Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Roktar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi there Ian!

I´m thinking on the Speedmax CF 8 Disc as my first triathlon bike. I´ve never been fitted, so I can't provide reach and stack...
Height: 178 cm
Inseam: 82.5cm
Sadle height for my current road bike is set at 73 cm

Roktar,
I'd put your Pad Y in the neighborhood of 635 and your Pad X roughly 470. You can fit on both a Medium and a Small but I like the Medium better. The stem that comes stock on that is 80mm long and it'll land you in the middle of the Pad X range and very near the bottom of the Pad Y range (read: slammed) which makes the bike handle a better. you could fit on both.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [DNJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Ian,

I would love some help. Looking to purchase a new CFR when stock becomes available. Canyon's website rec's a Medium but I'm right at the point that it would change to a Large. This will be my first Tri/TT bike, So I have no clue what my Pad X/Y measurements are. Use will be for Ultra distance racing(think 24hr TT's and 500ish mile road races). Here are what I do have:

Height 185cm
Inseam 91cm
saddle height on my road bike 81cm with 175mm cranks.

DNJ,
Sorry I missed this earlier. I appreciate the notes on the ultra goals and inseam - all helpful.

I think your Pad Y should be around 660mm and Pad X at 480ish. Both the XL and LG will work but I think you should get the Large. It'll comes stock with the short stem in the USA and that with pads pushed forward quite a bit will give you 480 plus a bit more room if you want to go longer (and if you want to go crazy long you can get the long stem). As to the pad elevation you're right on the boarder of the low and mid spacer so you can play with tilt and drop to get it perfect with lots of room to go up or down.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [JayTeeHaitch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,
It's been a while but I'm still looking at the CF 8 disc mechanical ultegra. I've done a bit more time on my current TT bike and I think the fit is pretty good, a lot lower than the Shiv but still comfortable and I've managed to get some closer measurements.

Edit: I just watched your video on how to do the measurements, so I've re-done it.

My height - 182cm
My inseam - 90cm
Stack - 670mm
Reach - 390mm
Saddle height - 805mm (I measured at the same angle as the seat tube, however, I think I sit a fair bit forward of that point. My current bike has 170mm cranks.)

The canyon site recommends size M, and my measurements do fit(Edit: well they did when I measured to the centre of the pads, but not measuring to the back).

JayTeeHaitch,
Sorry for the slow response. Hope this still helps.
It seems you're pretty clear on the Pad Y of 670. But, I'm confused.... if the Pad X of your current bike in the pics 390mm to the rear of the pad or the middle?

BTW...
  • Don't sweat the seat tube angle. Yes your bike is pretty shallow and all modern tri bikes are steeper but you're saddle is slid foward on the rails and you're riding right where that saddle is desiged to be ridden (off the nose) so you're riding pretty steep as you are right now. It's all good.
  • You ride a wee bit cramped but it's not an outlier position. Perhaps over time you'll stretch out a bit.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [PB252] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hi Ian,

...Really hoping to get your fit assistance with a new CFR etap disc. Currently ride a p5x large. I’ve been fitted but adjustments over time have been made here and there. Based on the website it looks like I’d fall into medium or large.

I think I did the measurement right following on the video but please let me know if they look way out of normal.

X: 450
Y:620
Seat: 765
Height: 189cm
Inner leg measurement (instructions on the website): 86cm
Long torso

Thanks in advance for your help!

PB252,
Sorry for delay, hope this still helps..
Medium, no doubt. Dead center in pad range with short stem that comes stock and low spacer.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Ian,

I am curious and considering *maybe* a Canyon Speedmax CFR Disc eTap. I am currently quite well dialed in on a Cervelo P5d size 54 (Fit by John Cobb, approved by slowman)

Seat height 738 mm
Stack 640
reach 470 (425 to back of pads)
Cranks 170

David,
"Fit by Cobb and approved by Slowman" - can there be any doubt!!!
CFR.. both Medium and Small work but I like the small better: short stem, mid spacer under aerobars, you're golden.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you very much Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
Hi Ian,

...Really hoping to get your fit assistance with a new CFR etap disc. Currently ride a p5x large. I’ve been fitted but adjustments over time have been made here and there. Based on the website it looks like I’d fall into medium or large.

I think I did the measurement right following on the video but please let me know if they look way out of normal.

X: 450
Y:620
Seat: 765
Height: 189cm
Inner leg measurement (instructions on the website): 86cm
Long torso

Thanks in advance for your help!

PB252,
Sorry for delay, hope this still helps..
Medium, no doubt. Dead center in pad range with short stem that comes stock and low spacer.

Ian

Thanks. I bought a medium so if anything, the reassurance helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [PB252] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian ,

I am looking for a speedmax SLX.
I actually ride a 2014 BMC TM02 size SM.
My position on the bike ( bike fit 7 years ago) is not bad but probably need to be refresh.

