Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [johnny_5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Ian,
How does one measure the dimensions you require(Pad Y, Pad X (AKA Pad Stack, Pad Reach). In the market for new bike and saw the Canyons.
Thanks

johnny_5,

My apologies for the delay, I missed this post earlier.

The Primer: For decades when someone was out to buy a "mortal" road bike (mortal = normal stem, cables exposed). All we did was recommend off of height. The times a suggestion for bike size can be made from height alone. If you're 6'1" then you're prolly a 58cm road bike. You're 5'4" get a 52cm. Then we woke up to the fact that some folks need a bike with long and low geometry to be optimal and some folks need a short and tall bike to be comfortable. Just an example: Canyon makes an Aeroad and an Endurace - both in size Medium. The Aeroad has a Stack of 560 and a Reach of 393 (long and low) while the Endurace in the same Medium size has a Stack of 578 and a Reach of 382 (shorter and taller). As we move now from mortal road bikes to super road bikes (molded, carbon stem/bar cockpit, cables hidden inside) then it's all the more critical that we KNOW not just what size frame we need but the details of that front end so we aren't playing about trying to find a good position with super expensive parts and hours & hours of time to swap front end bits due to internal cable routing.

For a tri bike - it's even more important, dare I say critical that we "prescribe" the Pad Y and Pad X BEFORE we buy.

There's a hierarchy of "goodness" (accuracy?) to how go about this:
Best: go to a fitter who's educated in tri, expereinced in tri, and has a dynamic fit bike (gotta have all three of those boxes checked). Go through a process on that type of fit bike and together you and the fitter will be left with your optimal position - and two sets of numbers: 1) Pad Y and Pad X allows you to purchase the proper bike and 2) all your coordinates so when the bike arrives you can have it in your exact position.

Very Good: take an existing tri bike that you own, that you've massaged into a great position that you like/love, and then measure the Pad Y, Pad X off of that bike. Post it to me here and I'll prescribe your new Canyon Speedmax from that. Here's how you do that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZa8UIIwrYE

Good: Give me your overall height, your inseam and I'll make an educated guess from that as to your Pad Y and Pad X and then you can purchase based on that.

Get back to me with questions or numbers and we'll go to the next step.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Takhir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hello! I never owned tri bike, but plan to order Canyon Speedmax CF SLX 8 Disc eTap. My height is 182, inseam 84, forearm length 38. From the rough perspective I need M size, but when it comes to the rest of customization, I'm stuck. Basically, I don't know whether I need a flat bar or a rise bar, and especially - the stem length (65 or 85 mm). Would you mind please give me some recommendations?

Takhir,
Based on your morphology (long-ish legs) I'd guess your Pad Y to be around 650 and your Pad X to be roughly 475.

For the Speedmax SLX the size Medium is the right call and I think you'd do well with mid pedestal that comes built into the bike... now, here's the thing... the bike will come stock with the short stem/flat cockpit and you should work with that at first. I think you'll need to push the pads out 100% and if that doesn't give you enough length then you can order the long cockpit - still flat though, you won't need the rise bar.

This prescription will be true for the CFR too but not the CF - that bike has both different geometry and front end hardware.

Ian
Hi Ian!

Thank you for your response. But as far as I heard, if the short stem won't work, then the long one would cost EUR 400 or so for me...
Also, what is the benefit of the rise bar? I see most uses the flat bar, but maybe that is due to rise bars haven't been available at all in the past for all bikes?

Takhir,
I'm glad you wrote back. I want you to be confident that you're acting with the best information.

Let me take the easy one first - "what is the benefit of the rise bar". The rise bar is needed when an athlete requires a great deal of pedestal under their aerobars. The rise bar elevates the brake levers so they are up higher, closer to that elevated aero position. Then, when an athlete needs to move from the aero position to the pursuit position they don't have as far to go. I didn't recommend this to you because I believe you'll only need the mid pedestal and then the pursuit position is already very near to the aero position making the rise bar unnecessary. By the way, not everyone with huge pedestal likes a high base bar - it's personal preference but I like to spec' it for safety when there's a lot of pedestal. Also, the 2018 and 2019 rim brake Speedmax also offered a rise bar - but again, it wasn't stock on the bike so few folks opted to purchase that.

