Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair enough. My apologies.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Greatzaa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Accepted, and thanks for understanding

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Done! Finished the 100/100 (started a week-ish early). But I'll probably keep it going just so I can see the official Slowtwitch Training log say 100 runs...that should be Saturday.

Being of the non-runner persuasion (the only reason to run is because it's the last leg of my chosen sport), it was hard to mentally get my head around getting started, but once I did, it was just one foot in front of another, day after day.

USA Triathlon Level 2 Coach
Slowtwitch Master Coach
Head Coach, TriCoach Colorado, LLC
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [coachjustin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coachjustin wrote:
Done! Finished the 100/100 (started a week-ish early). But I'll probably keep it going just so I can see the official Slowtwitch Training log say 100 runs...that should be Saturday.

Being of the non-runner persuasion (the only reason to run is because it's the last leg of my chosen sport), it was hard to mentally get my head around getting started, but once I did, it was just one foot in front of another, day after day.

not done till monday for the purists....

that being said, who else is on the purist list, 1 "minimum standards" run every day for the 100? not bragging, but dont want to feel like I am doing this alone :)

1. synthetic
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
coachjustin wrote:

not done till Monday for the purists....

I'm at 72, so I could stop here and claim my Bronze Medal already

Last year I did 75/100, the year before that was 74, so I can clearly see where we're going [Endless Summer 100/100 in 2020 was 101/109, but THAT was a weird year all around]

Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I"m still on for 100/100. Not sure if I count as a purist as I had to take three days off last week when a neuroma flared up on me. I made the runs up over the last few days so I'm back on track as of yesterday.

This morning I did my first Zwift Duathlon Racing League event. Good to know I still cannot ride for shit but can run good.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe synthetic's definition of "purist" requires a running streak of 100 days of 3 miles/30-minutes per day incorporated into the 100/100

#nodaysoff

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
I believe synthetic's definition of "purist" requires a running streak of 100 days of 3 miles/30-minutes per day incorporated into the 100/100

#nodaysoff

Correct. I wasn't going to do it .. 5th year in row but a local ST folk convinced me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Peer pressure from imaginary people like us - just 1s & 0s - is bad enough, but IRL is worse

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, you aren’t alone, but I’m not sure that the real achievement is running every single day. This is my third 100/100, and each year the only stipulation I set was to run each day that I could. I expected to get a cold, the weather would simply be too terrible, or my body would say, “nope, not today.” However, I have been very lucky that this (knock on wood) didn’t/hasn’t happened.
What I really enjoy about the challenge is that we all come together (virtually) to face a common goal: get out there and be as consistent as possible. I love how it simplifies my training. I don’t ask myself, “should I go out today,” but rather, “when am I going out.”
Finally, and most importantly, my wife has been inspired to participate. The first year she just looked at me like I was crazy. The next year she signed up and just got bronze. This year, she is on track for 100 runs in 100 days. She has only missed 3 or 4 days — and done doubles to make up for it, which given her work schedule is just mind boggling.
For me, that is the true spirit of the challenge—get out there and do your best.
Ciao
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Flemish Arrow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think this is my 4th or 5th 100/100. I went in aiming for 100 and had almost no running fitness (I had only been swimming since mid-summer).

A couple of weeks ago I was flirting with injury so I made sure that my ultimate goal is finishing this challenge without injury.

Over this last weekend I did a 13.1 (a real race!) and did great until mile 8 and then fell apart. But, I finished with a not-horrible time and felt good about it. Today I did a 6.5km run (3 days rest) and logged 3 peaks.

So, while I'll probably only end up at around 83-85/100, the goal will have been met. I'm going to end the challenge injury-free and with a good running base.

...I'm already sad we don't have another challenge lined up.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SLOgoing wrote:
I'm already sad we don't have another challenge lined up.

As I've mentioned before [probably TOO much] ...

It's not official and it's not through Slowtwitch so there's no database, but I do my own 100/100 during the Summer from Memorial Day to Labor Day, if you're interested

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
coachjustin wrote:

not done till monday for the purists....

that being said, who else is on the purist list, 1 "minimum standards" run every day for the 100? not bragging, but dont want to feel like I am doing this alone :)

1. synthetic

The 100 that I did was of the "purist" variety (no days off, at least 30-mins or 3-miles whichever came first), but I started a 5 days early. I did bank two runs in case I needed them later, so when the Slowtwitch counter trips over to 100, I'll still be on day 98. So should I go all the way through Monday to be the purest of purists?