Height : 181
Seat : 76,5
pad X : 410
pad Y : 650

The canyon website tells me size M.

I recently realized a new bike fitting for my road bike using the shimano bikefiting and they also give me the theorical position on a tri bike. ( picture attached)

Big thanks in advance for your advice :)
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [toniog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian ,

My position on the bike ( bike fit 7 years ago) is not bad but probably need to be refresh.

I recently realized a new bike fitting for my road bike using the shimano bikefiting and they also give me the theorical position on a tri bike. ( picture attached)

toniog,
We've got 3 elements from which to work..
1) 650/410 from your fit a while back
2) 635/465 from my mathematical presumption
3) and some numbers from a road fit that tried to guess a tri position. There's no Pad Y/X in there, in fact I can only see a Stack number and no Reach - but that's a frame measurement anyway so... also, I see that that prescription recomends 172.5 cranks so I'm not sure it'd trust a Pad Y/X from that anyway.

So, yes, a Medium is the call and, here's the great news, the medium will work with either numbers. If you're Pad Y is 650 or 635 - no problem, both those work and below and above them for some movement if you need it. Also, the Pad X differential of 410 to 465 is sizeable and those can both happen on the meidum: 405 is the shortest, and 485 the longest so you're probably somewhere nicely in between.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Hi Ian ,

toniog,
We've got 3 elements from which to work..
1) 650/410 from your fit a while back
2) 635/465 from my mathematical presumption
3) and some numbers from a road fit that tried to guess a tri position. There's no Pad Y/X in there, in fact I can only see a Stack number and no Reach - but that's a frame measurement anyway so... also, I see that that prescription recomends 172.5 cranks so I'm not sure it'd trust a Pad Y/X from that anyway.

So, yes, a Medium is the call and, here's the great news, the medium will work with either numbers. If you're Pad Y is 650 or 635 - no problem, both those work and below and above them for some movement if you need it. Also, the Pad X differential of 410 to 465 is sizeable and those can both happen on the meidum: 405 is the shortest, and 485 the longest so you're probably somewhere nicely in between.

Ian

thank's a lot !
Last edited by: toniog: Sep 30, 22 5:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Ian,

Looking to upgrade my bike for a CFR. Canyon tells me Medium but I am concerned about how much extension the bars will give. It's not clear how much reach I can get when the bars are in full extension.

I am 186cm, 89.4cm inseam

My current setup is pretty agressive,
- 600cm stack of stack.
- 48 cm elbow pads reach measured from the middle of the BB

The aerobars reach is 40cm from the pads but I'm looking for 5-7cm more (I currently end up reaching for the mechanical shifters to extend my reach). Not sure if the Medium will allow that.

Going large; looks like it will not go low enough.

Thanks for your time,
Last edited by: EtienneC: Oct 2, 22 14:59
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [EtienneC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Ian,

Looking to upgrade my bike for a CFR. Canyon tells me Medium but I am concerned about how much extension the bars will give. It's not clear how much reach I can get when the bars are in full extension.

- 600cm stack of stack.

The aerobars reach is 40cm from the pads but I'm looking for 5-7cm more (I currently end up reaching for the mechanical shifters to extend my reach). Not sure if the Medium will allow that.

EtienneC,
I know you meant mm for Pad Y of 600, no worries there. And I've got you at 480mm of Pad X to the rear of the pad.
You've got pretty long legs for your height, yes I'd agree that you're riding longer and lower then I would have expected (let's hope you're doing that on really short cranks).

The Medium in the CFR will meet your at your coordinates with some caviots...
1) You have to get the long stem. Of course on this bike, on any super bike, that "stem" is a one-piece, molded carb stem-basebar combo. The max is 485ish with the long stem so you're covered in terms of the Pad X. You have choices to make on the longer stem. There's a long stem with a flat base bar, a long stem with a rise base bar and then within those two options they make a Shimano or SRAM specific build. I have part numbers on those if you need 'em hit up here.
2) The aerobar extension seems like it's another concern - and I think of and measure this from the back of the pad to the shifter button. It sounds to me like you need the long aerobar (this is the singluar bar that connects the arm pads to the aerobar grips). Judging from the diagrams I have it appears they make a long back half (from arm pads) and then a long front half (from the grips back, this one inserts into the back half).

If you get the Medium with those bits, you should be good to go, and yes, you're correct, the lowest the large goes is 620.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Ian,

Thanks for all this information.

I would gladly take those part numbers you mentionned; long flat base bar and long aerobars (shimano)

Regards,

Etienne C.

ianpeace wrote:
Quote:
Ian,

- 600cm stack of stack.

EtienneC,
I know you meant mm for Pad Y of 600, no worries there. And I've got you at 480mm of Pad X to the rear of the pad.
You've got pretty long legs for your height, yes I'd agree that you're riding longer and lower then I would have expected (let's hope you're doing that on really short cranks).

