Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the reply with explaination! I might get unbusy/bored enough to check miles to minutes as suggested, or just accept the difference...probably the later. Most of all thanks for the reply ~ Happy 2021!
Andrea
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
What Counts?

1. ...
10. Runs must separated by at least 1 hour to count as multiple sessions.

Is this to say that in order to count, you must wait an hour: (a) from start to start (e.g., start run at 1:00 pm, next run may start at 2:00 pm), or (b) from end to start (e.g., run ends at 1:00 pm, next run may start at 2:00 pm)?

I've been using (b) as my rule, though I would be thrilled to learn that (a) is the way the rules are intended to function. I did 5 runs yesterday to attempt to catch up a bit, but my wife got tired of smelling me after 2 and sent me away while I finished my last 3.

My plans have been blown up, but I'm still working toward consistency. 5 runs in a day is not a sustainable pace for me, but I'm happy to have done it and feel relatively fresh today. I still fully intend to complete all 100 runs, and over the next month I should find myself back on a more reasonable pace to accomplish this.

Brenden Macy
Sports & Entertainment Attorney
I am Drive. I am Grit. I am Determination.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [brmacy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brmacy wrote:
Slowman wrote:

What Counts?

1. ...

Is this to say that in order to count, you must wait an hour: (a) from start to start (e.g., start run at 1:00 pm, next run may start at 2:00 pm), or (b) from end to start (e.g., run ends at 1:00 pm, next run may start at 2:00 pm)?

I've been using (b) as my rule, though I would be thrilled to learn that (a) is the way the rules are intended to function. I did 5 runs yesterday to attempt to catch up a bit, but my wife got tired of smelling me after 2 and sent me away while I finished my last 3.

My plans have been blown up, but I'm still working toward consistency. 5 runs in a day is not a sustainable pace for me, but I'm happy to have done it and feel relatively fresh today. I still fully intend to complete all 100 runs, and over the next month I should find myself back on a more reasonable pace to accomplish this.

the interval in between runs. the rest period. i can see why 5 runs in a day is not sustainable ;-/ but as for your wife, what's wrong with that manly smell?!

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
So yes I support 50/50.

I'll go make more bibs

Circling back - so the 50/50 [if it's actually on & going to be its own challenge?] starts January 4, 2021 in order to conclude on the same day as the 100/100?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [andreakayms] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andreakayms wrote:
Please explain what determines my (don't look its super slow, but moving nontheless) PACE? On the leaderboard, my pace is about a full minute slower than what I think it should be AND slower than all my STRAVA activity average pace (from whince the Challenge data derives) . Thanks for the explanation.

Hey Andrea,

It looks like the log is reporting exactly what Strava is sending over, that is, minutes divided by miles. The time, used by the log, is the Strava reported "moving time", and I know that in some cases Strava thinks you're stopped and reports a higher moving time average pace or speed. I don't have access to that level of data, and so, it's minutes per mile raw.

Thanks, and strong work in the challenge so far!

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
brmacy wrote:
Slowman wrote:

What Counts?

1. ...

the interval in between runs. the rest period. i can see why 5 runs in a day is not sustainable ;-/ but as for your wife, what's wrong with that manly smell?!

Option (b) it is, then. Glad I opted for the additional rest!

In her defense, she's pregnant with twins, so even the smell of my cologne can be enough to induce nausea, let alone my post-workout *ahem* musk.

Brenden Macy
Sports & Entertainment Attorney
I am Drive. I am Grit. I am Determination.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
RandMart wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
So yes I support 50/50.

I'll go make more bibs

Circling back - so the 50/50 [if it's actually on & going to be its own challenge?] starts January 4, 2021 in order to conclude on the same day as the 100/100?

Let me know, ladies and gentlemen, so I can work my fingers down to tiny nubs with all the work it will take to get this ready.

(Kidding, it will take like 3 minutes. If y'all are in, I'll do it, and of course you can do both challenges simultaneously and it will pick up everything in both as needed)

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
running in germany.....
Day 45 and run 46....310 miles so far.
I hate winter, so I hope that I can forget yesterday evening and this morning. 😂
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m currently doubling down with xc skiing for a week, so I’m keeping my runs short. I’m also glad that I got a pair of winter running shoes with spikes.

Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [StaffanS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I did this challenge 12 years ago I was regularly running 130+ km per week but I was only 42 then...at 54 my body would not like me to do that much running. I am curious what age group some of the folks with the big miles and frequencies race in.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Allan wrote:
When I did this challenge 12 years ago I was regularly running 130+ km per week but I was only 42 then...at 54 my body would not like me to do that much running. I am curious what age group some of the folks with the big miles and frequencies race in.

45-49 age group here. I find that frequency is the key to getting in the volume I desire. That, and keeping the pace comfortable.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please activate 50/50. Never too late for others to get on board!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Allan wrote:

Hokas and frequency allow me to continue to run at 64.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M50-54 Without meaningful races I have been able to finally knock this challenge off my to do list of painful ill advised things list I keep in my head (aka the Type 2 Fun Hall of Fame).
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Please activate 50/50. Never too late for others to get on board!

Done and done. Sign up and get a-goin', all y'all! It truly is never too late. Runs 1/4 -> 2/22, 50 days, in parallel with the 100/100.

