Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Bike Sponsors Thread 2019 [jakers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just needs to fix the shoe color and that's one matchy-matchy kit!

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jakers wrote:
Good Call!

Ben Hoffman on Cervelo according to his IG this morning..

jake

I can't take credit - someone else thought it was Cervelo. I actually thought it would be the P5 Disc poster boy and was waiting for the official launch of that bike!

That said - he looks good on that bike! Congrats to Ben!

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good for Ben. Hopefully this helps propel him to a great comeback year.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike Sponsors Thread 2019 [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
he looks good on that bike!

sitting behind him is difficult.
Last edited by: jkhayc: Feb 12, 19 12:47
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike Sponsors Thread 2019 [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
Quote:
he looks good on that bike!

sitting behind him is difficult.

Well, sexy calves. Do your calves have their own insta account?

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mine are unworthy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you speak for us all.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you haven't seen the P5 Disc in person then? :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Riding with Hoff requires an NDA submission
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's not a no! :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I would guess most bigger name guys/gals are in the 40-60k camp. But there's probably <30? Of those in long course racing. "
-----------------------
Your guess is way too high. I have seen the contracts and tax returns, including the highest level. I've seen ITU contracts/returns also. Typically MUCH lower base except for the top 5 or so. Of course there are outliers for those who REALLY help monetize - LS may be one of those clear exceptions. Additionally, some very high incentives e.g. 1st off the bike in Kona, New Kona record, etc.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Last edited by: david: Feb 13, 19 5:10
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike Sponsors Thread 2019 [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i guess you're just arguing semantics then over what i meant by ''bigger.''

i said <30.

that's definitely a correct number.
Last edited by: jkhayc: Feb 13, 19 5:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 . . . and "most" and "40 - 60K"

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike Sponsors Thread 2019 [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you're the attorney. my statement read: "less than 30 in long course triathlon racing make $40-60k."

do you disagree?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fewer, dammit. fewer.....

jkhayc wrote:
you're the attorney. my statement read: "less than 30 in long course triathlon racing make $40-60k."

do you disagree?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike Sponsors Thread 2019 [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
actually...

that's one that could sort of go both ways i felt like. because it's a quantity, you're inclined to go with ''fewer,'' but because it's sort of a "mass noun" in this particular context, describing a sort of body of people or group, i went with less.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
actually...

that's one that could sort of go both ways i felt like. because it's a quantity, you're inclined to go with ''fewer,'' but because it's sort of a "mass noun" in this particular context, describing a sort of body of people or group, i went with less.

Nope.

"fewer" is for when the thing you are describing is subdivided into units of that thing itself. eg. 1 person, 2 people, etc... 1 water, 2 waters etc doesn't really make sense (unless you are using a shorthand for "glass of water", but even then you would say "put fewer waters on the table" to indicate that there are too many glasses on the table. )

"less" water.

"fewer" people.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike Sponsors Thread 2019 [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NERDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike Sponsors Thread 2019 [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do people really buy a bike because "Pro So and So" rides one?
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike Sponsors Thread 2019 [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. Not that I own one (only because I couldnt afford it), but the only reason I knew about Canyon as a company 2-3 years ago was because of Frodeno. And you better believe if I had money I would have bought a Speedmax in a heart beat.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I definitely think it makes a difference. Seeing Frodeno on a canyon made canyon legit to me. Watching Kienle crush the bike in 2014 on the plasma made me think that the plasma was the new era of super bikes. I definitely think the sponsorship matters, at least I guess it does in my eyes.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maurice Clavel to Scott. Another fast German...could make a huge difference in the bike leg in the big IMs in the future.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scottxs wrote:

Yes.

ST is not the majority.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scottxs wrote:

You present a very rational question that we see here a lot on slowtwitch but that's not how sponsorship marketing works. To answer your question, very few people are going to go out and sell their shiv and buy a Cervelo because of Ben Hoffman.

The reason companies sponsor pros really comes down to checking a validation check mark when the consumer is going through their purchasing decision model. Consumer A is in the bike shop and getting ready to drop 8K on a P5. In order for the consumer to hand over their credit card, they have to navigate several questions with their brain before they can commit to purchase. Am I attracted to the bike, does the bike meet my needs and goals, does the bike fit my budget, am I going to gain street cred riding around town on this bike, is this bike going to allow me to reach my potential, is this bike really worth 8k etc etc etc.

Consciously or often sub-consciously for the consumer, Cervelo sponsoring a guy like Ben Hoffman answers some of those questions for the consumer and ultimately helps pave the way to handing over the Visa. "This bike has to been fast and worth 8K Ben finished second in kona or hell yeah im attracted to this bike, did you see how cool it looked with hoffmans calves pushing the pedals."

Now in order for sponsorship marketing to work, the bike manufacture has to hold their end of the bargain up with great brand marketing and emerging new "sexy" technology. Classic example of this is Lionel and Garneau. Lionel certainly held his end of the bargain up, but Garneau failed to deliver on the brand marketing side and just had a very plain "run of the mill" tt bike that generated very little excitement in the industry. Absolutely nothing wrong with the bike and highly doubt it ever cost lionel a win, but there was just never anything cool about it or decades of history to back it up.

The flip side of this is Norman Stadler and Kuota in the mid 2000's. Kuota and the Kailbur was a very cool bike, a bit ahead of its time, and Norman crushed Kona on board. The next few years they made a huge splash in the tri industry and maintained a sizable market share for how new and small of a company they were. Later on they would struggle but that is an entirely different topic.

Last example is Phelps and Subway. People didn't go out and buy foot longs because they had phelps posters hanging in their home. Sub-consciously they figured subway was a healthy option because the greatest swimmer of all time showed up in a commercial with his goofy smile.
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike Sponsors Thread 2019 [mdgreene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Terenzo was ridding unbranded Argon 18 at IM New Zeland.... No Logos at his racesuit also!
Quote Reply

Prev Next