Prev Next
Re: New 'Runn' Treadmill Sensor [Seth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i believe zwift running is free for now
Quote Reply
Re: New 'Runn' Treadmill Sensor [Scott_B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scott_B wrote:
I just hooked up my Runn and tested it by setting my treadmill to 10.0 kph. Zwift was showing speeds ranging between 16-17 kph. It appears that the Runn is transmitting speed as kph to Zwift, but then Zwift thinks it’s mph and coverts it to kph. Has anybody else seen this, and if so what did you do to correct the problem?

Interesting. That was exactly what mine was doing too. I thought it was mis-calibrated from the factory, so I had to recalibrate myself (there's an online tutorial on how to do that). But doing so, basically sets the Runn speed to the same as my treadmill. Which I am pretty sure is wrong to begin with.
Quote Reply
Re: New 'Runn' Treadmill Sensor [bx3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m unable to calibrate the Runn, even if I wanted to which I don’t. The speed difference between the treadmill and what is being reported is so great that any attempt to calibrate the Runn results in an error.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I plugged in my Runn so it is constantly charged, but my thought is that they released the product too fast. The bracket that holds the Runn is flimsy and there are too many folks reporting problems such as wrong charging cables sent, a poor instruction sheet, and data just off.

My Woodway is accurate as far as I know, and the speeds I have run on it very much relate to my IRL runs on the road, but my treadmill feels so much nicer. I also have a Stryd, and it reports slightly (.1kph) below the Woodway, while Runn with 6 evenly paced stickers is as much as .5kph faster.
Quote Reply
Re: New 'Runn' Treadmill Sensor [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I picked up the Runn based on the rec's here. Tried it out for the first time this morning and I would agree that it reported speed slightly faster. Typically in the range of 0.1-0.3 mph, but then would sometimes slow down that same amount. The average pace recorded on Zwift was barely faster than that of the treadmill, but I don't have a fancy one like you. Care to upgrade and part with your old one? Either way the Runn worked way more consistently than the zwift footpod I was initially using.
Quote Reply
Re: New 'Runn' Treadmill Sensor [erik+] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Zwift pod is pretty much worth what you paid for. It is either Stryd or Runn.

I now have a new Woodway and it is awesome and it connects direct to Zwift and records incline.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been in touch with NPE regarding the problems I am having with my Runn. They have been very responsive thus far. If my unit (the Runn that is) is defective, I am sure there will be no issues in exchanging it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i wrote about this today on the front page. i, like you, have a woodway 4front. this is how i solved my issues with the cradle.

there's some other stuff i mentioned. i started farting around with this at endurance exchange, when i first saw this mounted on a woodway 4front (the one used by famiglietti during his 2mi at that conference). then i brought it home and have been messing with it myself. this is my take on the device.

i'm glad if this illuminates the discussion; and i'm also eager to hear what i missed in my review, what i got wrong. also, i'm in touch with the folks at north pole engineering and what i think is i'll be able to give you instructions on how to perform a firmware upgrade to those of you who're interested.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scott_B wrote:
I have been in touch with NPE regarding the problems I am having with my Runn. They have been very responsive thus far. If my unit (the Runn that is) is defective, I am sure there will be no issues in exchanging it.

for those interested, and if you don't have this already, here is the firmware update. i haven't yet done mine. i just got this. there's 2 files: instructions, and the firmware payload itself. i don't get the sense it's a trivial process, but i haven't gotten into it. perhaps it's easy. i'll get to this and then i'll report back. anybody else who wants to give this a shot and report back, i'm sure that would be welcome.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: New 'Runn' Treadmill Sensor [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Runn measures pace pretty well, but doesn't measure cadence or slope. I am using mine with a Garmin 735XT, only using Ant+, no Bluetooth. I have been told by NPE that the problem is that the accelerometer isn't powered up unless there is a Bluetooth connection. (I assume that the same applies to the inclinometer). Cadence isn't a problem, I get that from the chest strap, but slope would be nice for future comparisons.
Is this the firmware upgrade that fixes this problem?

Edit: your link to the firmware update doesn't work.

Edit #2: Link works now. Likely something on my end with cookies turned off, etc.

Edit #3: Instructions refer to iOS or Android devices. Guess I'm screwed since all I have is a Windows laptop.

salmon - not because I'm a fish
Last edited by: salmon: Mar 23, 20 10:14
Quote Reply
Re: New 'Runn' Treadmill Sensor [salmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
salmon wrote:
My Runn measures pace pretty well, but doesn't measure cadence or slope. I am using mine with a Garmin 735XT, only using Ant+, no Bluetooth. I have been told by NPE that the problem is that the accelerometer isn't powered up unless there is a Bluetooth connection. (I assume that the same applies to the inclinometer). Cadence isn't a problem, I get that from the chest strap, but slope would be nice for future comparisons. Is this the firmware upgrade that fixes this problem?

i use the BLE signal, because i'm using appletv to run zwift, and it's looking for that signal. but yes, it addresses the ANT+ signal for these metrics:

1. Cadence and Incline data is now transmitted over ANT+ without needing a BLE connection
2. Improved data transmission stability (fewer data dropouts)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That looks like an awesome update and they may have just sold one to me based on the update. I want ANT+ speed and incline. Perfect, thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Scott_B wrote:

for those interested, and if you don't have this already, here is the firmware update. i haven't yet done mine. i just got this. there's 2 files: instructions, and the firmware payload itself. i don't get the sense it's a trivial process, but i haven't gotten into it. perhaps it's easy. i'll get to this and then i'll report back. anybody else who wants to give this a shot and report back, i'm sure that would be welcome.