Now, about short stem vs. long stem issue. Here in the USA Canyon sells each Speedmax with "stock" components and one of those is the short/flat cockpit. Even when an athlete already knows they need a long cockpit they still have to receive the bike with the stock bits and buy anything else they might need afterword. The max Pad X on a Medium Speedmax SLX with the short stem is ~465mm. I guessed your Pad X at 475. This measurement is to the back of the pad. Here are the things I'm unsure of:
1) Is your Pad X really 475? Maybe it's a bit longer or shorter than that, we don't know.
2) Do you like your elbows off the back of the pad or in the middle of the pad or somewhere in between. That can mean the difference of up to 40mm or more and we'd like to know that.
3) Does Canyon Europe allow a customer to order changes to their bike before it's shipped? I don't know. I need to know this and I will ask - but you'd probably get an answer faster by calling customer service. Please get back to me here on that so we can compare notes.

If you can get the bike built up as you like it - then get the long stem. If not - see if the short stem works for you because you're very close to the short stem with pads pushed out 100%.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [MtbTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Ian,
Looking at trying to pick up a CF SLX Disc. Currently on M SpeedConcept and should have been on a L as I am a bit to slammed.
Height 185.5
Inseam 84
Fit bike (adjusted for 170s)
661 stack
470 reach
It seems I am a L on the reach and in between on the stack.
Thanks in advance!

MtbTri,
I have to begin with obligatory, PSA - "Stack" and "Reach" are terms that refer to a place at the top of the bike's head tube. You mean Pad Y and Pad X. I might....might have accepted Pad Stack and Pad Reach, but probably would have still whipped out the ol' PSA for that too as it's a slippery slope to start using those monikers. Thank you for allowing my to defend these terms of art... now, on with an answer.....

You can fit on either the Medium or Large. Here's my advice and why....
You are dead center on a size Large for the Speedmax SLX with the stock, short cockpit. And this is the one I think you should get. I worry your seat height might be on the low side on this bike and it might (you didn't specific seat height, I'm guessing) bury one of the behind-the-post water bottle bosses. This is not a big deal because a) you still have the custom Fizik mounts that come built into the saddle or b) the option of putting any one of a dozen rail mounted rear bottle holders - or - c) you don't even care because you've got water in the frame of this bike and hose at the ready and bottle bosses on the downtube.
The Medium works too, but this is not my recco because you've got to get a long stem cockpit which are not stock and I don't know yet what they cost but I'm gonna guess they are nearly $500.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
Ian,
Looking at trying to pick up a CF SLX Disc. Currently on M SpeedConcept and should have been on a L as I am a bit to slammed.
Height 185.5
Inseam 84
661 stack
470 reach
Thanks in advance!

MtbTri,
I have to begin with obligatory, PSA - "Stack" and "Reach" are terms that refer to a place at the top of the bike's head tube. You mean Pad Y and Pad X. I might....might have accepted Pad Stack and Pad Reach, but probably would have still whipped out the ol' PSA for that too as it's a slippery slope to start using those monikers. Thank you for allowing my to defend these terms of art... now, on with an answer.....

You are dead center on a size Large for the Speedmax SLX with the stock, short cockpit. And this is the one I think you should get. I worry your seat height might be on the low side on this bike and it might (you didn't specific seat height, I'm guessing) bury one of the behind-the-post water bottle bosses. This is not a big deal because a) you still have the custom Fizik mounts that come built into the saddle or b) the option of putting any one of a dozen rail mounted rear bottle holders - or - c) you don't even care because you've got water in the frame of this bike and hose at the ready and bottle bosses on the downtube.
The Medium works too, but this is not my recco because you've got to get a long stem cockpit which are not stock and I don't know yet what they cost but I'm gonna guess they are nearly $500.

Ian

Ian,

Thanks for the psa and all the help!

