Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Oceanside Race Report - 1st OA Female [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL, if only I had started 10 years earlier that might be true.

The reality is no kids (yet) so “me time” is still a thing
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside Race Report - 1st OA Female [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duh, I meant Age Grouper! That’s what I actually thought “OA” stood for [Face Palm]
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside Race Report - 1st OA Female [jamlo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jamlo wrote:
Congrats! Out of curiosity, if you live in NY, why are all your races in CA?

Oh, I’ll race anywhere, and have done tons of East Coast races as well, but early season it’s nice to escape the cold (and Oceanside is a big Wattie gathering), and flying to the west coast is not that dissimilar in time as shocking as it sounds and a lot easier as can just kick back and relax and sit there and do emails and stuff on the plane than say driving up to Placid (!)
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside Race Report - 1st OA Female [BrashTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweet! Great job Lucy! Nice to meet you this past weekend and see you at IMSR -- Courtney's friend Christine.
I'm in Brooklyn - do you ride up 9W with a group? I'll be up there this weekend....
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside Race Report - 1st OA Female [cfrietch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry folks. I see many claim first AG as first OA . First overall amateur is worthy here cause different rules for bike in speed limit zone
Last edited by: synthetic: Apr 12, 19 9:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
outstanding race!

I am curious if you have had your position or equipment looked at? I understand it was a slow day but 230 watts at around 150lbs should work out to be around +13 minutes off the male pros, especially since there were no real uber bikers there. On a flat course at 230 watts I am around 25.3-25.8mph (same weight). Your putting out great power but doesn't translate to a 2:37.

I did not calculate in the elevation but 230 watts for 2:37 equals a .38 CDA.

Even best bike split shows 2:26 at Oceanside. I have found best bike split to be very good always within 3 minutes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Solid race, congrats!
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside Race Report - 1st OA Female [cfrietch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cfrietch wrote:
Sweet! Great job Lucy! Nice to meet you this past weekend and see you at IMSR -- Courtney's friend Christine.
I'm in Brooklyn - do you ride up 9W with a group? I'll be up there this weekend....

Thanks! Oh cool, yes I do ride 9w a bit, this weekend looks a bit meh (fair weather only!) But if it ends up being nice i'll be out. We should meet up and ride one Sunday!
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside Race Report - 1st OA Female [Alwaysrunning99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alwaysrunning99 wrote:
outstanding race!

I am curious if you have had your position or equipment looked at? I understand it was a slow day but 230 watts at around 150lbs should work out to be around +13 minutes off the male pros, especially since there were no real uber bikers there. On a flat course at 230 watts I am around 25.3-25.8mph (same weight). Your putting out great power but doesn't translate to a 2:37.

Even best bike split shows 2:26 at Oceanside. I have found best bike split to be very good always within 3 minutes.

I was shocked how SLOW it was as I had ran best bike split and was hoping for something 2:27-2:30. On a flat course on my old bike (a pretty optimised cad slice) I normally ride 2:25 +|- 5 mins but the course at Oceanside has never favored me that well, I rode 2:38 in 2017.
I think my position is ok to good (though with room for improvement), but if I underperform at my next race I might look into some tunnel time. I think a few things that might have explained it is not managing the terrain and corners as well as I could and perhaps some hesitation from being on a new bike / slightly different fit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use cycleops p1 pedals for power. My average was 209 watts and my NO was 219 watts. I ride a 2012 giant trinity advanced SL2 (older bike). I weigh ~151 pounds and had my bike packed with 2 24oz bottles behind the seat and 1 of the xlab torpedo bottles up front. I also had a small bag with 2x 16g CO2s, a spare tube, tire lever, and CO2 inflator head.

My bike time (2:37:55) was almost exactly the same as yours at 3.05 w/kg relative to average power.