My fear on this update is that it clearly is labeled and Alpha so I wonder how stable/good it is at this point. I communicated with their support last week asking about how to connect via Bluetooth to my Polar M430 and they said it would be addressed in the next firmware update but that testing was delayed due to COVID-19 closures. So this hasn't been tested and I'm fearful of putting a buggy firmware on my device rendering it unusable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Scott_B wrote:

Looks like they pulled this link down Dan. Nothing listed on their page about it one way or the other. Mine has been working fine with Apple TV, but it won’t pair with my Garmin FR 945. Of you have a chance to circle back with them on firmware updates and availability for product users that would be great.

I’m hoping their customer support improves going forward as they appear to be headed towards offering more mainstream consumer products (still niche, but not as niche as CABLE or WASP) I also have GEM Retrofit that came from Wahoo. My firmware update inquiry went directly to VP who deferred to someone out of the office. No follow up despite a couple follow ups from me:(
Quote Reply
Re: New 'Runn' Treadmill Sensor [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Scott_B wrote:

Looks like they pulled this link down Dan. Nothing listed on their page about it one way or the other. Mine has been working fine with Apple TV, but it won’t pair with my Garmin FR 945. Of you have a chance to circle back with them on firmware updates and availability for product users that would be great.

I’m hoping their customer support improves going forward as they appear to be headed towards offering more mainstream consumer products (still niche, but not as niche as CABLE or WASP) I also have GEM Retrofit that came from Wahoo. My firmware update inquiry went directly to VP who deferred to someone out of the office. No follow up despite a couple follow ups from me:(

yeah. i found out they don't want the link shared. they want (i think) to personally interact with everyone who updates the firmware. i guess perhaps it's still in beta.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I should have updated this thread a couple of weeks ago. I received a Runn replacement through a simple and rapid process. The new Runn has been working flawlessly with my iPad. I much prefer the Runn over footpods that were either problematic with dropouts or seemed to only be reasonably accurate within a small speed range.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are you folks using for a screen to watch as you run on Zwift?

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: New 'Runn' Treadmill Sensor [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use an iPad Pro 12.9” for Zwift. Runs flawlessly with no glitches. The graphics are fine. A gaming PC hooked up to a 4K display will obviously look better, however it may be less stabile.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I think my samsung cell phone will be too small.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can run Zwift on a phone, but it’s going to be difficult to see other riders/runners. It’s fine for picking up points while you watch Netflix on your 120” TV.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:
What are you folks using for a screen to watch as you run on Zwift?
we run Zwift on PC’s for cycling as that is what we had set up for using PerfPro and Computrainers. For Zwift running we have a TV mounted in front of the treadmill and use Apple TV for tuning the Zwift app. The ATv remote can drive you nuts, but the price and form factor are tough to beat.
Quote Reply
Re: New 'Runn' Treadmill Sensor [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:
TriathlonJoe wrote:
I have the same issue with my treadmill at home.

I run on two treadmills with the stryd; one at work and one at home. The one at work is within .1 of what Zwift says I'm running. The one at home is at least .6 of a mile off from what Zwift says I'm running. I've compared the power output at each speed and I'm leaning to think that my treadmill at home is off and the footpod works fine. It just sucks that for me to run at an 7:30 pace I've got to run sub 7.

1. Mark your treadmill belt
2. Measure the length of the belt by rotating and measuring until you get to the mark again.
3. Set a speed on the controller, Count Revolutions per time of the belt
4. Convert to Feet per second, then convert to miles per hour
5. Compare to speed treadmill was set at.

Advanced:
Have someone else do this while you're running on the treadmill.

My Runn doesn't get delivered till tomorrow . . .(79.99 on sale direct from NPE btw) but, I went ahead and measured my TM (2019 Landice L7) as you described. Looks like it's pretty accurate . . .+0.73% . . .as in the distance ran is 0.73% further than indicated on TM. Yay I guess . . and that's probably within a margin of error with my measurement over 3 minutes of revolutions.
Last edited by: Michael Jones: Apr 8, 20 17:55
Quote Reply
Re: New 'Runn' Treadmill Sensor [Michael Jones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine was a bit finnicky to set-up, but after adjusting the positioning of the cradle and stickers a bit, I get consistent results. My TM is pretty much bang on (it is brand new) based on the run, at higher speeds it slows by .1mph occasionally with foot strikes (it's only a 3.0CHP motor, so that's not shocking).
Last edited by: Trauma: Apr 9, 20 5:27
Quote Reply
Re: New 'Runn' Treadmill Sensor [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
May I ask this:
  • I have a dumb treadmill. If I buy the Runn and then use it with Zwift - I am just doing flat running unless I manually change the incline - right?
  • So in my case - using Zwift running and the Runn - I am getting the benefit of running on Zwift routes and my data being transmitted to Zwift by Runn?
  • However my actual running will be whatever I decide to do - distance, pace, incline - since my treadmill is not a smart device like my Wahoo Kickr for cycling?

Sorry if I am being obtuse,
John
Quote Reply
Re: New 'Runn' Treadmill Sensor [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
May I ask this:
  • I have a dumb treadmill. If I buy the Runn and then use it with Zwift - I am just doing flat running unless I manually change the incline - right?
  • So in my case - using Zwift running and the Runn - I am getting the benefit of running on Zwift routes and my data being transmitted to Zwift by Runn?
  • However my actual running will be whatever I decide to do - distance, pace, incline - since my treadmill is not a smart device like my Wahoo Kickr for cycling?

Sorry if I am being obtuse,
John

Yes, to all 3 of your questions.

Nanoo Nanoo
Quote Reply

Prev Next