The Medium in the CFR will meet your at your coordinates with some caviots...
1) You have to get the long stem. Of course on this bike, on any super bike, that "stem" is a one-piece, molded carb stem-basebar combo. The max is 485ish with the long stem so you're covered in terms of the Pad X. You have choices to make on the longer stem. There's a long stem with a flat base bar, a long stem with a rise base bar and then within those two options they make a Shimano or SRAM specific build. I have part numbers on those if you need 'em hit up here.
2) The aerobar extension seems like it's another concern - and I think of and measure this from the back of the pad to the shifter button. It sounds to me like you need the long aerobar (this is the singluar bar that connects the arm pads to the aerobar grips). Judging from the diagrams I have it appears they make a long back half (from arm pads) and then a long front half (from the grips back, this one inserts into the back half).

If you get the Medium with those bits, you should be good to go, and yes, you're correct, the lowest the large goes is 620.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just wondering how wide the arm pads go as I can't find it anywhere online.

thx
Kar-Ming
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Old lungs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For which Speedmax: CF or SLX/CFR?

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sorry. slx/cfr

thx
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [EtienneC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Ian,

Thanks for all this information.

I would gladly take those part numbers you mentionned; long flat base bar and long aerobars (shimano)

Etienne,
The long-flat base bar for Shimano is CP0019-01-SH. The SH at the end signifies Shimano.
One half of the long aerobar is EP-1244-01 and the other half is EP-1243-01. In my diagram the call the half near the arm pads the "front" and the part near the grips the "rear" - that seems backwards to me but as long as you hit those two numbers you'll get what you need.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Old lungs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Just wondering how wide the arm pads go as I can't find it anywhere online.
sorry. slx/cfr

thx
Kar-Ming,
The widest the pads on the SLX/CFR go is 170mm measured center to center.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just came here to post "Humuhumunukunukuapua’a"

https://bikerumor.com/...tion-triathlon-bike/

I'm sorry

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

looking at a Speedmax CF, but want to be really sure about the sizing.

Height: 177
Inseam: 830

Current bike

Bike (Model): Specialized Allez (54) with clip-ons and ISM saddle
Crank Length: 172.5
Seat Height: 745n / 758c
Set-Back: -64
Saddle Angle: -6.6c / -4.0n
Reach (to bar): 505
Reach (to hood): 640
Drop (to hood): -70
Tri-Bar Measurements:
Reach to c.Pad = 500
Reach to Ext. Tip = 800
Drop to Pad = -40
Risers/Pedestals = 0
Bar to Pad (Height) = 50
Pad to Ext.Tip = 385
Pad Width (c 2 c) =
Ext Tip Angle = +13.0 (+14.2 Pads)

Thank you so much!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HI Ian,

I have just ordered the Speedmax CFR size M.

Post sale i've been asked to choose from a few options being;

Flat Bar or Riser Bar - in either stem 85mm or 65mm

and

Extension Bars of Short Medium Long

Any help would be greatly appreciated. My details are;

Height: 184cm
Inner leg length: 88mm
Forearm length: 36mm
Weight: 79kg (ie. not large)

First Tri Bike so not really sure what i'm doing. Plan is for middle to long distance.

I'm too close to age 50 for my liking but reasonably flexible (not sure if that is relevant). Don't really know/understand about the stack,reach, pad x/y. Let me know if you need me to do more measurements

Thinking of going with the Riser Bar to make it a bit more comfortable when cruising in traffic etc.

Very excited to get the bike as it's been a long wait. Once i get these details to them i should get the bike in 2-3weeks (by their estimate).

thanks again

Matthew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you know if the pro armrest upgrade allows it to go wider than the 170 mm for the cf slx?

thx again

Kar-Ming
Last edited by: Old lungs: Oct 14, 22 18:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I noticed many pros have a riser that angles forward to add reach. Is this angled unit available to public or pros-only?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian
I am also currenty looking at a Speedmax CFR and I am between sizes L and XL. I am 195.5cm (6.5) and 99cm (38.8 inches) inseam, arm length 64.4cm and sternum height of 160.3cm from last measurement. Current bike is Scott Plasma Premium in XL with Pad X 715 and Pad Y of 546 (measured correctly hopefully); would be prefer to have a bit less compact going forward however and bike is hardly comparable in terms of geometrics. Set up is with 15 degree angle extensions. Any view what’s best ? Much appreciated ! Christian
Last edited by: cstammschulte: Oct 15, 22 11:11
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [cstammschulte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian I’m looking to buy my first tri bike I was wondering about sizing going by Canyons website it says a medium? For the CF 7

My height is 177 and inseam is about 84

I have a giant contend in a medium at the moment not sure how to upload the photos from that.

Many thanks
Last edited by: MURRAY48: Oct 16, 22 8:47
Quote Reply

Prev Next