Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
And this weekend if someone up for a hot mile, I will attempted a sub 5 minute mile on Zwift in a meetup with a bunch of other folks. It will be at 11am EST and we start warmed up already with a mellow mile with a couple bursts, then push full gas on that second mile and cruise it out for another at the end. If you want to join you need to follow me on Zwift so I can invite you

result? strava link?
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ran 4:57 :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev: Congrats on staying injury-free and running 10k/day as well as all doing all the skiing. Here’s a blast from the past for you, and I thought other readers might like to see the wonderful winter sports playground we have here in Ottawa. Yesterday I did the virtual Winterlude Triathlon as part of my 100 runs — runs #116 and #117.

I’m not into virtual races at all, but it’s tough to give up a 21-year race streak so I decided to plonk down the $65 to enter this year’s virtual Winterlude Triathlon. There were four options available, and I went with The Double: skate 15k, ski 12k, run 10k, twice the distances of the regular race. In the virtual race, participants could skate, ski and run anywhere, any time throughout the month of February. The three disciplines didn’t need to be done on the same day or at the same location. But I wanted to emulate the regular triathlon as closely as possible, so I decided to do all disciplines on Feb. 6, the day the race would have been held. I also decided to do all of the legs on the Winterlude Tri course and to not use any mode of transportation other than being self-propelled. This meant I needed to be a bit creative, and I divided the triathlon into six different legs. (The Winterlude Sextathlon?) Here we go!

Friday night

Just like the regular race, I got my gear ready and packed the night before the race. Skis, poles, ski boots, long blades, running shoes, a couple of Clif bars, water, toque, headband, neck cowl, thin inner gloves, medium mitts, overmitts, an extra mitt to stick down the front of my tights and a pack to carry/strap everything, and I’m good to go.

Leg 1: Skate 10k from Second Avenue to Hartwell Locks via the NAC and Dow’s Lake Pavilion, 41:11

I got up at 6 am and filled my belly with porridge and coffee. Put on my ski boots, left the house at 6:40 and walked a block to the Second Avenue entrance of the Rideau Canal.

Look at that newly-flooded ice! With a temperature of -8, mostly sun and not much wind, conditions are going to be perfect today.

I skated north and via Patterson Creek to the north end of the canal at the 0.0 km mark near the NAC, carrying my pack with skis and poles strapped to the outside, running shoes on the inside. The ice was awesome but I took it cautiously; I didn’t want to chance a spill and damage a ski or pole. Not many skaters were on the ice at this early hour.

Then south to Dow’s Lake, again via Patterson Creek. Surely there can be no better outdoor experience in Ottawa than skating on Dow’s Lake as the sun is rising. Magical!

Finished the first leg at Hartwell Locks. Blades off, boots off and running shoes on for Leg 2.

Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I slacked off lately as I got into xc skiing since Jan 2 and have been xc skiing pretty hard daily with running fit around that. I had a goal for 1000km thought I would cruise in but now need 130km over 15 days to get to that but I am training for a virtual 50km xc ski race at the same time so it will be a push to get the run mileage in. Hopefully no major snow storms. I was hoping to break 22 min by end of challenge bit still 10 lbs over running race weight. But I prioritizing skiing and virtual ski racing since I will be able to run all year.

On a plus note lockdowns have not stopped us from outdoor exercise (run, xc ski, fat bike, snowshoes etc etc)

Congrats to Herbert on the sub 5 mile. The guy is 55 and running like a 25 year old.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Rolldown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leg 2: Run 3k from Hartwell Locks to Mooney’s Bay via Colonel By, Hog’s Back, Riverside Drive, 16:50.

This is the Winterlude Tri run route, but without the out and back north to Bronson. We carry our blades and boots during the regular race, but running with skis and poles as well was a first. After a fumbly transition, my hands were cold at the start of the run but were toasty warm by the time I got to Mooney’s Bay. I found a bench not far from the ski track, sat down, changed into ski equipment and got ready for my first skate-ski since last year’s Winterlude Tri.

Leg 3: Ski 12k, four loops of the Mooney’s Bay circuit, 1:00:42.

I’m not sure exactly how long the Mooney’s Bay ski loop is, but we ski two loops of it during the tri, so I skied four loops for this event. Some of it was tough going. There was a strong wind coming off Mooney’s Bay that had covered some of the skate-ski trail in an inch of friction-y snow. My skate-ski technique is pathetic at the best of times, and this wasn’t the best of times. Anyway, I got it done, covering the four loops in just over an hour. Didn’t stop to take many photos, as I just wanted to get it over with.

