confirm I would be a medium?

I have previously been fitted on a newer version Cervelo P2 in a size 56. I don't have the specific measurements unfortunately, but I was fairly much in the middle range of all the cockpit adjustments from memory, but the saddle was pushed back almost as far as it could go on the rails (using an Adamo saddle). Apparently I have long femurs?

I am 181cm tall and my inseam is 32-33in. The seat on my road bike is 765mm from the centre of the BB and I am more of a long torso short leg build.

Would you feel the Medium would be a good size?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian!

Wish I saw this thread earlier! Its awesome that you are helping out all the folks that are thinking about getting Canyon Speedmaxs figure out best options for fit. Havent never this type of time and dedication from someone before on the forums.

Well... I ended up purchasing a 2019 Canyon Speedmax CF 7.0 (Medium) 2 days ago and it is getting delivered on Monday (Jan 28). Now, I am 2nd guessing on whether this size is too big for me or not. The Canyon tool said that I should go small or medium the first time but they didnt have any smalls in stock so I went with medium. I remeasured today and think that I may have fat fingered something because now its saying that I should go with a small. I currently ride a 2014 Cervelo P3 (56) which I knew was one size too big but got it to work with a slammed front end.

Only have physical measurements to work with right now:
Height: 175 cm
Inseam: 80 cm (31-32")
Torso: 67 cm
Shoulder Width: 40 cm
Arm Length: 60 cm
Weight: 64 kg

Crank length: Currently have a 175 (it was stock on the Cervelo) but want to go down to 165 on new bike.

Should I return the medium and get a small size instead? I just checked today and it looks like a small is in stock now. Would rather do it right on an expensive bike than make it work.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Chirag Patel
Last edited by: cpatel529: Jan 26, 19 21:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dear Ian,

I’m about to buy my first TT bike, a Speedmax CF 8.0 SL. I’m 1.92m tall and currently ride a S-works roubaix SL3 (58cm), which fits well to me.

I was wondering to buy an XL Canyon, however when I input my measurements at their website, it suggests L size.

Could you please assist me on this matter? Should I go for the L frame?

Below some dimensions took during my bike fit. I have attached the full report only for the bicyle, due to the maximum size of attachments could not upload the my report.

Thigh Length: 455 mm
Shin Length: 436 mm
Hip to Wrist Vertical: -76 mm
Hip to Wrist Forward: 744 mm
Hip to Elbow Vertical: 109 mm
Hip to Elbow Forward: 526 mm

Thanks in advance
Best Regards,
Thiago
Last edited by: ThiagoP: Jan 28, 19 1:19
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [dave_o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Ian, curious where your Pad X/Y formula would put me at. I’ve been playing with my position a lot lately and interested to see how this lines up with what I have currently.

dave_o,

With that I'm coming up with a Pad Y of 606 and Pad X of 467.

In my opinion, you "playing with your position" is a logical and necessary process in improving your position on the bike. The formula is something we'd use to help make a bike purchase if it were not possible to get a complete, prescriptive fit before buying. In this situation It think those numbers (606-467) are only really good as an academic exercise in testing the accuracy of the formula itself. Good on you for chasing perfection.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [ChasingPB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hahaha classic that I would manage to run into that issue - and exactly why I'm shopping around trying to find a fit in my new place. My height is 177 cm

ChasingPB,

Thanks for working through this with me. When I work with those number I get a Pad Y of 618 and Pad X of 480. You're a bit over 6 feet but that height is created with more torso and less inseam so I tweaked the assumption to suit that morphology.

If those numbers are right you're in a GREAT spot for a Speedmax SLX in size medium with a short stem, either base bar (flat or rise), and 25m of arm pad pedestal. If gives you room to tweak up, down, closer, farther to find perfection.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [manamana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

I was hoping to get a fit done in a few weeks before posting here, but a new 2018 Speedmax CF in what I think my size and preferred color has just become available, and I was wondering if you could confirm I would be a medium?

I have previously been fitted on a newer version Cervelo P2 in a size 56. I don't have the specific measurements unfortunately, but I was fairly much in the middle range of all the cockpit adjustments from memory, but the saddle was pushed back almost as far as it could go on the rails (using an Adamo saddle). Apparently I have long femurs?

