Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ian

hi - I'm interested in the new Speedmax and after some help with sizing.

I'm currently riding a P5-6:

Pad stack (to top of pad): 700
Pad reach (X): 450
Pad Z: 118

Thanks

Andrew
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [badger2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your help Ian. I have an athlete with the following:

Pad YX is 672mm x 427mm

CB
Physical Therapist/Endurance Coach
http://www.cadencept.net
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
Thank you sir :-)

Toothengineer,
You are welcome. I can tell you this.....the medium fits you and it fits you well. The seat height that doesn't allow the water bottle attachment could be perceived as a non-issue: that whole assembly is not included in the delivered bike and has to be purchased afterward and this whole idea of mounting a bottle on the seat post is new - most behind the seat bottle attachments are secured to the saddle rails anyway so you're not loosing anything there either.

I love the fact that the medium fits you with low spacers and all the stock items (flat bar, short stem, medium extension), it's very much right for you.

Take a look at other bikes for sure but keep this on in mind as it's a very good fit for you.

Ian

Thanks for the feedback. You are correct I run a sittero which has a bottle mount behind behind it..... I always figured canyon bottle set up saved a few watts by where it sits really tucked out of the wind. I guess mentally if I am paying 12k for bike to be able to use it with all the goodies it comes with, at 9-10k I could make scarifies. (Just kinda of talking this out out loud)

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:

Quote:

Hi Ian,

Yes this is for a fit on the new disc version of the bike.

Darren

ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
Interested in the Speedmax CF SLX 8
180cm, 75kg,
My coordinates are as follows:
Pad X 475
Pad Y 605
Width 190
Saddle Height 760
Tilt 10 degrees on extensions
What size would work best for me?

Darren325,

We've now reached a point - in prescribing the Canyon Speedmax - where I have to ask you...
1) Do you mean the SLX rim brake bike or disc brake bike?
2) That Pad X looks to be measured to the rear of the pad, can you confirm?

Let me know, Ian

Darren325,
For the new Speedmax CFR or SLX disc it's a medium with the short stem & flat bar that comes stock on the bike. You'll still have access to the water bottle cage bosses on the seat post.

Ian

I ordered the medium, and they are asking about the stem and extension length. In the email they suggested I go with a "long cockpit" but didn't specify if that meant the longer spacer, longer spacer and extensions, or short stem and longer extensions. Can I bother you to help me out one more time? You have been SOOOOOO helpful!! Thank you very much.

Darren,
You can keep on with me here all you need. No hesitation, I'm here for this.

Get the long stem with the flat bar (that's one piece) and get the medium extension.

Keep 'em coming, Ian

Ian, you are the saint of great bike fit!

I have one last question.

Ordered the Medium, short stem, flat bar.
Last choice is the bar extensions.....do I want short, medium or large?

Darren
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [badger2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Ian
hi - I'm interested in the new Speedmax and after some help with sizing.
I'm currently riding a P5-6:
Pad stack (to top of pad): 700
Pad reach (X): 450
Pad Z: 118

Andrew, two quick questions and I can deliver:
1) what's your seat height?
2) when you say "Pad Z" what do you mean?

Let me know, Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [PTinAZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Thanks for your help Ian. I have an athlete with the following:

Pad YX is 672mm x 427mm

CB,
I need the seat height too please.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
Hi Ian,

Yes this is for a fit on the new disc version of the bike.

Darren

ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
Interested in the Speedmax CF SLX 8
180cm, 75kg,
My coordinates are as follows:
Pad X 475
Pad Y 605
Width 190
Saddle Height 760
Tilt 10 degrees on extensions
What size would work best for me?

Darren325,

We've now reached a point - in prescribing the Canyon Speedmax - where I have to ask you...
1) Do you mean the SLX rim brake bike or disc brake bike?
2) That Pad X looks to be measured to the rear of the pad, can you confirm?

Let me know, Ian

Darren325,
For the new Speedmax CFR or SLX disc it's a medium with the short stem & flat bar that comes stock on the bike. You'll still have access to the water bottle cage bosses on the seat post.

