My coordinates are as follows:

Pad X 475
Pad Y 605
Width 190
Saddle Height 760
Tilt 10 degrees on extensions

What size would work best for me?
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Ian,

I’m Lino and I’m current on a speedmax cf Slx 2019 small. My bike fit was done with retül and 51speedshop ultimate and I’m using the specialized sitero saddle. I’m looking for recommendation of a short crank for being more aero and I would appreciate if you can help me. I’m a competitive triathlete and I’m working everyday with my flexibility. Actually I’m using a 58T chainring and riding with a cadence of 67. My average speed is 39-41km/h in 120km in a flat course with 800-1000m during training.

Height 165cm
Weight 60kg
Pad Y 59cm
Pad X 56cm
Crank 170mm
Saddle height 68.7cm
Pad width (center to center) 16cm
Saddle nose to clip (center) 50cm

Thank you for you help.

Lino Nardin
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,
I'm planning to buy Speedmax CF 8 Disc (not CFR / SLX) for my first triathlon bike.
Please advise me what size might suit.

Tall 178cm
Inseam 83cm

Saddle height: 745mm
APR: 420mm to the rear of pads (460mm to the center)
APS: 640mm
*I'm using a road bike with Profile Design extensions.

According to PPS, size M will fit for me but I think size S will better based on the geometry (size M seems large for me)
Thank you for your assistance.

Sean
Last edited by: Sean116: Nov 18, 20 20:02
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ian - I maybe too small of a rider for this bike but here are my fit coordinates

Height 5'2
crank 155 Cobb
handlebar reach 458mm
arm pad reach 439mm
arm pad reach BB 448mm
arm pad stack BB 591mm

Hope this helps. or if you recommend any other smaller frame Tribikes - I don't mind 650b wheels either. Looking for options.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian,

First, thanks for all of the great responses to this thread, I’ve learned a ton just reading through the previous responses, and your willingness to help all of us make the best decision concerning which size to purchase is awesome.

I'm currently riding a 2011 Trek Speed Concept 7.0, size large, and when I was fit a few years ago, the fitter advised me that the bike was slightly small for me, but he was able to make it work. I've done a number of olympic distance and one half IM on the bike without any issues, but it does feel a bit cramped.

I'm looking at a Speedmax CF 8.0, not a disc although they look awesome, and I've put my height and inseam measurement in the sizer widget on canyon.com, and if I go on the high side it tells me large and if I go the low side it tells me medium, so I guess must be right on the edge for general sizing? I didn't get any "measurements" written down when I had my fitting, so I'm hoping I did the measurements correctly here to give you enough information to let you do what you do, but if something looks wrong, its probably user error.

Height is 185.5
Inseam 86.5
Pad X 429 (Middle of pad)
Pad Y 675

Saddle Height is 775 mm, stem is stock, and there are 40 mm of spacers under the stem.

In road bikes, I typically like a larger frame when I'm on the edge, but wasn't sure if that was a good idea here or not? So thanks in advance for any suggestions you can give!
Last edited by: Grendel: Nov 19, 20 1:13
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Interested in the Speedmax CF SLX 8
180cm, 75kg,
Pad X 475
Pad Y 605
Width 190
Saddle Height 760

Darren325,

We've now reached a point - in prescribing the Canyon Speedmax - where I have to ask you...
1) Do you mean the SLX rim brake bike or disc brake bike?
2) That Pad X looks to be measured to the rear of the pad, can you confirm?

Let me know, Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [Linonardin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hello Ian,

I’m Lino and I’m current on a speedmax cf Slx 2019 small. My bike fit was done with retül and 51speedshop ultimate and I’m using the specialized sitero saddle. I’m looking for recommendation of a short crank for being more aero and I would appreciate if you can help me. I’m a competitive triathlete and I’m working everyday with my flexibility. Actually I’m using a 58T chainring and riding with a cadence of 67. My average speed is 39-41km/h in 120km in a flat course with 800-1000m during training.
Height 165cm
Weight 60kg
Pad Y 59cm
Pad X 56cm
Crank 170mm
Saddle height 68.7cm
Pad width (center to center) 16cm
Saddle nose to clip (center) 50cm

Thank you for you help.