At the end, I found a corner near the athletics building that was in the sun and out of the wind, so I cowered there when transitioning to running shoes. I ate a frozen-solid Clif bar while I was changing gear.

Leg 4: Run 3k from Mooney’s Bay back to Hartwell Locks, 14:02.

I was a lot faster on the return run, partly because I was running hard to keep warm. This was the first time I have ever been buffeted on a run by the wind blowing on skis and poles sticking above my head.

Leg 5: Skate 5k from Hartwell Locks to Second Avenue via Dow’s Lake Pavilion, 17:11.

I needed to skate to the pavilion before I went to Second Avenue to ensure I’d hit at least 15k skating in total. The sun was out, and it was a joy to be on the ice, which was still in great condition.

Here’s some of the equipment that helps keep the canal in shape:

Leg 6: Run 4k from Second Avenue to Parliament Hill, 20:27.

I still needed to run 4k, and there was only one place in town to finish this uniquely Canadian adventure. I changed into my running shoes then ran two minutes home, dropping off my pack and eating a house-warmed, unfrozen Clif bar. I ran back to the canal and south to the Flora Footbridge for an overview. There were certainly a lot more skaters on the canal than earlier today.

Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Rolldown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Then I headed north along Queen Elizabeth Driveway, which was closed to traffic. I stopped to take a photo with a taller, smarter, more attractive friend of mine. At least I’m faster than her!

Overlooking the north end of the canal are the flags of Canada’s territories and provinces. I think I recognize that first flag!

The castle-like Chateau Laurier Hotel is just across the street.

And then on to Parliament Hill, which was very quiet.

My total time for skating 15k, skiing 12k and running 10k was 2:50:23. I stopped my watch during transitions and when I was taking photos. I left my house at 6:40 am and arrived at Parliament Hill at 10:50 am, which means I spent 1 hour, 20 minutes of inactivity. Well, I guess there were five transitions, but yikes! However, I got the tri done, and my streak is still alive at 22 years in a row.

How lucky are we to live in a city where — with a bit of creativity — we can run, skate and ski right from our front door without needing to drive anywhere?

Though my virtual tri was now finished, it occurred to me that I hadn’t yet actually completed a 30-minute continuous run to qualify for the 100 Runs Challenge. (But I am going to bend the rules and combine the first two 3k runs, totalling just over 30 minutes, as one run.) When we would do the real Winterlude Tri, Dev and I would both do the final 5k run leg in about 20 minutes. (Dev always finished well ahead of me, including winning the race at least once.) To get in 30-minute runs to qualify for the 100 Runs, immediately after the race Dev and I would do a 10-minute cool down run together — always good memories. Similarly, I did a 4k cool down run back to my house from Parliament Hill so that the 8k, 40 minute run could count.

Hope we’re back on the real Winterlude Triathlon start line next February, when I’ll be aiming to finish for the 23rd year in a row.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
I ran 4:57 :-)

Yes but would like to see the strava to analyze.

Everyone sharing xc ski pics, thank you - beautiful
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am easily found as there is only one Herbert Krabel

https://www.strava.com/athletes/20148117
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Went over 1,000 k this weekend. No great stories. Just running every day.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
I am easily found as there is only one Herbert Krabel

https://www.strava.com/athletes/20148117

thanks. im curious, and request outdoor mile attempt. its amazing you can handle the torture on treadmill. im sad and jealous as i have no access to them anymore due to gym closures. the forced pacing of it really helps though
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Outdoor would be easier in my view if you have a proper pace crew. If you don’t run the first 800 too hard - it is on.

The treadmill forces you to stay on pace. So I ran 800 meters at 12mph, 300 meters at 12.1mph and 500 meters (until I saw the badge) at 12.3mph.

The only reason for me to do this is to get that Zwift badge. My main target really are various ultra runs, and although I qualified for Boston that is really only a B event to me. Excited to do it but not putting much effort into it.

But I like that I can diverse things. Train long hard and often and still manage to run fast short.

As for the treadmill - it is a superb training tool. And for that mile we were 6 folks on Zwift attempting that sub 5. In general lots of great training runs and workouts and a great runner community. When I ran 100k in the treadmill last June I had lots of company most of the way
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like I might be done with this year's challenge. Yesterday on an easy 5k treadmill run I felt a little pain in my right foot in the area of a neuroma. It went away and didn't bother me all the rest of the day but this morning, WHAM-O! It came back with a vengeance.

I first had an issue with this last September, got a shot and everything has been fine until yesterday. Time to call the podiatrist.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hopefully nothing big. Get well soon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week I tried to combine runs that were split by Zwift and it did not go well.

