Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t have a problem if you wish to inquire about whether there are people out there that ran each and every single day—it is a legitimate question. But calling it “purist” suggests an elevated status, and further it implies that the other achievements are somehow less worthy, that is, impure. Though also somewhat inaccurate, perhaps something “literal” is better.

But let’s be honest, is a more or less healthy person running every single day for 100 days more impressive than someone coming off, for example, an injury getting in, say, 50 runs?...or someone knocking out 150?...or someone running 1000 miles?

My aim is not to criticize your accomplishment — for I am in awe of your mileage — but rather to draw attention to the sheer breadth of what the term connotes for different people.
I’m not asking you to agree with me, but I also don’t want to be placed on one side of an imaginary dividing line.
Good luck to everyone & let’s all finish the challenge stronger and healthy!
Ciao
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Flemish Arrow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flemish Arrow wrote:
I don’t have a problem if you wish to inquire about whether there are people out there that ran each and every single day—it is a legitimate question. But calling it “purist” suggests an elevated status, and further it implies that the other achievements are somehow less worthy, that is, impure. Though also somewhat inaccurate, perhaps something “literal” is better.

But let’s be honest, is a more or less healthy person running every single day for 100 days more impressive than someone coming off, for example, an injury getting in, say, 50 runs?...or someone knocking out 150?...or someone running 1000 miles?

My aim is not to criticize your accomplishment — for I am in awe of your mileage — but rather to draw attention to the sheer breadth of what the term connotes for different people.
I’m not asking you to agree with me, but I also don’t want to be placed on one side of an imaginary dividing line.
Good luck to everyone & let’s all finish the challenge stronger and healthy!
Ciao

That word not created by me, used back many years ago so I stuck with it. It always good to approach a main challenge with sub challenges, to guarantee your main goal.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the approach I took - multiple goals within the larger goal. Some of the smaller goals have fallen by the wayside, but I am gaining traction toward 100. Last week I looked at the calendar and the number of runs I had remaining, and knew I had a tough time ahead.

Today I’m grabbing numbers 96 & 97, and looking to get to 100 tomorrow. This is my first year doing the challenge, so I’m really pleased with my results. Starting out on day 1, I was struggling to average in the 9s, and now I’m able to comfortably average low 8s, even 7s. I’ve come off two years of limited training and racing due to shoulder surgeries, and now expecting twins in May, so training time will continue to be at a premium.

My goal coming out of the challenge is to maintain a decent weekly mileage. Over the last few weeks I’ve averaged 40-50 mpw, and although I don’t necessarily need to continue that mileage, I’d like to stay close to 40 mpw while adding in swimming and riding. Feels much more doable now than it did before the challenge!

Brenden Macy
Sports & Entertainment Attorney
I am Drive. I am Grit. I am Determination.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First time caller, long time listener for the 100/100 Challenge. Without planning it, I’m on the cusp of finishing the “pure” / “original” challenge. I am super happy with how this turned out and am definitely ready to do something, anything, other than going for a run.

1. synthetic
2. coachjustin
3. JCM
4. healthy
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Flemish Arrow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
993km down, 7km to go to get to 1000. That was my personal goal. In the last 50 days I also crammed in 950km of nordic skiing (with today's 52km outing), so I should be 1000+1000 this week. The last week was tough to get enough running in (I fell behind) because I was doing the Virtual Gatineau Loppet 50km skate ski race now that my body is moving well to do that sport.