Lino Nardin

Lino,
At your height I would just assume that a crank shorter than 170 would be better. My thinking is not complex, it's based around this simple idea: if you rode with your aero bars lower you might (MIGHT) slip through the wind a bit more/have less drag. The common problem with lowering your bars while leaving your cranks long is that at the top of the pedal circle the long crank raises your leg to a point where the flesh in the hip starts to bind up and you a) are made uncomfortable by that and/or b) the leg circle is slowed by that impinged area. If you shorten the crank then the leg flows through the top of the pedal circle smoothly, quickly, easily.

Keep in mind: lower is NOT always faster. If there's something that keeps you from being comfortable lower then don't go there. Also, 165 is the shortest that the big brands go. I would think you'd do well on a 155 or 160 and for that you'd need to go to Cobb or Rotor or some other brand - all very good cranks by the way. It's not possible for me to be more specific without really seeing you on the bike and knowing some key measurements.

I am a coach as well as a bike fitter so I'd like to make comment on your cadence... Creating power on the bike is our goal. The formula can be expressed pretty simply and pretty accurately as: Cadence x Torque = Power. Let's pretend for a minute that your best ironman distance race would come from 200 watts of power (just a number to use an an example).

One way to make 200w is...
67rpm X HEAVY torque on a 58 tooth chain ring = 200w
My worry here is that your legs might be too tired from this style of riding to run well off the bike

Another way to make 200w is...
110rpm X very light torque on a 50 tooth chain ring = 200w
You're still making your 200w but you're doing this with a wildly fast cadence that might also leave your legs in bad shape for the run

Perhaps the best way to make 200w might be....
78-82rpm X moderate torque with a 52 or 53 tooth chain ring = 200w
You've still got your 200w and the hope is that your legs are fresher for the run

Even if you were just a time trialist - a cyclist who doesn't run - I would still want to explore the idea of increasing your cadence to increase power.

Thanks for letting me share my thoughts on that.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [Sean116] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hi Ian,
I'm planning to buy Speedmax CF 8 Disc (not CFR / SLX) for my first triathlon bike.
Please advise me what size might suit.
Tall 178cm
Inseam 83cm
Saddle height: 745mm
APR: 420mm to the rear of pads (460mm to the center)
APS: 640mm
*I'm using a road bike with Profile Design extensions.
According to PPS, size M will fit for me but I think size S will better based on the geometry (size M seems large for me)
Thank you for your assistance.
Sean

Sean116,
When I hear that someone is riding a road bike with clip-on aerobars I just immediately assume that the pads are higher than what would be optimal - even if someone has gone to extreme lengths: -23 degree stem, slammed, undermount aeros, etc. etc - the headtube on some many road bikes is tall AND the geometry on road bike's seat tube leaves your hips so far behind the bottom bracket that you never really get to go as long or as low as what might approach a good position.

Based on your morphology....I would think your Pad Y to be far closer to 630 and Pad X out to ~460.
If you got the Medium... the 460 is pretty much in the middle of the Pad X range so you'd have room to tweak to perfection. The Pad Y however bottoms out at 629 and my worry is that you might want to go lower and wouldn't be able to.
If you got the Small... the Pad Y is satisfied with some room to go up or down. The Pad X however maxes out at 467 and then if you wanted to go longer you'd simply purchase a 90mm stem to replace the 80mm that comes stock and you'd be golden.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,
Looking hard at a Speedmax CF8 to replace my 2010 Trek TTX 9 that was wrecked by an SUV. I was fit to a small and was very comfortable for IM and 70.3.
Bought a 2014 SC7 small to replace and could not get fit right so my question is which size for my measurements;
Height- 178cm
Weight- 69kg
TTX self measured X and Y-
X-450
Y-650
Thanks for the assistance
t

"There are no problems in life, just many leadership and learning opportunities." SED
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:

visafan,
All great questions, all good info - thank you. Right now I'm gonna keep this answer within two bicycles: the Canyon Speedmax SLX and the Canyon Speedmax CF. The SLX has been the "super bike" and the CF has been the "mortal bike". I'm being specific about this because I just received the numbers on the new disc brake Speedmax bikes that were released on Tuesday and I haven't spent enough time with them yet to feel confident prescribing that bike. I should by the end of the week.

