Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:
That chart is almost 100% true for me. My fastest true 5k was 5:26 pace and at that point I was running in the 4:5X range.

Wow - impressive times. Nice job! :)

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [triczyk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in this camp of just trying to create a base. I have always struggled to run regularly and the first three weeks have been interesting. Big increase in mileage for me so I have been taking slowman’s advice and kept the runs close to 3 miles at an easy pace. The aches and pains seem to be diminishing after lots of massage and rolling. Had to run in a hard rain this morning but didn’t melt. Been snowing last four hours. Hope to gradually increase the mileage and catch up to you later!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should have mentioned it was true up to about the 10k. I never came close to the half marathon and marathon times. After COVID I am nowhere close.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [JCM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JCM wrote:
I am in this camp of just trying to create a base. I have always struggled to run regularly and the first three weeks have been interesting. Big increase in mileage for me so I have been taking slowman’s advice and kept the runs close to 3 miles at an easy pace. The aches and pains seem to be diminishing after lots of massage and rolling. Had to run in a hard rain this morning but didn’t melt. Been snowing last four hours. Hope to gradually increase the mileage and catch up to you later!

JCM, Great work in these three weeks! I'm looking forward to my first run in the rain ..... not! I did start my run with outside temp at 39 degrees today, so was really suffering (hahahahaha!!!) I'm feeling the little aches and pains, and know they will subside, but still just trying to be very aware so that if I really need a day off, that I realize it before I am forced to take several days off.

Tom Hampton - You are in the fast camp, and amazing! Thank you for the encouragement. The base, the consistency and getting stronger through developing that is exactly why I am doing this, so thanks for your words!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [clydecat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are right that the people on this forum are encouraging and inspirational for us down in the pack. I have never run more than four days in a row so getting to 22 has been an interesting challenge. I am monitoring the pain points and after two weeks thought I would need a day off but then, it all started to feel better. Just taking it day by day and enjoying the streak right now. Oh, and going for a massage tomorrow. That always helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [JCM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
man the rain was horrible last night - I and I dont normally "mind" running in the rain - but this was gross
had planned on getting another run in this morning but I took one look outside and said screw that
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But you got it done. Now it's just cold where I am outside Boston with a bit of black ice on the road this morning. Keeping the streak alive!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am exploring new territory like you, and monitoring my body to see how it responds. Typically a 25 mile/week runner spaced out over 3-4 runs, so this has been a big departure. Interested to see where it goes. Good luck on your journey!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [kstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have never run more than 4 times in a week and have only gotten up to 20+ miles a few times. Same as you, I am monitoring things every day as it is a bit of a mystery. Have been doing more maintenance and had a massage yesterday but still some sore spots tonight. Now at ab out 24 miles a week which is not much but a lot for me. Let's see how it goes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With the elder care issues my brothers & I have had with my mom & step-dad over the past week, I haven't had the time nor the energy to get out & run

I know I should be, for my mental wellness, but when the time comes to get up & out on the Dawn Patrol, I just want to stay in bed & rest up for the next daily onslaught

There's still long way to go in this challenge, so maybe I can catch back one & may grab the Lanterne Rouge of Medal Eligible participants

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm holding strong at Day 25, sticking with the 2-to-1 treadmill-to-outdoors strategy seems to paying dividends. I haven't missed a day and don't have any more aches and pains than I started the challenge with.

This morning's run at 5:30 AM was tough though, it would seem my eyesight in the dark isn't what it used to be. Felt like I expended a lot of energy just trying to watch the ground.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
With the elder care issues my brothers & I have had with my mom & step-dad over the past week, I haven't had the time nor the energy to get out & run

I know I should be, for my mental wellness, but when the time comes to get up & out on the Dawn Patrol, I just want to stay in bed & rest up for the next daily onslaught

There's still long way to go in this challenge, so maybe I can catch back one & may grab the Lanterne Rouge of Medal Eligible participants

Sorry to hear that Randy. Sometimes all you can do is, all you can do. Hang in there...we'll still be here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JCM wrote:
But you got it done. Now it's just cold where I am outside Boston with a bit of black ice on the road this morning. Keeping the streak alive!

Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Tom & Co!

Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know the story of Qsk8 Keshti? #2 on the board...his log entries all say "Cancer Challenged Athlete".
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Does anyone know the story of Qsk8 Keshti? #2 on the board...his log entries all say "Cancer Challenged Athlete".

as it happens, i just got off the phone with him. pretty big story to that fellow. among other things, 6x winner of the lake tahoe marathon, and pretty much unbeatable at any run race if the race took place at or above lake tahoe. came down to the carlsbad 5000 once, in his 40s, and won the masters race in 14-something. in teva sandals. a regional legend as a nordic racer in the tahoe scene. he was an all-season skyrunner/freeheel savant a generation before it was a *thing* with killian jornet and his ilk. got cancer in his spine. was in hospice twice waiting to die. legs shriveled below the waist, like a wheelchair racer. then, well, he didn't die. obviously. started to get feeling back in his legs, little by little and the rest is history, including the history he's yet to make. his cancer is incurable, as of now. perpetual chemotherapy. he's still very much hobbled by his prior full paralysis below the waist, and still only partial recovery from that. i can't swear that all his runs are rules-conforming. but in his particular case, for those workouts that aren't, i'm bestowing a pardon, trumplike.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:

as it happens, i just got off the phone with him. pretty big story to that fellow. among other things, 6x winner of the lake tahoe marathon, and pretty much unbeatable at any run race if the race took place at or above lake tahoe. came down to the carlsbad 5000 once, in his 40s, and won the masters race in 14-something. in teva sandals. a regional legend as a nordic racer in the tahoe scene. he was an all-season skyrunner/freeheel savant a generation before it was a *thing* with killian jornet and his ilk. got cancer in his spine. was in hospice twice waiting to die. legs shriveled below the waist, like a wheelchair racer. then, well, he didn't die. obviously. started to get feeling back in his legs, little by little and the rest is history, including the history he's yet to make. his cancer is incurable, as of now. perpetual chemotherapy. he's still very much hobbled by his prior full paralysis below the waist, and still only partial recovery from that. i can't swear that all his runs are rules-conforming. but in his particular case, for those workouts that aren't, i'm bestowing a pardon, trumplike.

I dispute the "trumplike"---but, lets not go down that rabbit hole, here. However, I don't dispute the justifiableness of the "pardon" if one is even required.

That's exactly why I phrased the question the way that I did. I checked his posting history here, and looked at his strava a bit. What little I could find led me to deduce that it might be something along the lines of what you have laid out.

I saw on his strava that his "equipment used" was listed as teva sandles, which I found odd. Now I know why.

That's an astonishing and inspirational story. Thanks for sharing. It would be great if he could / would tell the rest of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speaking of stories....Where is the esteemed Mr. Bluestacks? He's stuck at 6 (rather speedy) runs...we were promised a front page story, but I see nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Speaking of stories....Where is the esteemed Mr. Bluestacks? He's stuck at 6 (rather speedy) runs...we were promised a front page story, but I see nothing.

i think last year he was a prisoner to the challenge, and this year he chose to let himself out on his own recognizance. not to say he won't be a recidivist. i'm going to interview him about last year's challenge, but i just haven't gotten to it yet. he's running, just, he's one among many bandits. he didn't pay the entry fee you all did ;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:

i think last year he was a prisoner to the challenge, and this year he chose to let himself out on his own recognizance. not to say he won't be a recidivist. i'm going to interview him about last year's challenge, but i just haven't gotten to it yet. he's running, just, he's one among many bandits. he didn't pay the entry fee you all did ;-)

So far, its been worth every cent. Well...except that MistressK has been rather delinquent recently. I'd post more pix, but I don't have snow, or trails, or rivers, or mountains, or wildlife (except dead skunks, possums, and armadillos...and the occasional dead wild hog). Just the same ugly mug with too much grey facial hair...on the same 40 miles of pavement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wow I really gotta start bringing some TP with me on my run when its away from places with a bathroom
I always do on my bike - but never on a run

I spent the last 2 Km this morning doing the panic shuffle home - scared I was going to have to use some leaves or something :o
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Been there....but, luckily I'm way out in the sticks (plenty of leaves, cover, and no people). Hooo boy....that's a long way to panic shuffle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
y_nigel wrote:
wow I really gotta start bringing some TP with me on my run when its away from places with a bathroom

I spent the last 2 Km this morning doing the panic shuffle home - scared I was going to have to use some leaves or something :o

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
y_nigel wrote:

There's a special thread for that

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ts_mid_run_P5580857/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 years ago I had quit running and rolled with your suggestion to use 100/100 as a 100 day try to rehab and get back to running once for 30 minutes by the end of it without having to stop, stretch and stop my leg and lumbar area from going into spasms.....so here we are 2 years later.

Well, guess what, on my run to the pool on Tuesday I surpassed 3000km running for the year, my most running in 15 years. As I am primarily a swimmer now, several times per week I am running to the pool and running back and extending each run to 30 min or longer.....what ends up happening is that I end up doing more minutes running than my Covid19 capped 60 min swim.

So the swimmer who is using running as a means of commuting to the pool is doing more running than swimming. I see by freqency I am in the top 25 and by distance in 31st and on the 10km per day pace that I had when I first did this in 2006.
Quote Reply

Prev Next