Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Rfitz24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look HERE and see if there's anything that strikes your fancy.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One last Question Ian, but I assume there will be no difficulty cutting the bottom of the seat post right? If I go Medium the Seat post I think would be too long by about 20mm. I assume that there is nothing structural at the base of the post that wouldn't allow me to cut?
Thanks again
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
ianpeace wrote:

Quote:
Happy New Year, Ian and all!
Thinking about ordering a Speedmax CFR but would like to understand maximum possible pad width first. Read somewhere it was very narrow.
Thanks

Dimm,
That number is 175mm center to center.

Ian
Thanks, Ian.

I am 193cm tall, 94cm inseam. Pad X 456mm to back of pad, pad Y 707mm, saddle height 830mm (with 172.5mm cranks). Would CFR size L work for me?

I am worried about 175mm max pad width as on my previous bike the width was 215mm (I am tall with relatively broad shoulders). I am not sure I will be comfortable at 175mm, and I suspect this offers little aero advantage in my case.

Would appreciate your advice.

Dimm

Dimm,
For the CFR the size Large is the right choice... along with the short stem, mid spacer with a tilt wedge (mostly likely), and probably the long aero extension. The fit of the bike is very good for you. The pad width is a problem for some and that can be resolved a few ways: one would be a arm cup from TriRig or Profile Design that's a bit wider so that your forearms can roll out and gain a few mm on both sides. The other would be - and I haven't done this yet, but expect to soon - roll the bike into a machine shop and have a plate made to sit between bottom of the arm cup and the top of the mount. Another option is to get the Speedmax CF - size large as well. The front end on that bike has a great deal of adjustability and could more easily accommodate your broad shoulders.

Ian

Ian, really appreciate your help.

I went to the tririg site to see what wider arm pads they have available and found these "wingspan extenders". Do you think they would work on the CFR to extend the width? This would be a neat solution.

https://tririg.com/collections/scoops/products/wingspan-extenders

Much thanks,
Dimm

Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Dimm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:

I went to the tririg site to see what wider arm pads they have available and found these "wingspan extenders". Do you think they would work on the CFR to extend the width? This would be a neat solution.

Dimm,
I don't know the answer to this but would demand a response from Tri Rig before I purchase. (and then jump back in here to let me know please).

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello! I would like some help. I used to have a 2021 CF8 size M that I had to get rid off, with the current measures

Height: 182, Inseam 88
Saddle height 780
Handlebar reach 516
Armpad reach 476
Armpad stack from BB 683
Armpad reach from BB 455

The bike was super comfy to me, I was able to do long rides after the fit without any pain or anything and I had the impression it fit like a glove. Im aiming to get a CF SLX, and the website recommends a size M too, and checking to the geometry it looks fine for me but I want another opinion, because I see the cockpit is lower in general and the bike longer. The horns seem to be quite configurable but what about the stem and aerobars size? Also what about the normal handlebars? Im not supposed to be riding there but its almost 6cm lower than the CF8 and I cant find how much higher is the rise bar and I was thinking on that for when I have to do technical descents or whatever. Ive tried other TT bikes that have too low handlebars and I end up getting pain on my hands/wrists

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by: Rheed: Jan 6, 23 12:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:

Quote:

Dimm,
I don't know the answer to this but would demand a response from Tri Rig before I purchase. (and then jump back in here to let me know please).

Ian

Ian, I wrote to tririg and they said that they need the CFR's bolt pattern dimensions of the mounting plates to confirm that their extenders will fit. Asked Canyon and they refused to provide any data saying this may invalidate the warranty and they strongly advise against it. So unfortunately have nothing definitive to report back. Just wonder how Canyon were thinking about 195cm+ tall guys riding their XL bikes with 175mm max pad width...

Dimm
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Dimm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Quote:

Dimm,

Ian
Ian, I wrote to tririg and they said that they need the CFR's bolt pattern dimensions of the mounting plates to confirm that their extenders will fit. Asked Canyon and they refused to provide any data saying this may invalidate the warranty and they strongly advise against it. So unfortunately have nothing definitive to report back. Just wonder how Canyon were thinking about 195cm+ tall guys riding their XL bikes with 175mm max pad width...