Seat height on current bike is 775 (172.5 cranks). Looking at the site it looks like I would have ~180mm (7inches) of seat post exposed or am I reading that chart wrong?

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [MtbTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Ian,
Height 185.5
Inseam 84
661 stack
470 reach
Thanks in advance!
MtbTri,

Ian
Ian,

Thanks for the psa and all the help!

Seat height on current bike is 775 (172.5 cranks). Looking at the site it looks like I would have ~180mm (7inches) of seat post exposed or am I reading that chart wrong?

Scott,
On my prescriber it doesn't tell me how much post is exposed only if the bottle boss is revealed. And I think you'll be right on the edge, maybe it'll be there for you - but again, the Pad Y/X is so right for the Large that we have to kinda ignore this rather new and inconsequential aspect. Some (most) folks ride so far forward that even getting to a bottle behind the seat forces them up and out of the aero position - and it's even farther away when it's on the post. I'm not huge fan of them.

Also, you should make a STORNG consideration to 165mm cranks - the benefits are numerous, and you're seat post goes up.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Salutations Ian;

Looking to order Speedmax CFR (Etap)

Seat Height: 810.2
Pad X: 444.5
Pad Y: 594.0
Ext length: 355.6
What is max angle achieved with (stock/special) spacer/riser?(mantis)
Currently ride 165’s

Thank you in Advance

David
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [rowland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Salutations Ian;

Looking to order Speedmax CFR (Etap)

Seat Height: 810.2
Pad X: 444.5
Pad Y: 594.0
Ext length: 355.6
What is max angle achieved with (stock/special) spacer/riser?(mantis)
Currently ride 165’s

Thank you in Advance, David

David,
For the Speedmax CFR you need a Medium with the short cockpit that comes stock and you'll be pretty low in terms of pedestal and that's where your desire for aerobar "tilt" comes into the discussion. Below is a pic that I pulled out of the "Fitting Kit" document that describes the pieces that come with the CFR and how to use 'em. I don't think it's a huge deal that the orange text refers to the one wedge as 3deg and the other as 6deg while the green, highlighted images refer to the same wedges as 3.5deg and 7deg. That kind of inaccuracy, in this particular case, it's a critical issue for the vast majority of the folks I fit.

I had an SLX in here last week (same front end as the CFR) and I doubled up the two wedges to get what is probably 9 degrees of tilt but could be 10.5 degrees of tilt. So that is the neighborhood of your max aerobar tilt. I also want to add this: the grips can be rotated to any degree you want and that can help tune the tilt.
Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have pictures of an XL CF Disc?
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Does anyone have pictures of an XL CF Disc?

BigBoyND

I don't know what size this is but it's a CF does that help at all?

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great color! But no, I am specifically curious about how the XL looks. It's one of the few bikes that has considerable (10mm+) reach compared to my current bike, which is really stretched out. But the CF is also pretty tall, 50mm taller frame stack than my current bike, so I was wondering what that looks like.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian,
Thanks for the detailed response. Based on the 3 options you provided I did have a bike fit after the fact - it was on a P3 (54) about 2 years ago. Unfortunately none of the parameters were provided. The bike fit well for the most part but ended up selling the bike a few weeks back.

Based on my height 5.10 1/2 in and inseam 33.75 in a MED in the Canyon CF SLX 8.0 seemed appropriate.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [johnny_5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Ian,
How does one measure the dimensions you require(Pad Y, Pad X (AKA Pad Stack, Pad Reach). In the market for new bike and saw the Canyons.
Thanks
johnny_5,

My apologies for the delay, I missed this post earlier.

