Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ministry of Travel [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
Two points I want to share with you:

1. batteries
I had an annoying experience at a check-in counter of Condor (a European airline) As I run Campagnolo ESP they did not like the battery. In the end I was lucky and they let it through.
After some research I found out that in principle you are not allowed to have any batteries in checked in luggage I think with any airline. You can take it in hand luggage if the capacity is <100 Wh, which is generally the case for such batteries.
With Campagnolo it is difficult to demount the battery. Although my trip this week to Kona is with Lufthansa and United I will demount the battery and mount it again in Kona anyway because I want to avoid any problems beforehand.

2. stem
I demount the stem from the fork to fold the cockpit such over the frame that it fits in my bike case, leaving all the cables. If you do not secure the fork-bearings the bearing balls can fall all over the place. A friend of mine had that-> he could not ride the bike when he arrived and tried to mount the stem again.
What I do is mount a dummy stem for travel such that the fork bearings stay in a defined state.

Does this apply to Di2 batteries as well? If so I can return my Orucase as I'll never be able to use it.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Ministry of Travel [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You WANT a Pika? I've got one, hit me up.

Quote Reply
Re: Ministry of Travel [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
because i can't leave well enough alone i shot off an email to United's media relations dept this morning. i'll let you know what they say. i'm also going to next poll our readers on whether, really, they're likely to change airline alliances as a result of baggage policies.

Dan,

Thank you for doing this.

It will be interesting if United takes notice of what the competition has done and make some changes.

In Canada, we are fortunate that both Air Canada and West Jet have a $50 bike fee. The only variable here, is do they add the First Checked Bag fee on top of that. So sometimes when you check the bike it is $50, sometimes it is $75 and sometimes it is just $25(First Checked Bag Fee). There seems to be the usual confusion with Counter Check In Agents about this. No matter, it was always WAY less than what the U.S. carriers had historically charged.

Now where Canadians had often got fooled, was if you book via 3rd party online sites, Expedia, Hotwire etc . . and you book by lowest fares, sometimes you may find a flight from Toronto to, say Atlanta is LESS with one of the American carriers vs AC or WJ. But then if you added, those historically higher bike fees, you would come out behind vs going with AC or WJ and just paying the set $50 bike fee!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Ministry of Travel [Blackbeard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blackbeard wrote:
I have the SciCon AeroComfort 3.0 TSA. I have used hard-sided clam-shells and for me, the biggest advantage the SciCon offers is allowing me to keep the cockpit/handlebars attached (as the associated wiring and hydraulic lines). IMO, the TSA, and not the airline, will be your biggest enemy of travelling. I have never been successful in getting a TSA agent to stop what they are doing and inspect by bike bag prior to departure. The bikes I travel with have skewers and thru-axles and the TSA have no idea how to operate thru-axles. Most of the time, the skewed wheel is detached and not put back in properly. It hasn't led to damage but allow for more movement within the bag.

I also travel with discs removed, derailleur detached and placed within the triangle, wheels with sealant aired down to 15-20psi (enough the retain the bead seal).

The Lezyne Travel floor drive pump is awesome - https://ride.lezyne.com/...ucts/1-fp-tfldr-v206

i have sent off a note to TSA's media relations, asking them whether it's appropriate to request a bike case inspection in your presence. i don't have an answer yet.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For international flyers travelling to US ... United will charge $200 each way. Air Canada is $50 (with only a slight detour).

Australians got it the best. Virgin Australian will not charge a fee as long as the weight is within the checked baggage allowance. That’s domestic policy I don’t know about their international.

This was my experience in the last few years, things might be different now.

Every time I’ve flown my bike into the US, TSA always leaves a note in my box to say they’ve gone through it. So if you can get them to check it while you’re there, that’d be ideal (luckily no damage to my bike).