Ian

I ordered the medium, and they are asking about the stem and extension length. In the email they suggested I go with a "long cockpit" but didn't specify if that meant the longer spacer, longer spacer and extensions, or short stem and longer extensions. Can I bother you to help me out one more time? You have been SOOOOOO helpful!! Thank you very much.

Darren,
You can keep on with me here all you need. No hesitation, I'm here for this.

Get the long stem with the flat bar (that's one piece) and get the medium extension.

Keep 'em coming, Ian

Ian, you are the saint of great bike fit!

I have one last question.

Ordered the Medium, short stem, flat bar.
Last choice is the bar extensions.....do I want short, medium or large?

Darren

Darren325,
Hang on. This is my bad because I gave you two opposing responses over our back and forth. Here's what you need:
  • Frame size is Medium
  • Handle bar is LONG and FLAT - not short and flat but LONG and flat.
  • Extension is Medium.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry

seat height 845

(Pad Z - pad centre to centre)

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone happen to know how the various base bar/stem configurations affect the fit range of the SLX?

I am going for my first fit tomorrow, and if the Speedmax is suited to me as I hope, I’m not sure my fitter will know these details since they don’t seem to be published anywhere. So I’m hoping to go to the fit able to arm him with as much information as possible to best advise me on frame size and base bar option.

Apologies if this has been detailed before and I’ve missed it!
Last edited by: DhobiWanKenobi: Nov 26, 20 5:33
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [DhobiWanKenobi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Does anyone happen to know how the various base bar/stem configurations affect the fit range of the SLX?

I am going for my first fit tomorrow, and if the Speedmax is suited to me as I hope, I’m not sure my fitter will know these details since they don’t seem to be published anywhere. So I’m hoping to go to the fit able to arm him with as much information as possible to best advise me on frame size and base bar option.

DhobiWanKenobi,
When you leave your fit come back here and give me your Pad Y, Pad X (to the back of the pad) and your seat height. I can prescribe the new Canyon Speedmax SLX disc bike from that.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:

DhobiWanKenobi,
When you leave your fit come back here and give me your Pad Y, Pad X (to the back of the pad) and your seat height. I can prescribe the new Canyon Speedmax SLX disc bike from that.

Ian

Many thanks, Ian. I appreciate it.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Howdy Y’all,

Ian Murray here - fit instructor at both the Slowtwitch F.I.S.T. bike fit school and at the Guru Academy.

I’ve created this thread in a Canyon endorsed capacity to help prescribe the proper Speedmax for you: not just the size of bike, but the front-end configuration as well. That means the length of stem, shape of base bar, amount of arm pad pedestal, etc. to make the Canyon you buy the best it can be.

I’m not the one to answer questions about availability, nor do all manner of customer service, handle warranty issues, nor be a suggestion box about colors and whatnot – but I can and will deliver on fit. I’m not the best guy to this by the way. David (cyclenutnz) is better. Dan (slowman) is better too, but both those guys are too damn busy, so the task has fallen to me – and, frankly, I’m stoked. At the 2017 Kona Expo, I did nearly 40 Canyon Speedmax Sizing fits in 2 days and it was a joy.

If you are looking to buy a Canyon Speedmax and you want to make sure you get the right size, touch base right here on this thread. Best practices are for you to post your Pad Y, Pad X (AKA Pad Stack, Pad Reach) and I will prescribe the proper Speedmax for you. If you don’t know your Pad Y & Pad X then let me assist you in identifying those coordinates.

Happy to help, Ian

Hey Ian,

I’m looking into possibly getting the rim brake Canyon CF 8.0 di2 and am assuming the XS would be fine for me but want to confirm.

Pad Y (stack) - 569mm
Pad x (reach) - 410mm
Seat height - 663mm

Thanks!
Last edited by: tritygr: Nov 26, 20 7:57
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Ian,
Just researching purchase options for a first tri-bike. Right now I have opurtunity to buy CF SLX Medium size but thinking about my size. This would be my first TRI bike, right now i'm on road bike Cannnondale supersix evo hi-mod size 56cm. So don't have pad stack and reach for tri bikes.