Okay so, your Pad Y should be around 670 and your Pad X should be about 560 (center of pad. 510 to the rear).

For the rim brake SLX you're a size Large with 40mm of arm pad pedestal. That bike comes stock with the short stem but you'd need to purchase the long stem and mount the pads in the center holes.

For the rim brake CF it's the size XL and the Pad Y is no problem (you're right in the middle of the range) but the longest stem that Canyon makes this bike is a 90mm and that maxes out at the Pad X at 533 - you'd need to get 120mm stem and you'd have your cockpit set. The steer tube on the CF is the standard 1 1/8 and the base bar is the standard 31.8 so you can get almost any stem but I'd recommend the Profile-Design Aeria.

Don't hesitate to get back to me here with more question or if you'd like to hear what disc brake Speedmax would be right for you, I should be ready to speak to that this weekend.

Ian

Hi Ian,

Thank you very much for you answer! Now I have some more questions :-)

Those numbers for pad X and Y are higher than expected.
I was expecting something like 650/520 when I read the following blogpost from Dan:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...6_3_Riders_5905.html

There are some used Speedmax CF SL (with rim brake) in size L available in my country, but no XL.
According to the Canyon homepage, I'm right in the middle of size L (from 185cm to 195cm) with my height of 190cm.
Do you have background why Canyon recommends a different size?
Does a 2018 Speedmax CF have the same geometry than a 2019 or 2020 model?
To get a Pad X of 560, I would need a 130mm or 140mm stem for the CF in size L. Is this a huge compromise to make in terms of steering, stability etc.?

Now that my wife found out that I want to get a TT bike, she also wants one.
Which Speedmax CF would fit her?
Height: 171cm
Inseam: 83cm

Thanks and Regards,
Stefan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian, did you have any luck with the dimensions I gave in my previous post? (page 34)
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [sbarley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian, love the look of the new Speedmax CFR and CF SLX. Wondering what size and configurations might suit me:
Pad y: 640
Pad x: 525
(Both measurements to back of pad)
Thanks in advance!

Sam,
Thanks for the bump. It's been coming fast and furious since the announcement of the new bike. This answer I'm about to give you pertains to both the new CFR and SLX Disc.... Pad Y of 640 is no problem, that can be covered in the Small, the Medium and the Large...... and the XL can get as short as 644 - which might be acceptable as well. The 525 to back back of pad is tougher. This new bike isn't as long as the rim brake bike and the CFR/SLX Disc maxes out at 508 in the XL.

I've been dragging my feet in response to you and to a few others about this bike as I have a video conference set up with the chief engineer tomorrow morning (in LA, tomorrow night in Koblenz, Germany). I want to make sure I know it all. There maybe some additional pieces that allow for expansion on these numbers and I want to ask about.
For example there's an armrest upgrade kit and I'd like to confirm what that does to the Pad X numbers:

If anything changes I'll let you know here.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Last edited by: ianpeace: Nov 19, 20 13:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Ian, appreciate that you're getting a lot of requests on here! Definitely getting harder to find bikes that will allow that kind of reach. Sounds long but it's an awkward combo of super long torso and flexibility so it doesn't look as weird as you'd think. Look forward to hearing what you find out when speaking to the engineer…
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Yes this is for a fit on the new disc version of the bike.

Darren

ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
Interested in the Speedmax CF SLX 8
180cm, 75kg,
Pad X 475
Pad Y 605
Width 190
Saddle Height 760

Darren325,

We've now reached a point - in prescribing the Canyon Speedmax - where I have to ask you...
1) Do you mean the SLX rim brake bike or disc brake bike?
2) That Pad X looks to be measured to the rear of the pad, can you confirm?