Dimm

Dimm,
Thanks for keeping me in the loop. It helps me be better with what I do here. I'm so sorry this isn't happening as smoothly as you like. Ironically Jan Frodeno is your height and how he rides, what he needed has a lot to do with how this bike was designed. His pad width is super narrow - so it's not so much about height as it is about shoulder mobility. And yes, invalidating warranty is a legit thing and it has to be especially in the litigious society we've created here in the US . Bike makers have to draw a line to protect themselves from everything and everybody who might want to... say..3D print something at home, attach it to a bike, have that dissolve under them while riding and want recompense from an entity who really isn't responsible. I gave that a lot of thought when I drilled holes in the frame of my old Cervelo S2 so I could take it from mechanical to electronic shifting.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I need some help determining the PAD Y and PAD X calculations and am hoping you can help me figure out some measurements. I don't have a triathlon bike but am looking to purchase one. I have been interested in the Canyon Speedmax CF (assuming they become available again). I know it is important to know the measurements before buying a bike. Canyon's website says I should buy a small. I am 67.75 inches tall and my inseam is 30.75 inches. Any info you can provide is appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [senorfastypants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
I need some help determining the PAD Y and PAD X calculations and am hoping you can help me figure out some measurements. I don't have a triathlon bike but am looking to purchase one. I have been interested in the Canyon Speedmax CF (assuming they become available again). I know it is important to know the measurements before buying a bike. Canyon's website says I should buy a small. I am 67.75 inches tall and my inseam is 30.75 inches. Any info you can provide is appreciated.

senorfastypants,
Based on your morphology... I'd say your Pad Y is in the neighborhood of 615mm and Pad X is roughly 450mm. You should get a Canyon Speedmax CF in size small. It'll come with a 70mm stem that should be perfect. You'll probably use very little (5-10mm) of arm pad pedestal to get the pad drop perfect. It's a good fit for you.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Rheed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rheed wrote:
Hello! I would like some help. I used to have a 2021 CF8 size M that I had to get rid off, with the current measures

Saddle height 780
Handlebar reach 516
Armpad reach 476
Armpad stack from BB 683
Armpad reach from BB 455

The bike was super comfy to me, I was able to do long rides after the fit without any pain or anything and I had the impression it fit like a glove. Im aiming to get a CF SLX, and the website recommends a size M too, and checking to the geometry it looks fine for me but I want another opinion, because I see the cockpit is lower in general and the bike longer. The horns seem to be quite configurable but what about the stem and aerobars size? Also what about the normal handlebars? Im not supposed to be riding there but its almost 6cm lower than the CF8 and I cant find how much higher is the rise bar and I was thinking on that for when I have to do technical descents or whatever. Ive tried other TT bikes that have too low handlebars and I end up getting pain on my hands/wrists

Thanks in advance!

Ey Ian, any chance you could help? :) Thanks! I also wanted to know how much higher is the risen bar of the CF SLX Models and if Id need longer or normal stem, as im seeing the reach and stack seem to be on the top level :/
Last edited by: Rheed: Jan 14, 23 13:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello
I just received my Speedmax disc and I am trying to adjust the length of the extensions.
They are adjustable by 40mm with 2 screws.
When we remove the screws, it moves no problem, but how to put these screws back to fix this bar, because the 2 holes of the bar are not adjusted?!?
Thanks in advance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian! Thanks so much for doing this. I am looking at ordering the Speedmax CF 7 Disc eTap. I do not currently have a tri bike and nearest tri bike fitter is a 3 hour drive. Going to try and make that happen before the bike becomes available to order so I can be positive on size, but was hoping you might be of help.

I currently own a Canyon Ultimate Cf Sl - size medium and have the saddle height at exactly 30 inches.
My height: 5'11
My inseam: 33 inches

Please advise, Canyon site is telling me medium.

Thank you so much, bike should be available here in the USA in a few weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [donryan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, no problem cutting the post.

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Rheed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Saddle height 780
Handlebar reach 516
Armpad reach 476
Armpad stack from BB 683
Armpad reach from BB 455

Thanks in advance!

Rheed,
I love how you're describing your position in the past: "super comfy...without any pain...fit like a glove". I'd like you to get into that same spot for the same feeling on the SLX and to do it with a Pad Y of 683, and a Pad X 476....
A medium can work but... it would require the long stem (which does not come stock in the USA) and high spacer + - you're too close to the extreme of that bike.
A large would be better and you'd set that up with....short stem, mid spacer, medium extension - right in the sweet spot of this bike and, if you're in the USA, it'll come out of the box almost exactly as you'll want it.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Eltito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Hello
I just received my Speedmax disc and I am trying to adjust the length of the extensions.
They are adjustable by 40mm with 2 screws.
When we remove the screws, it moves no problem, but how to put these screws back to fix this bar, because the 2 holes of the bar are not adjusted?!?
Thanks in advance

Eltito,
Let me start by saying I'm sorry this isn't happening quickly and smoothly. I understand your frustration and hope that you've resolved it already and if not here some help...

By everything you are saying I'm assuming that you are talking about a Speedmax CFR or SLX and NOT the CF. There are two screws (3mm hex) on top of that extension. You have removed the all the way but you needn't do that - you can simply loosen them in the future, slide the extension fore or aft and tighten. To solve the removed screws... you can slide the internal extension (the bit with the hand grips attached) all the way out - do it slowly so that if you're running Di2 the wires stay connected. You'll see that there is a shiny, silver colored bit of metal in a channel and inside that silver bit you'll see the female threaded inserts that receive the two, small screws. slide that silver bit to one extreme end and then re-insert the extension so you can line up the two screws. Please know that the torque limit on those two screws is 4nm - that's very light.