The Primer: For decades when someone was out to buy a "mortal" road bike (mortal = normal stem, cables exposed). All we did was recommend off of height. The times a suggestion for bike size can be made from height alone. If you're 6'1" then you're prolly a 58cm road bike. You're 5'4" get a 52cm. Then we woke up to the fact that some folks need a bike with long and low geometry to be optimal and some folks need a short and tall bike to be comfortable. Just an example: Canyon makes an Aeroad and an Endurace - both in size Medium. The Aeroad has a Stack of 560 and a Reach of 393 (long and low) while the Endurace in the same Medium size has a Stack of 578 and a Reach of 382 (shorter and taller). As we move now from mortal road bikes to super road bikes (molded, carbon stem/bar cockpit, cables hidden inside) then it's all the more critical that we KNOW not just what size frame we need but the details of that front end so we aren't playing about trying to find a good position with super expensive parts and hours & hours of time to swap front end bits due to internal cable routing.

For a tri bike - it's even more important, dare I say critical that we "prescribe" the Pad Y and Pad X BEFORE we buy.

There's a hierarchy of "goodness" (accuracy?) to how go about this:
Best: go to a fitter who's educated in tri, expereinced in tri, and has a dynamic fit bike (gotta have all three of those boxes checked). Go through a process on that type of fit bike and together you and the fitter will be left with your optimal position - and two sets of numbers: 1) Pad Y and Pad X allows you to purchase the proper bike and 2) all your coordinates so when the bike arrives you can have it in your exact position.

Very Good: take an existing tri bike that you own, that you've massaged into a great position that you like/love, and then measure the Pad Y, Pad X off of that bike. Post it to me here and I'll prescribe your new Canyon Speedmax from that. Here's how you do that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZa8UIIwrYE

Good: Give me your overall height, your inseam and I'll make an educated guess from that as to your Pad Y and Pad X and then you can purchase based on that.

Get back to me with questions or numbers and we'll go to the next step.

Ian

Ian,
Thanks for the detailed response. Based on the 3 options you provided I did have a bike fit after the fact - it was on a P3 (54) about 2 years ago. Unfortunately none of the parameters were provided. The bike fit well for the most part but ended up selling the bike a few weeks back.

Based on my height 5.10 1/2 in and inseam 33.75 in a MED in the Canyon CF SLX 8.0 seemed appropriate.

Johnny_5,
Based on your morphology your Pad Y is roughly 640 and your Pad X is around 470. The Medium CF will be perfect. You'll be right in the middle in terms of fore/aft of pad movement and that's great. You'll also have a little bit of room to go lower if you like and a lot of room to raise the bars for comfort. It's a good choice.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Takhir,
I'm glad you wrote back. I want you to be confident that you're acting with the best information.

Let me take the easy one first - "what is the benefit of the rise bar". The rise bar is needed when an athlete requires a great deal of pedestal under their aerobars. The rise bar elevates the brake levers so they are up higher, closer to that elevated aero position. Then, when an athlete needs to move from the aero position to the pursuit position they don't have as far to go. I didn't recommend this to you because I believe you'll only need the mid pedestal and then the pursuit position is already very near to the aero position making the rise bar unnecessary. By the way, not everyone with huge pedestal likes a high base bar - it's personal preference but I like to spec' it for safety when there's a lot of pedestal. Also, the 2018 and 2019 rim brake Speedmax also offered a rise bar - but again, it wasn't stock on the bike so few folks opted to purchase that.

Now, about short stem vs. long stem issue. Here in the USA Canyon sells each Speedmax with "stock" components and one of those is the short/flat cockpit. Even when an athlete already knows they need a long cockpit they still have to receive the bike with the stock bits and buy anything else they might need afterword. The max Pad X on a Medium Speedmax SLX with the short stem is ~465mm. I guessed your Pad X at 475. This measurement is to the back of the pad. Here are the things I'm unsure of:
1) Is your Pad X really 475? Maybe it's a bit longer or shorter than that, we don't know.
2) Do you like your elbows off the back of the pad or in the middle of the pad or somewhere in between. That can mean the difference of up to 40mm or more and we'd like to know that.
3) Does Canyon Europe allow a customer to order changes to their bike before it's shipped? I don't know. I need to know this and I will ask - but you'd probably get an answer faster by calling customer service. Please get back to me here on that so we can compare notes.

If you can get the bike built up as you like it - then get the long stem. If not - see if the short stem works for you because you're very close to the short stem with pads pushed out 100%.