This might sound a bit over the top but if you’re travelling somewhere that sells bikes cheaper than where you live .. buy the bike there, take a few training rides, do your race then bring it back. That incurs only one fee instead of a return fee (e.g $200 x 2). ONLY if you’re planning to buy a new bike. I live in a very expensive country so for me, anywhere else is cheaper to shop.
Last edited by: snail: Sep 19, 19 1:40
Quote Reply
Re: Ministry of Travel [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've always explicitly been asked about "spare" lithium batteries, as that is what is explicitly banned by the FAA in checked luggage. They do allow batteries installed in personal electronics as long as they "[are] turned completely off, protected from accidental activation, and packed so they are protected from damage." Shimano Di2 batteries are very much on the small scale of personal electronics batteries (500 mAh vs 2716 mAh for an iPhone X). The only potential hiccup could be that there is a specific callout for "Portable recreational vehicles" that are mostly banned by airlines, but they use huge batteries. I would expect you're likely ok with the Di2 battery, but I would just mention it outright when checking your bag. Worst case you have to pull your seatpost out and take the battery with you.

https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/
Quote Reply
Re: Ministry of Travel [HeidiC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HeidiC wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

5) Flying to Europe is probably going to cost you brutal bike fees.

My husband and I just did a Tour de France trip through Trek Travel. We flew Lufthansa round trip from LAX to Lyon, France, premium economy. They did not charge us at all for my bike on the trip out, as it was under the 50 lb limit so was counted as my second piece of luggage. On the way home, it was over 50 lbs, so still a second piece of luggage but they charged €100.

Since this is a travel thread, I'll add a non-bike case tip; feel free to delete if this isn't the right place. Trip insurance. I know it's insurance and they're not selling it if they're not making money. But...I broke my fibula hiking on our trip and trip insurance saved our asses. The insurance was $256 each for the two of us. My husband and I flew home two days after I had surgery on my ankle (plate and pins inserted). Trip insurance upgraded my husband and I both to Business Class ($5600 each for last minute one way tickets), arranged wheelchair transport at the airports, and had a limo take us home from LAX. Everyone I talked to from the insurance co. on the phone was lovely and helpful. It's money thrown away if you don't need it, but if you need it, wow, what a saving grace that was for us. I don't know how we would have managed that otherwise.

How was this trip/Trek Travel? I've dreamed of doing this trip...looks amazing.
Quote Reply
Re: Ministry of Travel [FishOutofWater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FishOutofWater wrote:
Worst case you have to pull your seatpost out and take the battery with you.

https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/

Well, not that easy for me. The battery is installed in the seat tube above the bottom bracket. That is where the 2015 Slice battery mount sits. So I'd be pretty well screwed if I was already checking into my flight when this restriction was discovered.

Quote Reply
Re: Ministry of Travel [kittenmittons] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Trek Speed Concept. What kind of case works best with these? Obviously, your opinion will vary with how you prioritize:

— weight
— disassembly required
— protection
— portability

Assume you are trying to stay under the 50 pound threshold, and minimize the disassembly / reassembly process
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone actually had a problem with TSA or an airline over an internal DI2 battery? We're having to fly for the first time with a QR PR6 with the battery buried in the seat tube (SFO to MIA - no TBT service available and no one to accept UPS/FEDEX shipment at the AirBnB we are using). I know the voltage is well within the airline's allowed wattage but I'd hate to have a big problem at the last minute.
A friend of ours recently had the DI2 external battery on her Cervelo confiscated at Zurich airport on her way to Nice 70.3. They would not allow her to take it on the plane (checked or carried) and she had to scramble to locate and purchase one on arrival.
I would assume that since most Shimano tri bikes now have DI2 that this is not a problem or I would have read about it by now -but?
Quote Reply
Re: Ministry of Travel [trimule] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trimule wrote:
Has anyone actually had a problem with TSA or an airline over an internal DI2 battery? We're having to fly for the first time with a QR PR6 with the battery buried in the seat tube (SFO to MIA - no TBT service available and no one to accept UPS/FEDEX shipment at the AirBnB we are using). I know the voltage is well within the airline's allowed wattage but I'd hate to have a big problem at the last minute.
A friend of ours recently had the DI2 external battery on her Cervelo confiscated at Zurich airport on her way to Nice 70.3. They would not allow her to take it on the plane (checked or carried) and she had to scramble to locate and purchase one on arrival.
I would assume that since most Shimano tri bikes now have DI2 that this is not a problem or I would have read about it by now -but?