Hope that helps, Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Merci Ian
Ta réponse est parfaitement claire. J'avais trouvé la solution, mais mentalement je ne voyais pas comment le système était fait.....
Cela m'a bien aidé.
Je vais devoir changer l'Aerobar pour mettre une longue (CP0226). Cela n'est pas compliqué?
Merci
THierry
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Eltito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Merci Ian
Ta réponse est parfaitement claire. J'avais trouvé la solution, mais mentalement je ne voyais pas comment le système était fait.....
Cela m'a bien aidé.
Je vais devoir changer l'Aerobar pour mettre une longue (CP0226). Cela n'est pas compliqué?

Thierry,
Non, ce n'est pas complique. C'est tres facile. Au fur et a mesure que vous retirez le support, vous verrez exatement comment mettre le long et vous pouvez utiliser le meme poignees.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:

Rheed,
I love how you're describing your position in the past: "super comfy...without any pain...fit like a glove". I'd like you to get into that same spot for the same feeling on the SLX and to do it with a Pad Y of 683, and a Pad X 476....
A medium can work but... it would require the long stem (which does not come stock in the USA) and high spacer + - you're too close to the extreme of that bike.
A large would be better and you'd set that up with....short stem, mid spacer, medium extension - right in the sweet spot of this bike and, if you're in the USA, it'll come out of the box almost exactly as you'll want it.

Ian

Wow, thanks for the input, now Im actually confused because I was almost sure the size was correct. Im starting to think my fit measurements werent right on the CF fit, because the measured stack and reach of the frame are 5-10mm more than the official ones, and I remember pads were in the middle reach on the CF.

I have used another TT bike for the past year ( A ceepo katana in size L, which felt quite good as well, I just didnt like the bike itself for other reasons ) and checking the same data I had for that bike fitting because is more recent

Also I measured incorrectly the inseam, its 85 sorry
Saddle height 770
Handlebar reach 505
Armpad reach 433
Armpad stack from BB 680
Armpad reach from BB 440

Frame stack was 540, on the CF SLX is 489, but on the other bike it counted until the handlebars, and I would need to add extra 4cm of the rise bar, which would be 530 on the canyon. Frame reach was 420 and the canyon 438, which makes it longer.
In terms of armpad stack I actually removed 2cm weeks after the fitting because I felt better, so it would be 660. Counting this, both stack/reach for armpads fall more or less in the middle of the range of what the geometry says ( I dont know if the geometry counts as default short stem, I guess so? ). Also with size L the saddle height is not even in the range.

Should I be comparing two different bikes? I know that im much more flexible now as the Canyon was my first TT bike but does it make a difference? Im on EU and there was stock this week, I ordered one and while going through the config process they told me M should be my size given the measures I gave to them, that I fell almost in the middle of everything :'(

Again, thanks a lot for the help!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:

Rheed,

Ian

Wow, thanks for the input, now Im actually confused because I was almost sure the size was correct. Im starting to think my fit measurements werent right on the CF fit, because the measured stack and reach of the frame are 5-10mm more than the official ones, and I remember pads were in the middle reach on the CF.

I have used another TT bike for the past year ( A ceepo katana in size L, which felt quite good as well, I just didnt like the bike itself for other reasons ) and checking the same data I had for that bike fitting because is more recent

Also I measured incorrectly the inseam, its 85 sorry
Saddle height 770
Handlebar reach 505
Armpad reach 433
Armpad stack from BB 680
Armpad reach from BB 440

Frame stack was 540, on the CF SLX is 489, but on the other bike it counted until the handlebars, and I would need to add extra 4cm of the rise bar, which would be 530 on the canyon. Frame reach was 420 and the canyon 438, which makes it longer.
In terms of armpad stack I actually removed 2cm weeks after the fitting because I felt better, so it would be 660. Counting this, both stack/reach for armpads fall more or less in the middle of the range of what the geometry says ( I dont know if the geometry counts as default short stem, I guess so? ). Also with size L the saddle height is not even in the range.

Should I be comparing two different bikes? I know that im much more flexible now as the Canyon was my first TT bike but does it make a difference? Im on EU and there was stock this week, I ordered one and while going through the config process they told me M should be my size given the measures I gave to them, that I fell almost in the middle of everything :'(

Again, thanks a lot for the help!

Rheed,
I'm happy to work through this with you and I'll ask for one favor to avoid confusion: let's refer to the pads in terms of Pad Y and Pad X and the top of the head tube on the frame as Stack and Reach. It's safer, clearer that way.