Let me know, Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [mxblues98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mxblues98 wrote:
Hi Ian,
Looking hard at a Speedmax CF8 to replace my 2010 Trek TTX 9 that was wrecked by an SUV. I was fit to a small and was very comfortable for IM and 70.3.
Bought a 2014 SC7 small to replace and could not get fit right so my question is which size for my measurements;
Height- 178cm
Weight- 69kg
X-450
Y-650
t
Adding that inseam is 83 cm
Thinking a Medium is the right choice.
Have not been on a tri bike in 18 months so age (49) less flexible thinking med will get me where I need to be
With some room to move in either direction
Wife is letting me buy again (costing me buying her an ATV)
So jumping at this opportunity
Thanks for the help at such a busy time’
T

"There are no problems in life, just many leadership and learning opportunities." SED
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [sbarley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sam,
I've got your py at 640 and your px at 525... what's your seat height. I don't expect it to change the info from my previous post to you but I'd like explore it more.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Looks like its not as long and low as the rim bike was. Will there be multiple stem options again to compensate?

BogBoyND,
There are 4 front end configurations: Flat Short, Flat Long, Rise Short, Rise Long

The Flat/Rise refers to the base bar. The Short/Long refers to the "stem" length 65/85

These are the options but you're right this bike is not as long at the previous Speedmax SLX rim brake super bike.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [TriNoob24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Ian - I maybe too small of a rider for this bike but here are my fit coordinates

Height 5'2
crank 155 Cobb
handlebar reach 458mm
arm pad reach 439mm
arm pad reach BB 448mm
arm pad stack BB 591mm

TriNoob24,
Can I have your seat height?

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian - Seat Height = 642mm (BB to center of saddle profile), Saddle setback 9mm. I hope this helps.

Looking at disc brakes. I have an old Felt currently and got these numbers from previous fits.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [Grendel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Ian,

First, thanks for all of the great responses to this thread, I’ve learned a ton just reading through the previous responses, and your willingness to help all of us make the best decision concerning which size to purchase is awesome.

I'm currently riding a 2011 Trek Speed Concept 7.0, size large, and when I was fit a few years ago, the fitter advised me that the bike was slightly small for me, but he was able to make it work. I've done a number of olympic distance and one half IM on the bike without any issues, but it does feel a bit cramped.
I'm looking at a Speedmax CF 8.0, not a disc although they look awesome, and I've put my height and inseam measurement in the sizer widget on canyon.com, and if I go on the high side it tells me large and if I go the low side it tells me medium, so I guess must be right on the edge for general sizing? I didn't get any "measurements" written down when I had my fitting, so I'm hoping I did the measurements correctly here to give you enough information to let you do what you do, but if something looks wrong, its probably user error.

Height is 185.5
Inseam 86.5
Pad X 429 (Middle of pad)
Pad Y 675
Saddle Height is 775 mm, stem is stock, and there are 40 mm of spacers under the stem.

Grendel,
Fantastically comprehensive post. Thank you! You're on the tall side but inseam is well proportioned. I would have guessed your Pad Y to be more like 650 but 25mm higher isn't out of the question. What's out of the question is your Pad X which I'd expect to be 550ish to middle. I want to double check your Pad X.
Here's my request - position your bike on a flat floor and roll it straight to a wall so that the front wheel touches the wall. Measure from the wall back to the center of your arm pad (A) and then measure from the wall back to the center of the bottom bracket (B). Subtract A from B and let me know that number. Get back to me here and let me prescribe a Speedmax CF 8.0. A Great Bike!!!

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [mxblues98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,
Height- 178cm
Weight- 69kg
X-450
Y-650

mxblues98,
Okay, buckle up because I'm about to do 3 prescriptions in one post:
1) Your Pad X of 450 is to the center of the pad. You get a size small Speedmax CF and you go to the extremes: every bit of spacer that comes with that bike gets placed under the stem and under the aerobars. You'll top out at 649. Then you pull the pads back as short as they will go and you're at 447. I hate this fit! You're on a bike with it pushed to opposite extremes - super dubious!
2) Your Pad X is 450 to the rear of the pad and 500 to the center. You get a size Large and you're pretty much right in the middle of that bike's capabilities.
3) I think you can ride a bit longer than 450 (maybe out to 480ish to back of pad) and a bit lower than 650 (maybe down to 625ish) and there's got to be something that's keeping you from that: a) a saddle that is too far back, b) a saddle that is forward but only comfortable when you sit far back on it, c) cranks that are too long, d) just plain ol' "didn't go far enough" in the process. And if that's the case the Large still works.

Let me know about that 450 number - back of pad or center of pad?