No issues on Southwest from PHX to DET.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trimule wrote:

i have a conference call with TSA on monday. i'll add this to the agenda. that said, the latest guidelines are that installed batteries are fine in checked luggage. i'll find out what the limits are in installed batteries. uninstalled (extra) batteries must be carried on board, in carry-on. the limit is 100 watt hours. a di2 battery is rated at 3.7 watt hours. so i don't see what the issue would be. nevertheless, we'll have this talk on monday.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Sep 21, 19 10:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trimule wrote:

note a couple of things from today's article. first, the bike case check info. second - caught me off guard - TSA has nothing to do with batteries. if they SEE a battery, they don't treat this as, say, they'd treat a tube of toothpaste that exceeds 4oz. they refer you back to your air carrier. it's an FAA thing. i assume that's the case with CO2 cartridges as well. so, i'll be interviewing someone at the FAA, maybe next week, and writing about batteries and cartridges. note that in today's article i link to the FAA's guidance on batteries. but i'll be asking them anyway.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
trimule wrote:

note a couple of things from today's article. first, the bike case check info. second - caught me off guard - TSA has nothing to do with batteries. if they SEE a battery, they don't treat this as, say, they'd treat a tube of toothpaste that exceeds 4oz. they refer you back to your air carrier. it's an FAA thing. i assume that's the case with CO2 cartridges as well. so, i'll be interviewing someone at the FAA, maybe next week, and writing about batteries and cartridges. note that in today's article i link to the FAA's guidance on batteries. but i'll be asking them anyway.

Not sure if this has changed since 2016, but I was told when flying PHL>LHR for IM Wales that I could not be present during the TSA inspection. At LHR, my bike case (Tri All 3 Velosafe) was sitting off to one side of the baggage carousel - unlatched - with the top half in place on top of the bottom half, but loose. Luckily there was no damage and nothing that had been in the case was missing.
No issues whatsoever flying back the other way (I didn't ask about the bike check as I assumed it would have been the same response as the outbound leg).
Quote Reply
Re: Ministry of Travel [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
Slowman wrote:
trimule wrote:

Not sure if this has changed since 2016, but I was told when flying PHL>LHR for IM Wales that I could not be present during the TSA inspection. At LHR, my bike case (Tri All 3 Velosafe) was sitting off to one side of the baggage carousel - unlatched - with the top half in place on top of the bottom half, but loose. Luckily there was no damage and nothing that had been in the case was missing.
No issues whatsoever flying back the other way (I didn't ask about the bike check as I assumed it would have been the same response as the outbound leg).

well, that's why i asked! this is the official statement. that's why the people from TSA are named and quoted. accordingly, i'll be querying my entire readership, asking for any instances in the last year where your experience was replicated. then i'll forward back to TSA and, one presumes, some hides will be chapped.

mind, i have pretty much always had great experience with TSA. i went out of my way to thank TSA folks during the govt shutdown because they were required to work, but they weren't getting paychecks. i always thank them. imagine the usual, and deserved, thanks for your service for those in uniform. i'm the same way with TSA. and the folks i interviewed for this couldn't have been nicer, more helpful, more immediately responsive. these folks are not your DMV. this a rock star agency in my opinion.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there a contact at the TSA that issues with this can be passed on to? I ask because I know my sister has specifically been refused by TSA agents after Dirty Kanza and Land Run this year and she was pretty frustrated about it, but didn't know who to contact. I'm guessing at these smaller regional airports, the TSA staff is not as well informed on the rules.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
WelshinPhilly wrote:
Slowman wrote:
trimule wrote:

well, that's why i asked! this is the official statement. that's why the people from TSA are named and quoted. accordingly, i'll be querying my entire readership, asking for any instances in the last year where your experience was replicated. then i'll forward back to TSA and, one presumes, some hides will be chapped.