Thanks for dinner and directions to the pool in Frankfurt in 2016 when I could barely walk! I literally was not sure if I would be able to walk the short distance from hotel to pool (once in the pool I was fine)!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flemish Arrow wrote:

I've run a minimum of 30 minutes every single day of this challenge (and then some). I don't like the term "purist". I'll go with "fortunate". Fortunate that I've been given the time and means to participate in this challenge and that through 99 days I've been fortunate to be able to run at least once every one of those days. It doesn't always workout that way but this year it did and I feel fortunate :)
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TJ56 wrote:
[

I've run a minimum of 30 minutes every single day of this challenge (and then some). I don't like the term "purist". I'll go with "fortunate". Fortunate that I've been given the time and means to participate in this challenge and that through 99 days I've been fortunate to be able to run at least once every one of those days. It doesn't always workout that way but this year it did and I feel fortunate :)

1. synthetic
2. coachjustin
3. JCM
4. healthy
5. TJ56

side note. i wasnt planning to do this challenge this year, cause i go for the pure streak. Oddly, the ST member who motivated me got injured himself that he can just walk now. So yes, fortunate is a good word.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My final run for the challenge was my favorite - a fresh 2.5 inches of snow. I had planned on two 3 mile treadmill runs but the the snow drew me outdoors for a longer and much slower run over and through what feels like clouds. A few photos of a beauty that I'm not sure our warmer climate peers appreciate, its a rails to trails path with minimal foot traffic in the winter:

Thanks to the crew for putting on the 100/100 this year again.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay, 1000+1000 is pretty impressive! I will fall short of hitting 1000 km on the run. My emphasis has been on the bike since December. I’m trying to get ready for the Eschborn-Frankfurt cycling event on May 1st (100km and ca. 1800 vertical meters with a minimum average speed of 25kph).
I remember you were still very much on the road to recovery back in 2016. When we first meet in Leipzig, however, you killed me on the track :-)
Let me know if you find your way back to FFM.
Ciao
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think “fortunate” is a good characterization, and a group I have no problem associating myself with. Just one more day and one more run!!!

Good luck to everyone tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [wjoiner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What a fantastic way to wrap it up! Congratulations!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [coyote pelon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
99 days ago, this year's first 100/100 run pic was in Imperial Beach, CA. Today's pic, Imperial Beach, CA, the Coronado Islands of B.C., Mexico in the background distance.
Last edited by: coyote pelon: Feb 21, 21 15:57
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My personal goal was to do zero treadmill runs... which was easy when I was in Hawaii but pretty tough getting back to Colorado in late December! Luckily I banked 3-4 runs per day in the beginning while the going was good! Just sneaked in at #100 yesterday... by the skin of my teeth!

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Happy 100th Day to everyone.

I finished with my 100th run this morning - a 5km time trial. Pretty pleased with the time (20:50) given the complete lack of speed training I have done over the last year. Very pleased to have made it to the 100 in my second attempt despite the additional challenge of my wife and I welcoming twins in April. Due to the challenges of fitting this is around being a new parent I spent a lot of time on the treadmill (a new covid addition to the house). The challenege itself has been great at motivation me to start regular exercise again and has very much halted my weight gain post wife's birth!

Challenge Breakdown:

Treadmill Runs: 64
Outdoor: 36 (of which 12 were with the double buggy)

Practise doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect!
Last edited by: PrimalSteve: Feb 22, 21 0:30
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Right now, I am the Lanterne Rouge of Medal Eligible participants

Currently sitting on 75 runs - I may or may not get one last one in, we'll see how the day goes

I got a little too far ahead of the Bronze Medal Cutoff Line [70/100] so I can safely say that my Lanterne Rouge Dreams for this round are done

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Done! 101 runs in 100 days. 1.068 km ø 5:29 min/km.
Every single run with Strava, all 100% outdoor in German winter!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Adj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Done! As I ponder tomorrow morning, I can only think, now what?

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was able to do all my runs outdoors as well, though I had to catch up instead of banking. I'm in Lakewood, CO, we had good weather until this month. Nonetheless, all runs complete, all outside. Some even in Estes Park in November!

Brenden Macy
Sports & Entertainment Attorney
I am Drive. I am Grit. I am Determination.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will run one more run tonight to make it to 222 runs and I already crested 1200 miles earlier today. But I am glad this is over, and tonight I will leave the Kahuna Challenge and that makes you the new leader. Maybe in the late fall I will rejoin it to see where I am, but I now need to focus on various races I have coming up and just do what I need to get ready for them.