USA Triathlon Level 2 Coach
Slowtwitch Master Coach
Head Coach, TriCoach Colorado, LLC
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Rolldown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rolldown,

Well done on keeping the streak alive! The race report was excellent - very motivating. Thanks for posting!

Michael
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [mlawless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Friends,

I ran through 100 runs the other day and am both pleased and surprised. I tend to try and hit a run every day during this challenge each year and then supplement with a few doubles for 'fun'. This year I had a bad crash on a cross ride and broke a bunch of ribs at the end of November. This gave me the gift/challenge of six weeks off from running and I wasn't sure if I would be able to get up to 80 runs let alone 100 runs in the remaining time. As I started back running (slowly and uncomfortably) I decided to see if I could build in some doubles and start to regain ground (and fitness). I also spent a month in Quebec City during the challenge and when all your runs are outside (-23 is a bit brisk; bracing even) doubles were the only way I could build mileage as I wasn't really prepared for the conditions so two shorter runs was more tolerable than one longer run.

I am back on the west coast now (and we had a significant snowfall that just seems unnecessary) and enjoying starting to get back into the groove. The challenge has encouraged me to rebuild my run through consistency - and thank you to everyone who has shared stories of their adventures, challenges, and successes - it is very motivating to see how so many people have engaged despite the ongoing pandemic.

Stay safe and enjoy running (and Slowtwitch!),

Michael
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Flemish Arrow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flemish Arrow wrote:
Well, you aren’t alone, but I’m not sure that the real achievement is running every single day. This is my third 100/100, and each year the only stipulation I set was to run each day that I could. I expected to get a cold, the weather would simply be too terrible, or my body would say, “nope, not today.” However, I have been very lucky that this (knock on wood) didn’t/hasn’t happened.
What I really enjoy about the challenge is that we all come together (virtually) to face a common goal: get out there and be as consistent as possible. I love how it simplifies my training. I don’t ask myself, “should I go out today,” but rather, “when am I going out.”
Finally, and most importantly, my wife has been inspired to participate. The first year she just looked at me like I was crazy. The next year she signed up and just got bronze. This year, she is on track for 100 runs in 100 days. She has only missed 3 or 4 days — and done doubles to make up for it, which given her work schedule is just mind boggling.
For me, that is the true spirit of the challenge—get out there and do your best.
Ciao

Synthetic has no idea of what it take to run every day in some really hostile parts of the world with several feet of snow and ice on many days or in places where bullet are flying or landmines could explode (we have had people who have done it in that). Just getting out the door is an endless test of mental endurance for 100 days given the non optimal environment many have to endure.

There is no purist version because everyone has their own challenge. 3 miles per run is BS because Mo Farah could get done in 13 minutes and even 6 miles per run is BS because Mo Farah would still have to run more time to make it 30 minutes.

30 minutes was there to make it equivalent for everyone regardless of genetic starting point. I am not sure when the 3 mile rule crept in, but that was a concession to "faster runners" (and I used to be a 16:08 5km guy, so I GET why faster runners may feel penalized being out there longer when the got the distance done)....but I had set it 30 minutes mainly so that faster runners would have to be equally long out there for less fast runners. Its not a big deal for fast runners to be out there longer.

If you look at the table only 300 runners are going faster than 10 min per mile pace (30 min 3 miler). So for everyone else they have to run 30 minutes ANYWAY to get to 3 miles.

I did my first 100/100 when I was already older than Synthetic at age 40, 100 days in a row, no days off, covering an average of 10km per day. 15 years later, I am trying to get to get too 1000km but it is way harder and I need more than 100 runs to get there, but I have taken days off, and as I run 1 min per km slower it just taking me more hours overall. My latest version feels a lot more purist than my version 15 years ago, because the version 15 years ago was easy on a younger body.