mind, i have pretty much always had great experience with TSA. i went out of my way to thank TSA folks during the govt shutdown because they were required to work, but they weren't getting paychecks. i always thank them. imagine the usual, and deserved, thanks for your service for those in uniform. i'm the same way with TSA. and the folks i interviewed for this couldn't have been nicer, more helpful, more immediately responsive. these folks are not your DMV. this a rock star agency in my opinion.

Crazy thing is that SEA (my home airport and where the TSA agent was from that Dan talked to) is the one airport I have repeatedly been denied the option of overseeing the inspection of my bike box. Other airports have been happy to let me observe with TSA and actually in most cases the TSA agents are thankful that I am willing to come down and spend the time to observe and help talk through the best way to open and close back up the case. I will note that traveling home the day after a big race you can expect it to take some extra time (get to the airport early!) Last time I flew home I walked in to the inspection room and the TSA agent had 10 bike boxes sitting there he was trying to get through inspection.

Quote | Reply
Just flew Europe LAX Kona, in LAX my bikebox was not closed anymore the right way, but there was no damage or missing things. Must have been the Germans or do the TSA check on arrival of the luggage?
I closed it properly and in Kona it was closed improperly, the box was skewed and I thought first it was broken but everything was fine in the end.

It is a standard B&W box, WTF it can not be a problem to close it properly? It can as it appears...

By the way, did not know you can attend when TSA is checking, that's a good option. Is it at check-in that you have to ask if you can attend?
Quote Reply
Re: Ministry of Travel [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
Just flew Europe LAX Kona, in LAX my bikebox was not closed anymore the right way, but there was no damage or missing things. Must have been the Germans or do the TSA check on arrival of the luggage?
I closed it properly and in Kona it was closed improperly, the box was skewed and I thought first it was broken but everything was fine in the end.

It is a standard B&W box, WTF it can not be a problem to close it properly? It can as it appears...

By the way, did not know you can attend when TSA is checking, that's a good option. Is it at check-in that you have to ask if you can attend?

it's all right there in the article!

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a question relative to shipping a bike, not as luggage.
I'm fixing to do RAGBRAI next year and it appears that shipping a road bike would be the best option considering I would likely have 2 checked bags to make this happen.
When it comes to shipping, 130 inches is where the big break in cost comes in. Shipping is measured as L+2H+2W.
A case under 130 is about $37 each way and 131 inch case is about $97 each way - quite a difference.
From my investigations, it appears that only boxes and Serfas hard cases fit under this limit. Potentially, the Trico Ironcase may also fit under this limit, though other info says no.
I'd prefer to have a case and am looking on the used market for one.
Also, apparently the shipping companies round up in inches, so 10 1/2 inches ends up being 11. So, with their math - 10.5 x 2 is not equal to 21, but 22.
I am quite comfortable with bike disassembly, so that isn't much of a problem.
Can anyone provide some real world experience on cases that fit under 130 inches?
Quote Reply
Re: Ministry of Travel [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:
I've got a question relative to shipping a bike, not as luggage.
I'm fixing to do RAGBRAI next year and it appears that shipping a road bike would be the best option considering I would likely have 2 checked bags to make this happen.
When it comes to shipping, 130 inches is where the big break in cost comes in. Shipping is measured as L+2H+2W.
A case under 130 is about $37 each way and 131 inch case is about $97 each way - quite a difference.
From my investigations, it appears that only boxes and Serfas hard cases fit under this limit. Potentially, the Trico Ironcase may also fit under this limit, though other info says no.
I'd prefer to have a case and am looking on the used market for one.
Also, apparently the shipping companies round up in inches, so 10 1/2 inches ends up being 11. So, with their math - 10.5 x 2 is not equal to 21, but 22.
I am quite comfortable with bike disassembly, so that isn't much of a problem.
Can anyone provide some real world experience on cases that fit under 130 inches?