I am 181cm tall and my inseam is 32-33in. The seat on my road bike is 765mm from the centre of the BB and I am more of a long torso short leg build.

Would you feel the Medium would be a good size?

manamana,

I'm coming up with a Pad Y of 633 and Pad X of 489. I'm going to prescribe this off of the 2018 (twenty EIGHTEEN) Speedmax SLX. If that's a typo and you meant 2019 get back to me.

So, yeah, the medium is the best bet. And, if those numbers are right, that medium should be built with...flat bar, short stem, pads back all the way and a single 60mm spacer + 5mm spacer. That 60mm spacer does not come stock and has to be purchased as an after-market item. If you wanted to....You could do a rise bar with two 20mm spacers, it would still be a short stem and pads back all the way.

Hope you can grab that bike up!!!
Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That’s great, for that Ian.

Sorry for the confusion, but it’s a 2018 Speedmax CF 7.0 rather than the Speedmax SLX that I am looking at. Would you mind please re-checking the fit numbers as I understand the CF is a little shorter and taller? From what you have said, it may actually fit me better than the SLX?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [manamana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Sorry for the confusion, but it’s a 2018 Speedmax CF 7.0 rather than the Speedmax SLX that I am looking at. Would you mind please re-checking the fit numbers as I understand the CF is a little shorter and taller? From what you have said, it may actually fit me better than the SLX?

manamana,

I'm the one to apologize, it says CF right in your query. Yes, the medium CF will be right on the money, in the middle of the range. It should be perfect for you based on those numbers.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [cpatel529] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Well... I ended up purchasing a 2019 Canyon Speedmax CF 7.0 (Medium) 2 days ago and it is getting delivered on Monday (Jan 28)....Should I return the medium and get a small size instead?

cpatel529,
With the numbers you have (height, inseam, shoulder, torso, etc. etc) Canyon's PPS is your best bet to prescribe your CF. I'd need an accurate seat height to do better. Don't be put off by the vacillation between small and medium. Prolly half the population can fit on a small, medum, AND a large. And I'm am certain that if I had the numbers I like to work with I'd still offer up two different sizes. The proof is in the numbers:

The Pad Y range (this is how much the pads can go up or down) on the small is 582-669 and on the medium is 605-692. The overlap of 605-669 is huge! 65mm. That's a ton.
The Pad X range (this is how much the pads will shorten or lengthen the cockpit) is 447-472 and the medium is 467-492. The overlap there is 467-472 that too is pretty healthy - of course is even more than that realistically because both those bikes come with an 80mm stem yet they make a 70 and 90mm stem if one needed it.

I'm an advocate for being fit BEFORE you buy a bike but if that can't happen than I'm adamant about getting fit once it arrives. Canyon has a 30 day return so if you really do need a small you can get it but chances are you'll fit well on that medium.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
Well... I ended up purchasing a 2019 Canyon Speedmax CF 7.0 (Medium) 2 days ago and it is getting delivered on Monday (Jan 28)....Should I return the medium and get a small size instead?

cpatel529,
With the numbers you have (height, inseam, shoulder, torso, etc. etc) Canyon's PPS is your best bet to prescribe your CF. I'd need an accurate seat height to do better. Don't be put off by the vacillation between small and medium. Prolly half the population can fit on a small, medum, AND a large. And I'm am certain that if I had the numbers I like to work with I'd still offer up two different sizes. The proof is in the numbers:

The Pad Y range (this is how much the pads can go up or down) on the small is 582-669 and on the medium is 605-692. The overlap of 605-669 is huge! 65mm. That's a ton.
The Pad X range (this is how much the pads will shorten or lengthen the cockpit) is 447-472 and the medium is 467-492. The overlap there is 467-472 that too is pretty healthy - of course is even more than that realistically because both those bikes come with an 80mm stem yet they make a 70 and 90mm stem if one needed it.

I'm an advocate for being fit BEFORE you buy a bike but if that can't happen than I'm adamant about getting fit once it arrives. Canyon has a 30 day return so if you really do need a small you can get it but chances are you'll fit well on that medium.

Ian

Ian,
Thank you for the comments about my fit based on the minimal parameters that you provided.