Height: 187cm
Inseam: 88 cm
Saddle Height: 78cm
Crank Length: 175mm
Stem: 12mm

Thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:

DhobiWanKenobi,

Ian

Ian,

Pad stack - 656
Pad reach (middle of pad) - 484
Saddle height - 811

I’m pretty sure that puts me bang in the middle of a size M?

Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian - thanks for your help! Here's the details for Canyon CFR size recommendation.

Height: 6' 4"
Inseam: 36"
Saddle Height: 876mm
Pad Stack: 636mm
Pad Reach: 565mm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

badger2,
For the new Speedmax disc brake bike CFR or CF SLX the bike is a size Large with the short stem/flat bar and the medium extension - all that comes stock on the bike. Your seat post will be exposed enough to allow access to the water bottle cage bosses if you want to utilize that.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [tritygr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hey Ian,

I’m looking into possibly getting the rim brake Canyon CF 8.0 di2 and am assuming the XS would be fine for me but want to confirm.

Pad Y (stack) - 569mm
Pad x (reach) - 410mm
Seat height - 663mm

Thanks!

tritygr,
The seat height of 663 demands the XS (SM can't get there).
The Pad Y of 569 works very well on the XS (have some room to move if need be).
Now, let's talk about that Pad X of 410. I suspect that is measured to the back of the pad - bare with me here - Canyon's Y/X chart for this bike measures to the center of the pad. 410 to rear = 460ish to center. The Pad X range on the XS is 430 to 455.

The bike comes stock with a 70mm stem. If you're not happy with the 455 and need that extra 5mm then get an 80mm stem (Canyon or any stem really as the steer tube 1' 1/8 and base bar clamp 31.8 are standard sizes). Some folks aren't that picky about 5-7mm in Pad X because elbows can be on the center of the pad or hanging off the back a bit and it matters little so you might be fine with the stem that arrives on the bike.

Get back to me here with questions if/when you have 'em.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [thomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Thanks Ian,
Just researching purchase options for a first tri-bike. Right now I have opurtunity to buy CF SLX Medium size but thinking about my size. This would be my first TRI bike, right now i'm on road bike Cannnondale supersix evo hi-mod size 56cm. So don't have pad stack and reach for tri bikes.

Height: 187cm
Inseam: 88 cm
Saddle Height: 78cm
Crank Length: 175mm
Stem: 12mm

Thank you!

thomp,
Because your legs are pretty long for your height I would say that your Pad Y is roughly 650 and your Pad X(rear) is near to 480.

We're at a weird (and for me, annoying time) when Canyon didn't really name the new bike differently enough to make things clear so here's what I'm doing to eliminate confusion. I'm taking the extra finger strokes to call out each bike by their brakes: the rim brake bike and the new disc brake bike. The way you're phrasing this I'm assuming your buying a used bike so that's gotta be the rim brake bike. If I'm wrong about that or if you're curious about buying the new disc brake just let me know here and I'll re prescribe for the new, disc brake bike.

So, the Canyon Speedmax CF SLX rim brake bike in a size Medium... will it fit you? The Pad X for sure and it'll be nicely centered so you can detail it fore-n-aft to find the perfect spot. The seat height will make it, that's not a worry. My concern is the Pad Y. This a "long and low" bike and the Medium maxes out at 650 - and that's with EVERYTHING under the aerobars: 45mm of pedestal and this aftermarket thing called a "high stack flat spring".

I want to expand on this... my worry is that the bike will be too low for you but it could work here are the musts for it to work.
1) the seller has to have all of the spacers and long bolts that came with the bike. You can get this from Canyon if the seller is missing them but that's something to be aware of.
2) you're gonna need this "high stack flat spring" thing. I have two in my studio so if you get stuck or Canyon is out just PM me and I'll figure out a price and shipping.
3) you're gonna have to run a 165 as your longest possible crank. You can NOT ride low with a long crank. The bike originally shipped with a 175mm crank - unless the previous owner swapped that out it just won't work.