Just a data point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A great report. Thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Understandable and hopefully a flat race will give a better data point.

on the other hand, if your still +5min of BBS I don't think the tunnel is needed. The tunnel should answer question that are much smaller in margins. I would bet if your that far outside of BBS its a poor fitting tri-suit or an unorthodox bike fit. It has to be something large and easily noticeable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s a great performance and solid ride, no doubt! However, I think her power meter may be reading higher than her power actually is. She mentions 6 minute intervals at 300 watts; that is quite high for a female, granted it’s all relative to weight (for reference, my data points of reference come from my experience as a pro, training with other pro female triathletes, and regular training with three pro female cyclists incl 2 olympians.) Again, not trying to take anything away from her superb performance, but with those numbers, she’d be able to consider a pro cycling career.
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside Race Report - 1st OA Female [Pro_Sandbagger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pro_Sandbagger wrote:
I use cycleops p1 pedals for power. My average was 209 watts and my NO was 219 watts. I ride a 2012 giant trinity advanced SL2 (older bike). I weigh ~151 pounds and had my bike packed with 2 24oz bottles behind the seat and 1 of the xlab torpedo bottles up front. I also had a small bag with 2x 16g CO2s, a spare tube, tire lever, and CO2 inflator head.

My bike time (2:37:55) was almost exactly the same as yours at 3.05 w/kg relative to average power.

Just a data point.

That's interesting! I'm basically "wasting" or my PM is reading high about 10w vs you. Interesting to see, thank you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alwaysrunning99 wrote:
Understandable and hopefully a flat race will give a better data point.

on the other hand, if your still +5min of BBS I don't think the tunnel is needed. The tunnel should answer question that are much smaller in margins. I would bet if your that far outside of BBS its a poor fitting tri-suit or an unorthodox bike fit. It has to be something large and easily noticeable.

Yes, I'm interested to ride a flat course for sure.

I have a high hands position but otherwise not that unorthodox (I dont think) - pic attached I don't have a good side on one from the race

I was a moron and had my bib flapping in the wind (face palm) as I didn't fully rotate it around! I also could have had a bit of break rub as I had some issues in the AM in transition but *thought* I had solved, but often hard to.fully know when under weight vs. on a stand.

I also think I was not down as much as I could have been and am going to try some bigger pads and maybe some tilt to make it more comfy
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside Race Report - 1st OA Female [quakertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
quakertri wrote:
It’s a great performance and solid ride, no doubt! However, I think her power meter may be reading higher than her power actually is. She mentions 6 minute intervals at 300 watts; that is quite high for a female, granted it’s all relative to weight (for reference, my data points of reference come from my experience as a pro, training with other pro female triathletes, and regular training with three pro female cyclists incl 2 olympians.) Again, not trying to take anything away from her superb performance, but with those numbers, she’d be able to consider a pro cycling career.

Thanks. I'm on the heavier build for a female side at 150-155 depending on day (w/kg nothing special) compared to most pros say but very possible PM reads high. Pedals / wahoo are +/- 5w but that could be enough to explain it.

On a flat course, I've been on par with newer female pros on the bike, for example at Indian Wells I Rode a 2:24 at similar power which I think was in line with and/or faster than quite a few of the top 10 pros BUT the pros are like 1000x faster swimmer and runners than I am! I've tried my hand at cycling with a bit of success but I'm a horrible sprinter and quite the whimp in a crit (which is what most of the races are in NYC)

For this race, my problem solving is leaning to some poor handeling, perhaps some position tweaks needed and a recalibration to make sure I'm working as hard as I think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BrashTri wrote:
Alwaysrunning99 wrote:
outstanding race!

I was shocked how SLOW it was as I had ran best bike split and was hoping for something 2:27-2:30. On a flat course on my old bike (a pretty optimised cad slice) I normally ride 2:25 +|- 5 mins but the course at Oceanside has never favored me that well, I rode 2:38 in 2017.
I think my position is ok to good (though with room for improvement), but if I underperform at my next race I might look into some tunnel time. I think a few things that might have explained it is not managing the terrain and corners as well as I could and perhaps some hesitation from being on a new bike / slightly different fit

I would be of the strong belief that tunnel time would be money not well spent. I would also say that for most people in your position (and most people in general); it's likely not going to tell you anything you don't already know. An area on which to improve for most triathlon cyclists is technical acumen. Like you say, managing the terrain, corners, passing, etc as efficiently as possible. You could go to the tunnel and improve 10w (I made that number up) but seeing that validated is virtually impossible. Validating techincal cycling skill set is easy.
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside Race Report - 1st OA Female [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
BrashTri wrote:
Alwaysrunning99 wrote:
outstanding race!