Ian

Hi Ian!

Thank you for your quick and detailed responses. Now, the Canyon customization webpage is in front of me and I will list everything they suggest to chose in Europe, for free, when you buy a bike:

1. Stem size 65 mm (they call it short) / 85 mm (long)
2. Flat or rise bar (0 mm / 40 mm)
3. Aerobar short (305-365 mm) / medium (325-405 mm) / large (360-440 mm)
4. Cassette (SRAM / Shimano)
5. Cassette options (10-28T / 10-33T)

What would be your recommendation then as there is no additional costs when you chose one vs another?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hopefully you can help me out...

Iam looking at the 2021 speedmax cf 8

Seat height. 749.3mm
Pad x. 425.45
Pad y. 711.2

Canyon says iam a medium. Does that sound right to you? Current bike is a large specialized shiv.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Seth2574] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Seat height. 749.3mm
Pad x. 425.45
Pad y. 711.2
Canyon says iam a medium. Does that sound right to you? Current bike is a large specialized shiv.

Seth2574,
Okay, here's my comprehensive answer... if these are the numbers from your optimal position then yes, it's a Medium. The 80mm stem that comes stock will work. You'll pull the pads back one hole forward of max-rear position and you'll have ~25mm of pedestal. I think you're better suited on Small and here's why... That Pad Y of 711 is outside where most folks ride. Now, maybe there's a reason. Maybe you've got legs so long that you legally changed your name to Stilts, or maybe your riding on 175mm cranks for some reason, or maybe you've got 5 fused vertebrae in your lumbar, or maybe some other bizarre anomaly. But I bet your completely normal AND your not riding forward enough in our saddle position - That might the result of an uncomfortable saddle, or the seat could have slipped back on the rails, or some other issue.

When you move forward - not if, but when you move forward the arm pads will move forward too and you'll be super comfy lower. The Pad Y on the Speedmax CF size Small is 706 - you're at 711. That's 5mm lower. I think you might be able to ride 30mm lower and if it's anywhere between 5 and 30 you should get a Small: you'll be dead center in the fore/aft pad range, the post will be out of the frame so you can mount the bottle behind it, it'll be a far better position and fit.

Get back to me here if you have questions.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Seth2574] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seth2574 wrote:

Seat height. 749.3mm
Pad x. 425.45
Pad y. 711.2

What measuring device did you use to come up with 425.45mm?
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used a standard tape measure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You did beautifully. I thank you for the precision!

Seth2574 you are not only welcome to this thread anytime you need anything but you are also welcome to this forum. Good on ya.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, i just bought a Speedmax CF 9.0 2015 model size medium for TT competitions. I allready have a Shiv Tri size large with This setup:

Arm pad reach (back of pad): 466mm
Arm Pad stack: 673mm

Is This setup possible on the medium Canyon? I have have the integrated and flat (no riser) stem/handlebar.

Do Canyon still sell spacers/bolts for this model? Last owner has stripped the bolts fastening the armpads/clamp for aerobars....

I am very grateful if someone Can help :)
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [BenjiChr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hi, i just bought a Speedmax CF 9.0 2015 model size medium for TT competitions. I allready have a Shiv Tri size large with This setup:

Arm pad reach (back of pad): 466mm
Arm Pad stack: 673mm

Is This setup possible on the medium Canyon? I have have the integrated and flat (no riser) stem/handlebar.

Do Canyon still sell spacers/bolts for this model? Last owner has stripped the bolts fastening the armpads/clamp for aerobars....

I am very grateful if someone Can help :)

BenjiChr,
Great post! Challenging for me!!

Canyon didn't open for business in the USA 'til 2017 and that's when my focus was put on them. The 2017-2018 Speedmax CF in size Medium did have a max Pad Y of 672 - only 1mm off your 673. And a max Pad X of 442 (to rear of pad) - which is a good bit shorter than your goal of 466. BUT all of that was with a Profile Design clip on aerobar. I look up some pictures of a 2015 and I'm not at all famaliar with that stem/bar setup. I'd call Canyon home office in Koblenz and see if they have parts and the original Pad Y/Pad X range numbers for that bike - one last tip, back in those days Canyon measured their Pad X to the middle of the pad (no longer the case) so if they give you a Pad X number subtract ~45mm from that to get the Pad X rear number.