I am back from from a work trip and took some additional numbers:

1. Center of BB to the front of of pads is 570 mm (to the back of my pads where my elbow/back of forearm sit is approx 500 mm). Could also pull the pads and aero bar in about 10-20 mm without a fit problem to reduce this pad x.
2. Center of the BB to the top of my pads is 620 mm
3. Saddle (ISM PN 1.1) height at the front part of saddle is 1000 mm
4. Saddle height at the rear part of saddle is 1030 mm
5. Nose of saddle is just about even with the front of the BB (I generally dont sit with my hip bones at the front tip of the saddle but prefer to sit a little bit further back with my groin hanging just off the front end of the saddle).
6. Current Crank: 175 but want to go down to 165 on Canyon

Hope this provides more insight into my current fit that i have...

Any recs between small and medium are much appreciated. Thanks!

Chi
Last edited by: cpatel529: Jan 28, 19 1:26
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [cpatel529] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Chi,

Thanks for staying on this with me. We're getting somewhere. I'm having a problem with a couple of your numbers, but let's go with the biggie. You're 5ft 9in with a 32in inseam (175cm tall with 80cm inseam) and your saddle height is 1000mm. Can we double check that? I think your seat height is more likely around 704-709mm. Can you measure from the center of the bottom bracket (on the non drive side so you can put the measuring device dead-center in the bb) and go up to the middle of the saddle at the top of the saddle.

Let me know, Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:

Chi,

Thanks for staying on this with me. We're getting somewhere. I'm having a problem with a couple of your numbers, but let's go with the biggie. You're 5ft 9in with a 32in inseam (175cm tall with 80cm inseam) and your saddle height is 1000mm. Can we double check that? I think your seat height is more likely around 704-709mm. Can you measure from the center of the bottom bracket (on the non drive side so you can put the measuring device dead-center in the bb) and go up to the middle of the saddle at the top of the saddle.

Let me know, Ian

Ian,
Sorry. My seat measurements were to the ground, not to the center of the BB.

New seat measurements is:
1. Average distance of center of bottom bracket to top of seat (my seat is tilted downward a little): 740

Hopefully that is closer to what you are expecting (or seat is a little higher than it should be).

Chi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hopefully that is closer to what you are expecting

Chi,

This is great, here we go. I think your Pad Y and Pad X (based on the numbers you gave me) should be right around 613 for Pad Y, and 473 for Pad X. The Pad Y at 613 is a number we can rejoice since you came in with 620. We're only 7mm apart. My proposed Pad X of 473 is far shorter than your number of 535. That's not an easy number to measure. If you wanted to get darn close at home you'd make sure the bike was level, you'd hang a plumb bob on a long string so it bisects the bottom bracket and then you'd measure level from below the saddle out forward to the center of the pad. This is best done with two people. But none of this may matter and here's why...

You've got a Speedmax CF size medium coming today, and the question the table is which bike is better for you the medium or the small. The answer is....wait for it.... it cannot be the small. Your Pad Y of 613-620 works perfectly on the medium. Your Pad X however cannot work on the small. If you're pad X is as short 473 as I'm guessing then the small won't make it. The small maxes out at 472. If you ride crazy long, CRAZY long, then the medium will get all the way out to 492 with the 80mm stem that comes on it (and 502 if you got a 90mm stem). If your Pad X is really 535 (and I'm dubious) you'd have to be on an XL to get to 535, and then your Pad Y wouldn't be possible.

It would be great if - over the next couple of days - you built the bike up to a place that felt good, comfortable, powerful - and then took a video at profile of you riding and posted it up here. I can make suggestions on that if you like.

An exciting day for deliveries!!!

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
Hopefully that is closer to what you are expecting

Chi,

This is great, here we go. I think your Pad Y and Pad X (based on the numbers you gave me) should be right around 613 for Pad Y, and 473 for Pad X. The Pad Y at 613 is a number we can rejoice since you came in with 620. We're only 7mm apart. My proposed Pad X of 473 is far shorter than your number of 535. That's not an easy number to measure. If you wanted to get darn close at home you'd make sure the bike was level, you'd hang a plumb bob on a long string so it bisects the bottom bracket and then you'd measure level from below the saddle out forward to the center of the pad. This is best done with two people. But none of this may matter and here's why...