I would be of the strong belief that tunnel time would be money not well spent. I would also say that for most people in your position (and most people in general); it's likely not going to tell you anything you don't already know. An area on which to improve for most triathlon cyclists is technical acumen. Like you say, managing the terrain, corners, passing, etc as efficiently as possible. You could go to the tunnel and improve 10w (I made that number up) but seeing that validated is virtually impossible. Validating techincal cycling skill set is easy.

I agree which is why I haven't been yet, but nice to confirm my thinking from someone that knows a lot about having a good set up and going fast
I first need to get off zwift and actually spend a bit more time riding outside
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t know your background, but I think your run has potential to eventually hit closer to “pro-times”, just based on what you posted; keep up the great work, and don’t sell yourself short! Seems like your coach has a good handle on not letting you do too much run speed-work just yet, and that’s probably a good thing to prevent injury and build your base. In short, you might have more run speed that you’ll see come out in the next few years than you even realize! :)

As far as the swim is concerned, yeah, it will be about minimizing time loss/energy usage, since you don’t have much swim background. Honestly, I’d spend some more time in the pool, 5-6x/wk min, to improve that; but that’s between you and your coach, so I’ll shut up now, haha. Good luck with your season, by the way!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BrashTri wrote:
Nice, I live near hudson yards on the west side. I mostly swim at MPHC on 43rd and 10th and then heavily use the trainer and treadmill and get out and up up to the palisades some weekends if the emails/call schedule inst too bad and out around the city on the weekends - park and bridge runs are my fav!

Congrats and nice write up!!

I live in Dumbo and train 15-20hrs/week (building for IM Cork in June) while also working nonstop (but probably not as much as you). If you ever feel like dropping in on a masters swim practice, we have a really good group @ Baruch College (24th/Lex). I swim with Bearcat Masters M-W-F but NYC Hydras is also a great program that I drop in on too... on Thursday mornings they run a distance practice that can get up to 6,000 sc meters...

Good luck in Santa Rosa!

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You F#cking rock, Lucy. I see your effort everyday (on IG) and it's actually inspiring. Happy to see you had such good run comeback after your injury last year.
I don't think we've seen your full unleashed potential yet, but talk about dedication and discipline. You really crushed at Oceanside.

Follow me on IG: @Commandersnake
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
killer race as usual...it was great to meet my teammate finally, and starting the swim with the group we had I think made it far more comfortable for all of us. good luck at SR time to check that last box!

"If you want to experience all of the successes and pleasure in life, you have to be willing to accept all the pain and failure that comes with it"
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside Race Report - 1st OA Female [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh great recommendation, I know Marc at Hydras well but had no idea they do that sort of session - that would be awesome, I'll look into it as I'd love to swim with people more
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Totally great race report and AWESOME performance! Massive Congrats! I am intrigued by your experience with the HUUB vs. Roka wetsuit, as I too, am broad through the upper torso and feel constricted by my Roka suit. Do you mind me asking your height and weight stats? I am 5'7" and 149 pounds for reference. I'd like to try a HUUB prior to my first IM this fall!

I am now following your journey on Instagram! Many thanks!

Patti
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside Race Report - 1st OA Female [AquaBikePatti65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AquaBikePatti65 wrote:
Totally great race report and AWESOME performance! Massive Congrats! I am intrigued by your experience with the HUUB vs. Roka wetsuit, as I too, am broad through the upper torso and feel constricted by my Roka suit. Do you mind me asking your height and weight stats? I am 5'7" and 149 pounds for reference. I'd like to try a HUUB prior to my first IM this fall!

I am now following your journey on Instagram! Many thanks!

Patti

Same here... currently using a 2017 MavX in ML... I know HUUB has SS sizing but I'm under the weight on that one. Thinking ML which is what I use in Roka but also only 5'8". For M definately on the upper weight limit for Huub.
Quote Reply

Prev Next