Sorry I can't be more help than that.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

Thank you so much for providing this service. I’m looking to pull the trigger on a Speedmax CF SLX 8 Disc Di2 and am looking for sizing/pedestal/armpad/seat height recommendations.

Just a bit of back-ground info. I am currently riding a Trek Domane with clip-on’s, seatpost set forward and 175mm cranks. This has worked for an Ironman but is definitely a compromise.

As I have not owned a Tri bike in the past, I went for a frame fit to match up with a couple of different bike brands, to figure out what might work.

The attached measurements are from that frame fit, and I felt pretty comfortable in this position.

As the Speedmax comes with 172.5mm cranks, could you also consider the fact that I will change to 165mm cranks sometime later, when providing feedback.

Height: 180cm
Inseam: 81cm

The Canyon site is saying Medium based on my height and inseam.
Your recommendation would be very much appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Markrob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,
Thank you so much for providing this service. I’m looking to pull the trigger on a Speedmax CF SLX 8 Disc Di2 and am looking for sizing/pedestal/armpad/seat height recommendations.
Just a bit of back-ground info. I am currently riding a Trek Domane with clip-on’s, seatpost set forward and 175mm cranks. This has worked for an Ironman but is definitely a compromise.
As I have not owned a Tri bike in the past, I went for a frame fit to match up with a couple of different bike brands, to figure out what might work.
The attached measurements are from that frame fit, and I felt pretty comfortable in this position.
As the Speedmax comes with 172.5mm cranks, could you also consider the fact that I will change to 165mm cranks sometime later, when providing feedback.
Height: 180cm
Inseam: 81cm
The Canyon site is saying Medium based on my height and inseam.
Your recommendation would be very much appreciated.

Markrob,
If your fit numbers are right (Seat Height 754, Pad Y 642, Pad X 444) then then you are right in the heart of the Medium SLX with the short cockpit and the mid spacer that comes built into the bike when shipped. You might even be right for where they mount the arm pads fore/aft.

I looked closely at the fit sheet and there's some stuff I want to mention: 1) you were fit using a tri saddle - (ISM, good!). The set back is 74mm. It's really important that you were sitting, in comfort, on the front half of that saddle during the fit. If not you need to either a) move the saddle forward more so the setback is more like 30-40mm, or b) switch to a saddle that allows you to sit comfy on the nose. 2) I bring this up because while your Pad Y is only 12mm higher than I though it would be your Pad Y is a full 45mm shorter than I expected it to be. 3) Good on you for going to 165mm cranks. This fit should have been done on 165s or even 160s and had that happened the result would still be a Medium but I bet your drop would be lower than 89mm. The great news is that any progression into a lower/longer position that one might expect to happen from shorter cranks and - maybe - a saddle change would still work well on the Medium.

There's a number that I need to address: your pad width of 241 can't be had on the SLX - max is 180mm. After some rides if you find that's too crampy for your rear delt get back to me here and let's discuss options.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the timely response Ian.
I am currently using a ISM 3.0PR saddle, and sit on the front half. If anything, i do scoot a bit further forward from time to time, so I would maybe look to moving it 20mm forward and see how that feels.
For point #2, I assume you are referring to the Pad X being 45mm short. I guess this is mainly due to the fact that my current Pad X is 392mm as a result of the current bike geometry. This is far from ideal, but limited due to available stem lengths (I'm at 110mm). Hence my desire to get on a tri bike sooner rather than later.
The pad width is definitely a concern, but something I will just have to try out and see how it goes. I see others have also asked the question of whether Canyon will be producing a wider arm-rest bracket.....we'll see.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seth2574 wrote:
I used a standard tape measure.

A standard tape measure can't measure 0.1mm, much less 0.05mm.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Convert inchs to mm or cm
Quote Reply

Prev Next