to be clear, there's a measurements for shipping, and there's measurements for taking a bike on a plane. the latter is the combo of just length + height + width. a typical bike box, a cardboard box, is usually about 50" x 10" x 30". that will net you your 130". as to the ironcase, the way i've seen some measure (for shipping, not airline, purposes) is to wrap a tape around the circumference, and add that to the length. if you do that i think you'll be fine with the ironcase. if you measure width and height, round up in each case, and double it, then you might be in trouble. but i've not had a situation (yet) where i've challenged this and been overruled by the parcel delivery company.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Ministry of Travel [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumpled:

Used the Trico Ironcase when on a journey to race triathlons in all the US states. Shipped via ground in brown trucks most places, flew with me too a few times. The store personnel measured the box at 128"/129". Often had them prepare return tags (or shiping tags to the next race) with the proper measurements too so I could leave the Trico at the hotel and the carrier would pick up without me being there or me having to track down an open store before heading off to the airport. The width, length, & height measurements varied an inch or two but always came in at a total of 128"/129". Sometimes on the return shipment, without me being there, the driver would change measurements that pushed up the shipment charge to the higher amounts. I always wrote a letter to the carrier with previous invoices showing the accurate measurements below the combined 130" and the carrier always credited my credit card. This happened about a third of the time. Once, the driver charged an added fee because the bike case was not in a cardboard shipping container. Strange but maybe drivers incentivized to apply inappropriate charges to customers that don't check their credit card statements. That too was credited by the carrier. Completed the journey and sold the Trico. Started another journey and bought an Orucase Ninja. That case is soft-sided and way below the 130" total. Flew without charges on SAS five times this summer. Waiting to see what happens when on board with UAL....

https://www.palmtreesahead.com/

Last edited by: djmsbr: Sep 24, 19 11:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yea I flew from PDX to Washington, DC in May 2019 paying the $150. I handed the bike box off & a United person looked it over without opening it and then added more United labeled tape. Said Good to go. Later my husband, as leaving from dropping me off saw it was taken away all the tape cut, opened and wiped with tissues. So you don't have any real protection against the "bike check".
Quote Reply
Re: Ministry of Travel [BarbBikeTechie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarbBikeTechie wrote:
Yea I flew from PDX to Washington, DC in May 2019 paying the $150. I handed the bike box off & a United person looked it over without opening it and then added more United labeled tape. Said Good to go. Later my husband, as leaving from dropping me off saw it was taken away all the tape cut, opened and wiped with tissues. So you don't have any real protection against the "bike check".

well, now, i'm getting a lot of comments about instances like this, but i just... wrote... an article... yesterday about how to inoculate yourself against this. forewarned is forearmed!

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
longtrousers wrote:

it's all right there in the article!

First I did not understand what you meant with "the" article because I'm mostly only in the triathlon forum.
Now I understand that you meant the article on the front page of this site.
Thanks for asking all of the questions to TSA and I understand that they always check at entry in the USA and the guest cannot attend.

As to the batteries: The only problem I had was checking in (the lady firstly thought it was an e-bike, I had to call the manager) and this was in Europe with Condor.
And guess what, Condor just got broke since yesterday (although I got nothing to do with that: a late revenge).
I spent hours yesterday and today to fiddle the cables through the frame again: maybe I just let the battery on next time and hope for the best: in the end it is an embedded battery (although I can't recall that they tell between embedded and not-embedded batteries in the regulations). And 2 years ago I did not encounter problems with Lufthansa and United when I left the battery on the bike.
Quote Reply

Prev Next