Just to touch on a few things:
  • Saddle height of 780 will be achievable on the SLX size Large but you won't be able to utilize the Canyon seat post mounted water bottle cage (one of the mounting screws will hidden in the frame). Even the new seat height you've offered from the other bike (770) will work.
  • The Pad Y of your 2021 CF s 680 and the Pad Y of the Ceepo is 683 - so that's so close we can call them the same
  • The Pad X of your 2021 CF is 476 and the Pad X of the Ceepo is 433 - 43mm in reach is big and makes me think that something has gone awry in the measuring somewhere or perhaps changes took place that caused what's written down to be different from where you actually rode/ride those bikes - or, at least, one of those bikes.

Let's say you came to this thread and said "I've never owned a tri bike. Want to buy an SLX. I'm 182cm tall and have an 88cm inseam". I would think your Pad Y would be ~660 and your Pad X near to 475. And those are numbers that are right in your range, numbers you've used. You could still fit on the Large SLX (short stem, low spacer) and you could fit on a Medium (long stem, mid spacer).

You can do a size Medium SLX at 680 or 683 (and the Pad Y of 476) but you have to have the long stem and you'll need the high spacer.

You're in the EU and that makes a lot difference in my advice. I think you're able to specify what front end you want on the bike when you order it (that's not currently something that those in the USA can do). Because of that I'd get the Medium SLX with the long stem. And then I'd make sure that you use two things that will make or break your position: 1) a short crank, probably a 160mm would be best but if 165mm is the shortest you can go okay. and 2) a saddle that allows you to ride on the front half of it comfortably. Those two things will likely allow you to go lower and the bike will come with all the parts necessary to lower the Pad Y incrementally as you discover a new position that is faster while still being... "super comfy...without any pain...fit like a glove".

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Sorry about the naming, I used what was written in my RetĂĽl fitting, we never call it X/Y but yeah it makes things clearer!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Thanks! Sorry about the naming, I used what was written in my RetĂĽl fitting, we never call it X/Y but yeah it makes things clearer!

Yeah, Retul would do well to tighten up their terminology around the pad location. Too much confusion out of their current naming.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Jdunnigan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Ian, just wanted to circle back on this and see if you could be of help? Thanks again. Trying to get into a fitter but with it being a 3 hour drive and only available on weekdays its been tricky.

Hi Ian! Thanks so much for doing this. I am looking at ordering the Speedmax CF 7 Disc eTap. I do not currently have a tri bike and nearest tri bike fitter is a 3 hour drive. Going to try and make that happen before the bike becomes available to order so I can be positive on size, but was hoping you might be of help.

I currently own a Canyon Ultimate Cf Sl - size medium and have the saddle height at exactly 30 inches.

Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Canyon Speedmax CFR, CF SLX, and CF (disc & rim brake) [Jdunnigan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hey Ian, just wanted to circle back on this and see if you could be of help? Thanks again. Trying to get into a fitter but with it being a 3 hour drive and only available on weekdays its been tricky.

Jdunnigan,

You've got pretty long legs for your height. I'm guessing your Pad Y is roughly 650 and your Pad X is near to 475. If you go to a professional fitter who is experience in tri fitting, educated in tri fitting, and owns a dynamic fit bike (gotta be all three of those) please get back to me here after your fit with pics and numbers and let me know how close I am to your Pad Y/X. If you're not going to a fitter who is exp/edu/and has a dynamic fit bike.... well, don't go. Let's find someone who can really prove this out.

But.... I suspect your Pad Y/X of 650/475 is pretty close so...the size Speedmax CF for you is a Medium, the 80mm stem that comes standard will work perfectly and you'll have lots of room to move pad fore/aft, up/down. If my numbers are off by a bit you'll still be able to find an excellent (perfect?) position.

I'm very serious about the bike fitter if they don't have a dynamic fit bike (and there are only.. Exit, Purely Custom, Muve, Guru DFU, and Shimano) then don't go. My numbers are better than any process I know of without a dynamic fit bike. If they don't have one (and really know how to use it) then you're better off buying from my recommendation and then taking the bike once it arrives to any 'ol fitter to have them detail your new ride on a trainer.

Get back to me with questions if you have 'em.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Ian,

I’m considering getting the new Speedmax CF SLX8 size M, based on the fit I’ve attached, what do you think? Or the size S, would be a better option?

Thank you in advance for your answer.

Last edited by: lcparlatto: Jan 23, 23 4:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ian,

I am looking at buying a Speedmax CF 7.0. It’s a first for me so unfortunately no Pad Y and Pad X.
I am 176 cm tall with an inseam of 81cm.

Since I’m able to get a solid deal on a size S I was wondering if there’s a good way to get a size S fit to my body.

Thanks for your help,
Matz
Quote Reply

Prev Next