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [visafan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

ianpeace wrote:

Quote:

visafan,
All great questions, all good info - thank you. Right now I'm gonna keep this answer within two bicycles: the Canyon Speedmax SLX and the Canyon Speedmax CF. The SLX has been the "super bike" and the CF has been the "mortal bike". I'm being specific about this because I just received the numbers on the new disc brake Speedmax bikes that were released on Tuesday and I haven't spent enough time with them yet to feel confident prescribing that bike. I should by the end of the week.

Okay so, your Pad Y should be around 670 and your Pad X should be about 560 (center of pad. 510 to the rear).

For the rim brake SLX you're a size Large with 40mm of arm pad pedestal. That bike comes stock with the short stem but you'd need to purchase the long stem and mount the pads in the center holes.

For the rim brake CF it's the size XL and the Pad Y is no problem (you're right in the middle of the range) but the longest stem that Canyon makes this bike is a 90mm and that maxes out at the Pad X at 533 - you'd need to get 120mm stem and you'd have your cockpit set. The steer tube on the CF is the standard 1 1/8 and the base bar is the standard 31.8 so you can get almost any stem but I'd recommend the Profile-Design Aeria.

Don't hesitate to get back to me here with more question or if you'd like to hear what disc brake Speedmax would be right for you, I should be ready to speak to that this weekend.

Ian

Hi Ian,

Thank you very much for you answer! Now I have some more questions :-)

Those numbers for pad X and Y are higher than expected.
I was expecting something like 650/520 when I read the following blogpost from Dan:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...6_3_Riders_5905.html

There are some used Speedmax CF SL (with rim brake) in size L available in my country, but no XL.
According to the Canyon homepage, I'm right in the middle of size L (from 185cm to 195cm) with my height of 190cm.
Do you have background why Canyon recommends a different size?
Does a 2018 Speedmax CF have the same geometry than a 2019 or 2020 model?
To get a Pad X of 560, I would need a 130mm or 140mm stem for the CF in size L. Is this a huge compromise to make in terms of steering, stability etc.?

Now that my wife found out that I want to get a TT bike, she also wants one.
Which Speedmax CF would fit her?
Height: 171cm
Inseam: 83cm

Stefan,
You expected 650 for a Pad Y and I gave you 670. This Pad Y number is related to your arm pad elevation (your "drop"). I like to error on the side of comfort in this number but if you choose to ride lower: 665, 660, 655, even 650 then you are good to go - as I prescribed the SLX can go down 40mm (as low as 630) and the CF can go down to 634. You expected 520 in a Pad X and I gave you 560 - but Dan's article speaks to "back of pad" measurement and this particular Canyon Speedmax (from 2018 and 2019) measures to the center of the pad, if you subtract ~50mm you are there at 510 and that's a lot closer to the 520.

The 2018 CF and the 2019 CF only differ in a little bit of Pad X (2018 is higher, 2019 is lower) and this is because the Profile-Design clip-on aerobar is a little bit different. A 130mm stem is on the long side but I doubt it'll trouble you. It matters less if a tri bike is a bit sluggish in steering because our courses are generally flat and straight and the responsive steering of, say, a crit bike isn't needed.

For your wife... I'm thinkin' Pad Y ~610 and Pad X of 450ish... She can fit on a rim brake Speedmax CF size Small or XS. If it's the XS she can only go up another 10mm as the Y maxes out at 620. I don't worry about as long as she rides a short crank - like a 155mm. Also on the XS she can only go out another 5mm to a max of 455 but I doubt that'll happen as she has pretty long legs for her height. If she rides the Small the Y is no problem, lots of room to move but the shortest the X goes is 447 with the 80mm stem that comes stock so if the bike is too long just get a 70 and you'll be set.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow thanks for the quick reply
The 450 measurement was from the back-
I used Dan's article in the fit section to try to mock this on the new SC
Couldn't do it- and now I feel like I look really cramped on it?
Curious as to why going right past the Medium?
Thanks
t

Last edited by: mxblues98: Nov 20, 20 13:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Ian. It’s 758mm from the BB to middle of saddle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the listed max back-pad reach of 508 on the XL with the 85mm stem?
Quote Reply

Prev Next