I had wondered why my run distance average was lower than I thought, and then it hit me that all these Zwift events get split. So basically when you start to warmup on Zwift 15 minutes before an event, as soon as you join the event Zwift will then record that warmup as a separate run. So let us say you did a 5k race, but warmed up for 1.5 miles, and in the end cooled down for another 1 mile, you would end up with 2 runs, both on Zwift and Strava. Run A 1.5 miles, and Run B 4.1 miles.

Last week I combined two such events in the training log, and then deleted the shorter one. But the next time I synced Strava the short ones popped up again. So I deleted them again, only for them to show up later again. So now I deleted them from Strava, even though I had run them. Oh well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
Outdoor would be easier in my view if you have a proper pace crew. If you don’t run the first 800 too hard - it is on.

The treadmill forces you to stay on pace. So I ran 800 meters at 12mph, 300 meters at 12.1mph and 500 meters (until I saw the badge) at 12.3mph.

The only reason for me to do this is to get that Zwift badge. My main target really are various ultra runs, and although I qualified for Boston that is really only a B event to me. Excited to do it but not putting much effort into it.

But I like that I can diverse things. Train long hard and often and still manage to run fast short.

As for the treadmill - it is a superb training tool. And for that mile we were 6 folks on Zwift attempting that sub 5. In general lots of great training runs and workouts and a great runner community. When I ran 100k in the treadmill last June I had lots of company most of the way

thanks for providing breakdown, and your strava. I wanted to see if you need to do rolling start to get to speed since most treadmills have a stupid delay built in. Although some you can hack to remove it (if its your own). From a standstill will need to run 4:40 pace or better for one of the 400s to make up for that delay
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Outside the problem currently also is that there way too many Covid bored folks on the track.

You would have to almost run it late at night
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great post/adventure! Thanks for sharing!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing and congrats on keeping the streak going! I can't imagine running with x-c skies hanging off my back.

Well done!

AJ

-------------------------------------------------------
IM WC Hawaii 2024
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Today was my 100th straight day of running as I’ve been running at least 5 km every day since 2 November (in total almost 750 km).

I don’t think that I’ve ever run more than two consecutive days until I started off in November, so this is a pretty decent run streak PR. I thought I was going to have to battle through some periods of aches and pains, but - to my surprise - I’ve actually only felt better and better all along.

My plan is to continue at least for the remainder of February, and then we’ll see.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [StaffanS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is great. Keep it up
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
its amazing you can handle the torture on treadmill. im sad and jealous as i have no access to them anymore due to gym closures. the forced pacing of it really helps though

Running at or near race pace on a treadmill, in the gym, with a mask, after you haven't shaved for a few days, is terribly uncomfortable in more than the usual ways

Zero stars = do not recommend

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So with this thing ending on 22 Feb in your time zone we have 13 days of running left including today Feb 12

Nov 15-30 = 16 days
Dec = 31 days
Jan = 31 days
Feb = 22 days

The challenge in the log says it is day 88, so I was worried I only had 12 days left, but it is really 13 days of running INCLUSIVE of today. I need to do 110km more to get to 1000km so that's 110km/13 = 8.46km per day.

I am also trying to get to 1000km of XC skiing by end of month. I started on Jan 2. I have 19 days of XC skiing left to do 352 (current at 648km). I have been averaging a combined 25km per day between the two sports. Generally 16km skiing and 9km running. I just have to keep up that quota daily to end of 100/100 then keep the skiing up. I am racing three virtual races 50km skate ski, 25km skate ski, and 25km classic ski during this ttime (I may do the 50km classic too, let's see).

I got a good routine on the ski trails 3km from home that I hit at lunch with a short transition run and then I do the rest of my run quota at night on the treadmill and if I have energy finish up with rowing machine, treadmill and pushups.

Converting Jan+Feb into a distance accumulation personal stage race has kept my mind sane during lockdown since pools and everything else in society is shut.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [StaffanS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am with you as I never ran many days together and this challenge has really made a difference. Have not missed a day and have done two doubles to be safe. Now that the dogs don't feel like they are about to fall off, I have started to leaven in other workouts as well. Let's keep it going.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [JCM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is winter and cold in Sweden and I am old and lazy but 100/100 makes me going out.
After the run I am warm and happy so thank you for this challenge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We were fortunate to have a relatively mild December/January this year and it was fairly easy to get out for runs. Now February has come in like a lion and it's fricking COLD and we've had SNOW and ICE on the paths which really makes for challenging runs. I was smart enough last week to make this purchase which is keeping me off the treadmill (for now). I highly recommend them for the STs who have to battle the elements as well as the challenge :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next