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Been running fairly frequently and consistently since before Hotel California =)

But never have run as much as I have since this thing. I wanted to try something a bit crazy, so last week I did a marathon... albeit a slow one (4:20). Recovery was swift! The physical things that I do to prevent injury

• Stretching/strength training/core stuff about 2.5 times per week.
  • 80% of my Challenge running is done at a fairly slow pace.
  • Rarely track distance. Track time instead.
  • Barefoot running once a week (I break it up into 3-4 minute segments).
  • Lots of variety of incline on the treadmill.
  • Lots of different running shoes (Newtons/Hokas/Sketchers Resistance runners/Asics/Nikes/Brooks/ Altras).

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
50 yrs old, I’ve participated in this challenge many times over the last 10 years. The change of start dates the last two years threw me off a bit (I was ready to go on 12/1 this year not knowing we started 11/15). After last year’s challenge I was signed up for several races that were all cancelled. I ran a very slow half marathon through town here the weekend of my 50th birthday in March in place of the half I was signed up for and then slowly golfed my way out of shape the rest of the spring, summer and fall.

I’m using the challenge to get myself back in shape with lots of slow runs, second runs on some days with my dog (who wants to run even slower) and a mix of treadmill, road and trail runs. New road hokas to start the challenge and hoka trail runners for Xmas are hopefully helping with the pounding. I had started the road back in Oct and was running consistently in Nov for another challenge but it has been a slow comeback. I have always been one of the slower runners at the top of the leaderboard but my average pace was very slow the first three weeks.

I took a semi recovery week last week (did not increase my mileage into the 40s even though I really wanted to keep going up by 2-3 miles per week) and I’m starting to feel a little stronger this week with some faster treadmill runs mixed in. I’m still pretty slow outside and almost a min/mile slower with my dog.

I’m enjoying following along here and wish everyone luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do I have to sign up for this TOO? Oh good lord, have mercy.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Dec 31, 20 3:50
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3 days of uphill skiing killed my calves. Tried to recover with some biking .. while snowing here in Utah. My hands froze and had to bail. But the bike recovered me enough for the minimum 30 min run. One more day here then back to San Diego. You Utah triathletes still training are tough as nails! (The 1 hour late sunrise also killing my spirits)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is all fun and thank you for all you do.

I am currently at 88 runs with more runs planned for today. :-)

Plus Big Kahuna ends today. So yeah
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last workout of the year - Snow triathlon! And my month/year training report.
Today started biking in Salt Lake City while snowing cause my wife never got to do it. After 11 miles we caved in cause our hands were freezing. Got off the bike and did 4 mile run. After we went to Alta ski resort to do up hill XC skiing ~ 4 miles. When finished, I wanted to test my OC trail shoes in the snow... so I ran 2 miles up the ski slope then down, which was really fun cause no impact. Almost threw up the chilli I ate from climbing.
December Totals:
Swim: 3h 25m 42s - 11250 Yd
Bike: 54h 01m 28s - 768.75 Mi
Run: 45h 05m 10s - 325.07 Mi
Cross-Country Skiing : 8h 00m - 19.2 mi
Year End Totals:
Swim: 82h 52m 55s - 268050 Yd
Bike: 645h 54m 34s - 10072.88 Mi
Run: 476h 42m 03s - 3532.66 Mi
Cross-Country Skiing : 8h 00m - 19.2 mi

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

On day 43 day of the challenge, CeceWeber and I have moved from Boise to Kona!
The rest of the Challenge will be much warmer and sunnier. And while the runs and bikes are significantly better here, swimming in clear, 79-degree Kailua Bay is the real winner 😊.

Last edited by: starison: Jan 1, 21 11:23
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [starison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First day, first run and first snow of the New Year.

Last edited by: kstri: Jan 1, 21 11:29
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [starison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would trade Kona for where I am in Ottawa Canada. We are in lockdown so pools are closed...forget about Kailua Bay, we have NO swimming.

But started year with 16km run that put me over 500km for challenge, with my target to go to 1000km

Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome, Dev. Thanks for the photos, and congrats on finishing over half of the distance.

Today was run #83 for me. I did my annual birthday run, running my new age in minutes and seconds. This year was more of a challenge than usual, as I'm currently on Baffin Island in Iqaluit, Nunavut, 63 degrees north. Also, all of my previous 40 runs have been in the 30-minute range. But a new year should bring a new challenge, so here we go!

After running in Iqaluit every day for over a week, I'm sort of used to the temperature. -24 degrees, sun, minimal wind and "wind chill of -31" is about as good as it gets.

Outerwear to help stay warm: toque, headband, neck cowl, medium inner gloves, thick inner mitts, windproof over mitts and and an extra glove to stick down the front of my tights — I'm good to go!

A quick selfie with Zoe at the start of the run. There are a couple of snowmobiles behind us.

Zoe's apartment is on a plateau about 100 metres above Iqaluit. My plan was to run down one side of the plateau and through town, do a couple of out and backs, then run up the other side of the plateau back to Zoe's place.

The route into town goes around around a couple of hairpin turns before levelling out near the airport.

Quote Reply

Prev Next