Bravo to all 100x100 participants and onwards to all Big Kahuna ones
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
100/100, 2020-2012, running remotely, last day - yesterday, first time participate, suburb, south Brisbane, Australia, Torgan, niece of Coyote Pelon. Day 100 - today, Steele Canyon bridge, Sweetwater River, Coyote Pelon and daughter, Tami21, first time participate also. Great accomplishment to everyone who participated around the world, way to go !
Last edited by: coyote pelon: Feb 22, 21 14:36
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3km before swimming at lunch but ran out of time. Evening probably run 5km to get me to 1001km
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Dia 100, no mas.
Last edited by: coyote pelon: Feb 22, 21 14:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been participating in the ST100/100 challenges every year since 2015/16. I think my best result was 80 runs two years ago 2017/18. And I did 70 the year before that. I also had some really bad years where work travel and/or sickness kept me around 40 to 50 runs. Last year was 62 year. But THIS YEAR I finally hit 100 Runs in 100 Days!! It took a Pandemic :) Thanks again to Dev and the ST Team for putting this together. In total I clocked over 1,000 km and I lost 12 pounds!

I also put a personal tweak on my ST100/100 and chose to run a 10k loop every day around my local lake, Lake Ronkonkoma. It's the largest body of water on Long Island and it's steeped in past and current history. Before the Hamptons, the rich would drive from Manhattan to this lake. The terrain is also varying and there are lots of flat sidewalks, so from a technical standpoint the lack of cambered running really works for me.

Some current history includes local resident and Medal of Honor recipient, US Navy Seal Lt. Michael P. Murphy who died in Afghanistan. His story is featured in the 2013 movie, Lone Survivor. The park on the southwest side of the lake is named after him.

I took lots of cool Sunset photos. The amazing thing about running around the lake is it looked different every single day. The color of the sky, the lake itself, the foliage; it never got boring.

Some of the oldest history of Lake Ronkonkoma dates back to the 1600's when an English settler Hugh Birdsall fell in love with Indian Princess Ronkonkoma, but the two were forbidden to see each other by the girl's father. As a result the girl drowns herself in the middle of the lake, and from that day forth a male has drowned in the lake every year since. Many even claim the lake is bottomless.

The book, Bid Time Return by Richard Matheson and later-turned movie Somehere in Time, starring Christopher Reeve, was also set on the shores of Lake Ronkonkoma.

All in all it's a magical lake and it's the reason I feel I was able to run 100 days injury free. Thanks Indian Princess :-)
Last edited by: BT_DreamChaser: Feb 22, 21 14:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
coachjustin wrote:
Done! Finished the 100/100 (started a week-ish early). But I'll probably keep it going just so I can see the official Slowtwitch Training log say 100 runs...that should be Saturday.

Being of the non-runner persuasion (the only reason to run is because it's the last leg of my chosen sport), it was hard to mentally get my head around getting started, but once I did, it was just one foot in front of another, day after day.

not done till monday for the purists....

that being said, who else is on the purist list, 1 "minimum standards" run every day for the 100? not bragging, but dont want to feel like I am doing this alone :)

1. synthetic

Gosh I hate agreeing with you. I did the purist one run a day for 100 days. But I did a lot of runs in my Nike Next%'s and Endorphin Speeds so I'm a techno-doping cheater purist according to you :p

I honestly find it absolutely pointless to do multiple runs in a day just for the contest. Waste of time with showering and laundry. It's downright silly. If you're breaking up a scheduled 16-mile long run with an 8 miler in the morning and an 8 miler in the evening same day -- okay.

As of right now I'm 31st for distance, but somewhere in the 80's for run count. I'll take distance over count any day (as long as distance is from consistency).
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did run 120 this afternoon to hit 1400km. Every run outside in the Canadian winter. No days off which was tough since I went down hard on an ice patch 7 weeks ago....my ribs are still sore from that one!

Swimming pool opened up this morning after a 2 month lockdown so I will take a day or 2 with no runs to let this 54 year old body take a break from pounding the slippery roads.
Quote Reply

Prev Next