I set this thing up to be as inclusive as possible for all abilites. It is sad that Synthetic is trying to divide people up by trying to claim some one upmanship on why his achievement is better. Everyone's achievement is their personal win.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman and others. I believe this challenge ends on Feb 22 based on this year's start date:

Nov 15-30 = 16 days
Dec = 31 days
Jan = 31 days
Feb 1-22 = 22 days

Total = 100 days

The challenge on the training log says we are on day 96 of 100. This would imply on 17 Feb there are 4 days remaining, however, there should be 5. Perhaps the training log changes over at midnight UTC. Right now it is 19:36 EST = 00:36 UTC. Is that what is going on with the log.

In any case, I believe final day is 22 Feb
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well said Dev!
I was one of the folks who did the run under the radar (unofficially).
Did 105 runs in 103 days.
Turned out to be ok, no injuries.
Lots learned.
Today I did my first exercise free day since 1st week in Nov.
How would you do a run detox?
What's a good 1st run back after 2 days of no running?

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I made 100 today. I've missed 2 days, and have gotten a second run in on 7 days. Last year I did about 75 runs, and the year before in the 50s. Here are some stats from this year

Avg time per run - 36min 37sec
Avg distance per run 3.73 miles
Avg time per mile 9:49

So wile I might not fit in the "purist" definition or not, or whatever that is, I sure think my stats are NOTHING special, nor am I. this was about a personal challenge, and everyone on that list gave something to look at and compare against. Whether they did 200 runs or single digit runs, they each have a story and their own challenges. This is about consistency, a challenge, and supporting each other. I'm sure there are some amazing stories of people overcoming their challenges, and someone else's challenge may be nothing to me and my challenge might be nothing to others. I do feel like my running form is improved, my heart rate is lower for the same pace. I have had some nagging issues, but worked through them.

Thanks to Dev/Slowman and all or Slowtwitch for keeping this challenge going! Now I'm going to go display my Gold medal for all the world to see .... oh wait, its just a Gold medal Icon on a list of 724 people, oh well, I'm enjoying knowing its there!
Last edited by: clydecat: Feb 21, 21 18:58
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:
How would you do a run detox?

As I've often said "Endorphin Withdrawal is a terrible thing to experience, and horrible to watch

Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [coachjustin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coachjustin wrote:

The 100 that I did was of the "purist" variety (no days off, at least 30-mins or 3-miles whichever came first), but I started a 5 days early. I did bank two runs in case I needed them later, so when the Slowtwitch counter trips over to 100, I'll still be on day 98. So should I go all the way through Monday to be the purest of purists?

you are 200m from the finish line... crawl your way through if you must!

purist count:

1. synthetic
2. coachjustin

devashish_paul wrote:
Well, you aren’t alone, but I’m not sure that the real achievement is running every single day.....
I set this thing up to be as inclusive as possible for all abilites. It is sad that Synthetic is trying to divide people up by trying to claim some one upmanship on why his achievement is better. Everyone's achievement is their personal win.

i had my battles. i took a trip to utah for a 2 weeks where there are many people dying from avalanches. i run in the cold freezing rain to, i prefer snow you can brush it off. I got hit by a car on my bike, barely being able to walk next day (thought i broke my hip), some how recovered to get bare minimum on the grass.

other years i got the flu into bed ridden mode. still went out.

I agree with you, that faster people get penalized , but suffered that extra distance doing 5k cool down after a mile race
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
coachjustin wrote:

you are 200m from the finish line... crawl your way through if you must!

purist count:

1. synthetic
2. coachjustin

Run through the tape!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is my first 100/100 and I have run every day and have 2 in the bank just in case. Ran through freezing rain and an inch of frozen slush this morning. Tomorrow it looks just frozen and I left my spikes at home. But, am sure nothing will stop me over the next four days. Will crawl to the finish if necessary.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Dad2twins] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What no medals! I only did this for a medal!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [JCM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JCM wrote:
This is my first 100/100 and I have run every day and have 2 in the bank just in case. Ran through freezing rain and an inch of frozen slush this morning. Tomorrow it looks just frozen and I left my spikes at home. But, am sure nothing will stop me over the next four days. Will crawl to the finish if necessary.

1. synthetic
2. coachjustin
3. JCM
Quote Reply

Prev Next