You've got a Speedmax CF size medium coming today, and the question the table is which bike is better for you the medium or the small. The answer is....wait for it.... it cannot be the small. Your Pad Y of 613-620 works perfectly on the medium. Your Pad X however cannot work on the small. If you're pad X is as short 473 as I'm guessing then the small won't make it. The small maxes out at 472. If you ride crazy long, CRAZY long, then the medium will get all the way out to 492 with the 80mm stem that comes on it (and 502 if you got a 90mm stem). If your Pad X is really 535 (and I'm dubious) you'd have to be on an XL to get to 535, and then your Pad Y wouldn't be possible.

It would be great if - over the next couple of days - you built the bike up to a place that felt good, comfortable, powerful - and then took a video at profile of you riding and posted it up here. I can make suggestions on that if you like.

An exciting day for deliveries!!!

Ian

Ian,
Thank you SOO much!! You made my day with your insight based on the numbers that I provided. It was definitely difficult to measure pad x but I did the best that I could. However, seeing that a medium seems to be the only option for me (without going to an XL), I am going to stick with the frame that should be delivered in the next couple hours... Will use your recommended pad x and pad y numbers as a starting point and go from there. Also, will send you a video/picture to show the reach once I get everything setup to see if you have any additional recommendations..

Once again, appreciate the help and cant thank you enough!

Chi
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [ThiagoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Dear Ian,

I’m about to buy my first TT bike, a Speedmax CF 8.0 SL. I’m 1.92m tall and currently ride a S-works roubaix SL3 (58cm), which fits well to me.

I was wondering to buy an XL Canyon, however when I input my measurements at their website, it suggests L size.

Could you please assist me on this matter? Should I go for the L frame?

Thanks in advance
Best Regards,
Thiago

Thiago,

I took your height and used it along with a couple of numbers off your road bike fit report that I tweaked a tiny bit to assume where you might end up on a tri bike - there's a lot of supposition here, a pre-fit by an educated, experienced tri bike fitter with a dynamic fit bike is always best but.... I think you're Pad Y is roughly 672mm and your Pad X is roughly 518mm. Based on that....

I do think a Canyon Speedmax CF in size XL would be better for you than a Large. The Pad Y on either bike would work: the range on the Large is 627-714 and the range on the XL is 654-741. You have lots of room to go up or down - your road bike is pretty comfy: Robaix with a frame stack of 619 with 25mm of spacer and a -6deg stem. The Pad X is why I chose the XL over the Large for you. I think your Pad X is ~518mm and the range on the Large (488-513) comes up just a bit short. The XL's range is 508-533 and that should work. Also, it's important to note that both these bikes come with Canyon's longest stem for the CF.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dear Ian,

Thank you for your valuable analysis, I was more to the XL as well, and now I’m sure which one I’m going to buy!

Best Regards,
Thiago
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

I am looking at the 2019 SLX and my first question is if you can tilt the extensions up?

The below measurements are taken from my current bike with the extensions tilted up about 10 degrees:

Pad Y: 630 mm
Pad X: 540 mm

Saddle height: 777 mm
Saddle set back: 30 mm

My height: 182 cm

What size would you recommend?

Thanks,

Hans
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [Mr. Y] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

I am looking at the 2019 SLX and my first question is if you can tilt the extensions up? The below measurements are taken from my current bike with the extensions tilted up about 10 degrees:
Pad Y: 630 mm
Pad X: 540 mm
Saddle height: 777 mm
Saddle set back: 30 mm
My height: 182 cm
What size would you recommend?
Thanks, Hans

Hans,

Yes, you can tilt the bars 7 degrees.

For your coordinates you would want to be on a Medium, either bar (flat or rise), a long stem, pads forward a bit from center, and 35mm of arm pad pedestal.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian, thanks for starting up this thread.

The bike I'm interested in is the Speedmax CF 8.0 SL. Canyon PPS calls for a Medium frame, looking to confirm with you.

Measurements are;

Height: 184cm
Weight: 81kg
Inseam: 89.2cm
Torso: 60cm
Arm: 64cm
Pad reach: 493mm
Pad stack: 707mm

Thanks again,
-Todd
Quote Reply

Prev Next