Get back to me here with more questions if you have 'em.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian, I'd love to pick your brain on this as I'm in the market for my first TRI/TT bike and the 2021 SpeedMax CF 7 is in my top 2 (assuming framesets are the same with different builds/paint through the cf range) as I have the di2 group from my road bike that I am in the process of selling in a box and ready to get swapped over to what ever Tri/TT bike I get.

I personally do A LOT of TRI/TT bike set ups but our closest TRI/TT fitter is about 3.5 hours away so I'm really going into the process with limited information to base my sizing decision off of.

I'm 5'10"/5'11" with a 32.5" inseam

My preferred road frame size to race as well as daily ride is a 56 (lets used the tarmac as a useable base line here)

From reading through this thread it seems like Canyon is giving their buyers options to personalize their bike via crank length and cockpit dimensions (I could be wrong on this). Which is where the recommendations of a pro fitter really comes into play and is also the area where people without access to a true TRI/TT fitter are in the dark.

Thanks in advance sir I know this thread is much appreciated by many!

ig - @servicecourse_evv
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [DhobiWanKenobi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:

DhobiWanKenobi,

Ian
Ian,

Pad stack - 656
Pad reach (middle of pad) - 484
Saddle height - 811

I’m pretty sure that puts me bang in the middle of a size M?

Thanks in advance!

DhobiWanKenobi,
For a Pad Y of 656, a Pad X of 440 (to rear of pad*) and a seat height of 811. I'm writing this for a new, disc brake Canyon Speedmax CFR or CF SLX.

Yes, Medium - with the short stem/flat bar, and the medium extension that come stock. You'll have access to the bottle bosses behind the seat post. The only thing that you'll need to decide is... do you go with the large pedestal and pretty much nothing under it or do you do the medium pedestal and some spacers above that and will some of those spacers create aerobar tilt for you. Good to to have choices (you do) and good to have not too many choices (you don't).

*The new Speedmax measures to the back of the pad. The old Speedmax (rim brake) measured to the center of the pads. Pretty much all the pads we've known about in recent years are ~100mm long so I just tweaked the number you gave a bit.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [Iamkk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Ian - thanks for your help! Here's the details for Canyon CFR size recommendation.

Height: 6' 4"
Inseam: 36"
Saddle Height: 876mm
Pad Stack: 636mm
Pad Reach: 565mm

Iamkk,
The longest the Speedmax CFR goes is 528. Your Pad Y of 565 is LONGGGGG. Is that to the back of the pad or the middle of the pad?

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [ProWrench84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Ian, I'd love to pick your brain on this as I'm in the market for my first TRI/TT bike and the 2021 SpeedMax CF 7 is in my top 2 (assuming framesets are the same with different builds/paint through the cf range) as I have the di2 group from my road bike that I am in the process of selling in a box and ready to get swapped over to what ever Tri/TT bike I get.

I personally do A LOT of TRI/TT bike set ups but our closest TRI/TT fitter is about 3.5 hours away so I'm really going into the process with limited information to base my sizing decision off of.

My preferred road frame size to race as well as daily ride is a 56 (lets used the tarmac as a useable base line here)

From reading through this thread it seems like Canyon is giving their buyers options to personalize their bike via crank length and cockpit dimensions (I could be wrong on this). Which is where the recommendations of a pro fitter really comes into play and is also the area where people without access to a true TRI/TT fitter are in the dark.

ProWrench84,

What's your seat height on your road bike?

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:

ProWrench84,

What's your seat height on your road bike?

What measurement do you want? Spindle to top or center of BB to top? Also mm or inches?

ig - @servicecourse_evv
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CF and CF SLX [ProWrench84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
What measurement do you want? Spindle to top or center of BB to top? Also mm or inches?

Center of BB to top of saddle and in mm please.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Ian, center of BB to top of my saddle is 724mm with dura ace 9100 172.5 cranks time xpedo pedals and Shimano s-phyre shoes

ig - @servicecourse_evv
Quote Reply

Prev Next